Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina_yankee

I was just curious we don’t in the hospital it’s not practical. I’ve noticed in other places employees don’t adhere to it.

I'm sure it depends on type of business and region of country. I do have a friend whose boss totally ignores social distancing, and it frustrates he no end, especially since he's had pneumonia and come in to work. Apparently was really pneumonia and not Covid as nobody got sick.

Kevin_W

Of course it will if you go into it with that attitude. It’s all in what you make of it. Are you glad to be out of your house with a mask on or would you rather be at your house in quarantine. I hate the mask, but Walt Disney keeps speaking in the back of my head “There is great comfort and inspiration in the feeling of close human relationships and its bearing on our mutual fortunes - a powerful force, to overcome the ‘tough breaks’ which are certain to come from time to time”

Well said.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To those of you working do you really adhere to the 6 foot rule with your coworkers?
It was my understanding that in places where the 6 foot rule couldn’t be practically followed masks were the replacement for it. That’s why some grocery and essential stores started requiring masks because there‘s no way to guarantee people will never cross within 6 feet of each other. The 6 foot rule is also a general guideline for casual contact not an absolute. In situations where you would be in the proximity of another person for an extended period of time masks are preferred even if you stay more than 6 feet apart.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Haven't come across the video yet, but Chapek was on CNBC this morning -

Maybe it’s reading too much into this, but if he’s saying masks would be required and that masks would be really challenging in the summertime is he hinting that they won’t be open in the summer? DLR would be less challenging since the temps are more moderate with less humidity. Who knows.

DisneyDebRob

For queues and food lines, yes. I think where it may be relaxed is in larger venues. Can you really stay 6 feet apart at Fantasmic? No, but if the NFL comes back in phase 3 and has fans in the stands at football games then Disney will have a better leg to stand on if they choose to run shows. It’s also possible they just moth ball those types of venues indefinitely.
If you look at the Shanghai video that was posted a few days ago with the walk through the park and want they are doing about social distancing, don’t think it can work. Multiple times throughout the video the head of the park mentioned the boxes that people will be in are separated by one meter to the next box. From the outdoor shows to the quick service restaurant. That’s a little over 3 feet so it seems disney even knows that can’t do 6 ft. They are telling us that 6 foot can’t be done.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If you look at the Shanghai video that was posted a few days ago with the walk through the park and want they are doing about social distancing, don’t think it can work. Multiple times throughout the video the head of the park mentioned the boxes that people will be in are separated by one meter to the next box. From the outdoor shows to the quick service restaurant. That’s a little over 3 feet so it seems disney even knows that can’t do 6 ft. They are telling us that 6 foot can’t be done.

they will figure something out.

Polynesia

Haven't come across the video yet, but Chapek was on CNBC this morning -

It will be challenging. Everyone has a choice if this is acceptable or not. If not, wait until it’s not necessary to wear a mask. If this isn’t a big deal for you, then go and enjoy your visit. This may be our new normal for awhile and each of us needs to decide if we can handle it for different circumstances. The hair salon I go to will open next week with lots of rules. Stylist and customer must wear masks and sanitize their hands before each appointment. You wait in the car until called. I’m appreciative that they’re doing all this to keep everyone safe. The same goes for Disney. Safety is first.

Patcheslee

It will be challenging. Everyone has a choice if this is acceptable or not. If not, wait until it’s not necessary to wear a mask. If this isn’t a big deal for you, then go and enjoy your visit. This may be our new normal for awhile and each of us needs to decide if we can handle it for different circumstances. The hair salon I go to will open next week with lots of rules. Stylist and customer must wear masks and sanitize their hands before each appointment. You wait in the car until called. I’m appreciative that they’re doing all this to keep everyone safe. The same goes for Disney. Safety is first.
Daughters piano lessons finally started back up last week. Have to stay in vehicle and call to check her in. Then teacher comes to get her, wipes door handle, everyone washes hands, teacher wipes down piano, lesson, wipe down piano and hands again after lesson, walked back to car, and door handle wiped again. Definetly different routine but at least she gets "air hugs" from her teacher. She's 11 so mask for 30minutes is doable at least.

Kevin_W

Peak of daily COVID-19 deaths still in Florida’s future, model now shows:

View attachment 469722

The model for Florida didn't change from the 5/4 to the 5/10 update to the IHME model, so interesting timing on the news story. Deaths in Florida have declined the past few days, unlike what the model shows, but its possible that they will rise as some numbers may have not been added in yet.

In general, the recent IHME models have changed to have a much longer and flatter "tail" in cases and deaths than they were predicting a month ago. Which is indeed what we seem to be seeing in the US, cases have been flat in many places for quite some time now, but they have been flat to slightly decreasing rather than the faster decrease that the modes had predicted (and we had hoped for).

Disney Analyst

Here is the video from CNBC and Chapek this morning -

So there we have it folks. The CEO has said they will “likely require cast members and guests to wear masks”.

So now you can decide for yourself when to go back to the parks.

I personally wouldn’t go back until everything is running 100% normal again, including parades / fireworks. I’m not paying that much to not get a full experience.

Polynesia

I look at this and go, this looks like an amazing time to go on rides with little to no wait everywhere, then after the reservations only period is over, I can do the shows, parades, etc. again.

But this from the vantage point of having an annual pass.
I agree. If you’re a pass holder or have been many times this might not be a big deal. If this is a trip of a lifetime or only come every few years you might want to wait. With limited capacity I doubt they’ll have trouble getting enough guests to come.

Kevin_W

I agree. If you’re a pass holder or have been many times this might not be a big deal. If this is a trip of a lifetime or only come every few years you might want to wait. With limited capacity I doubt they’ll have trouble getting enough guests to come.

Yes, I agree with you both. I think we'd all agree that it's not nearly as good as Disney without masks and with full entertainment offerings. Most of us would probably agree that Dinsey with masks is still more fun than sitting in our houses.

the question becomes if it is the best use of the limited resources of time and money. For many, that will probably be no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom