Condition of the Tomorrowland Speedway

Sonconato

I can't go by that area without:
  1. coughing my brains out
  2. getting a splitting headache
  3. pretty soon needing this:
Speedway.png

mouse_luv

I think the spot could fit an attraction fitting with Tomorrowland, something futuristic, like a light-cycle roller coaster..
Don't you think?

You mean like the Tron Light Cycle attraction they are putting in at Shanghai DL?! :rolleyes: More than likely not going to happen at WDW MK.

Dwarful

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. We do ride it every trip...well, it is there, we have time and none of the theme parks around us have this type of attraction. Well, Six Flags did have one but they cut it so much it is about half a football field loop.

copcarguyp71

Not to mention the tracks been shrunk 3 times now since 1971. Keep going and it'll just be a small circle.

Don't give them any ideas!

Really though...this ride is the epitome of corporate laziness and lack of reinvestment within the parks on existing attractions. It is the UoE of The Magic Kingdom IMO. But, I guess as long as there is a line at the ride then management feels justified in turning a blind eye to it. I just don't understand how more classic rides that actually have Disney tie-ins fall under the axe but this thing seems to languish on in perpetual purgatory. Maybe they can't trash it because of the missile silo under the track...o_O

DisneyFans4Life

Don't give them any ideas!

Really though...this ride is the epitome of corporate laziness and lack of reinvestment within the parks on existing attractions. It is the UoE of The Magic Kingdom IMO. But, I guess as long as there is a line at the ride then management feels justified in turning a blind eye to it. I just don't understand how more classic rides that actually have Disney tie-ins fall under the axe but this thing seems to languish on in perpetual purgatory. Maybe they can't trash it because of the missile silo under the track...o_O
The missile silo is under the hub. There were some issues with it, which caused the whole redesign of the hub.

ryguy

I am surprised a cast member hasn't sued for workplace endangerment over the fumes. I feel bad for the cm's, it has to be one of the worst jobs at the World. I agree with everyone else, such a waste of valuable space. Can't see why Disney wouldn't want to add something here before they tackled a possible Frontierland expansion. Its pretty much vacant land.

WDWVolFan

How about make it two laps, turn the cars into sleighs...Elsa, Anna and Olof and have Let it Go blasting on loop? That would be entertaining LOL

MississippiBelle

I am surprised a cast member hasn't sued for workplace endangerment over the fumes. I feel bad for the cm's, it has to be one of the worst jobs at the World. I agree with everyone else, such a waste of valuable space. Can't see why Disney wouldn't want to add something here before they tackled a possible Frontierland expansion. Its pretty much vacant land.

Not to mention there is no shade in the load area and the heat of a Florida summer combined with the heat and smell coming off of the lawn mower engines makes it a veritable gas chamber. I have never been a fan of this ride either and would much rather see it replaced with something different. That being said, if replacement isn't an option then an upgrade with some of the ideas posted earlier would be ideal. Once you are out of the mosh pit from hell in the beginning, the ride can be quite enjoyable. Add some more trees and topiaries to look at and it wouldn't be half bad.

DisneyFans4Life

What!?! You mean it isn't already self-driving? I've been riding it for years. Just sit back, hit the gas and away we go. Sure its a bit bumpy on the corners but at least I don't have to steer. LOL
Sometimes a CM will even hop on and drive your car to unload. If you're lucky...not only do you not need to steer, but you don't even need to push down the gas pedal at that point.

blueboxdoctor

What you meant to say by electric power is actually put a 1.4 L turbocharged engine from a Fiat 500 Abarth in it and let everyone have a go. And it'll be like keeping the current conditions since it's Fiat, and will inevitably also break down a lot. But at least it'll be fun.

But seriously, I wouldn't mind if it went the way of the dinosaur (cliche expressions are the best expressions).

P_Radden

What!?! You mean it isn't already self-driving? I've been riding it for years. Just sit back, hit the gas and away we go. Sure its a bit bumpy on the corners but at least I don't have to steer. LOL
Last time we did it, steering didn't matter anyway as the car was bouncing left and right on the rail the whole time :( not fun at all.

rsoxguy

I haven't been on this attraction for almost twenty years. I barely notice its presence as I walk past. Still, it seems popular and full. Disney can't please everyone, but enough seem pleased to keep the thing going. No biggie to me.

Kate F

Is this ride really that popular though? Sure, it may get long waits during peak times of the year, but so does pretty much every other ride in the MK, at least from my experiences. It sure doesn't seem to be anyone's favorite. And why settle for the okay popularity this thing has now when an updated version or replacement would probably be even more popular?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom