News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We have very limited knowledge of what is really buildable and not.

Actually...

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/maps-of-the-reedy-creek-2010-2020-plan.935133/

This was determined by WDW for themselves, and, as mentioned, they violate it when it suits them. But it costs them more in work and possible conservation offsets when they do so. Most of what's deemed unsuitable seems to be done so because it's low-lying and in the 100 year flood plain.

Sinkholes notwithstanding.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Actually...

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/maps-of-the-reedy-creek-2010-2020-plan.935133/

This was determined by WDW for themselves, and, as mentioned, they violate it when it suits them. But it costs them more in work and possible conservation offsets when they do so. Most of what's deemed unsuitable seems to be done so because it's low-lying and in the 100 year flood plain.

Pretty much summed up the point I was trying to make. Unsuitable until it suits their needs which isn’t a lot different from urban sprawl Anywhere USA.

Indy_UK

If sight lines are an issue then that mainlymust be when we are in the parks. A few trees will easily block the sight line for these towers at say the back of Epcot if looking at Riviera

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
If sight lines are an issue then that mainlymust be when we are in the parks. A few trees will easily block the sight line for these towers at say the back of Epcot if looking at Riviera

The Coronado will be very difficult to see from Epcot or DHS unless you look in the right spot between a building an a tree. It really won't be noticeable. It will block the fireworks from the cabanas... but if you're at WDW and you're watching fireworks from a cabana miles away... you're doing it wrong. :) The Coronado tower is going to have a lot of rooms facing the fireworks and a fireworks-viewing top-floor restaurant.

The Riviera tower however, will be noticeable over Germany. Almost as much as the Swolphin. And the concept art doesn't show any attempts at blending as they did with ToT behind Morocco.

Bocabear

I doubt very much that TOT was purposely designed to blend with Morocco.. It was done in a spanish style popular in Hollywood in the teens and twenties....It was a happy coincidence that it doesn;t look bad... but it is not a blend to the moroccan style either...

Biff215

Cesar R M

Actually...

I wonder, how deep is the "rocky" floor in the area of Lake Buenavista?
Or its all shallow rock and weak limestone similar to Mexico's Yucatan peninsula?

Biff215

that was not convincing...Nor was that from an official source... conjecture.
and the buildings do not really look similar at all. maybe a similar paint palette...
I’m sure someone like @marni1971 could confirm or deny this, but I think it was the paint color and decorations on the back that were chosen purposely to blend in with the pavilion. Looking at the pictures, it’s hard to believe it was a coincidence, but that’s just my opinion.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thank you! :happy:

We have very limited knowledge of what is really buildable and not. So much is here say and then we wind up with Bay Lake and the Floridian, Poly and Wilderness expansions. If Western Way is not expandable how do we wind up with the monstrosity on Western Way at the Coronado? I tend not to be that gullible and lean to more in both the greater Orlando area and Disney included....when there is a will there is a way. I have heard the unbuildable but not from Disney just fan experts. Then the Bay Lakes, the Studio expansion happen and decades of fan inside info disappears. I'm more of the lets see how the next decade or two materializes. Disney is magical in the way they build and overcome what we say they can't accomplish.

We as a greater fan base make excuses for Disney's odd choices. Drop a hint the balance of the property is not buildable and we suck up the excuse for their 'good' business choices for the corporation. And then they build on the unbuildable. I give Disney credit, they are good!

Tangent - I may be off here, but BLT was built on the same land that the North Garden Wing rooms were on, so I don't see how that land would have been considered unsuitable to build on.

Back on topic (somewhat) - You mean everyone hasn't downloaded a copy of the Reedy Creek 2020 plan and read thru most of it??? :hilarious:

mm121

The towers are an eyesore and destroy the aesthetic beauty of the resort. You can no longer look from the swimming pool or bridge without seeing that gigantic behemoth.
yea looks like you see it from freaking EVERYWHERE!!! around the resort.

guess we need to get use to it since we have the same situation going on over at CBR.

will they eventually tear down more low lying rooms at coranado and build more towers to increase capacity?
at least they cant do that quite as easily at CBR since they will have the skyliner wires to work around, at least on the one side of the resort.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Tangent - I may be off here, but BLT was built on the same land that the North Garden Wing rooms were on, so I don't see how that land would have been considered unsuitable to build on.

Back on topic (somewhat) - You mean everyone hasn't downloaded a copy of the Reedy Creek 2020 plan and read thru most of it??? :hilarious:

Oh dear. Posts like this are unfortunate as it was a good discussion happening over many pages. Good thought and contributing. It is easy to cherry pick and parse a ongoing discussion to go off in a tangent.

My point was Land being used in a manner it could not be used for prior. BLT was built sporadically where lighter weight pup buildings were. Today’s core sampling’s and technology and more advance engineering has allowed more massive structures to be built enter BLT.

Other advances and bright engineering made for many advances as far back as Epcot and sink holes. Many pylons were lost to sink holes when creating the Epcot Monorail extension While The Land was stable enough to not swallow vehicles and such it was not stable enough to support monorail pylons. Similar to pup motel building vs BLT that utilized all that land.

Further the bridge to the Odyssey was not built as designed. That area had to be temporarily scrapped because of a sinkhole.
Eventually due to a redesign and not using pylons they were able to build a necessary bridge using scaffolding type design and go over the the land that could not be built upon

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Many more pics at BlogMickey... http://blogmickey.com/2018/05/photos-coronado-springs-tower-construction-reaches-top-floor-and-more/

1526434505788.png

ThatMouse

I can't imagine once this construction is done that we will get Coronado for $150 / night anymore. I hope I'm wrong! The only change that is going to matter to anyone is our beloved $150 / night Coronado is going to be $250 / night + parking fees. This is the only feeling I had staying here this week. The room remodels is the same contemporary style they are doing at Pop. I suppose Poly will be next. There are no new amenities or changes planned to match the price increases.

Biff215

I can't imagine once this construction is done that we will get Coronado for $150 / night anymore. I hope I'm wrong! The only change that is going to matter to anyone is our beloved $150 / night Coronado is going to be $250 / night + parking fees. This is the only feeling I had staying here this week. The room remodels is the same contemporary style they are doing at Pop. I suppose Poly will be next. There are no new amenities or changes planned to match the price increases.
Certainly not the tower rooms, which may drive up the price of the rest of the resort. I imagine it will be similar to the price differences between Contemporary tower rooms vs. the garden wing (hopefully not that expensive though).

We also enjoyed Coronado when we didn’t have DVC points left or to add on to a trip. Only moderate that felt anywhere close to a deluxe for us. I’ll reserve final judgement until everything is complete, but I’m willing to bet the tower will change the feel of the resort enough that we will stay elsewhere in the future. It will likely be offsite at the rate cash prices are increasing, I’m just thankful our DVC points allow us to still justify staying onsite.

UncleMike101

Disney operates like most big business's.

They don't pay taxes or Government fees.
They raise prices so the customers do.

They don't pay for new operating space or improvements.
They raise the prices so the customers do.

They don't meet Invester expectations by making operations more efficient.
They raise prices so the customers do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom