coronado springs or wilderness lodge?

WishIWasAtWDW

so what are your thoughts? my best friend from college and i will be going for either 3 or 4 nights and we are not sure if we should stay at cs or the wl. i have never stayed at either but i think i would prefer to stay at the wl. i think price is a factor for my friend so i just want to see if it is worth the extra money to stay at the wl. thanks!

Springer

This is making me nervous! We have stayed at Wilderness and loved it. Our usual WDW hotel is the Polynesian, which we love. Due to finances, we booked our next trip at Coronado Springs (the two queen beds convinced us that we might be equally comfortable for much less $!). Did we do the right thing?

CSR is our favorite moderate resort! The room refurbs were great, adding the queen beds, flat screen TVs and a long-necessary partition between the sink and bed areas. The food court's a little more upscale than other moderates (though it's also a bit more pricey than other moderates' food courts). We've never had a problem with noise. The only negatives, in our view, are that the restaurant, Maya Grill, is only so-so and the marina is closed far more often than it's open. Keep in mind, though, that a moderate is still a moderate. Your room will be smaller that at WL or Poly, there are fewer amenities and you could have a long walk to the main building. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Nikki M

If you have the money, spring for the WL. There is no comparison to deluxe vs. moderate. It is so worth the money for location, extra transportation and quality of room and restaurants. You can usually get a discount through a pin code or on the disney site under special offers. I will say, though, that if you can't afford it, or the extra money will make you stressed, don't do it. You will still be at disney and you will still have a good time. No place to stay in disney is a bad place to stay. It will not make you have a bad trip to stay at a moderate. I would rather go and stay at a value than not go at all!

Upvote 0

SchultzFamily

Personally, you could not pay me to stay at the WL. We have visited twice -- and twice we had the rudest of CM's -- one who lied right to our face. Don't get me wrong, the resort is beautifully done, but the theme holds no appeal to me -- especially in Florida.

The talk of the long walks at the Coronado infuriates me and I find it overexaggerated in most cases. I've had a longer walk at the Contemporary from my room to the pool than I've ever had at the Coronado; my best friend stayed at the AKL and said the walk from his room to the pool/food at the AKL was longer than the walk from the convention center to the furthest room in the Ranchos section at the Coronado...the big difference, in one you are walking inside and the other you are walking outside (truthfully, I prefer walking outside...I'm in Florida...I want to enjoy Florida and not some long, dark and dank hallway which is noisy with kids running up and down the hallway).

We have stayed at CSR eight times and will continue to do so. We can't justify the cost of a deluxe for a nine or ten night stay anymore (we will do a split stay on our next trip with the AKL and a future trip with the BC...other than that, we'll stick with our moderate).

In those eight stays at the CSR, we have had near perfect visits. It has always been very quiet, very pretty, terrific CM's, great mousekeeping and just a wonderful atmosphere. We have never heard the people int eh room next to us, above us, below us, etc. We have stayed at the All Star Sports, Contemporary, Poly and the CSR--with and without our children (who are both now in college). All four of us prefer the CSR over the other three we have stayed at.

Upvote 0

UberMouse

I've stayed at every resort except for AKL, Polynesian and Caribbean. I list my top 6 in this order.

Contemporary
Wilderness Lodge (WL is #1 during the holidays)
Grand Floridian
Beach and Yacht Club
Port Orleans ( RS or FQ ; Lots of walking here)
Coronado Springs

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
so what are your thoughts? my best friend from college and i will be going for either 3 or 4 nights and we are not sure if we should stay at cs or the wl. i have never stayed at either but i think i would prefer to stay at the wl. i think price is a factor for my friend so i just want to see if it is worth the extra money to stay at the wl. thanks!

My DH and I stayed at WL a few years ago and it is one of our favorite resorts. We really love it.

Upvote 0

UberMouse

Some pics we took at WL at Christmas 2008.

DisneypicsDec2008002.jpg

DisneypicsDec2008001.jpg

DisneypicsDec2008094.jpg

DisneypicsDec2008007.jpg

DisneypicsDec2008091.jpg

Upvote 0
Wilderness Lodge 120% go for it. Coronado Springs is not that great in my opinion and you have 4 stops for each area of the Hotel grounds. Not a good thing if you are in a rush to get to your room, also the rooms are all outside not interior, I think interior rooms are the safest.
Enjoy yourselves.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

Some pics we took at WL at Christmas 2008.
I visited WL this past x-mas and it was nice. The lobby was great with all the decorations but it was dark. Your photo is much brighter.

Here is a CSR lobby photo which isn't too shabby either.

mhrfgj.jpg

But its a once a year holiday. I prefer CSR for the everyday, night time ambiance.

25s2alz.jpg

336886827_5Xb5Y-XL.jpg

337511649_XX4yd-L.jpg

337511754_2bqqc-L.jpg

107208520.jpg

ostjs3.jpg

2igcfa0.jpg

2vijc02.jpg

Upvote 0

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
dang, i didnt mean to start such a heated debate :lol: thanks everyone for the opinions and advice. after much thought my friend and i have decided to stay at the wl. thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0

Purple413

I'm so glad to hear you chose WL! We've stayed there several times and it is by far my favorite. You will LOVE it! Don't miss the electric light parade at night from the beach, the geyser by the pool, the ketchup at Whispering Canyon, the totem pole in the lobby..... I could go on. HAVE FUN!

Upvote 0

WorldKey

Nice

Thanks for the WL Christmas pictures - beautiful! I have to say that seing the the CSR pictures posted here it makes me want to stay there sometime also.....every Disney moderate+ hotel has it's good and bad points I'm sure. Personally I think that PO Riverside is one of the best kept secrets (and I don't mind the walking at all - in fact the scenery is so nice it adds to the enjoyment). Take the boat to Downtown Disney if you ever stay a POR - it's worth it just for the scenery along the river.

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

This is making me nervous! We have stayed at Wilderness and loved it. Our usual WDW hotel is the Polynesian, which we love. Due to finances, we booked our next trip at Coronado Springs (the two queen beds convinced us that we might be equally comfortable for much less $!). Did we do the right thing?

Coronado is large and spread out, but we've stayed there twice and loved the grounds, pool, fitness area, etc. It's by far our fav. moderate. We actually like the overall more adult feel (which comes from being a convention hotel).If you can get a room in the Cabanas section, you'll be very close to the main building, El Centro.

As for anything to do with The Unofficial Guide, take it with a grain of salt. I received my first UG last Christmas to go with my 50 other Disney books, guides, etc., and I was super disappointed with this...especially after reading how some people rave about it. It was full of inaccuracies, dated info and overall I thought it was poorly written.

Coronado is not a deluxe, so it's not up to WL standards, but if you're trying to save money, it's a wonderful resort (and of course you still get all the on site perks).

Upvote 0
^^Thank you! That is very helpful. I certainly don't expect the same feel that the deluxe resorts provide, but we have always loved the moderates too (we are one of the rare families who like the CBR!), but with our kids almost grown up now the two full beds feel small--that had been our only complaint about the mods! We are looking forward to the CSR--especially the pool slide!

Upvote 0

StinkyLeslie

I know you were looking at either the wilderness lodge or coronado springs (and I like them both) but you can stay at the animal kingdom lodge for marginally ($15 more a night for standard) more than the price at coronado springs and be at a deluxe resort. The animal kingdom lodge is unbelievable and has my favorite restaurant on property in Jiko. It truly is beautiful.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom