Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hypertension is pretty easy to control with medication. It’s also pretty easy to find out if you have it.
It is and it is. Sadly a lot of people either can‘t afford or can’t be bothered to have regular medical exams. The link between hypertension and Covid is still not fully known. I‘ve seen some speculation that its advanced age and not the hypertension that is the real risk factor. It’s a what came first the chicken or the egg scenario. The vast majority of people over 60 have hypertension. Covid is more lethal in people with hypertension. Is that because of the hypertension Itself or because of the age. There haven’t been studies yet that have proved definitively why high blood pressure would increase the severity of the disease. There’s also debate on whether ACE inhibitors (the most common hypertension medicines) add to the problem of may actually help. Lots of theories but no conclusions yet.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Does anyone know room aren’t available anymore at CSR until August 10? I heard NBA rumors. I have a reservation there in July.
Seems like there are some rooms available but in limited room types. Maybe they are anticipating closing all or most of the resort. It is a popular convention location but there won’t be any of those for quite a while now. It could be for the NBA too but that doesn’t seem long enough for them unless they go straight to a limited playoff run. The NBA playoffs usually take a few months.

trainplane3

So PA moved more counties to yellow with a big announcement of "Western PA is now yellow"...well except for one spot.
I live in that spot.
🤣 This is too funny.
state.JPG

Miss Bella

It is and it is. Sadly a lot of people either can‘t afford or can’t be bothered to have regular medical exams. The link between hypertension and Covid is still not fully known. I‘ve seen some speculation that its advanced age and not the hypertension that is the real risk factor. It’s a what came first the chicken or the egg scenario. The vast majority of people over 60 have hypertension. Covid is more lethal in people with hypertension. Is that because of the hypertension Itself or because of the age. There haven’t been studies yet that have proved definitively why high blood pressure would increase the severity of the disease. There’s also debate on whether ACE inhibitors (the most common hypertension medicines) add to the problem of may actually help. Lots of theories but no conclusions yet.
Obesity is the biggest factor I've seen with people under 60, but that goes hand in hand with hypertension and diabetes. If anything good comes out of this maybe Americans will start taking better care of themselves.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Obesity is the biggest factor I've seen with people under 60, but that goes hand in hand with hypertension and diabetes. If anything good comes out of this maybe Americans will start taking better care of themselves.
I was pretty happy to see how much more diligent people have become with hand washing in the bathroom before we all got sent home ;) There’s a few good things that may come out of this whole thing...it mostly just sucks though :)

Rider

First US death of a child due to the COVID-19 linked mysterious illness appearing in kids.

Will people risk their children's lives to go to Disney World?

hopemax

Here in CO, Denver public schools announced that they will reopen in August as expected. However, expect a mixture of classroom and online learning. Reading through the lines, it looks like with the advice of the health department, that they decided it would be better for the virus ripple effects to happen in August/September when warmer weather might slow down the spread, then later. This is what I expected. We're sort of handing out "boarding passes" for when people can get sick as a hedge against a vaccine. Controlled infections not uncontrolled. Kids in school reduces a lot of issues, and they and their parents are statistically a low risk group. Deal with the higher risk subset (older teachers, families with vulnerable individuals) on an individual basis. I also expect once an antibody test proves itself for reliability, we know more about immunity, then they will encourage testing so that if things spike, the schools can stay open, or go online for a shorter time (flu closure level, not months).

All things subject to change depending on ground conditions.

natatomic

First US death of a child due to the COVID-19 linked mysterious illness appearing in kids.

Will people risk their children's lives to go to Disney World?

Listen, a child dying from ANYTHING is one child too many, and it is heartbreaking and tragic no matter how you look at it. That being said, if this disease has literally killed only one minor in the *entire* country, the risk is actually pretty minuscule compared to many other things we do every day. I wouldn’t call taking a kid to Disney a “risk“ in this situation.

Rider

The drive down from NYC to Orlando is riskier.

So my family was originally going to be arriving in Orlando today for a week at the parks. Obviously that isn't happening now.

I still had the week off and so I started thinking about driving up to see them instead. I haven't really been out of the house in weeks without wearing a mask so I felt pretty low risk about having Covid.

But the more I thought about it even the low risk that I could pass the virus to my parents or grandparents is too high for me. How could I live with myself if they got sick because of me? If they died?

It's easy for people to minimize the perception of risk to themselves. It's not as easy to do the same when making decisions about your loved one's safety.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Listen, a child dying from ANYTHING is one child too many, and it is heartbreaking and tragic no matter how you look at it. That being said, if this disease has literally killed only one minor in the *entire* country, the risk is actually pretty minuscule compared to many other things we do every day. I wouldn’t call taking a kid to Disney a “risk“ in this situation.
It is more than one I believe. But the number of cases and deaths is so limited, your point still stands.

Rider

In children the flu has been far deadlier than this virus. Are people risking their children's lives when they go to Disney during flu season?

We don't have enough information to say that. Flus have been happening for centuries. COVID-19 has only been around for a few months and this new complication in kids has only been known for a couple weeks.

Rider

Anyway my point in sharing that terrible news isn't to say that this one death is the thing that should change people's minds about the safety of going to the parks.

It's to say that we are still in a very difficult world where what we know is changing day by day. There is still too much we don't know to be rushing into things.

brianstl

We don't have enough information to say that. Flus have been happening for centuries. COVID-19 has only been around for a few months and this new complication in kids has only been known for a couple weeks.
We have enough information to be saying it. The complication isn't new. Children have presented symptoms like this since the start of the outbreak. They have only recently made the connection to the virus. Out of the children that presented with these symptoms since the start of the outbreak this is the only one that has died in the US, If children were dropping dead of this at any kind of rate we would be bombarded with that news non stop. The vast majority of children infected with this virus are asymptomatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom