Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawg G

Magic Kingdom was designed to handle 10 million guests per year, has barely increased its attraction capacity, has unused retail capacity and has even lost dining capacity over the past 30 years. Parks with less visitation, more service and lower prices were able to be profit centers for Disney.

Correct. Heck, if they get rid of M&Gs and shows, that saves a TON. Then just say the long lines are because of the 5e virus, not because they’ve cut costs.

This virus will be blamed for everything for years by companies.

Disorbust

So not sure if this fits here or not. My DD had to fly home today from Orlando for a medical procedure. Frontier has cut flights from 2Xs a day to once a week. She texted me the plane is COMPLETELY FULL. So much for all the social isolation. My point is if the airlines don't give a dam why should Disney even try.

I am beyond angry. Every store/resturant/bar has closed but the airlines have no responsibility? Businesses may be able to open with half capacity but let the public fly on FULL PLANE!

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
So not sure if this fits here or not. My DD had to fly home today from Orlando for a medical procedure. Frontier has cut flights from 2Xs a day to once a week. She texted me the plane is COMPLETELY FULL. So much for all the social isolation. My point is if the airlines don't give a dam why should Disney even try.

I am beyond angry. Every store/resturant/bar has closed but the airlines have no responsibility? Businesses may be able to open with half capacity but let the public fly on FULL PLANE!
Odd and must be an outlier. There was a new report from the TSA that said they are still at 5% of their normal capacity for this time a year. To your point, with them cutting capacity/daily flights, that could certainly become an issue.

Disorbust

Odd and must be an outlier. There was a new report from the TSA that said they are still at 5% of their normal capacity for this time a year. To your point, with them cutting capacity/daily flights, that could certainly become an issue.

Is it an outlier? They were able to sell seats to fill a plane with no restrictions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I saw a similar story the other day about a pretty full flight from Miami to New York. The person being interviewed said only about half the people wore masks and there was no room to spread out. Flights on popular routes are getting more full now that they reduced daily departures. The flight attendants union is looking into taking action because they are obviously being put at greater risk. I think they want masks to be required. I’m not sure what people are thinking. I still think there are people who think this is all a hoax or just the flu. It’s fine for them to want to take a risk but the masks are for other people’s benefit not yours.

edit: here’s an article

wannabeBelle

Is it an outlier? They were able to sell seats to fill a plane with no restrictions.
Ive heard this type of thing, in the news though so I am not 100% sure how valid it is. SOme airlines claim not to be selling all seats on a plane to allow for more personal space. Im sure 6 feet isnt possible but not selling a middle seat in a rom is what I think they are getting at. Marie

wannabeBelle

An outlier in the sense that not all flights are full like your DD's was.
This kind of fits with what I was saying about the public transit system here in NYC. The bus and train system in NYC just prior to the stay at home order being in place, had very few riders and people were able to kind of spread out and not be on top of one another. Once the ridership dropped, the need for the buses and trains to run as frequently was re-evaluated from a need for the service to be there as well as a desire to protect the bus drivers and mass transit workers who have to be there. Service was cut so we are back to the buses and subways that are operating being crammed full of people, because of the scarcity of the service. I think this applies to the airlines too, as I am sure they have cut flights to the bare minimum to not fly with planes that are mostly empty. Marie

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting theory since it has been mentioned MK would be the first to open - I don't know how reputable this site is though.

This report suggests DHS would be first to open to CMs and then APs to test proposed social distancing and operational changes.

The only problem with DHS is that a large portion of their capacity is eaten up by shows which may or may not be able to open. There are also still only a couple of rides for the toddler demographic. Food may also be a problem if the tables have to be spaced. There’s a general lack of table service restaurants in DHS and AK but they could maybe set up more temporary seating.

The parking lot situation is better there but I was thinking that if they used the road to CR for parking trams they could actually take you from the parking lot right to the front gate at MK.

TrainsOfDisney

Regarding transportation to and from Disney, I saw a report with photos showing that Amtrak long distance trains had very few seats available since there were so few passengers, so rather than passengers being able to spread out, the few passengers were all seated together anyways.

It’s probably going to be the same at Disney to be honest. Make a big deal about not waiting in lines at pirates, and then fill up the boats so families are sitting right behind each other.

ToTBellHop

I saw a similar story the other day about a pretty full flight from Miami to New York. The person being interviewed said only about half the people wore masks and there was no room to spread out. Flights on popular routes are getting more full now that they reduced daily departures. The flight attendants union is looking into taking action because they are obviously being put at greater risk. I think they want masks to be required. I’m not sure what people are thinking. I still think there are people who think this is all a hoax or just the flu. It’s fine for them to want to take a risk but the masks are for other people’s benefit not yours.

edit: here’s an article
Flying between New York and Miami, perhaps they’re thinking, “I’ve already had the ‘Rona and need a damn vacation!”

natatomic

Interesting theory since it has been mentioned MK would be the first to open - I don't know how reputable this site is though.

This report suggests DHS could be first to open to CMs and then APs to test proposed social distancing and operational changes.

I have no idea how true it is, but it makes sense to me that they would do some sort of “testing“ at least with CMs first, and maybe some APs. Typically, that’s how new rides are opened, with CMs as a testers – it’s not just Disney being nice to their employees, it’s also so they can see how the operation works in practice, not just theory. See if there’s any kinks that need to be worked out before opening to the public.

A major change in all operations park wide definitely seems like it’s going to need a test group first. At least, in my humble opinion....

eduardz

This report suggests DHS could be first to open to CMs and then APs to test proposed social distancing and operational changes.

I guess this won't take long since governemnt is probably lifting phase 2 by July and phase 3 is back to normal so I guess they can re open mid June on phase 2 to get some money with such restrictions and then back to normal by July or August

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Brown Derby
50s Prime Time
Mama Melrose
Sci Fi Drive In

Plus Hollywood & Vine could provide Table Service if needed.
Right so if it’s the only park open all guests have 4 restaurants to choose from. In regular life many people hop to EPCOT or eat at Boardwalk/BC area from DHS. If they open MK and the monorail resorts (under the other plan proposed) there’s a whole lot more options.

The more I think about it the more I start to think they should just wait until we get to the FL equivalent of phase 3 and open up everything at once. These soft open and early opening scenarios provide so many logistical nightmares and hoops to jump through it’s going to be hard to pull off and make it remotely enjoyable.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

My money is still on Springs to open first, followed by MK. We've seen that before in post-hurricane conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom