Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mom

Premium Member
People, you have been warned about not continuing the "this is no worse than seasonal flu/this is the worst disease we have ever encountered" argument.

No one, including the experts, can give us a definitive answer as to how bad this would have been without locking things down, nor how bad it will get when things start to reopen.

They can give us educated predictions, but no one can be 100% certain - at this point. Perhaps when all the data is compiled and analyzed in the future we will have the answer. And maybe we'll never have an exact answer.

Peter Pan's Shadow

True. The virus itself isn't transmitted via air, but masks help prevent the virus-containing droplets from becoming airborne projectiles.
Sorry, just watched a stream on the difference between droplet and airborne spread and they have two completely different ramifications so I guess I was on alert when reading the word airborne. And FYI, pretty sure it's just a projectile at that point and not airborne projectile. But it's not relevant at this point. The virus is contagious is the take away. Agreed.

Ravenclaw78

Sorry, just watched a stream on the difference between droplet and airborne spread and they have two completely different ramifications so I guess I was on alert when reading the word airborne. And FYI, pretty sure it's just a projectile at that point and not airborne projectile. But it's not relevant at this point. The virus is contagious is the take away. Agreed.
LOL, no worries. You're right that I was imprecise and they are two very different vectors. You're probably also right about airborne projectile being redundant. :)

Peter Pan's Shadow

Very contagious and droplets is correct. Although they are still looking at it from the airborne transmission route and there are a few that says it possible. Still studying it the last reports I have found.
As of an hour ago the heads of our hospital were adamant it's not airborne. They are whom I quote. But the earth was flat for hundreds of years too. Certain media outlets I've seen raise this question, but they also say they report "news" too. Lol.

bdearl41

As you said, the data changes. Recommendations change. In a week, they can come out and say that new research shows that masks are spreading the infection and not preventing it, and people will be burning their masks.

So many people (including many here) have created the narrative that we should not question the authorities such as CDC, WHO, Fauci, etc. The same authorities who are clearly fallible since they were wrong about masks 30 days ago. Whose to say the "data" won't change again? And again, what type of research did they do that was never done in the past with viral outbreaks?

In the end, this whole process has shown that most people will do EXACTLY what their told and then defend the marching orders. Any person who questions it or even points out that the information has been innacurate time and time again is simply labeled a whacky conspiracy theorist.
It blows me away how little most people think. The overwhelming regurgitation of what they’re told by one scientist or one president or any news station is sickening. Opinions are given to most people now, very few I feel develop their own.

DisneyDebRob

As of an hour ago the heads of our hospital were adamant it's not airborne. They are whom I quote. But the earth was flat for hundreds of years too. Certain media outlets I've seen raise this question, but they also say they report "news" too. Lol.
The last I read was this report. Good read and who knows at this point.

seascape

In my experience, it's mostly Americans who are anti-science/scientifically illiterate.

I hate being told what to do by "the man" as much as the next guy, but I know how to listen to scientists.
The Medical Profession and their Doctors and Scientists can give wonderful information on the critical nature of how many people will die from Covid19 under different scenarios. However, they are unable to provide critical information on how those decisions will affect our economy. Also, other doctors and scientists can give testimony on how many people will die due to denial of elective procedures and suicides as a result of unemployment. The long term ramifications have been completely ignored. Also the required massive tax increases needed to pay for all thr bonds being issued will reduce everyone's income and ability to buy quality food, thus reducing the health and welfare of millions and lead to more deaths. Yes, listening to the medical professionals is important but we must listen to all of them and the economic experts and. other medical experts on those effects. This is not as easy as listening to just the medical experts on Covid19 as some would like becsuse its easy to say shut everything down and stay at home until this is over but if we all did that we would all die as nothing would be produced.

Peter Pan's Shadow

LOL, no worries. You're right that I was imprecise and they are two very different vectors. You're probably also right about airborne projectile being redundant. :)
Yeah, seems I also got caught up in this arguing forum vibe. Picking words apart and stuff. How stupid it is. I have to believe these forums were created to share info and improve people's lives in a small way using Disney as a platform. But as soon as someone makes a statement there are small tiny people waiting to make themsleves feel better by knocking others down and prove how smart they are. All I've seen is the most toxic ones feel like their right since no one wants to dealt with their BS. I'm pretty sure there are other forums for that. You've done yourself a service by being cool in the face of douchebaginess. Lol.

Chi84

Premium Member
The mask requirement is still hypothetical at this point, and the discussion has already gone the way of every other "rules" discussion. For every person who does not want to be told what to do, there is another who is positively gleeful at being able to dictate someone else's behavior. If you agree with something it's common sense, if you disagree it's theater.

It's an understatement to say little is known about this virus, and there are valid disagreements about the efficacy of face masks in preventing its transmission. Disparaging people under these circumstances is pretty heavy-handed. People aren't "babies" because they don't want to wear masks - WDW isn't going to callously adopt a safety requirement that is uncomfortable for people just because "the people making the decision don't have to wear them." I believe government officials and business owners are trying to do their best to balance safety concerns with the need to get businesses up and running. I personally don't believe that masks will do much to stop the transmission of the virus at Disney, for many of the reasons set out earlier in this thread. If masks are required at Disney, I'll wait until the requirement is ended because that's not the experience I want. But I would not be upset that the requirement was adopted because I think the decision would be made in good faith.

Last edited:

Miss Bella

As you said, the data changes. Recommendations change. In a week, they can come out and say that new research shows that masks are spreading the infection and not preventing it, and people will be burning their masks.

So many people (including many here) have created the narrative that we should not question the authorities such as CDC, WHO, Fauci, etc. The same authorities who are clearly fallible since they were wrong about masks 30 days ago. Whose to say the "data" won't change again? And again, what type of research did they do that was never done in the past with viral outbreaks?

In the end, this whole process has shown that most people will do EXACTLY what their told and then defend the marching orders. Any person who questions it or even points out that the information has been innacurate time and time again is simply labeled a whacky conspiracy theorist.
On April 15 Dr. Fauci told Vanity Fair that hookups on Tinder were ok if you want to take the risk, but then he also said we will never shake hands again. Cruising was OK until it wasn't. Don't wear masks then wear masks. This guy has been all over the place, but I hear he's up for sexist man alive this year. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom