Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Winter Slump Cure

Hey everyone
We just got back from a very last minute trip to Walt Disney World so I decided to write a trip report because I took enough photos :hilarious:

Who?
Just my Mom and I (Mary and Megan)
560137393.jpeg

When?
A very quick trip - January 23-26, 2020

Why?
A few weeks ago my Mom and I were staring out the window at a restaurant and it was so grey and depressing. All I could think about was sunshine so I convinced my Mom to go down to Florida for a weekend to get some sun :) Our winter so far has not been bad in terms of snow (yet...hopefully not at all) but the lack of sun every single day can get old (the winter slump).

Where?
Not many options when booking very last minute, but we ended up at the Yacht Club again which was great!
z5wrRTCIQu2zL8d0xvT+4Q.jpg

January 23, 2020
My Mom and I both had to work so we had an 8 pm flight. I was very lucky that I got out a little early because there was a major accident on the way home and it took me almost an hour with some weird back roads to get home. Thankfully the airport from where we live is the other direction on the thruway (but not thankfully for my Dad who had to drive back home in it after dropping us off). Anyway - we got to the airport around 6 pm and checked our luggage. There was a guy next to us who was about to pay $75 because his luggage was too heavy. The Southwest employees offered him a duffel bag for $25 which he could check for free. I thought that was nice!
Anyway - thanks to TSA precheck we made it through security in about a minute. The airport was literally dead. They actually had to start running the belt again because they shut it down :hilarious:
We stopped for some dinner at the Anchor Bar
We shared the appetizer sampler - wings, boneless wings, mozzarellas sticks, and fries :)
Zey4Oun3TSqDQ9G0BQBRDw.jpg

kqQ5EgqcQ3avZ31ZqMDybQ.jpg

Then we headed to the gate
DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

We actually boarded our plane on time which never happens when we have an evening flight.
We were seated in row 2!
gXNIBO9uRtOU1QjwcTOANA.jpg

New Grumpy Magic Bands
IMG_1550.JPG

Next up: more travel day

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Following. Love the disapproving look of the lady over Mary's left shoulder on the fonorail. She could pass for one of the wicked sisters...

HAHAHA I did't even notice

Following along. Glad you got to get away for a quick trip, the countdown to our next trip is killing me!

Here lies the problem of Southwest Points and APs :joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I had noticed her look too! It was almost as if fun is not allowed 😉.

And you should have put a spoiler alert on the food picture ... I’ve not started dinner yet and that made me hungry!! :joyfull:

Sorry for the lack of spoiler :hilarious: That poor lady was probably just tired:joyfull:

I’m in! Looking forward to reading another TR!

Thanks for following

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Yay, I'm in! I totally understand needing some sunshine we too are in a winter slump. I'm so tired of these gray days.

Ugh so gray!!! We had sun for a few minutes today it was nice :hilarious:

Woo Hoo!! Glad you got away from the dreariness for a few days. Living in Pittsburgh I know exactly where you’re coming from!!

Yes - I'm glad you guys got away too!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Well Megan, I beat you by 1 rank in the dreariest winter city in the US.

View attachment 445512

6. Grand Rapids, Michigan

Grand Rapids owes its high placement on this list to the proximity of Lake Michigan, which lies about 30 miles to the west. Lake-effect clouds keep the Furniture City gray during the winter, contributing to its measly 29% sunshine rate from November to February. That’s the second-lowest rate of any city in our study, tied with Portland, Oregon.

7. Buffalo, New York

The gloomiest winters on the East Coast are in Buffalo. Like Grand Rapids, Buffalo suffers from lake-effect cloud cover and lake-effect snow off of a Great Lake—in this case, Lake Erie. Occasionally winds off of Lake Erie can dump several feet of snow on Buffalo over the course of just days, as happened most recently in November 2014.

Lake Effect snow for the win!

I can't believe that Pittsburgh is not in the top 10!!

I was just getting ready to tag you and say the same!

I'm surprised as well !

Minnesota disney fan

Yea! This is just what I needed! It is so dreary here with mounds of white snow, gray skies, dark grey trees, etc, etc. I really need some Florida sunshine now ! (only 3 1/2 weeks til our trip):)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 January 24, 2020
After a good rest we got up around 7:20. We did not have Fast Passes until a little later in the morning because we originally were going to fly in Friday morning. So...since we have the Princess Half coming up we decided we would go for a little run. This was another way I justified this trip - I told my Mom we could run in the heat and hopefully get used to it :facepalm::joyfull:
So - we decided to run in the direction of HS. My Mom suggested we look at the app to see if by some chance there were still boarding passes available for Rise. They were in the overflow groups so we hopped in quickly and grabbed one! We were boarding group 141. I had no hope for this since the day before they never got to any of the back up groups (I literally stalk the app for trends like a weirdo), but that did not matter to us! We had plans to go the next morning anyway. P.S. the sign outside said there were no more boarding groups and this was after 8 am so I don't think people even thought to look in the app anymore :)
IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

We only ended up running 2 miles because my heartburn was super bad :hilarious:
After our super long run ( :joyfull::hilarious: ) we headed down to the Marketplace to grab some breakfast.
My Mom had a chocolate twist and I had a croissant.
IMG_1583D.JPG

IMG_1584D.JPG

And some Disney milk (good for the heartburn, but also just good!).
IMG_1586D.JPG

Then we showered and got ready for the MK!
Pretending like I was part of the old opening show :) My Mom and I dance around to the music all the time in front of my nephew Max and pretend like we are in the show :)
DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG

fullsizeoutput_4f45.jpeg

What a nice City Hall :hilarious:
DSC_0139.JPG

Next up: more MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
My first order of business was to check essentially all the shops that could possibly have the Space Mt Minnie Mouse ears (there were none :cry: ). I'm so bummed that they sold out - I really wanted some!
After all that shopping and not buying anything we decided to wait in line for Dumbo. I think we waited 15 minutes so lots of time for photos.
DSC_0142.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG

DSC_0144.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

DSC_0146.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0153.JPG

DSC_0154.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

Next up: more MK

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Ugh we too have had a particularly gray (and foggy) January. It’s been so bad that I was so excited to see the sun out the other day as I headed to the bus to go to work, that I snapped this picture:

A8376940-1011-4A75-8C23-FB34C4A2E945.jpeg

And about an hour or so later the clouds and fog came back and we haven’t seen the sun again since 😕

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Ugh we too have had a particularly gray (and foggy) January. It’s been so bad that I was so excited to see the sun out the other day as I headed to the bus to go to work, that I snapped this picture:

View attachment 445650

And about an hour or so later the clouds and fog came back and we haven’t seen the sun again since 😕

our weather people here promised last Sunday was supposed to be sunny, but nope gray. Yesterday we were supposed to see perks of sun but no it was clouds all day. Weather people say this weekend we might see sun, I am 100% skeptical about this forecast.

MeeskaMooska0714

Well Megan, I beat you by 1 rank in the dreariest winter city in the US.

View attachment 445512

6. Grand Rapids, Michigan

Grand Rapids owes its high placement on this list to the proximity of Lake Michigan, which lies about 30 miles to the west. Lake-effect clouds keep the Furniture City gray during the winter, contributing to its measly 29% sunshine rate from November to February. That’s the second-lowest rate of any city in our study, tied with Portland, Oregon.

7. Buffalo, New York

The gloomiest winters on the East Coast are in Buffalo. Like Grand Rapids, Buffalo suffers from lake-effect cloud cover and lake-effect snow off of a Great Lake—in this case, Lake Erie. Occasionally winds off of Lake Erie can dump several feet of snow on Buffalo over the course of just days, as happened most recently in November 2014.
It's been SO depressing lately!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom