CoP voices?

SoupBone

I disagree. Although as a character, I agree Mr. Ratzenberger would fit nicely based on acting and look. We're just talking voices for the attraction. What I liked about Sheperd/Allen was the western/mid-western vibe it brought to the attraction.

That way of speaking is what most of the world think of when they think of an 'American' accent. And having that there just made it feel so Patriotic....

Which I really loved.

Does that make sense?

Makes complete sense to me. I'm from the south and hearing the voice of Shepherd makes the whole experience "real". He sounds like he grew up through those time periods in America and it just has more realism to me for some reason.

I am both for and against this idea. Change sometimes is good and over all for the life of the attraction I think that might be the best. We can't keep on believing that Walt made sure that attraction had a future and we've gotta think what will give it the longest life. But for the Disneyophiles out there. And fans of the 1964 worlds fair (like me!) that version would be so awesome to see!

Also. If we updated the future would the HUGE jump between the penultimate and final scene bother anybody else besides me? If it keeps getting updated, that gap is just going to be bigger and bigger...

Cmdr_Crimson

"No Privacy at'tall in this place!" ~Uncle Orville.
Also another fact is that Mel Blanc's Son Noel Blanc is the voices on the Radio in CoP..

Disney4Eva

However, that last scene is just HORRIBLE. They're playing a video game from the future, whose graphics and controller are already outdated, and Daughter talks about CAR phones.
Well at least Grandpa mentions hi-def TVs and laser discs :rolleyes: :lol:

But yeah, it'll be darn near impossible to get used to new voices. I really like the current voice for the dad..

scheat

What's weird to me is the huge jump in time from the second to the last scene to the last scene which will be even greater if they update to be the future as of now.

EPCOT Explorer

I disagree. Although as a character, I agree Mr. Ratzenberger would fit nicely based on acting and look. We're just talking voices for the attraction. What I liked about Sheperd/Allen was the western/mid-western vibe it brought to the attraction.

That way of speaking is what most of the world think of when they think of an 'American' accent. And having that there just made it feel so Patriotic....

Which I really loved.

Does that make sense?

A TON of sense...I tend to feel the same way.

wolf359

I agree they should go totally retro with the Carousel and return the end scene to a 1960s setting. There's currently a 60-year jump from the 40s to 2000 as it is, and increasing that gap would be even more disjointed.

The Carousel is already a nostalgia piece anyway, so why not retro-furb the show back to its original 1964 World's Fair version? It would require a lot less creative work, as they'd only really have to rebuild the final scene and could probably use the original sound track, without having to re-record anything.

I think the only way to make the final scene futuristic again while making logical jumps forward would involve removing at least one of the first three scenes. Keep the turn of the 20th century scene as-is, and remove the 20s scene and put the 1940s scene in its place. Create a 1980s scene, and a new final scene set in 2020. That way the show has jumps of equal size again, just 40 years apart instead of the original 20.

DougK

The nice thing about reading this thread is everyone is giving their ideas about CoP and how great it is and can be. I get tired of reading threads about getting rid of CoP. I'm glad I am not the only fan!

EPCOT Explorer

I agree they should go totally retro with the Carousel and return the end scene to a 1960s setting. There's currently a 60-year jump from the 40s to 2000 as it is, and increasing that gap would be even more disjointed.

The Carousel is already a nostalgia piece anyway, so why not retro-furb the show back to its original 1964 World's Fair version? It would require a lot less creative work, as they'd only really have to rebuild the final scene and could probably use the original sound track, without having to re-record anything.

I think the only way to make the final scene futuristic again while making logical jumps forward would involve removing at least one of the first three scenes. Keep the turn of the 20th century scene as-is, and remove the 20s scene and put the 1940s scene in its place. Create a 1980s scene, and a new final scene set in 2020. That way the show has jumps of equal size again, just 40 years apart instead of the original 20.

If they were to do anything...Do this. :lol: Makes sense.

Or they could make the time jump 30 years instead of 20.

1930 1960 1990 2020

SirNim

I think I'd favor the possibility of restoring it to the 1964 configuration.

An interesting idea for replacing the final scene, though, might go something like this:

1) Hire voice actors to replicate the current voices.

2) Dress the characters in the final scene in classic clothing that could fit in 1950 or 2050: Crisp shirt, a fine suit, a classy dress.

3) Incorporate video screens into the background of the scene while retaining physical props.

4) Change the script as follows: Begin the final, fourth scene sometime around 1964, and mention the World's Fair in NYC. Then, slowly and smoothly change the video screens in the background to show the house and neighborhood as it might look in 1980, then 2000, then bring it into the future of 2020, then 2050. The actual physical props on stage—the appliances, the photographs, the electronics—with a little Imagineering trickery, could be replaced with newer technology as the scene progresses. For example, when a character on one side of the stage is speaking, switch out a prop on the opposite side of the stage. Stage magicians use a similar form of distraction to accentuate their trickery. They will overemphasize a certain gesture to distract you from a more important, but less pronounced, gesture that is essential to the magic trick. Little by little the appliances and general look and feel of the house will change from 1964 to 2050.

5) The result is a dynamic scene that pays homage to the original 1964 configuration while postulating a future based on the present. Video screens, which form the windows of the house, could show Boeing 747s in the sky... then as the scene progresses, the Boeing 747s give way to space shuttle blastoffs, then advanced Concorde-style aircraft and even Virgin Galactic-style spacecraft. The rotary phone could be magically transformed into a desktop computer, then a holographic sort of computer that projects an image onto dead air. The house will magically progress before your very eyes in a dynamic, organic, futuristic, and historically sensitive way. Every once in a while a character will mention that time flies so fast while you're having fun—that it's now 1980, now 2000—wow, where did the time go?—now 2020, and already 2050! Welcome to the Future!

EPCOT Explorer

I think I'd favor the possibility of restoring it to the 1964 configuration.

An interesting idea for replacing the final scene, though, might go something like this:

1) Hire voice actors to replicate the current voices.

2) Dress the characters in the final scene in classic clothing that could fit in 1950 or 2050: Crisp shirt, a fine suit, a classy dress.

3) Incorporate video screens into the background of the scene while retaining physical props.

4) Change the script as follows: Begin the final, fourth scene sometime around 1964, and mention the World's Fair in NYC. Then, slowly and smoothly change the video screens in the background to show the house and neighborhood as it might look in 1980, then 2000, then bring it into the future of 2020, then 2050. The actual physical props on stage—the appliances, the photographs, the electronics—with a little Imagineering trickery, could be replaced with newer technology as the scene progresses. For example, when a character on one side of the stage is speaking, switch out a prop on the opposite side of the a stage. Stage magicians use a similar form of distraction to accentuate their trickery. They will overemphasize a certain gesture to distract you from a more important, but less pronounced, gesture that is essential to the magic trick. Little by little the appliances and general look and feel of the house will change from 1964 to 2050.

5) The result is a dynamic scene that pays homage to the original 1964 configuration while postulating a future based on the present. Video screens, which form the windows of the house, could show Boeing 747s in the sky... then as the scene progresses, the Boeing 747s give way to space shuttle blastoffs, then advanced Concorde-style aircraft and even Virgin Galactic-style spacecraft. The rotary phone could be magically transformed into a desktop computer, then a holographic sort of computer that projects an image onto dead air. The house will magically progress before your very eyes in a dynamic, organic, futuristic, and historically sensitive way. Every once in a while a character will mention that time flies so fast while you're having fun—that it's now 1980, now 2000—wow, where did the time go?—now 2020, and already 2050! Welcome to the Future!

That's a interesting concept. Sounds like a cross between DreamFlight and Horizons.:lol:

SirNim

That's a interesting concept. Sounds like a cross between DreamFlight and Horizons.:lol:
One of the strange quirks of the Carousel of Progress is that each scene is so very static. For such a dynamic concept as "progress," the staccato pace of the attraction presents an intriguing counterpoint—you only feel you're actually progressing while the mechanism creakily spins halfway between two different scenes. It would be interesting to incorporate a dynamic change within a single scene, rather than between two different scenes...and would present a satisfying balance to the attraction.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
The jump between the last two scenes are pretty severe, but I don't know if I'd want to lose any of the old scenes... and we certainly can't END in 1964, then it wouldn't belong in TL. That last scene is (supposed to be) the only thing that makes it acceptable there.

EPCOT Explorer

One of the strange quirks of the Carousel of Progress is that each scene is so very static. For such a dynamic concept as "progress," the staccato pace of the attraction presents an intriguing counterpoint—you only feel you're actually progressing while the mechanism creakily spins halfway between two different scenes. It would be interesting to incorporate a dynamic change within a single scene, rather than between two different scenes...and would present a satisfying balance to the attraction.
Agreed. I wonder if you could do anything to the other scenes.:shrug: That would further balance it out. Of course, leave the finale for the finale.;)

SirNim

Agreed. I wonder if you could do anything to the other scenes.:shrug: That would further balance it out. Of course, leave the finale for the finale.;)
I remember from reading the publicity for Pixar's UP that the film required an "emotional bedrock" upon which the fantastic plot could remain anchored. I think the three original scenes could be preserved as they are currently (though cosmetic improvements are always welcome) as a testament to the attraction's nostalgic position in pop culture.

EPCOT Explorer

I remember from reading the publicity for Pixar's UP that the film required an "emotional bedrock" upon which the fantastic plot could remain anchored. I think the three original scenes could be preserved as they are currently (though cosmetic improvements are always welcome) as a testament to the attraction's nostalgic position in pop culture.

Right. This is a Disney treasure. It would be foolish not to preserve it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom