Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildstar

I work retail front lines of groceries Publix supermarket basically in the middle of a paintball fight or doing a turf war with customer service I'm always ready for a fight.

DisneyDebRob

It's also insane to reply to a post before reading the entirety of the thread. If you did so, you would have seen that that interview with Fauci was from the time when masks were in short supply and the nature of the asymptomatic spread of the disease was not fully known (in other words, how you can spread it without knowing because you don't have symptoms). The change to recommending wearing masks came when they realized how infectious it was and also with the recommendation to have any type of facial covering, not just a surgical mask... and only when you're near others.

There is no change here. What part of "ok if you want to take the risk" did you not get? No mask + intimate contact = risk of infection.

Not shaking hands = lowering risk of infection.

This is not at all "wear masks, don't wear masks" about face at all. Don't see how you could have gotten to the conclusion.

Yes, it is. But you're conflated sneezing and coughing with aerosolized infection that comes from breathing and talking.

If COVID can be aerosolized by breathing/talking (and likely, it is, though not definitively proven by scientific standards, but until we know for sure, it's safer to presume it is), then the mask prevents spreading the infection when you're close to others. If you're far from them, you don't need the mask.

Sneezing/coughing is a different creature since sizable droplets, which definitely can be contagious, go much longer distances. Masks aren't to stop the sneezing/coughing spread since mouths should always be covered for any sneeze or cough.
Because I couldn’t give you more then one like from the bottom of your post.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

hopemax

Here is a study which examined the effectiveness of cloth and surgical masks.

"In conclusion, both surgical and cotton masks seem to be ineffective in preventing the dissemination of SARS–CoV-2 from the coughs of patients with COVID-19 to the environment and external mask surface."

Now where is the study for stopping droplets due to normal talking when both people are wearing masks?

Lilofan

similarly, I worry about CMs being told to wear the masks and being reprimanded for pulling it under their noses for 5 seconds by managers who are sitting in their a/c offices all day. I hope the managers are out in the heat all day in solidarity and as extra help enforcing the mask rules on the guests.
That is a poor excuse of not following policy. Some do not have any idea what management has to go through to make the operation run in many companies. Be part of the solution don't be part of the problem.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They won’t ever test guests no matter how quick. That will not go over well. I think he was thinking for CMs.
Agree
It would be great if Disney tested the guests as they check in to their hotel. It would be part of the registration process. It won’t catch day guests but it would help. But I agree that Disney probably won’t test guests😔
I don’t think that would matter...and Disney is NEVER going to pay for that cost/infrastructure necessary.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is a poor excuse of not following policy. One doesn't have any idea what management has to go through to make the operation run. Be part of the solution don't be part of the problem.
I do...and there are thousands of them...and they may be overworked, but the place runs on all the low level nametags. Just how it is.

And these “policies” are completely new...nobody has a clue about the burden up and down the line.

Mask it for an 8 hour shift in the sun...because we can’t go inside due to recirculated forced air and “social distancing”...in Florida.

I won’t belittle anyone until I walk in their shoes. And it’s not Shanghai. Reserve judgment and tough talk without knowledge. My advice.

jmp85

Now where is the study for stopping droplets due to normal talking when both people are wearing masks?

Here's one: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

There is some evidence supporting the fact that masks reduce transmission, but I wouldn't call it a slam dunk just yet.

For the record, I'm not a "never masker." I have a mask and will wear it if I need to leave the house, but I'm not completely sold that paper masks will meaningfully reduce transmission. I think people are taking a "better safe than sorry" approach to the issue, which is understandable.

jmp85

If someone is already coughing because they're sick with COVID-19, they should be at home in quarantine. The issue is asymptomatic spread through respiratory droplets created while talking and breathing. Any face covering greatly reduces the chances of a pre- or asymptomatic spreader infecting others.

Where is there a study that reasonably proves "any face covering greatly reduces the chances" of spread?

TrainsOfDisney

A report from a guy that visited Shanghai with the restrictions. Some good takeaways and a few reasons why some things won’t work, especially shops.
Widely ignored floor markings, packed shops. Oh boy.

I think this got lost and buried in the 1,000th mask debate. There is SO much in this article. This is the real deal, an AP from Shanghai who has been in the park with the new restrictions. This answers a lot of questions including the fact that even with very limited capacity, shops and restaurants were still crowded.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think this got lost and buried in the 1,000th mask debate. There is SO much in this article. This is the real deal, an AP from Shanghai who has been in the park with the new restrictions. This answers a lot of questions including the fact that even with very limited capacity, shops and restaurants were still crowded.
Social distancing is not realistic in any, way, shape, or form in a Disney theme park. Either accept the risk and reopen, or don’t.

Disney Analyst

The point of the mask isn't about your health, it is about protecting others' health.
So it isn't about you signing a waiver.

As I have said before, if anything it's a better tool to maintain safety for their Cast.

Again, the last thing Disney needs is an outbreak among Cast Members which would likely result in a shut down of the park again, they will take a better safe then sorry approach. Safety is the number one key. And with limited capacity already, anyone who refuses to go due to mask requirements will just be replaced by a guest willing to visit with those requirements.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The point of the mask isn't about your health, it is about protecting others' health.
So it isn't about you signing a waiver.
As I’ve said...I’m not condoning masks for show. Nor would I want to endanger anyone. When I have to leave my confines...I’m wearing a minimum half face respirator that is fit tested to me.

OSHA, NIOSH, NIST protection factors known through proper use, testing and cleaning/storage.

So a “sneeze guard” that doesn’t seal cannot do what it’s being presented as. It’s a headfake. Those should have waivers as well.

celluloid

Going in the parks with a mask is going to happen. CEO Chapek already announced it to the world. The smallish first aid stations at the parks may be stressed to the max. The hot summers cause heat exhaustion and wearing masks may push the numbers of guests affected by heat exhaustion even higher.

I was not speaking of park masks, I was talking about agreeing with "mom" that demonizing or self righteous behavior gets tiresome or hateful.
Since you brought up your thoughts on masks likely willing happen, but do not say anything is certain. The guy you quoted was going to be CEO.

brianstl

As I’ve said...I’m not condoning masks for show. Nor would I want to endanger anyone. When I have to leave my confines...I’m wearing a minimum half face respirator that is fit tested to me.

OSHA, NIOSH, NIST protection factors known through proper use, testing and cleaning/storage.

So a “sneeze guard” that doesn’t seal cannot do what it’s being presented as. It’s a headfake. Those should have waivers as well.
Masks in outdoor hot and humid WDW parks will end up having an opposite effect of what most people believe. The virus transmits most effective by droplet. A wet mask is a droplet machine.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Los Angeles County’s stay-at-home orders will “with all certainty” be extended for the next three months, Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer acknowledged during a Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday. Ferrer said that would only change if there was a “dramatic change to the virus and tools at hand.”

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Los Angeles County’s stay-at-home orders will “with all certainty” be extended for the next three months, Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer acknowledged during a Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday. Ferrer said that would only change if there was a “dramatic change to the virus and tools at hand.”

good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom