Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW862

The Medical Profession and their Doctors and Scientists can give wonderful information on the critical nature of how many people will die from Covid19 under different scenarios. However, they are unable to provide critical information on how those decisions will affect our economy. Also, other doctors and scientists can give testimony on how many people will die due to denial of elective procedures and suicides as a result of unemployment. The long term ramifications have been completely ignored. Also the required massive tax increases needed to pay for all thr bonds being issued will reduce everyone's income and ability to buy quality food, thus reducing the health and welfare of millions and lead to more deaths. Yes, listening to the medical professionals is important but we must listen to all of them and the economic experts and. other medical experts on those effects. This is not as easy as listening to just the medical experts on Covid19 as some would like becsuse its easy to say shut everything down and stay at home until this is over but if we all did that we would all die as nothing would be produced.
Where did I say that I support staying at home? Reading compensation skills is something you're clearly lacking.

Wearing a face mask, and social distancing will not destroy the economy. You're crazy if you think we can go back to normal as if nothing happened.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Patcheslee

Not to get too far off subject: I got to be the one of my works guinea pigs. Changing from a temporal no-touch thermometer to a single person thermal image temperature that is supposed to measure at the tear ducts. (I wear a winter hat in and outside). Normal morning procedure is temporal on my forehead average 97.8F for me. The imaging type being tested for screening has me as 101.3F immediately after removing my hat. I knew it raised a little with a hat on but that seems excessive. Maybe needs calibrated better? :facepalm:
So IF Disney goes to temp scans it may be extremely wise to keep all head coverings off if possible.

Angelo721

We are speculating. 200 pages ago there were people writing about Disney Not Opening until January 2021. All of this can change on the hour.

I hate the masks myself and would probably not go if they are a requirement, but what if... We could all wear Storm Trooper Helmets instead of masks (they filter out toxins). Can you imagine all of the troopers walking around the Kingdom :) And you get a different colored helmet depending on your annual passholder level. With normal ticket holders getting plain white. If you pass a quick test then you can get a special 501st Vader Fist helmet.

Isn't it a bit much to Social Distance and wear a mask? You do one or the other just in case someone coughs or sneezes. So why not do one or the other.

Lilofan

We are speculating. 200 pages ago there were people writing about Disney Not Opening until January 2021. All of this can change on the hour.

I hate the masks myself and would probably not go if they are a requirement, but what if... We could all wear Storm Trooper Helmets instead of masks (they filter out toxins). Can you imagine all of the troopers walking around the Kingdom :) And you get a different colored helmet depending on your annual passholder level. With normal ticket holders getting plain white. If you pass a quick test then you can get a special 501st Vader Fist helmet.

Isn't it a bit much to Social Distance and wear a mask? You do one or the other just in case someone coughs or sneezes. So why not do one or the other.
Wearing masks are reality. In the past, you could not even wear a mask entering a bank, police station or liquor store. During Halloween there were stores that had signs on the front door - No Masks Allowed.

Last edited:

bcoachable

Of all the years I've been visiting I've never seen police or security detaining a person for assault over a FP. Not saying to doesn't happen, but I also have not seen anybody detained for face mask violation either.

My original question still stands. Does the OP think we will see Police and/or security stepping in for violations of face mask policy?
Shhh- It is Disney's secrete service

The Mom

Premium Member
Where did I say that I support staying at home? Reading compensation skills is something you're clearly lacking.

Wearing a face mask, and social distancing will not destroy the economy. You're crazy if you think we can go back to normal as if nothing happened.

But we don't know exactly what will happen, yet. Maybe it will, maybe it won't - it is certainly doing a lot of damage short term. But so would thousands of people calling in sick in a short period of time.

Again, we don't know what the end result will be, but we can't remain as we are forever. The question becomes, what is the safest way to get a close to normal as possible? And people are just acting on predictions - which do do always agree.

But those who want to go out without a mask are not evil, nor are those who prefer to stay at home, etc a bit longer saints. We are all sailing through uncharted waters.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

If they can make my storm trooper mask with AC that may actually be better than pre-Covid. I’m in :)

On the mask vs social distancing thing here’s my understanding. Social distancing itself is a combination of restricting the number of people gathering together and keeping physical distance of 6 feet from others. When you take away the limit on group gatherings (phase 3 of the federal plan) they still talk about limited physical distancing. The masks were added in to supplement the physical distancing for situations where it may not be practical to always keep 6 feet apart in passing or where you would be with other people for an extended period of time. The masks are intended to stop you from spreading the virus to others. Back in March they were only recommending masks when interacting with others for people who tested positive or had symptoms and were awaiting their test results. As we have learned more about the virus it became more clear that there’s a large amount of asymptomatic spread (initial anti-body testing in NY and CA have supported that theory). Because of the lack of symptoms they changed the mask recommendation to everyone wear one to catch asymptomatic spreaders.

In summary if you know you will only have casual contact and can stay at least 6 feet away no need for a mask. That’s why when I walk the dog around the block I don’t need one.

celluloid

But those who want to go out without a mask are not evil, nor are those who prefer to stay at home, etc a bit longer saints. We are all sailing through uncharted waters.

Well said. No one knows what is "right" or "best" yet. And there is going to be a time like everything else where ultimately that is up to the individual family unit, party, or person.

Lilofan

Well said. No one knows what is "right" or "best" yet. And there is going to be a time like everything else where ultimately that is up to the individual family unit, party, or person.
Going in the parks with a mask is going to happen. CEO Chapek already announced it to the world. The smallish first aid stations at the parks may be stressed to the max. The hot summers cause heat exhaustion and wearing masks may push the numbers of guests affected by heat exhaustion even higher.

Wildstar

I'm picturing cast members having to carry Sharpies, ready to pounce and apply hash marks to wet, nasty masks. "Oh, wait, I see you've already got two hash marks on there. Security!" :p:D
I'm a certified paintball referee for hell survivors paintball in Michigan. what it's is the world largest Guinness book of record's paintball tournament. what we had was a key chain with a ticket in it. the tournament last Friday Saturday Sunday so if you do anything wrong your ticket is punched. 3 strikes your banned. Disney can try it my way.

Attachments

• 15893018276258377154820848507665.jpg
    15893018276258377154820848507665.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 15893019061107173429551140477200.jpg
    15893019061107173429551140477200.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 29474f08-f9a7-4f03-8862-2a1eeefa02b5.jpg
    29474f08-f9a7-4f03-8862-2a1eeefa02b5.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 66

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I saw that. Plus the people of China will obey the mask rule. Not so sure here. Masks will be difficult. Will be interesting to see if Disney requires them for guests or if they’ll hold off and open when they’re not required.
Ok...I’ve never really used N95s...

I’ve used p100s and scbas on many occasions...more heavy gear

I had an n95 mask on for about 30 minutes yesterday...holy crap.
In Florida? No way

Anyone saying they’ll “deal with it” will do so without enjoyment...or they’re lying to themselves.

Miss Bella

Ok...I’ve never really used N95s...

I’ve used p100s and scbas on many occasions...more heavy gear

I had an n95 mask on for about 30 minutes yesterday...holy crap.
In Florida? No way

Anyone saying they’ll “deal with it” will do so without enjoyment...or they’re lying to themselves.
You won't have to wear an N95, Just a cheap paper mask.

hopemax

The recommendations changed when it was discovered that this particular virus is prone to widespread asymptomatic airborne spread. It's that simple.
One of the things that I have wished the media talked more about was the actual risk for certain activities. I have wanted more information, and I think it would help people understand the masks more. However, I have been reading a lot, and trying to find doctors and health experts on Twitter and such, and eventually the rabbit hole found a personal blog that I think does a really great job of presenting information. But since it's "only" a personal blog, I didn't want to post it before, but now people are talking about masks.

This person "does the math" regarding droplets released via coughs, sneezes, breathing and talking, and therefore the minimum time you would need to do these things to be infected. I think everyone gets coughing and sneezing risks.

So the interesting ones, are breathing. It would take a minimum of 50 minutes of exposure with an infected person, if people were just in the same area, only breathing. That is reassuring, that the intermittent exposures during shopping and picking up takeout shouldn't be risky. But the implication for transportation like trains and airplanes, Broadway shows and movie theaters is not great.

However, for talking, it only takes 5 minutes of exposure. For a place like Disney, people are constantly talking around you, and if you are in a queue with someone you would certainly be exposed for 5 minutes. This also explains why office workplaces, family gatherings, church services, eating at a restaurant, these are all potential spreading situations. Getting your hair or nails done, if neither person wore a mask. Just the normal chit-chat can be more than 5 minutes. Asymptomatic spreaders and talkers = masks, either that or people have to just not talk to each other. Pick your poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom