CoP Continuity Problems

Oddysey

Ok then, how could Imagineering "screw up so badly" when that's how it was originally intended to be?

Not sure how the original narration is a moot point since it proves that there isn't anything wrong with the current updated spiel.

You missed my point.

You should have wrote that imagineering didn't "screw up" because it was stated in the original narration, instead of attempting to correct me by saying the 2009 narration is not new.

gerryu21220

Queenie is from the "Now Is The Time" version of the show that played at WDW from 1973-1993.

I remember it as Queenie, and that's the name given to the dog in The Imagineering Field Guide To The Magic Kingdom, which lists the names of all four dogs in the original MK show.

Queenie is indeed the dog in the second scene, and the first Queenie reference can be found at around the 6:55 - 7 minute mark of the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNaOVdy5CLM

Ah, that's why I don't know it. I hate that version even more than the current one, so I never listen to it/watch it. (What were they thinking!) On the other hand, I have the original 1964 version memorized.

gerryu21220

Ok then, how could Imagineering "screw up so badly" when that's how it was originally intended to be?

Not sure how the original narration is a moot point since it proves that there isn't anything wrong with the current updated spiel.

All that proves is that the spiel was merely copied from the earlier script. It was wrong then, and still wrong today.

MissM

Description right from the Walt Disney World Website itself:

Since 1964, generations of families have enjoyed this classic stage show starring a remarkable family of Audio-Animatronic performers. Travel through time from decade to decade as the family discovers fantastic new technologies that make their lives more easy, comfortable and fun—and sometimes a bit more complicated!

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/magic-kingdom/attractions/walt-disneys-carousel-of-progress/
ONE FAMILY. Why else would they all look the same, have the same names, etc.? It's one representative family experiencing the wonders of the 20th century. Again, it's not supposed to be literal aging. How hard is this to comprehend? :brick:Oy!

Expo_Seeker40

here are some other things to make your theaters spin :lookaroun

GE originally wanted the family to be from Schenectady, NY which was GE's headquarters at the time. Imagineers had already created a snowy cookie cutter GE employee neighborhood as the backdrop for the original ending in the 1960s scene. Then they decided in late 1963 to have the family be from Middleburg USA and their last name is Peabody.

It was Christmas Night in the 1960s. The children were now teenagers or young adults and went to the town's new jet airport to pick up grandma and grandpa, who were flying in from a retirement community. Incidentaly near Schenectady in 1963, Albany International Airport expanded and included Jet Air service to multiple cities....or was this all just the Middleburg Airport? :drevil: Orville was not present in the scene. Rover was on the floor, and Fluffy was sitting on the couch next to mother. Mother was relaxing because Christmas dinner was easy to make thanks to her GE appliances.

Here is the original ending:

alpv7b.jpg

GE then decided to ditch that idea and go with their Medallion campaign which was a series of upscale GE products. No wonder it was christmas...people could see all the awesome stuff the family opened up that morning. :lol: The location of the town, the family's last name, and even the son's name were never mentioned in any of the scenes after the final script had been done for the world's fair.

With the Medallion name dropping in the last scene, after people walked upstairs to see the energy post show on the interior of the GE Pavilion dome, guests then walked down to ground level for a nuclear fusion demonstration and then the final post show which was an indoor mall facade mockup of Medallion City.

It is ONE family. They are never meant to realistically age. They did age slightly between each scenes in both the world's fair and current version. You are meeting each family over and over again for the first time. Your seeing a depiction of what this one family would have been doing had they been alive and at those ages for those respective eras. Act 1 has always had that extra child, and the daughter has always had brown hair in act one. But in the original world's fair, disneyland, and disney world versions...she also had black hair in the 1920s scene. She has always had blond hair in the 1940s scene. She wasn't present in the world's fair and disneyland ending, but in the original disney world ending she had brown hair, then changed to blond hair for the 80s and 90s endings.

James has also had changes in his hair over the years.

kaos

Well, now is the time for me to go, but don't worry, the weatherman just told me that there's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of the day... does that mean 76 and sunny?

:cool:

gerryu21220

James has also had changes in his hair over the years.

James? I always thought his name was originally John (although it never made it into the final script): John, Sarah, Jane, Grandma and Grandpa, Cousin Orville (and Rover/Sport/Buster/unnamed dog, young mystery girl and unnamed boy, unnamed parrot).

BTW - a duplicate of the first Grandma is in The Haunted Mansion. She's in the rocking chair near the fireplace in the Ballroom.

EDIT: "Sport" from the 1920s got resurrected for the 1967 Progress City addition. It's a miracle!

fredrickr

I wish that WDW would fix the huge gaffe in the beginning of the second act. Father talks about all the new electric inventions that they have and then states that some guy named Lindbergh is going to fly a single wing airplane across the Atlantic. This is happening as the family prepares for the 4th of July. That flight had already happened by Independence Day! Lindbergh flew the Atlantic May 20-21. Just proves that Americans have no clue as to their own history.

wizards8507

I wish that WDW would fix the huge gaffe in the beginning of the second act. Father talks about all the new electric inventions that they have and then states that some guy named Lindbergh is going to fly a single wing airplane across the Atlantic. This is happening as the family prepares for the 4th of July. That flight had already happened by Independence Day! Lindbergh flew the Atlantic May 20-21. Just proves that Americans have no clue as to their own history.

Holy crap are you kidding me? Could you be ANY more petty? Pettier? More petty...

MAYBE it was July 4th 1926, and Lindbergh's flight wouldn't happen for another ten months.

David S.

James? I always thought his name was originally John (although it never made it into the final script): John, Sarah, Jane, Grandma and Grandpa, Cousin Orville (and Rover/Sport/Buster/unnamed dog, young mystery girl and unnamed boy, unnamed parrot).

John is the father, and James is the son.

Walt Disney1955

That is what I was going to say. It was my understanding they were 4 generation of the same family and that the story was a retelling of their generation. I might be wrong as I have never looked it up.

Exactly. This shouldn't be hard to figure out, I just always assumed this is how it was. Do we really think that John is the same age in 1940 as he is today? Anyways, COP is a classic ride and I hope they keep it around forever

SewIn2Disney

CoP is one of my all-time favorite attractions in WDW---I could quite literally see it dozens of times on one trip. That being said---here's another thing to throw out there:

The family's house is the same in the first three scenes----in the last scene it's a completly different house! (And yeah....they could have moved, but that would be a boring response)

Expo_Seeker40

The family's home only looks like that in the first three acts because the imagineers designed all 4 acts to show a living area and cooking area to showcase a lot of GE appliances through the years. The original ending for act 4 didn't have scrims,but it had a living area and appliance area just like the other acts. The living area was on our viewing right and the appliance area was on our viewing left, all 4 acts originally did this until it was shipped to the magic kingdom and they completely redid the ending.

Worktillidie

CoP

Look, i mean we know its not perfect--I personally think thats its time to get rid of the old relic. It's not perfect never gonna be--we might as well get over it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
CoP is one of my all-time favorite attractions in WDW---I could quite literally see it dozens of times on one trip. That being said---here's another thing to throw out there:

The family's house is the same in the first three scenes----in the last scene it's a completly different house! (And yeah....they could have moved, but that would be a boring response)

One of their appliances shorted causing a grease fire. When they built back they completely remodeled. :cool:

SewIn2Disney

The family's home only looks like that in the first three acts because the imagineers designed all 4 acts to show a living area and cooking area to showcase a lot of GE appliances through the years. The original ending for act 4 didn't have scrims,but it had a living area and appliance area just like the other acts. The living area was on our viewing right and the appliance area was on our viewing left, all 4 acts originally did this until it was shipped to the magic kingdom and they completely redid the ending.
Interesting.... I'll have to go on youtube to watch a video of the original

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom