Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Hell, I’m a rational person. If I believed I would still be home, teaching my kids in 2022, I’d lose it.

I’m only getting through the next 5 months until school returns (please!) because of Ben & Jerry’s...
I get the Ben and Jerry's, as long as you've been able to "chisel your guns".

Excellent video! I'll be sharing this around.

Last edited:

Calmdownnow

The new part, at least for me, was that they combined phase I and II together and hoped to have results by June on effectiveness. I knew they were in phase I and they had succeeded with monkeys. I don’t want to get my hopes totally up but if this pans out it could be a big game changer.
Let's hope that if the vaccine proves effective, the first millions of doses are made available primarily to health workers, care staff and other essential workers who have kept the wheels on around the globe.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Let's hope that if the vaccine proves effective, the first millions of doses are made available primarily to health workers, care staff and other essential workers who have kept the wheels on around the globe.
I don’t know how they handle it worldwide. I know in the US when H1N1 hit in 2009/2010 they rolled out the vaccine first for high risk groups including health care workers, first responders, elderly people, pregnant women and kids under a certain age. Where I live you had to go to a local government building to get the vaccine. You couldn’t get it at your doctor’s office. After the initial round they rolled it out to everyone.

Calmdownnow

I don’t know how they handle it worldwide.
There will be severe political repercussions in the UK if health service staff and care workers are not first to be protected. However, who knows in the U.S. where nobody seems to be in overall charge and States have been competing with each other and with the Federal govt for life-saving equipment and PPE.

Edit to add: Can you imagine a situation where professional sportsmen (not the women, obviously) and cage fighters were first in line for a vaccine in order to ensure companies could meet their broadcast contracts?

Last edited:

Maccabee18

I am so gutted. I had reservations for May 27th and while it was a long shot that the parks could reopen I was hoping that in some capacity I might still be able to go. And while Disney has not cancelled the reservation I was just told by my job that if I did travel to FL I would have to quarantine for two weeks at 80% of my pay when I got back.

So that sucks, and basically made the cancellation for me. Wasn't expecting it from the other direction. I wonder if other jobs would be doing that to prevent contamination in the workforce.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am so gutted. I had reservations for May 27th and while it was a long shot that the parks could reopen I was hoping that in some capacity I might still be able to go. And while Disney has not cancelled the reservation I was just told by my job that if I did travel to FL I would have to quarantine for two weeks at 80% of my pay when I got back.

So that sucks, and basically made the cancellation for me. Wasn't expecting it from the other direction. I wonder if other jobs would be doing that to prevent contamination in the workforce.
My company was doing that for any international travel in the beginning of March when all this started. Not sure if they would extend it to domestic flights as well when the place finally re-opens.

Patcheslee

For any voluntary travel to a "hot spot" we have to quarantine and don't get pay. Can use vacation but after that given points until fired. Not worth any vacation that's for sure.

Polkadotdress

Some cast members have already received notification that they are eligible and payment is processing. The one example they showed on the news for a cast member that was ineligible appeared to have the incorrect effective date. That date needs to be 4/19 as this is the first day they are furloughed. Her date was not 4/19 that she entered. I’m wondering if the system throws it out as ineligible since that person was receiving pay from Disney yet. Maybe some are entering their application date. I’m not excusing what’s happening but this is a possible scenario that is causing headaches for some.

I can attest that the unemployment system is still a complete nightmare for all, no matter what company they work for in Central FL. 38% of applicants have been deemed ineligible, many for unknown reasons as the system is not providing a way for users to see why they were declined. There is a section in the website where that info belongs, but its blank for most ineligible. So, the only option is to call, and the phone lines are a crazy, disaster mess. It is nearly impossible to get through as the line disconnects during every call. Sometimes it will say "We are too busy, call later" and then disconnect, and other times it will just randomly disconnect while you are holding waiting to talk to someone. Between my husband and I we called over 50 times in one day this week. Total nightmare...we are now on week 7 since having applied, with no pay. and no answers.

ImperfectPixie

I can attest that the unemployment system is still a complete nightmare for all, no matter what company they work for in Central FL. 38% of applicants have been deemed ineligible, many for unknown reasons as the system is not providing a way for users to see why they were declined. There is a section in the website where that info belongs, but its blank for most ineligible. So, the only option is to call, and the phone lines are a crazy, disaster mess. It is nearly impossible to get through as the line disconnects during every call. Sometimes it will say "We are too busy, call later" and then disconnect, and other times it will just randomly disconnect while you are holding waiting to talk to someone. Between my husband and I we called over 50 times in one day this week. Total nightmare...we are now on week 7 since having applied, with no pay. and no answers.
See if you can find a state representative who handles labor stuff. I had to do that for hubby because we had an issue with someone else claiming our son as a dependent and there's literally no way to contact the unemployment office in MA...you have to fill out an online form and wait for a call-back, and we never received one. The state rep was a HUGE help.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Did you see where they told people if they were deemed ineligible to just reapply?

"Any of those people who applied on or before April 4 should reapply regardless of whether they’ve received a response from the department. If they’ve applied on or after April 5, the state will be able to process their claim and they do not need to do anything, Vause said.

Vause said the state is informing people who were deemed ‘ineligible’ that they might indeed be eligible. Rather than waiting for the department to contact the ineligible applicant — or trying to appeal your denied claim — those people should just apply again online at www.FloridaJobs.org.

“Going the reapplying route is going to be quicker,” Vause said.

Those people will not be penalized for reapplying, she said, and will still be eligible for the same benefits as before."

Phil12

Lots of if’s and maybe’s but a good read anyway. All based on no vaccine of course come fall. But from pandemic experts from Tulane, Minnesota and Harvard.
The article from USA Today was not well written. Here's the summary of the report and a link:

"Whichever scenario the pandemic follows (assuming at least some level of ongoing mitigation measures), we must be prepared for at least another 18 to 24 months of significant COVID-19 activity, with hot spots popping up periodically in diverse geographic areas. As the pandemic wanes, it is likely that SARS-CoV-2 will continue to circulate in the human population and will synchronize to a seasonal pattern with diminished severity over time, as with other less pathogenic coronaviruses, such as the betacoronaviruses OC43 and HKU1, (Kissler 2020) and past pandemic influenza viruses have done."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom