Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
And people wonder why they can't get a better job than "security guard". To explain their plight they pull out all kinds of cards: age, race, gender, ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, etc. But sometimes it's none of those. Sometimes it's just because you're a doofus!

Woah, that escalated quickly.

trainplane3

Even though it isn't my area (yet), we started moving plans into place to support a higher then normal amount of work from home users about a week ago. All employee events are being canceled as well. It's extremely interesting to see how well my workplace is dealing with this, especially when you're the one on the back-end trying to make these changes work out.

Hot take: I think many other companies will see the benefits of moving users to work from home too (for the ones that are scared to move to the 21st century). Less office space needed, less money to take care of office space, and you can squeeze more hours out of people because of no commute! Personally, it's pretty great.

DisneyCane

I think the biggest issue with all gathering places is to be able to adapt to social distancing measures.

In Italy, the guidelines for shops and restaurants are that 1 meter be allowed between individuals. Obviously with a little adaptation this could be managed in a Walmart, by limiting the capacity of the store and strongly managing customer flow. Perhaps it will become feasible that sports, theatrical performances, and meetings could continue if the seating were significantly reduced / staggered to leave empty seats between individuals. Reduce touch-points by encouraging contactless card or phone transactions, having staff and resources available to wipe down surfaces frequently.

Your average theme park environment could be significantly trickier. Maybe if you cut overall park capacity significantly, half-load shows, re-route lines to avoid switchbacks and encourage distancing in lines... Challenging perhaps, but perhaps better than the alternative of a long duration complete shutdown.

I agree that this half-attempt at limiting gatherings needs to be better defined and applied uniformly. Of course, that means a park closure could come sooner rather than later if these sort of connections are made and 'uniform' bans are quickly adopted.

If you went to virtual queue only and set the rate of return times so that there was never a bottleneck where a crowd was standing still close together, you could deal with the spacing. Would have to be combined with cutting ride capacity to provide separation between parties. Your traveling party is near each other all of the time so it doesn't matter if they are sitting right next to each other on the ride.

France has somewhere around 10 times the confirmed cases per million people as the US right now. If DLP is still operating, there's a ways to go before it becomes a consideration at WDW. The number will go up but right now there are less than 3 confirmed cases in the US per million people. As with everywhere, even as new people are confirmed to be positive, people that have had the virus since weeks ago are recovering so the number of active cases will not increase at the same rate as total cases.

DisneyCane

Domestic parks are going to be closed very soon, I think you have about a week left before they shutdown. It's really reached the tipping point in terms of schools/events cancelling/postponing today

The way many people behave, the only closing is going to be phased closings when people decide to take advantage of the surprise school breaks and telecommuting to head to WDW.

Touchdown

Expect a noticeable (dramatic, scary) increase in cases this week, test kits became available and doctors have less restrictions on ordering them. This will not truely represent a massive spread but a sign we are simply testing more people, it will cause the mortality rate to decrease as well. Next weeks numbers compared to this weeks will tell us more about the spread. Don’t get me wrong, it’s spreading it’s just not spreading as bad as the numbers will appear this week.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I saw on the news that people are trying to leave and escape Italy and people trying to enter Austria are subjected to a temperature check at the border.

Lilofan

In regards to WDW buses, are they ever wiped down or cleaned during the day while the bus is operating? When I ride them, it's like being squeezed inside a sardine can. And WDW statement regarding rigorous cleaning process, has anyone seen anything different?

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Domestic parks are going to be closed very soon, I think you have about a week left before they shutdown. It's really reached the tipping point in terms of schools/events cancelling/postponing today
Current line for FOP is 2 1/2 hours so......seems like plenty of people aren't too concerned.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
In regards to WDW buses, are they ever wiped down or cleaned during the day while the bus is operating? When I ride them, it's like being squeezed inside a sardine can. And WDW statement regarding rigorous cleaning process, has anyone seen anything different?

Only if there's a protein spill. You might even have to aspirate air that has passed through someone else's' lungs!

dizneycrazy09

I’m a healthy 30 year old, and I’m being very selfish here, but I really hope they don’t close before our trip. We leave 2 weeks tomorrow. What does everyone think?

DCBaker

Premium Member

esskay

I’m a healthy 30 year old, and I’m being very selfish here, but I really hope they don’t close before our trip. We leave 2 weeks tomorrow. What does everyone think?

It'll be cancelled. Or it wont be cancelled.

I don't know. Neither does anyone else.

FutureCEO

If you get the virus, you get the virus. You can get it at work, school, vacation or not at all. Saw this before and thought it was relevant

1583885487939.png

Touchdown

Not mocking your typing, but love the idea that the threat of pandemic may lead to everyone getting down and dirty. Can we expect a birthing boom in 9 months time?

it’s typing on my **** iPhone. I don’t know if it’s an inadvertent tap, auto correct or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom