Connections Cafe and Eatery

aladdin2007

At least back then (even though it was garish) when I went into that space I felt "I'm in Epcot". I knew instantly where I was and it was unique, fun, and reinforced my experience that I can't get anywhere else.

With this new generic, bland space it looks like "I'm, well, anywhere they build a new food court today".

While I agree, I will say though this is looking better than the hideous store next door. (both still look like hospitals to me). But whether one likes any of these locations or not in terms of style/ambience etc...this is what happens now when designers from California are in charge and have never stepped foot in our parks and are clueless about Epcot or Disney World etc.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
What everyone forgets with these "food court" and "Airport" critiques is that EPCOT Center, the Contemporary and Tomorrowland damn near created the sleek and modern design style. Only recently have architectural designers picked up on how effective the style is, which reflects in many new spaces these days. So EPCOT doesn't feel like any other modern place, these new modern places felt like the EPCOT we've all forgotten.

Centauri Space Station

At least back then (even though it was garish) when I went into that space I felt "I'm in Epcot". I knew instantly where I was and it was unique, fun, and reinforced my experience that I can't get anywhere else.

With this new generic, bland space it looks like "I'm, well, anywhere they build a new food court today".
90s Epcot garish, cluttered, dark vs 80s Epcot clean, open, visually pleasing

yensidtlaw1969

If you want themed decor go to World Showcase or Magic Kingdom.
This part of Epcot that used to be Future world isn’t really a theme park in that sense, baroque over the top theming wouldn’t work in an area that is meant to be contemporary and modern.
"Contemporary" and "Modern" are really not the words for EPCOT, either - both of which suggest influence taken from looking around rather than looking ahead.

I think Casper's point was that paying a ton of money to enter a Theme Park that's decorated similarly to the world you just left behind makes little sense. If Connections offers Apple Store/Airport vibes, well, I could have just gone to the Airport. I don't think they were suggesting the word Baroque literally, just that streamlined and minimal ornamentation does nothing the real world doesn't already do.

The point of the park (and its hefty admission price) is to give us a place to go that's unlike anywhere else. Connections is decidedly like many places, and blueprint terrazzo really isn't enough to distinguish it.

James Alucobond

The point of the park (and its hefty admission price) is to give us a place to go that's unlike anywhere else. Connections is decidedly like many places, and blueprint terrazzo really isn't enough to distinguish it.
Being "unlike anywhere else" is about the sum total of the park's parts and the overall experience. The World Showcase literally has scaled-down recreations of existing architectural works. Should people be upset about the price of admission because they can just go see the real Eiffel Tower elsewhere? The allure is in the cultural intersection and the ability to quickly "walk around the world". Similarly, the original selling point of Future World was that it represented an eternal world's fair, an event that many people would never get to experience otherwise and that was ephemeral even if they had.

UNCgolf

"Contemporary" and "Modern" are really not the words for EPCOT, either - both of which suggest influence taken from looking around rather than looking ahead.

I think Casper's point was that paying a ton of money to enter a Theme Park that's decorated similarly to the world you just left behind makes little sense. If Connections offers Apple Store/Airport vibes, well, I could have just gone to the Airport. I don't think they were suggesting the word Baroque literally, just that streamlined and minimal ornamentation does nothing the real world doesn't already do.

I understand the point you're making, but hasn't that always been true of the central spine locations in EPCOT? It's why I don't have much issue with this new design.

They've always been beholden to contemporary design trends; Electric Umbrella is a shining example of that.

yensidtlaw1969

I understand the point you're making, but hasn't that always been true of the central spine locations in EPCOT? It's why I don't have much issue with this new design.

They've always been beholden to contemporary design trends; Electric Umbrella is a shining example of that.
Communicore was not beholden to contemporary design trends. As indicated somewhere earlier, it much more became the model for what others would do moving forward.

Electric Umbrella, as I think we all know, was a shining example of them missing the mark on the EPCOT aesthetic by several nautical miles.

Connections can be better aesthetically than Electric Umbrella and still be missing the mark.

UNCgolf

Communicore was not beholden to contemporary design trends. As indicated somewhere earlier, it much more became the model for what others would do moving forward.

Electric Umbrella, as I think we all know, was a shining example of them missing the mark on the EPCOT aesthetic by several nautical miles.

Connections can be better aesthetically than Electric Umbrella and still be missing the mark.

I think Communicore itself as an overall structure is different than spaces like Connections, though. I don't remember any of the QS locations or shops in the spine ever being disconnected from contemporary design. Electric Umbrella is obviously a major example, but Centorium etc. were very much of their time too.

Long story short, of everything they've built as part of this EPCOT overhaul, this is probably the least offensive other than the entrance. And maybe the outdoor part of Ratatouille.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Being "unlike anywhere else" is about the sum total of the park's parts and the overall experience. The World Showcase literally has scaled-down recreations of existing architectural works. Should people be upset about the price of admission because they can just go see the real Eiffel Tower elsewhere? The allure is in the cultural intersection and the ability to quickly "walk around the world". Similarly, the original selling point of Future World was that it represented an eternal world's fair, an event that many people would never get to experience otherwise and that was ephemeral even if they had.
I think you know that Eiffel Tower example is not quite the same. I can't drive 20 minutes up I4 and go to the real Eiffel Tower. I can drive 20 minutes from EPCOT to the Apple Store. Or the Mall, or the Airport. Most guests, regardless of where they're from, have some example of interior design nearby that sits on the same wavelength as Connections. Only a small fraction of guests at EPCOT will look and say "We've got The Eiffel Tower at home" - and even then there's at least the novelty of seeing the facsimile of your own unique country.

I've visted EPCOT with friends from several of the countries represented in World Showcase, and they're always most interested in seeing how theirs is represented and pointing out the similarities and differences. Do you think there will be any similar phenomenon for Connections? Or will it simply just feel generic, because it kind of is?

James Alucobond

Do you think there will be any similar phenomenon for Connections? Or will it simply just feel generic, because it kind of is?
From a shopping and dining standpoint, I don't think that's the purpose CommuniCore has served, ever. Again, it's part of the larger Future World conceit. The decor within has never been divorced from contemporary trend, even if it contained more interesting exhibits. And that's okay; I don't think I've ever seen a photo of folks dining at the 1964 World's Fair where they weren't either on a park bench or chilling in a mid-century bucket chair around a tulip table.

yensidtlaw1969

From a shopping and dining standpoint, I don't think that's the purpose CommuniCore has served, ever. Again, it's part of the larger Future World conceit. The decor within has never been divorced from contemporary trend, even if it contained more interesting exhibits. And that's okay; I don't think I've ever seen a photo of folks dining at the 1964 World's Fair where they weren't either on a park bench or chilling in a mid-century bucket chair around a tulip table.
That seems like a contemporary perspective on CommuniCore - back when it opened and operated as designed it certainly was an example of forward-looking design, in both the building's structure and contents, including the exhibits.

Forward looking in form and function - but even if we forgo form, the building at least still had its function as a strong, unique element. Connections is not forward looking in either its form or function . . . I could almost forgive its function being relatively pedestrian if at least the form was forward-looking. But to not give us either?

It's just a restaurant. Not even a glorified one. Clean, sure, but that's no feat, it's de rigeur. Same with Creations. There's no there there.

UNCgolf

That seems like a contemporary perspective on CommuniCore - back when it opened and operated as designed it certainly was an example of forward-looking design, in both the building's structure and contents, including the exhibits.

Forward looking in form and function - but even if we forgo form, the building at least still had its function as a strong, unique element. Connections is not forward looking in either its form or function . . . I could almost forgive its function being relatively pedestrian if at least the form was forward-looking. But to not give us either?

It's just a restaurant. Not even a glorified one. Clean, sure, but that's no feat, it's de rigeur. Same with Creations. There's no there there.

I just don't see how that's different from the original shop and restaurant in the spine. I don't see much of an argument that Centorium was forward looking, or wildly different than other shops of its era. Neither was Stargate.

Would I prefer something less generic there? Of course. In the grand scheme of things, though, this space is essentially a win compared to what they're doing elsewhere.

Communicore itself is a completely separate argument, and I agree with you there.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I would imagine the forward-looking form was meant to come from the accompanying festival center since it's difficult to not re-tread with the exterior when you're simply doing a restoration. I agree that much in terms of overall function was lost, but I don't agree that the shopping and dining venues were ever a significant part of the original future-facing vision of CommuniCore.

EDIT: Sorry, slow. Basically said the same thing as the above post.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Y'all know it's just a coffee shop and a burger/pizza joint "at a World's Fair", right?

1650856332406.png

1650856367850.png

1650856395580.png

1650856425147.png

1650856465166.png

yensidtlaw1969

Y'all know it's just a coffee shop and a burger/pizza joint "at a World's Fair", right?

View attachment 635181

View attachment 635182

View attachment 635183

View attachment 635184

View attachment 635185

Is it? According to Imagineer Zach Riddley, it's a dining experience that "builds upon our World Celebration story by focusing on connections that generations of people make while gathering over a meal", featuring the "relationship of place, people and food from across the world – celebrating the bountiful variety of ingredients and traditions that connect culture and food to the beautiful, diverse places that we call home", with "unique design features that echo EPCOT of the past that are just stunning".

A place where "the gardens and greenery within World Celebration will complement the interiors, allowing our guests to harmonize with nature outside; how friends and family will gather together around a meal or beverage; and how show kitchens will provide a culinary experience for our guests within. The kitchen you see represented here will actually be responsible for making a variety of baked goods, which will be available at Connections Eatery".

And a hub that encourages “connecting”– by the common bond we share over food and the gathering of people across cultures. EPCOT is a park about people, and this new location within World Celebration will commemorate that with the talent and skill found within the kitchen, and those who gather together to enjoy each other’s company over a meal".

. . . That or they were BS'ing us. Shocking.

The fact that it's merely a burger joint being talked up like a meaningful addition is, like, the problem.

And not for nothing, but nowhere in any of the copy about this restaurant (and boy has there been plenty) is any reference made to the World's Fair concept at all. Insufficient though an attempt at "theming" that would be. So I think you're either giving them a freebie on that or your making things up to suit your opinion.

Once again, "there's no there there" in Connections Cafe.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

Is it? According to Imagineer Zach Riddley, it's a dining experience that "builds upon our World Celebration story by focusing on connections that generations of people make while gathering over a meal", featuring the "relationship of place, people and food from across the world – celebrating the bountiful variety of ingredients and traditions that connect culture and food to the beautiful, diverse places that we call home", with "unique design features that echo EPCOT of the past that are just stunning".

A place where "the gardens and greenery within World Celebration will complement the interiors, allowing our guests to harmonize with nature outside; how friends and family will gather together around a meal or beverage; and how show kitchens will provide a culinary experience for our guests within. The kitchen you see represented here will actually be responsible for making a variety of baked goods, which will be available at Connections Eatery".

And a hub that encourages “connecting”– by the common bond we share over food and the gathering of people across cultures. EPCOT is a park about people, and this new location within World Celebration will commemorate that with the talent and skill found within the kitchen, and those who gather together to enjoy each other’s company over a meal".

. . . That or they were BS'ing us. Shocking.

The fact that it's merely a burger joint being talked up like a meaningful addition is, like, the problem.

And not for nothing, but nowhere in any of the copy about this restaurant (and boy has there been plenty) is any reference made to the World's Fair concept at all. Insufficient though an attempt at "theming" that would be. So I think you're either giving them a freebie on that or your making things up to suit your opinion.

Once again, "there's no there there" in Connections Cafe.

You can’t argue the copy doesn’t describe the space as built though, a meeting place with views of nature and open kitchens that allows you to concentrate on the people you are making connections with.
It’s a plain space as the main purpose is to allow you and friends:/family to eat and drink. Doesn’t need to evoque a different place (like World Showcase or much of Animal Kingdom) or a different time (like much of Magic Kingdom) or a fictional place (like Hollywood Studios). It is just a cafe and quick service restaurant and not designed to be anything more than a place to sit with friends/family.

yensidtlaw1969

You can’t argue the copy doesn’t describe the space as built though, a meeting place with views of nature and open kitchens that allows you to concentrate on the people you are making connections with.
It’s a plain space as the main purpose is to allow you and friends:/family to eat and drink. Doesn’t need to evoque a different place (like World Showcase or much of Animal Kingdom) or a different time (like much of Magic Kingdom) or a fictional place (like Hollywood Studios). It is just a cafe and quick service restaurant and not designed to be anything more than a place to sit with friends/family.
I didn't say it did have to do any of those things.

All I asked for was some forward-looking design.

That shouldn't be too much to ask from EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom