Connections Cafe and Eatery

WDWFREAK53

Take a look at several videos online of the EU. You'll see that the CMs did a great job keeping the place in a super-clean state; nothing dingy about it. Indeed, I'd say, with the amount of traffic that place did, it was incredible how well-kept the place was. I get it. you think the 90's vibe was well past its expiration date. Others still loved it.

Good news on the new eatery; food looks to be better and they seem to be making their own break there. So, the place must smell heavenly. I think the Starbucks was given too much space. But, I know it will be super-busy.

Now, if you want to talk about dingy, let's talk about La Cava del Tequila...

I wasn't accusing the CMs of not keeping it clean. I meant dingy in a "not updated and the surfaces/flooring felt old" That will happen with so much foot traffic.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Overly flowery language meant to suggest a richer meaning than the space actually has.
You mean PR things like "the most magical place on earth!"?

Or all those commercials showing that going to WDW will be a child's most cherished memory... ever.

Are commercials for a park supposed to make you cry?

When has Disney ever presented a new attraction as simply satisfactory (even tho, that's all it was)?

Over the top PR is a Disney staple.

Communicora

Premium Member
All of the World's Fair chatter made me think to look for photos from the Dubai Expo, which closed last month.

This rendering of a dining location wouldn't be out of place at Epcot.

1650977333972.png

The next expo takes place in Osaka, Japan and has a very Epcot theme of Designing Future Society for Our Lives.

Vinnie Mac

Did I say it was a lie? Or did I say it was BS?

Overly flowery language meant to suggest a richer meaning than the space actually has. They tried to paint a picture of a restaurant with an exciting purpose - anyone with a working BS meter could sense that it was just a quickservice restaurant, but then it's silly that they kept going with the monthly press releases about this basic, generic space.

Why do so much PR to pretend it's somehow gonna help unify the new vision for Ex-Future World when it's really just a place to grab your frappucino? It's silly, and a little insulting.
This really isn't as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

dreday3

Epcot's lighting at night is as good as it's ever been. I can't wait until the rest of world celebration is opened up and it'll be even better.

I have to agree. I love the lighting that's been happening.

Some will make some comment about how dumb it is to be impressed by lighting, but I am! :D It's a enormous part of the entire atmosphere of Epcot. Always has been for me.

mysto

I think the best thing about this is the scale, lots of seating for whatever purpose. The lights are lovely, not quite fiber optics in concrete but hey. I don't know who creates the menu but recent quick service menus and this one have been great.

Airports and malls are huge, and are built with economically sensible methods. Anything built with these methods is going to remind you of a mall and the designers are only going to be able to do so much to change it. The teracotta tiles seen in the breeezeway in a previous photo would be very expensive today in a space measured in acres. They need that money for bonuses or maybe to take twitter public.

No Name

Did I say it was a lie? Or did I say it was BS?

Overly flowery language meant to suggest a richer meaning than the space actually has. They tried to paint a picture of a restaurant with an exciting purpose - anyone with a working BS meter could sense that it was just a quickservice restaurant, but then it's silly that they kept going with the monthly press releases about this basic, generic space.

Why do so much PR to pretend it's somehow gonna help unify the new vision for Ex-Future World when it's really just a place to grab your frappucino? It's silly, and a little insulting.
There was a single parks blog article about it. You’re making up this over-promotion by Disney.

FerretAfros

What everyone forgets with these "food court" and "Airport" critiques is that EPCOT Center, the Contemporary and Tomorrowland damn near created the sleek and modern design style. Only recently have architectural designers picked up on how effective the style is, which reflects in many new spaces these days. So EPCOT doesn't feel like any other modern place, these new modern places felt like the EPCOT we've all forgotten.
Disney did not "damn near create the sleek and modern design style," and to say such is either a complete misread of architectural history or willfully disingenuous. Off the top of my head, here are some well-known structures that fit the mold, built long before Disney's facsimiles in their parks:

dam-images-architecture-2012-09-glass-house-philip-johnson-glass-house-h670-search.jpg

1949, Glass House, Philip Johnson

2_364A1204.Z_3.Final_.jpg

1951, Farnsworth House, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

villa_savoye_01.jpg

1931, Villa Savoye, Le Corbusier

googies5.jpg

1949, Googie's Coffee Shop, John Lautner

pan-am-terminal-at-idlewild-airport-dmitri-kessel.jpg

1960, Pan Am Worldport at Idlewild airport (later known as Terminal 3 at JFK), Turano & Gardner

As with nearly everything in the parks, Disney's forward-looking architecture was inspired by other (non-Disney) architecture. This gives the spaces a basis in reality, a visual framework that will be familiar enough to the park guests that they'll quickly recognize and understand the meaning of the buildings.

Googie's Coffee Shop was the namesake of the Googie architectural movement, which is closely associated with midcentury coffee shops, car washes, and bowling alleys; it also heavily influenced the 1967 & 1971 Tomorrowlands, even though tailfins on cars and buildings alike had grown passé by that point. The Communicore buildings can similarly trace their heritage to the pilotis of buildings like Villa Savoye and the glass walls of Glass House and Farnsworth; the round skylight shapes can find influence from Villa Savoye and Farnsworth, and the sweeping overhangs recon back to the Worldport (which, in turn, found influence in Berlin's Tempelhof airport, built in 1934).

If guests had no frame of reference for what a particular structure (say, a European castle or Japanese pagoda) was meant to evoke, the structure in the park would be pointless, as a guest wouldn't know what they're looking at. In order for guests to understand how to interact with a structure, they must have a basic framework of the building typologies used in the park; this works on a macro level (knowing whether a building is a major attraction or a snack bar) as well as a micro one (knowing how to find the building entrance). This long-standing design principle applies to forward-looking buildings just as well as backward-looking ones.

One notable difference between Disney and the outside world is that Disney's buildings tend to stay more "locked" into their design with minimal alterations over time. Where a coffee shop or bowling alley might get renovated every few years to keep up with current trends and tastes, a themed building is meant to evoke a specific era and therefore is less likely to be dramatically altered as the years pass (though contemporary trends influence nearly all aspects of themed design to some degree). The changes to a building in Main Street or Tomorrowland over time are typically far less dramatic than a similar building in the real world. Much like fireworks, steampunk, or animation, Disney did not create the "sleek and modern design style;" they're simply a prominent and accessible example of the style to general audiences in 2022.
You mean PR things like "the most magical place on earth!"?

Or all those commercials showing that going to WDW will be a child's most cherished memory... ever.

Are commercials for a park supposed to make you cry?

When has Disney ever presented a new attraction as simply satisfactory (even tho, that's all it was)?

Over the top PR is a Disney staple.
Over the top PR may be a Disney staple, but have we ever seen so much (digital) ink spilled over the nuts and bolts of a quick-service eatery? Especially when it's not even the park's top-5 most interestingly designed quick-service restaurants?

Disney has made countless mistakes with the Epcot overhaul, but one of the biggest problems is the constant whittling down of the project's scope. As a result, things like Connections and Journey of Water are being thrust into a spotlight they were never intended for. If the park were a restaurant, this would be equivalent to trying to pass of an appetizer or dessert as the main course.

They're pleasant enough diversions on their own, but Disney is hyping them up as though they're headliners, which they most certainly are not. And given the level of investment (financial, time, and operational impact) that the park overhaul project has had, it's unlikely that it will receive the much-needed substance to resolve its underlying issues any time soon.

Joesixtoe

It's a nice get away, relaxing and "connecting" type of atmosphere. The wall art and some of the lighting fixures really helps to break up the sterile(which I like) vibe. It doesn't feel cramped, you can simply get a coffee, sit back and with the giant windows look out at the surrounding Epcot scenery around you. Granted that will be much nicer when the walls come down. I believe this is a giant upgrade to Electric Umbrella, however it's nothing really unique that you can't find in the outside world besides the potential views.

Epcot82Guy

The more I'm thinking about this, the more I think this actually may be a huge example of how far awry Epcot went. And, it's a little frustrating for Disney to be hyping this as if they did some masterful thing. They created the problem!

I still think this is a little generic. But, several people have pointed out other great examples of how this is used successfully (the Expo from @Communicora being a particularly good one). My concern here is (ironically) this NOT being more timeless, more Disney, etc. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind this would look horribly dated in 10 years (let alone 20). Just like a hotel lobby, modern spaces should be refreshed no more than every 10 years. And, these spaces seemed to be designed to allow for that.

My issue is Disney has proven they will let spaces sit in Epcot for 20+ years without an update. And, they then pat themselves on the back for doing this innovative transformation. Stargate lasted 12 years and was viewed as long in the tooth then. Electric Umbrella was there OVER 25 YEARS (1994).

The reason I think I'm irritated is because, had these spaces (and all of Epcot) been given attention, we wouldn't have needed all this. And, I bet we wouldn't need to be totally abandoning Epcot's central themes because "popular". Again, I actually think this new space works pretty well for what it is and aligns to Epcot. But, I refuse to give Disney any praise for this great update when it was something 15 years too late. And, with no indication they will learn from those past mistakes.

Sir_Cliff

Is it? According to Imagineer Zach Riddley, it's a dining experience that "builds upon our World Celebration story by focusing on connections that generations of people make while gathering over a meal", featuring the "relationship of place, people and food from across the world – celebrating the bountiful variety of ingredients and traditions that connect culture and food to the beautiful, diverse places that we call home", with "unique design features that echo EPCOT of the past that are just stunning".

A place where "the gardens and greenery within World Celebration will complement the interiors, allowing our guests to harmonize with nature outside; how friends and family will gather together around a meal or beverage; and how show kitchens will provide a culinary experience for our guests within. The kitchen you see represented here will actually be responsible for making a variety of baked goods, which will be available at Connections Eatery".

And a hub that encourages “connecting”– by the common bond we share over food and the gathering of people across cultures. EPCOT is a park about people, and this new location within World Celebration will commemorate that with the talent and skill found within the kitchen, and those who gather together to enjoy each other’s company over a meal".

. . . That or they were BS'ing us. Shocking.

The fact that it's merely a burger joint being talked up like a meaningful addition is, like, the problem.

And not for nothing, but nowhere in any of the copy about this restaurant (and boy has there been plenty) is any reference made to the World's Fair concept at all. Insufficient though an attempt at "theming" that would be. So I think you're either giving them a freebie on that or your making things up to suit your opinion.

Once again, "there's no there there" in Connections Cafe.
I honestly don't see the issue here and am not sure how they can win. Some are hammering this quick service restaurant for not being an amazing experience that looks like nowhere else on planet Earth, while others are complaining that they have gone overboard in trying to build up a simple quick service restaurant as something it's not.

In terms of this explanation, sure, it's full of hyperbole as Disney PR almost always is. However, it's not really that disconnected from what they built. They did put a mural around the place showing people from different cultures around the world cultivating and eating food, a little museum of coffee implements from different times and place, and whatever that rolling pin display is supposed to be. The show kitchens do let guests watch food being prepared, and the windows do provide rather lovely views of the gardens outside.

They have to come up with some concept to guide the design, and in this case they seem to have come up with a decent one that you can detect in the space if you look for it but probably goes over the heads of most guests. It also gives the place a name that makes sense and harmonizes with Creations next-door.

I much prefer this kind of 'backstory' that is more conceptual than literal to all the fan fiction they are writing about supposed owners of stores, their families, and friends in other parks. This seems more like the Disney of old than the other type of laboured backstory that modern Imagineers seem to love.

Last edited:

tcool123

Having lunch at Connections Cafe and Eatery right now and Epcot fans will be pleased to know that the background music includes a rendition of Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand from the Millennium Celebration alongside other Epcot themes I couldn’t make out. This doesnt mean that’s the entire background music playlist plenty of it is full of generic upbeat tunes that are nice enough.

Side note the Curry Spice Pizza is delish definitely recommend! The overall ambience is rather nice too with plenty of natural light and colors, the giant mural is also very well done, and the light fixtures in particular are great

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom