Connections Cafe and Eatery

UNCgolf

Gah...they already removed the Mediterranean Burger and the Banh Mi burger from the menu.
Those were the two things I wanted to try from there.

Grrr....

I can't say I'm that surprised that they're already cutting back on the menu, but it still seems pretty fast. Hasn't it only been open about 3.5 months?

Cmdr_Crimson

Really? For (I hate saying this) the park's "main" restaurant, it lacks seating - especially being right next to the park's newest attraction.
Did Electric Umbrella ever fill up that much for guests? I never it saw extremely busy but, was still able to find a seat even when they'd close the 2nd floor area.

Epcot82Guy

Did Electric Umbrella ever fill up that much for guests? I never it saw extremely busy but, was still able to find a seat even when they'd close the 2nd floor area.
There were times it was. Though that was earlier in its existence. A big factor is there were also the restaurants on the other side. So, this is serving the purpose of two to three spots. Not saying that makes it better or worse. Just that the capacity shifted a bit with this design.

doctornick

There were times it was. Though that was earlier in its existence. A big factor is there were also the restaurants on the other side. So, this is serving the purpose of two to three spots. Not saying that makes it better or worse. Just that the capacity shifted a bit with this design.

What restaurants "on the other side" are you referring to? The Odyssey or the food service in Wonders of Life?

If you mean the food in the Land, that still exists.

hopemax

On our first trip in 1995 there was a pizza place across from Fountain View. I have no recollection of this place at all (I was 19, so not even a little kid), but my Dad remembers the Mickey shaped pizzas and talks about it an unbelievable amount of time.

MagicHappens1971

On our first trip in 1995 there was a pizza place across from Fountain View. I have no recollection of this place at all (I was 19, so not even a little kid), but my Dad remembers the Mickey shaped pizzas and talks about it an unbelievable amount of time.
I found these pics on LostEpcot.com, apparently it was inside Innoventions West. Idk what replaced it at the time though

Attachments

• 3464600C-D7FA-4FA4-91D5-E5A0C7B629CA.jpeg
    3464600C-D7FA-4FA4-91D5-E5A0C7B629CA.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 107
  • FAF3958B-574B-40E6-A1C1-270DBA45A5C2.jpeg
    FAF3958B-574B-40E6-A1C1-270DBA45A5C2.jpeg
    588 KB · Views: 101

Epcot82Guy

What restaurants "on the other side" are you referring to? The Odyssey or the food service in Wonders of Life?

No. I meant originally. Innoventions Plaza originally had 3 restaurants: Electric Umbrella, Pasta Piazza and Fountainview (plus Ice Station Cool). Connections replaced those 3.

Expanding it to all of Future World:
Innoventions Era: Electric Umbrella, Pasta Piazza, Fountainview, Sunshine Seasons, Pure and Simple, Odyssey and (eventually) Taste Track.

Today: Connections Cafe, Sunshine Seasons, Taste Track. (Uncertain if anything will be added into Play or Communicore Hall.

Obviously, there have been lots of venues closed and underutilized. Plus, we have various popcorn stands, pretzel stands, etc. that have come and gone - along with F&W kiosks. I was just comparing the main restaurants from the last major Spine redo to today.

Disstevefan1

I remember a LONG TIME AGO when the Odyssey was a functional restaurant. Ironically, we stepped in, and it was WAY TOO CROWDED, so we moved on.

See, WDW was always MOBBED it's just now we have discussion forums where we can gather to complain about it

doctornick

No. I meant originally. Innoventions Plaza originally had 3 restaurants: Electric Umbrella, Pasta Piazza and Fountainview (plus Ice Station Cool). Connections replaced those 3.

Expanding it to all of Future World:
Innoventions Era: Electric Umbrella, Pasta Piazza, Fountainview, Sunshine Seasons, Pure and Simple, Odyssey and (eventually) Taste Track.

Today: Connections Cafe, Sunshine Seasons, Taste Track. (Uncertain if anything will be added into Play or Communicore Hall.

Obviously, there have been lots of venues closed and underutilized. Plus, we have various popcorn stands, pretzel stands, etc. that have come and gone - along with F&W kiosks. I was just comparing the main restaurants from the last major Spine redo to today.

Was Fountainview just an ice cream shop? I mean, I guess that's a "restaurant" but not really the same as something like Connections.

Anyway, couldn't you easily say that it's really two things now with Connections Cafe versus Connections Eatery. They are kinda two separate locations, just next to each other.

UNCgolf

Was Fountainview just an ice cream shop? I mean, I guess that's a "restaurant" but not really the same as something like Connections.

Anyway, couldn't you easily say that it's really two things now with Connections Cafe versus Connections Eatery. They are kinda two separate locations, just next to each other.

I'm pretty sure it was originally a cafe/bakery before turning into an ice cream shop, but I think it was still just a dessert place. I don't think they had sandwiches or anything like that.

And doesn't Connections Cafe only serve breakfast sandwiches? Plus, it's Starbucks food, right? It's a stretch to even call that food.

FoodRockz

There was also Mickey shaped pasta. Oh, the old days.

Epcot82Guy

I think it's definitely fair to say Connections is two venues. I was actually assuming that myself.

Net, net - assuming we don't get a food spot in Play or CC Hall, the new design has Connections and Connections Cafe replacing Fountainview and Electric Umbrella. There is a net loss of Odyssey (as a general food spot), Pasta Piazza and Pure and Simple. Which, given crowds, is I think fair to say some contribution to the crowds at Connections.

Epcot82Guy

And thinking broadly (though need some help from my long-standing Epcot fan friends here), I think World Showcase quick service has seen La Cava, Choza, Joy of Tea, the Gelato stand and Artisan de Glace added (with the expanded Les Halles). Plus the swapped crepe window. We lost the beaver tails.

DisneyDebRob

Gah...they already removed the Mediterranean Burger and the Banh Mi burger from the menu.
Those were the two things I wanted to try from there.

Grrr....
I can't say I'm that surprised that they're already cutting back on the menu, but it still seems pretty fast. Hasn't it only been open about 3.5 months?
Thats the pattern for about 90% of Disney dining locations. Open something new.. have a few really unique items.. then the crowds show Disney that they just want burgers and fries.. the menu gets dumbed down. Not in all cases but most. Its the reason i cant find anything spicy anywhere on property. Its all dumbed down to the masses. I get it but dont like it. Ill see something thats sounds fantastic when something opens here on the boards. I know if im not at disin 2-3 months I probably wont be able to try it. Especially seasoned spicy dishes. There are a few still left but not many.

Guest demand says no to unique things.😎

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom