Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

natatomic

The last time I went to WDW in the Summer. I sweated from places I didn't even know I had sweat glands. I don't know if wearing a sweat-drenched mask is feasible or safe.

Regardless of whether you think masks should be worn or not I don't think they'll be able to enforce and I don't think people will be able to tolerate it in the heat.

While I agree with this, I do wonder if it will be mandatory for CMs to wear them. Indoor CMs won’t have too much of an issue. But if it’s potentially unsafe for guests to wear them all day in the heat, will it be unsafe for the cast as well?

If I had to go back to work to any of my old roles tomorrow (almost all of which were outdoors) and wear a mask, I don’t think I could do it. If that makes me a baby, so be it.

Disney Analyst

I have a vacation to a certain oceanside city in Maryland planned for August that I will gladly cancel if masks are still required because I, too, am not interested in wearing one while on vacation.
At home, while out and about? Sure. While on vacation? That's not much of a vacation. Just push it off to next year and hope for the best.

A reasonable and measured response!👏

SoFloMagic

In my opinion, I think requiring masks or not in WDW will depend when they decide to open. The sooner they open, the more likely they will require masks.

If WDW remains closed until all local and state governments allow folks to be in public gatherings without masks, then sure, no masks at WDW.

If they open any time while there are still masks in public mandates, masks will be required in WDW.
I agree, but Disney Springs is opening requiring masks, but not because of government. Neither Orange County nor Florida have mask requirements. I guess we'll see!

Miss Bella

While I agree with this, I do wonder if it will be mandatory for CMs to wear them. Indoor CMs won’t have too much of an issue. But if it’s potentially unsafe for guests to wear them all day in the heat, will it be unsafe for the cast as well?

If I had to go back to work to any of my old roles tomorrow (almost all of which were outdoors) and wear a mask, I don’t think I could do it. If that makes me a baby, so be it.
Cast members aren't walking around as much. They get breaks and hopefully, they will be provided with unlimited disposables masks.

I wear one all day at work in the air conditioning and it's pretty miserable. The biggest complaint most of us have is our ears. You wouldn't think something pressing on the back of your ears would-be so uncomfortable but it is. You can get pressure sores from this like patients get pressure sores from oxygen tubing resting against their face. I mentioned in another post what ideas healthcare workers come up with to mitigate the discomfort.
Chafing is another issue. As a runner, I know what that's like in the heat and humidity. I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing that on my face yet.
I know I don't like wearing wet sweaty clothes all day so I'm probably not going to like a wet mask on my face all day.

Patcheslee

Cast members aren't walking around as much. They get breaks and hopefully, they will be provided with unlimited disposables masks
Hopefully Disney has the sense to buy some child size disposable masks as well. My employer ones are waaaay too big. If I don't tie loops in the elastic it flops around and the chin area is oversized, so then then I walk around with a duckbill shape lol. For a factory appearance doesn't matter. But does Disney want a sloppy looking CM?

LittleBuford

I’m surprised that most people here are referring to physical discomfort as their main reason for disliking the idea of masks at Disney. For me, the much bigger issue would be the inevitable diminishment of the sense of fantasy, magic, and escapism. I don’t think I would be able to enjoy myself while wearing (and seeing others wear) such a stark reminder of this terrible crisis, nor do I want Disney to become permanently associated with it in my mind. One of the joys of returning to WDW is reliving old memories, but who would want to remember a trip taken under social-distancing conditions?

Lilofan

Getting used to it is the key. Throughout history western society has had to adapt to less then deal circumstance. To sacrifice.

Our ancestors hid in bunkers during air raids. They had to survive off rations. They dealt with blackouts. They did not have air conditioning (slight bit of humour but also kinda true).

We might have to wear masks for a while. We will survive.
To do something out of the ordinary during the current times is like trying to walk in water. Heat is a bother that is correct. My friends moved to Central Florida in the early 1980s. The summer time temps from May to October were the same. Their car, rental home and workplace did not have AC. They adapted and survived. Some Florida locals made fun of the out of state visitors and new residents that had difficulty adjusting to the weather.

sedati

I’m surprised that most people here are referring to physical discomfort as their main reason for disliking the idea of masks at Disney. For me, the much bigger issue would be the inevitable diminishment of the sense of fantasy, magic, and escapism. I don’t think I would be able to enjoy myself while wearing (and seeing others wear) such a stark reminder of this terrible crisis, nor do I want Disney to become permanently associated with it in my mind. One of the joys of returning to WDW is reliving old memories, but who would want to remember a trip taken under social-distancing conditions?
I’d say for a first time visit, this would be a weird time to go. But most people here know the parks well and I don’t think it would be that much of a detriment. As for immersion, remember all the complaints about Pandora and that we should be wearing masks on the toxic planet. This brings us closer to that level of immersion.:)

Patcheslee

Is that accurate? Is that right? Shanghai has optional mask for guests????
According to the press release directly from Shanghai Disneyland site, no it is not correct. #6 states required except while eating.
Screenshot_20200511-090323_Drive.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree, but Disney Springs is opening requiring masks, but not because of government. Neither Orange County nor Florida have mask requirements. I guess we'll see!
I don’t think state or local requirements are the primary concern for Disney. They are going to look at the whole country and base requirements on that. When most of the nation is rolling into phase 3 and social distancing is relaxed they will relax requirements. Disney will likely be conservative. They want to appear to be going above and beyond to keep people safe. They have a great reputation for safety to maintain.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
According to the press release directly from Shanghai Disneyland site, no it is not correct. #6 states required except while eating.
View attachment 469670
Could be required but not enforced. Preview for how WDW will open?

MrHappy

Interesting theory here, if MMR vaccinated people do not contract covid19, they can explain why most America children have not gotten it. I don’t recall when MMR vaccinations were required by US school systems, I think in the 70s. So this can explain the younger/older tendencies of the virus. ???

Patcheslee

Interesting theory here, if MMR vaccinated people do not contract covid19, they can explain why most America children have not gotten it. I don’t recall when MMR vaccinations were required by US school systems, I think in the 70s. So this can explain the younger/older tendencies of the virus. ???
In 2008 when pregnant I have antibodies tests including MMR as part of routine prenatal blood work. Didn't have antibodies for one so I had to the the vaccine again after I gave birth. This is something pretty common to have done. All I can see is the link that less women have had fatal cases of COVID-19.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In 2008 when pregnant I have antibodies tests including MMR as part of routine prenatal blood work. Didn't have antibodies for one so I had to the the vaccine again after I gave birth. This is something pretty common to have done. All I can see is the link that less women have had fatal cases of COVID-19.
Some schools and daycare centers require workers to get tested for antibodies to make sure they are protected and not bringing measles into work. There is a percent of people vaccinated where it doesn’t work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom