News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Outdoor lawn parties for conventioneers or weddings.

Cost savings.
35f8me.jpg

SorcererMC

If their intent was to bring Dali like design into the space, which I don't think it was, then they know they failed. Dali's designs seem to be more natural than structural and there's always an outstanding element that makes the viewer say "that's odd"... but still they were beautiful. Here, the entire exterior structure is very rigid and mathematical in nature, not natural. That lattice work is their opportunity to give it the flowing Dali influence, yet it too comes across as mechanical. ... And yet, they claim the inspiration for the resort was the film collaboration between Dali and Disney. I see images here and there, and a desk lamp... other than that I'm not seeing it at all.
I admit that I'm confused as to how you and others aren't seeing it, because it seems obvious to me. A couple of examples:
The ironwork as an architectural. element is Gaudí -inspired. The eyes in the middle, are Dalí .

The lattice in the Dahlia lounge has the bell-shaped dancer from the short at the 2:30 mark, as well as more eye shapes.

DisneyOutsider

Say what you will about the lack of focused theming in the tower, but after looking at all of the walk-through photos and videos and commentary here, it's clear that this was not some low-effort, courtyard Marriott copy/paste job. This place looks pretty cool! If the rooms had balconies, it might be pushing the boundary between Moderate and Deluxe.

Missing20K

I admit that I'm confused as to how you and others aren't seeing it, because it seems obvious to me. A couple of examples:
The ironwork as an architectural. element is Gaudí -inspired. The eyes in the middle, are Dalí .
View attachment 388887View attachment 388890View attachment 388894
The lattice in the Dahlia lounge has the bell-shaped dancer from the short at the 2:30 mark, as well as more eye shapes.
View attachment 388901
Find me a rectilinear punched opening in a Guadi building. Where is the whimsy in the architectural and structural elements? What structural elements relate to biology and the natural world?

The mosaic bench is a horrific knockoff of the serpentine benches at Park Guell.

Applied accoutrements take some subtle cues from the two men and their work. But it's far from a completely realized theme, it tells virtually no story, and is in conflict with the surrounding resort.

"Disney's Coronado Springs Resort - A Vaguely Contempofusion Hispania* Resort"

*Contempofusion Hispania a trademarked copyright of @MisterPenguin*

SorcererMC

Find me a rectilinear punched opening in a Guadi building. Where is the whimsy in the architectural and structural elements? What structural elements relate to biology and the natural world?

The mosaic bench is a horrific knockoff of the serpentine benches at Park Guell.

Applied accoutrements take some subtle cues from the two men and their work. But it's far from a completely realized theme, it tells virtually no story, and is in conflict with the surrounding resort.

"Disney's Coronado Springs Resort - A Vaguely Contempofusion Hispania* Resort"

*Contempofusion Hispania a trademarked copyright of @MisterPenguin*
Again - my comments refer to the Gran Destino hotel itself, and not the issue of a lack of an overarching theme for the entire resort.
The cookie-cutter exterior leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't believe for a second that Disney would construct a building that looks like it is melting in the hot Florida sun. Not even something as subtle as this:

Last edited:

Missing20K

Again - my comments refer to the Gran Destino hotel itself, and not the issue of a lack of an overarching theme for the entire resort.
The cookie-cutter exterior leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't believe for a second that Disney would construct a building that looks like it is melting in the hot Florida Sun. Not even something as subtle as this:
View attachment 388928
My comments also only referred to the Tower. Any mention of the surrounding resort is because the tower is in conflict with it due to design decisions or lack thereof.

Agree that DIS wouldn't build something like that stateside.

note2001

View attachment 388887View attachment 388890View attachment 388894
View attachment 388901
I'm not saying there aren't tiny touches from the film in the resort (if you can call those eyes tiny, LOL) but that the touches are too mathematical.

If Imagineering was given free reign I'm sure they would have come up with designs that echoed of Dali's influence and transformed before our eyes with lighting. Imagine that lattice work morphing from what it is, to the flock of birds flying, to casting shadows of the bell/woman on the ground as the directions and reflections change. An upgrade could still be done to make it so, but Disney almost never goes back to resorts once built and improves upon design. Last time I saw that happen it was to put covered walkways out to the bus stops at Kidani.

For the record: I love the interior.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not saying there aren't tiny touches from the film in the resort (if you can call those eyes tiny, LOL) but that the touches are too mathematical.

If Imagineering was given free reign I'm sure they would have come up with designs that echoed of Dali's influence and transformed before our eyes with lighting. Imagine that lattice work morphing from what it is, to the flock of birds flying, to casting shadows of the bell/woman on the ground as the directions and reflections change. An upgrade could still be done to make it so, but Disney almost never goes back to resorts once built and improves upon design. Last time I saw that happen it was to put covered walkways out to the bus stops at Kidani.

For the record: I love the interior.

The artists in us certainly would have liked to have seen Disney push the boundaries and have a tower facade that looked like it was melting and other Daliesque touches.

But I don't think the conventioneers would have been into that. This tower was made for the high-roller conventioneer. Subtle touches and grand non-threatening architectural elements was the best compromise one would expect.

lazyboy97o

The cookie-cutter exterior leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't believe for a second that Disney would construct a building that looks like it is melting in the hot Florida sun. Not even something as subtle as this:
View attachment 388928
Why couldn’t Disney do something simple like this if the story is so important? It could all be done as carved stucco. Even on the interior, filleting the corners would go a long way towards reducing the stark contrast.

SorcererMC

Why couldn’t Disney do something simple like this if the story is so important? It could all be done as carved stucco. Even on the interior, filleting the corners would go a long way towards reducing the stark contrast.
Ruling out a materials or time issue, too risky in a market that loves minimalism in hotel design. Call me cynical but I don't think the consumer market would respond favorably to it, to look like somewhere they would want to stay.

And might seem too 'out of place', increasing the obvious differences between the existing resort and the new building.
(Didn't they re-paint some? I haven't seen it.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom