Construction restarted at Walt Disney World Resort - What is Actually still on

Seanual757

Does anyone know for Shanghai how long it took between concrete being on site and the ride opening?
Hard to say since the Shanghai park was being built vs. just one ride and the park is open already. Tron is slated to open if I recall Spring 2021 it is very rare for Disney to push back an opening they will just tell the contractor to figure it out work 7 days a week if needed to get the job done and they will not increase the budget. The contractors dealing with Disney already know ahead of time about how Disney works.

nickys

Premium Member
Hard to say since the Shanghai park was being built vs. just one ride and the park is open already. Tron is slated to open if I recall Spring 2021 it is very rare for Disney to push back an opening they will just tell the contractor to figure it out work 7 days a week if needed to get the job done and they will not increase the budget. The contractors dealing with Disney already know ahead of time about how Disney works.

Very rare to push back an opening?

Well if we ignore the latest rides to open, I guess. Galaxy’s Edge and MMRR, that is. Granted they hadn’t actually announced an opening date but things were definitely delayed. TSL was down to the wire.

lazyboy97o

Well if we ignore the latest rides to open, I guess. Galaxy’s Edge and MMRR, that is. Granted they hadn’t actually announced an opening date but things were definitely delayed. TSL was down to the wire.
Those delays were more related to the rides and work largely done or more directly controlled by Walt Disney Imagineering, not the facility work of the general contractor.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Original Poster

I hear this frequently about SWGE, but as best as I can tell, most of SWGE opened on time. Only ROTR at DLR didn't hit the initially announced timing (Summer 2019 for DL and Late Fall 2019 for WDW - ROTR WDW opened early Dec, which is technically speaking, late fall)

OTOH, MMRR was a disaster.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Original Poster
Would love to hear more.
Well it was pushed back more times than I can count. I think it was originally May 2019 and then it was just pushed and pushed and pushed. There were (well sourced) rumors that they were trying to get it open before SWGE but had too much trouble with the ride system and didn’t want to split the trackless ride experts between MMRR and ROTR. Much of the ride was supposedly completed last summer but they couldn’t get it in position to open.

Then it was open for something like 9 days before all this happened.

FigmentsFangirl

So we agree that anything past Halloween = winter ? ;)

No seriously, based on the brief bits of concept art for Reflections its kind of a bummer for it to be cancelled

HauntedMansionFLA

Really pre-construction?

As in digging up all the pipework etc? That I could see, maybe.

But returning the land to pre-construction would mean planting wild grass, trees etc. (Not to mention crumbling fences, water slides, etc., which is clearly being facetious). Even so, I assume your version of “the land returned to pre-construction” is different to what some of us are picturing. Just a clear, flat earth-covered piece of land, right?
I like @Magic Feather idea and make it an area for the horses.

Jrb1979

Disney opening new attractions sounds just like Six Flags. Most never open on time and have lots of issues when they do open.

Communicora

Premium Member
So we agree that anything past Halloween = winter ? ;)

No seriously, based on the brief bits of concept art for Reflections its kind of a bummer for it to be cancelled
I liked the little A-frame cabins.

Something smaller and more affordable than the cabins at Wilderness Lodge and the bungalows at the Poly would do really well. I know people seem to enjoy the cabins at Fort Wilderness and these seemed like a design upgrade.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Original Poster

Unbanshee

Updated 6/20 with news that Epcot refurb is paused.

They only talk about Spaceship Earth? Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure if this means the "Epcot refurb is paused"

CastAStone

Premium Member
Original Poster
They only talk about Spaceship Earth? Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure if this means the "Epcot refurb is paused"
I think they changed the wording from the initial post, or perhaps I’m losing my mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom