Contemporary DVC is coming - demo starts Oct 1st

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Hey guys, got a bit of info from a friend, if you spread the word, please note www.touringplans.com (it's on our news and rumors page).

Contemporary DVC coming - North garden Wing closes Oct 1st

The new DVC at the Contemporary Resort is all but a press release away at this point as the CM's at the hotel have been informed of the project. The North Garden Wing will close to the public on October 1st. A new DVC resort will be built in its place, the details of the exact design are still fuzzy and/or up in the air though.

One possibility mentioned to the CMs was a new 15 story C-shaped building with a central waterpark/pool area like the Yacht/Beach Clubs and a walkway on the 4th floor leading to the current concourse. This would explain the markings on the ground outside the current tower suggesting some sort of northward support system expansion.

jasondiff

15 stories sounds pretty big. That's good from the perspective of DVC owners who will all be clamoring to get ressies here!

llrain

dvc here....but wont bother staying at the contemporary..if it does
really cant stand this resort.....wish the akl rumor were more
truer than this one...ugh...contemporary is just so, plain

maelstrom

15 stories... they're just trying to downplay the Contemporary as much as they can, aren't they? It won't look as grand with a 15 story building next to it. I hope they can come up with some other design.

I'm not at all pleased with the changes to the Contemporary, especially the DVC. It's like a parasite.

Space Mountain

I dont believe it will be 15 floors...Magic Kingdom i know has some strict rules with theming and what the guests can see..like with splash mountain, after it was built, if you looked thru binoculars at the restaurant on the 15th floor of the contemporary, you could see part of the ride building so they had to fix that and add rockwork to the visible part. If the north wing became dvc and was 15 floors, there would be a good chance guests staying could see too much in MK

JCorduroy

I don't particularly want this building to be 15 stories - that seems a bit excessive. I can say this, though - unless they announce that there will be DVC to the Polynesian in the next year and a half, this will be where the wife and I finally take the plunge and buy into the program. We love the Contemporary (but, we love the Poly more :lol:)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I don't think the 15 stories makes much sense either, it'd be like a giant wall next to the current building, so I blame the telephone game on that bit, or maybe just an idea they toyed with but aren't taking too seriously.

The walkway connecting the concourse makes sense though, they've got spray paint markings on the ground down there right now that label it is as a dig sight, suggesting supports and the current refurb was staged from the north balcony/overlook area.

Main Street USA

We've been talking about this on these boards for quite a long time now, it's just that people don't seem to read closely.

All of this nonsense talk about a resort being built on the monorail beam over by the landing strip was NEVER close to being true, and it all started because the news was posted here that the landing strip area was being used for a STAGING AREA for a new DVC resort.

Well, everyone decided to skip right over the "staging area" part of that news, and started going crazy and getting excited about a new resort being built over there.

I chimed in and tried to explain what "staging area" meant, and that it was all for part of the Contemporary to be turned into DVC.

So, all in all, this is just a little more evidence of an older rumor coming true......and it seems that people are having an easier time understanding this time around.

uklad79

If they do build it it will not blend in with the current buildings, after all what company is going to build a new building modeled on a concrete 70's style building? Not Disney for sure.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We've been talking about this on these boards for quite a long time now, it's just that people don't seem to read closely.

All of this nonsense talk about a resort being built on the monorail beam over by the landing strip was NEVER close to being true..

I`m afraid it was, and still is. The idea still exists, both for the company and RCID. Pay attention to the pink area, designated resort expansion; http://www.wdwmagic.com/members2/masterplans/mk_area2_72.jpg

M:SpilotISTC12

We have to login for the link. I think they style will be the same as the main building to go with the Tommorrowland setting. I think they have alreayd thought about this.

carolina_yankee

I'll be curious to see if the design will be a dated '70s vision of contemprorary/future or a '90s vision (er, 21st century - don't know why I though we're still in the '90s!). Give the plain color and shape of the current bulding, I suspect they can do a different design that compliments rather than contrasts. It might give it the look of a futuristic city, though (if the second building is also 15 stories). Don't know how I feel about that.

As for the STOL rumors, I'm not a construction expert (or even novice) by any means, but I always assumed it was too far away to be a useful staging area for a C-DVC. Maybe just a place to store materials? That's why I thought DVC would be built there.

Dirk

MickeyTigg

All of this nonsense talk about a resort being built on the monorail beam over by the landing strip was NEVER close to being true, and it all started because the news was posted here that the landing strip area was being used for a STAGING AREA for a new DVC resort.

Well, everyone decided to skip right over the "staging area" part of that news, and started going crazy and getting excited about a new resort being built over there.

I chimed in and tried to explain what "staging area" meant, and that it was all for part of the Contemporary to be turned into DVC.

So, all in all, this is just a little more evidence of an older rumor coming true......and it seems that people are having an easier time understanding this time around.

Actually not true....the rumor started because of Lou Mongello stating on Mouse Tunes that DVC was going to build a DVC Resort on the site of the STOLport.

It had nothing to do with people not reading your post carefully.

Main Street USA

Actually not true....the rumor started because of Lou Mongello stating on Mouse Tunes that DVC was going to build a DVC Resort on the site of the STOLport.

It had nothing to do with people not reading your post carefully.
Geez, here we go again....

What you wrote may be true, but what I wrote is also true. The thread is in these forums. And, again, it seems that you're not reading carefully. I said that people read the INITIAL post about the STOLport being a staging area wrong, and that I tried to explain staging area, because people skipped over it. I didn't say they misread my post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom