Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

Was your headache pretty much constant? I had your symptoms from shortness of breath down in late February/early March that was flu negative (well before we knew about how serious this could get in the US). Doctor thought it was a bad head cold triggered by allergies but it was nothing like I’ve ever had allergy wise. I felt like a truck had hit me and I was just a walking zombie. I was out of breath walking from my parking deck to my office, and just wanted to sleep when I got home.
Yes, pretty constant.

beertiki

You’d think stopping in the Keys would also be ok since its US soil. Of course, that applies only to the Magic and Wonder due to size restrictions.
[/QUOTE]

The Keys are closed to tourists. Currently we have had less than 100 cases of Covid here, while the 3 counties to the north of us have thousands. There is a road block manned by the police, only residents are allowed in.

A large majority of people here do not want cruise ships at any time. We voted to not even allow a study to widen the channel to bring in bigger ships. Cruise ships only benefit a few businesses, and cruise ship guests spend much less than other tourists.

To compare it to Disney, cruise ship guests stay off site at the cheapest hotel, bring lunch to the park, shop at the souvenir stores with $5 shirts, then eat dinner at the Golden Corral. The tourist who stays here in the Keys is like a Disney guest at the Poly with park hoppers and the dinning plan.

Lilofan

You’d think stopping in the Keys would also be ok since its US soil. Of course, that applies only to the Magic and Wonder due to size restrictions.

The Keys are closed to tourists. Currently we have had less than 100 cases of Covid here, while the 3 counties to the north of us have thousands. There is a road block manned by the police, only residents are allowed in.

A large majority of people here do not want cruise ships at any time. We voted to not even allow a study to widen the channel to bring in bigger ships. Cruise ships only benefit a few businesses, and cruise ship guests spend much less than other tourists.

To compare it to Disney, cruise ship guests stay off site at the cheapest hotel, bring lunch to the park, shop at the souvenir stores with $5 shirts, then eat dinner at the Golden Corral. The tourist who stays here in the Keys is like a Disney guest at the Poly with park hoppers and the dinning plan.
What is the unemployment rate in the Florida Keys? 3 out of every 4 people out of a job?

Seanual757

Just got revised to May 27th from what I am seeing. Good to see though!! Marie

Correct and all of Reedy Creeks inspectors have been called back as of 5/18 full time no (1 week on 1 week off) this could mean that they will be starting up construction again on Disney owned projects it could mean they are bringing in inspectors to help inspect rides. Don't know for sure I will know more on Monday.

Lilofan

-Fever was around 100 (about 5 days)
-Sore throat for 6 days
-Tons of thick mucus in my throat (thus sore throat) but no nasal congestion
-sporadic cough (not severe)
-shortness of breath, but I’m reasonably healthy, so not dangerous. I can usually work out for an hour and a half. With Covid, if I walked 15 min, I was gasping like I had run 5 miles
-bad headache
-lightheadedness and dizziness
-muscle and body aches
-serious fatigue
-chills
-clammy
-reduced appetite and sense of taste

Wife came down with it 2 days after me, then the boys had a much milder version. 6 weeks later, the boys had a rash for a week but no fever. Pediatrician suggested it was Fifth Disease (over phone; no office calls), but they had no fever with the rash and hadn’t been near anyone else. Also, they had already had Fifth Disease. Now, word is spreading of this inflammatory condition seen in kids 4-6 weeks after contracting Covid, so I imagine that’s actually what happened here.
Thanks for the update. There is a movie with Matt Damon from 2011 called Contagion that is exactly what's going on today.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Thanks for the update. There is a movie with Matt Damon from 2011 called Contagion that is exactly what's going on today.
Doubt it. Haven't seen
1481081902319927722.jpg

In my neck of the woods.

Polynesia

[/QUOTE]
I hadn’t realized people operating a business in the Keys had such a disdain for a certain type of tourist. Good to know. Ive been there as a cruise ship passenger and spent more money than I probably should have😀. I always thought I’d go back to visit as a tourist not from a cruise ship. I think I’ll take my money and go to Sanibel or Marco Island instead now. Hopefully they will appreciate my business.

Lilofan

I hadn’t realized people operating a business in the Keys had such a disdain for a certain type of tourist. Good to know. Ive been there as a cruise ship passenger and spent more money than I probably should have😀. I always thought I’d go back to visit as a tourist not from a cruise ship. I think I’ll take my money and go to Sanibel or Marco Island instead now. Hopefully they will appreciate my business.
I noticed that too. WDW cast are so happy to see you and have your business. The Florida Keys tourism workers some not all need some courtesy and customer service lessons.

beertiki

The poster was implying that cruise shop shoppers don’t spend enough money, that they’re on the cheap side. Obviously they’ve never priced a Disney cruise🚢. Yes, passengers stay on the ship to sleep.

A cruise ship passenger does not stay in a hotel or rent a house or condo, they do not eat breakfast or dinner in our restaurants. Cruise ship passengers tend to book their excursions with only a few businesses. I believe cruise ship passengers are only about 5% of our tourist revenue, yet they cause overcrowding of our streets and natural resources.

The money you spend on your Disney cruise, does not help our local economy. Only the money spent here helps the locals.

Lilofan

A cruise ship passenger does not stay in a hotel or rent a house or condo, they do not eat breakfast or dinner in our restaurants. Cruise ship passengers tend to book their excursions with only a few businesses. I believe cruise ship passengers are only about 5% of our tourist revenue, yet they cause overcrowding of our streets and natural resources.

The money you spend on your Disney cruise, does not help our local economy. Only the money spent here helps the locals.
Spending tourist dollars does not help FL Keys economy but helps the FL Keys locals? This makes absolutely no sense.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

Nothing funnier to me than someone who says “I’ve been to the Bahamas” or “I’ve been to the Turks and Caicos” when the only place they’ve been is a port that looks nothing like the rest of the country on an otherwise mostly unvisited corner of an otherwise unvisited island.

beertiki

What is the unemployment rate in the Florida Keys? 3 out of every 4 people out of a job?

In Key West it has to be 50%. Duval is a ghost town. Lots of restaurants and stores closing. Outside of Key West it's much better. My wife's salon opened this week, and women are spending $$$ on hair, skin, and nails.

He biggest gripe is we can't go have a beer at the Sugarloaf Tiki after work.

Polynesia

Perhaps you should try to push for a total ban of cruise ships stopping at your port. If I were a business I’d be happy for any tourist dollars. But that’s just me. 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom