• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

Missing20K

Missing20K

Advertisement
Actually there is a little design motif in the lamps and the lounge screens that is like the bell in tower portion of Destino....
Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment are easy to swap and add "theme" but doing so does not make it seem as though the Destino inspiration was there from the beginning design phases. Otherwise, to use the bell tower in the film example, they could have designed a bell tower motif into the actual architecture. That would have indicated a much more deliberate design intent to tie the resort and film together.

Bocabear

Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment are easy to swap and add "theme" but doing so does not make it seem as though the Destino inspiration was there from the beginning design phases. Otherwise, to use the bell tower in the film example, they could have designed a bell tower motif into the actual architecture. That would have indicated a much more deliberate design intent to tie the resort and film together.
I would agree with you wholeheartedly... and while the hotel looks beautiful it could have gone farther... The idea of Disney Resorts was to be immersed in theme... The original resorts were exactly that for the time period they were built... The world has changed since then, and we are bombarded with thematic architecture in our daily lives...
Disney architecture should have been getting more immersive all along, not backing away from theme and embracing the Marriott Hotel school of architecture...
That said, the tower is very nice... Just could have gone further and been more unique... Especially the exterior.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Premium Member
It's possible that Disney wanted to give convention-goers a layout they're familiar with. Nothing wrong with that as a goal.
The layout of this space is definitely similar in my eyes (and I imagine many properties have a similar space)...but outside of that...🤷‍♂️ Also, JW Marriott is a luxury brand so I don't think Disney should be ashamed that one of their hotels has a lobby area that shares a similar layout with a JW property.

note2001

My only complaint is really the lattice work on the exterior. I think Disney imagineering could have come up with a similar design but with better effect upon being lit up at night. Maybe they could improve it in an upgrade that makes it more flowing and allows the design to cascade more naturally over the length of the resort. Carefully crafted stucco on the building could have achieved a similar effect and allowed for more creativity to bring it alive.

If their intent was to bring Dali like design into the space, which I don't think it was, then they know they failed. Dali's designs seem to be more natural than structural and there's always an outstanding element that makes the viewer say "that's odd"... but still they were beautiful. Here, the entire exterior structure is very rigid and mathematical in nature, not natural. That lattice work is their opportunity to give it the flowing Dali influence, yet it too comes across as mechanical ... and yet, Disney claims the inspiration for the resort was the film collaboration between Dali and Disney. I see images here and there, and a desk lamp... other than that I'm not seeing it at all.

Last edited:

SorcererMC

If their intent was to bring Dali like design into the space, which I don't think it was, then they know they failed. Dali's designs seem to be more natural than structural and there's always an outstanding element that makes the viewer say "that's odd"... but still they were beautiful. Here, the entire exterior structure is very rigid and mathematical in nature, not natural. That lattice work is their opportunity to give it the flowing Dali influence, yet it too comes across as mechanical. ... And yet, they claim the inspiration for the resort was the film collaboration between Dali and Disney. I see images here and there, and a desk lamp... other than that I'm not seeing it at all.
I admit that I'm confused as to how you and others aren't seeing it, because it seems obvious to me. A couple of examples:
The ironwork as an architectural. element is Gaudí -inspired. The eyes in the middle, are Dalí .
The lattice in the Dahlia lounge has the bell-shaped dancer from the short at the 2:30 mark, as well as more eye shapes.

DisneyOutsider

Say what you will about the lack of focused theming in the tower, but after looking at all of the walk-through photos and videos and commentary here, it's clear that this was not some low-effort, courtyard Marriott copy/paste job. This place looks pretty cool! If the rooms had balconies, it might be pushing the boundary between Moderate and Deluxe.

Missing20K

I admit that I'm confused as to how you and others aren't seeing it, because it seems obvious to me. A couple of examples:
The ironwork as an architectural. element is Gaudí -inspired. The eyes in the middle, are Dalí .
View attachment 388887View attachment 388890View attachment 388894
The lattice in the Dahlia lounge has the bell-shaped dancer from the short at the 2:30 mark, as well as more eye shapes.
View attachment 388901
Find me a rectilinear punched opening in a Guadi building. Where is the whimsy in the architectural and structural elements? What structural elements relate to biology and the natural world?

The mosaic bench is a horrific knockoff of the serpentine benches at Park Guell.

Applied accoutrements take some subtle cues from the two men and their work. But it's far from a completely realized theme, it tells virtually no story, and is in conflict with the surrounding resort.

"Disney's Coronado Springs Resort - A Vaguely Contempofusion Hispania* Resort"

*Contempofusion Hispania a trademarked copyright of @MisterPenguin*

Top Bottom