Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Bella

Anyway my point in sharing that terrible news isn't to say that this one death is the thing that should change people's minds about the safety of going to the parks.

It's to say that we are still in a very difficult world where what we know is changing day by day. There is still too much we don't know to be rushing into things.
Why did you ask if we were willing to risk our children’s lives to go to WDW? That seems a little inflammatory.

Rider

We have enough information to be saying it. The complication isn't new. Children have presented symptoms like this since the start of the outbreak. They have only recently made the connection to the virus. Out of the children that presented with these symptoms since the start of the outbreak this is the only one that has died in the US, If children were dropping dead of this at any kind of rate we would be bombarded with that news non stop. The vast majority of children infected with this virus are asymptomatic.
These new symptoms were first published a few days ago from cases seen in mid April. https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0140-6736(20)31094-1 Too soon to know anything for sure.

Why did you ask if we were willing to risk our children’s lives to go to WDW? That seems a little inflammatory.

I shared my story about not being willing to risk a cross country trip to my parents/grandparents not because I am afraid of catching Covid personally but because I am scared of passing it to them and the fear of unbearable guilt if the worst happened.

It's a legitimate question. How much are people willing to risk their loved ones safety to go to Disney World.

I've already lost two family members to COVID-19. I couldn't help them but I am also lucky that I don't blame myself for their deaths. That is more than enough, thank you.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
These new symptoms were first published a few days ago from cases seen in mid April. https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0140-6736(20)31094-1 Too soon to know anything for sure.
Am I reading that graph correctly? 8 people total and the clinical presentations are all over the place. And out of the whopping total of 8 (single digits) patients, only 2 were actually positive for covid. The rest are "likely" exposure?

Of the eight patients, 6 are afro-carribean and 1 middle east, 1 Asian. Not exactly a broad spectrum

TrojanUSC

There is a huge difference between potentially exposing the elderly and other groups at highly elevated risk of serious complications from COVID 19 and taking healthy children to a theme park.

This is true, but the bigger issue is there's a lot of guests with comorbidities who are unaware they have them. Also, with many asymptomatic cases, you might bring home an extra souvenir you are unaware of and accidentally kill a loved one.

Last edited:

Rider

Am I reading that graph correctly? 8 people total and the clinical presentations are all over the place. And out of the whopping total of 8 (single digits) patients, only 2 were actually positive for covid. The rest are "likely" exposure?

Of the eight patients, 6 are afro-carribean and 1 middle east, 1 Asian. Not exactly a broad spectrum

Reports of these symptoms in kids have exploded since the report was published.

TrojanUSC

It was just 3 months ago when people were saying the same things about Covid in general (see page 1 of this thread). That it was only old people. Now in the US we've seen people in their 40s, 30s, 20s, teens and younger get sick and die.

If you go back far enough (though they may have since been deleted) you'll find people wondering why WDW was closing when only a few people had died in the US. Now we've lost more than the entire Vietnam War in 5 weeks.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It was just 3 months ago when people were saying the same things about Covid in general (see page 1 of this thread). That it was only old people. Now in the US we've seen people in their 40s, 30s, 20s, teens and younger get sick and die.

unless I am mistaken, deaths in children in the US due to Covid remains in the single digits. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. So let us not create a false narrative that children are dying all over the place from this. Pretty much everything on this planet is riskier to kids than Covid. (I do get that the parents who actually lost a child to this won’t give a crap about what I’m saying). The risk is children passing it on to older or sick people.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
There is a huge difference between potentially exposing the elderly and other groups at highly elevated risk of serious complications from COVID 19 and taking healthy children to a theme park.
But noooooo! We should quarantine the HEALTHY, even though we have never done that in this country when far worse viruses killed far more people.

JohnD

So my family was originally going to be arriving in Orlando today for a week at the parks. Obviously that isn't happening now.

I still had the week off and so I started thinking about driving up to see them instead. I haven't really been out of the house in weeks without wearing a mask so I felt pretty low risk about having Covid.

But the more I thought about it even the low risk that I could pass the virus to my parents or grandparents is too high for me. How could I live with myself if they got sick because of me? If they died?

It's easy for people to minimize the perception of risk to themselves. It's not as easy to do the same when making decisions about your loved one's safety.

Let’s think about your situation. Do you live alone or with others? Have you been in a work environment for any period of time? If so, and you and your co-workers haven’t shown symptoms you’re probably fine. You can’t get tested unless with symptoms (although localities may vary on this.) If you were to visit them drive straight there unless you have to visit a rest area then wear a mask. I bring all this up because that is what I’m doing this weekend.

TrojanUSC

But noooooo! We should quarantine the HEALTHY, even though we have never done that in this country when far worse viruses killed far more people.

We have never actually had a virus that had this level of asymptomatic spread and this amount of randomness as to who gets hospitalized. Lots of younger people are being hospitalized, they just pull through more.

brianstl

This is true, but the bigger issue is there's a lot of guests with cormorbiitis who are unaware they have them. Also, with many asymptomatic cases, you might bring home an extra souvenir you are unaware of and accidentally kill a loved one.
We weren't talking about adults with comorbidities, the poster said people would be risking their children's lives.

I don't go into my parents home now. I am not bringing them to WDW or going to home into their home after going to Disney. When the family gets together it is on the patio with more than six feet away from each other. If you are going into the home of the elderly for any non truly essential reason, you are doing this whole thing wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom