Connections Cafe and Eatery

michmousefan

I can’t be the only one who thinks Connections looks fabulous…? The sunken floors, the planters, the murals and friezes are all very EPCOT-chic.
It *does* look fabulous, particularly at night. There's just a lot of folks on the board tripping over each other in an effort to out-crack wise about virtually anything that is tied to the current management. They wouldn't be happy with *any* design.

There are directives to question about the current state of things at Epcot and WDW, but this really isn't one of them.

180º

The more I look at this, the more I'm ok with it. But, it 100% baffles me why they didn't continue this around the circle. (Ego, I know) It actually would have felt like a huge throw back to Communicore to have Creations (shop), Connections (restaurant), Celebrations (Festival Center) and XXXX (new attraction or space with a C name - Conversations, Collections, etc.) That would have given the entire "pavilion" an identity and made each of the parts feel more impressive. I get that half of it is kind of that way, but it just doesn't work that well.

In short, "the whole being greater than the sum of its parts."
Totally agree. With how beautifully they’ve restored Communicore East, it’s a shame we lost West and what could have been.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

To me it looks like a cross between Odyssey and pizza pasta, leaves me curious to see how the rest or World Celebration turns out. Seems to be turning into the go to spot if all goes well.

Indy_UK

Watched some videos and both the cafe’ and Eatery, I think they look good. What else in that giant building is still being worked on?

The Guest relations is there?

So glad that side of the park is almost there

James Alucobond

Having the mural return and balloons move again would be a massive improvement to the central area.
Agree. I’ve kind of always thought the best way to update this would be to freshen the surfaces, paint updated designs onto the balloons, fix their animation, replace the area where the fountain was with an indoor planter, and then possibly add some dynamism by encircling the balloons in a spiral of cloud light fixtures or something.

F0E66016-95CB-4809-988D-D21E8C8C271B.jpeg

Casper Gutman

I honestly don't know how you could design a more boring space. Posters above seem to like it, and I just genuinely cannot understand that perspective. It is utterly characterless. If you want subdued and minimalist, why go to a theme park in the first place? I've been looking at theme parks in Europe, places like Phantasialand and Efteling, and the dedication to baroque, even excessive theming is invigorating. The twenty-year generification of WDW stands in stark contrast.

trainplane3

Agree. I’ve kind of always thought the best way to update this would be to freshen the surfaces, paint updated designs onto the balloons, fix their animation, replace the area where the fountain was with an indoor planter, and then possibly add some dynamism by encircling the balloons in a spiral of cloud light fixtures or something.

View attachment 634794
That'd be an idea. Change colors for seasons too.

So the burgers come with sides. $12.99 for a burger and fries is not a bad price at all.
That's...cheap for WDW? I'm surprised.

I'll check out the place next time I'm down.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
$12-13 for a burger isn’t cheap for WDW, it’s their normal inflated prices. I’d rather go to Regal Eagle and eat something decent for $1 more.

Oh wait, “you’re in a Disney theme park/inside the Disney bubble”. Forgot my pixie dust hit this morning.

WDWJoeG

$12-13 for a burger isn’t cheap for WDW, it’s their normal inflated prices. I’d rather go to Regal Eagle and eat something decent for $1 more.

Oh wait, “you’re in a Disney theme park/inside the Disney bubble”. Forgot my pixie dust hit this morning.
Pandering Epcot plans floor tile ain't cheap!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

It is the normal price for any entertainment venue...theme park, stadium, arena, etc. Why would they price themselves below the rest of the entertainment industry?

Disney Analyst

It is the normal price for any entertainment venue...theme park, stadium, arena, etc. Why would they price themselves below the rest of the entertainment industry?

If I go to a normal restaurant out here… like an Earls, Cactus Club, etc… I’m paying 17-20 for a burger and a side… and 2-4 dollars more to upgrade the side.

12.99 feels like a steal to me, and in a theme park?! I’m shocked.

James Alucobond

I honestly don't know how you could design a more boring space. Posters above seem to like it, and I just genuinely cannot understand that perspective. It is utterly characterless. If you want subdued and minimalist, why go to a theme park in the first place? I've been looking at theme parks in Europe, places like Phantasialand and Efteling, and the dedication to baroque, even excessive theming is invigorating. The twenty-year generification of WDW stands in stark contrast.
EPCOT is not styled in the same way as a traditional theme park. Yes, the attractions are changing to be more IP-driven, but it still has all the window dressing of a world's fair. Modern makes sense. Why bring up examples of excess like baroque and rococo when those would make no thematic sense?

DC0703

To be fair, Future World has always been minimal in the theming department. Even in Epcot's glory days, you could argue that a lot of FW had "airport" like design elements to it. What has changed is the definition of modern - today modern is associated with the minimal, sleek, Apple look, whereas old Epcot reflected modern as the robotic, blocky style of the 80s. If they went with something completely different people would complain that they are ruining the classic Epcot aesthetic.

In other areas of Disney, I'd agree with you about theming. Here, it fits the bill.

Jon81uk

If you want themed decor go to World Showcase or Magic Kingdom.
This part of Epcot that used to be Future world isn’t really a theme park in that sense, baroque over the top theming wouldn’t work in an area that is meant to be contemporary and modern.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom