Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

...I got accepted for the DCP. I don’t really know what I should do. With all this talk of chronavirus, I don’t know what state everything will be come late May.
Play it by ear and go. If you are CP you are probably not in a high risk group unless you have an underlying condition.. They will need you more than ever and if you get it it should be mild from all indications. Take normal precautions and don't change it up because of a maybe.

seascape

After thinking about some of my posts and other peoples on this tread, I think we should go over to the political board. This tread should just deal with the issue of going to Orlando or not. I apologize for my posts that did not dealy solely with what we are supposed to talk about. I will be going in April but only because I have things I have to take care of in Southwest Florida and if I have to be quarantined in Florida have a condo to stay in.

MrHappy

Maybe someone can help guide where I'm going with this. Manhattan serves approximately 4 million people on a typical weekday, 2.9 million on a weekend day, and a weekday night population of 2.05 million. https://wagner.nyu.edu/files/rudincenter/dynamic_pop_manhattan.pdf

The average daily park attendance of MK is 57,000.

So why the talk about WDW closing vs a large city - forget about the city's residents, but just quarantine entire cities from visitors. Regardless of business or pleasure, the theory of closure should apply. Right?

This is probably why closures won't happen. Rather, restrictions and reinforcement will be the most likely route until evidence proves otherwise.

techgeek

Maybe someone can help guide where I'm going with this. Manhattan serves approximately 4 million people on a typical weekday, 2.9 million on a weekend day, and a weekday night population of 2.05 million. https://wagner.nyu.edu/files/rudincenter/dynamic_pop_manhattan.pdf

The average daily park attendance of MK is 57,000.

So why the talk about WDW closing vs a large city - forget about the city's residents, but just quarantine entire cities from visitors. Regardless of business or pleasure, the theory of closure should apply. Right?

This is probably why closures won't happen. Rather, restrictions and reinforcement will be the most likely route until evidence proves otherwise.

One thought I've had about this is that the number of close-contacts can change greatly in different scenarios. In a city setting, you may come in close contact with a handful of people while in transit, but unless you work in the service sector your day-to-day interactions are probably with just the people in your office and your immediate family. If you telecommute and remove the office and transit contacts from day-to-day life it's much lower.

In a theme park environment, I don't think it's a stretch to say you have hundreds of very close contacts over the course of a day. Every line, attraction, meal, transit to and from the parks... the whole day revolves around an unending parade of different close contacts. Can you personally mitigate some of those? Yes. Most of them? That gets more challenging. Limit it to your immediate family group? Impossible.

Polkadotdress

In addition to the hospital bed and equipment shortage that could potentially occur, don't forget that doctors and nurses are human too. They very-well may also become sick, leading to a shortage of medical staff that is available to work. For example, the Head of the Italian Medical Association just died today as a result of this virus. I read an insightful article (don't ask me to cite it as it was days ago) that mentioned one of the reasons you may want to stock up on meds for a 30-day supply, is that if your own primary care doc gets sick, then it's harder for you to get a refill.

A Noble Fish

This is a great move!

No need to close it until there's an outbreak in Orlando, but this is a great preventative step.

It's a serious issue, but there's no justification for closing the swamps when there haven't been all that many cases yet. We'll get there, but not yet. We need to focus on slowing down its spread and preventative measures. WDW isn't really an ordeal.

Buried20KLeague

I think a two week lockdown would have the reverse effect. I can hear it now: "Oh, my God. You've just implemented martial law!" There would be a run for supplies and everything else before the lockdown took effect. No, it would create panic, not tamp it down.

Not to mention put hundreds of thousands of businesses out of business and unable to recover.

Though THAT has already begun with the panic that's beginning.

Buried20KLeague

...I got accepted for the DCP. I don’t really know what I should do. With all this talk of chronavirus, I don’t know what state everything will be come late May.

I'm guessing you're young and don't have any pre-existing and compromising illness that this virus seems to be a problem for? And I'm guessing you've had a dream of being in the DCP for quite some time?

Don't give up your dreams for panic.

ThatMouse

This reminds me of cruise ship policy. They should have hand washing at all restaurants anyway. There are bathrooms, but you really don't want to touch bathroom doors right before eating by the number of people who run out without washing their hands.

Buried20KLeague

The numbers aren't high - we are told to expect 60-80% infection rates... we don't have beds for all that

I'd like to see a link where you learned that 60-80% of Americans would be INFECTED. Know why? Because you didn't. You likely read that a majority will come in CONTACT with the virus. That doesn't mean they all get it. That doesn't mean that if they do, they'll even experience symptoms.

And not everyone that gets it needs a hospital bed.

1583959407079.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom