Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Winter Slump Cure

Hey everyone
We just got back from a very last minute trip to Walt Disney World so I decided to write a trip report because I took enough photos :hilarious:

Who?
Just my Mom and I (Mary and Megan)
560137393.jpeg

When?
A very quick trip - January 23-26, 2020

Why?
A few weeks ago my Mom and I were staring out the window at a restaurant and it was so grey and depressing. All I could think about was sunshine so I convinced my Mom to go down to Florida for a weekend to get some sun :) Our winter so far has not been bad in terms of snow (yet...hopefully not at all) but the lack of sun every single day can get old (the winter slump).

Where?
Not many options when booking very last minute, but we ended up at the Yacht Club again which was great!
z5wrRTCIQu2zL8d0xvT+4Q.jpg

January 23, 2020
My Mom and I both had to work so we had an 8 pm flight. I was very lucky that I got out a little early because there was a major accident on the way home and it took me almost an hour with some weird back roads to get home. Thankfully the airport from where we live is the other direction on the thruway (but not thankfully for my Dad who had to drive back home in it after dropping us off). Anyway - we got to the airport around 6 pm and checked our luggage. There was a guy next to us who was about to pay $75 because his luggage was too heavy. The Southwest employees offered him a duffel bag for $25 which he could check for free. I thought that was nice!
Anyway - thanks to TSA precheck we made it through security in about a minute. The airport was literally dead. They actually had to start running the belt again because they shut it down :hilarious:
We stopped for some dinner at the Anchor Bar
We shared the appetizer sampler - wings, boneless wings, mozzarellas sticks, and fries :)
Zey4Oun3TSqDQ9G0BQBRDw.jpg

kqQ5EgqcQ3avZ31ZqMDybQ.jpg

Then we headed to the gate
DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

We actually boarded our plane on time which never happens when we have an evening flight.
We were seated in row 2!
gXNIBO9uRtOU1QjwcTOANA.jpg

New Grumpy Magic Bands
IMG_1550.JPG

Next up: more travel day

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
Living with the Land continued
DSC_0304.JPG

DSC_0305.JPG

fullsizeoutput_4fc7.jpeg

After Living with the Land we checked out one of the new films - Awesome Planet !
We had never seen anything in this theater before (we never saw the old Circle of Life film) and I was surprised by how many stairs there were. It was also huge in there !
You were not allowed to film or take photos but I snuck a few in.
DSC_0310.JPG

IMG_1794D.JPG

IMG_1795D.JPG

IMG_1797D.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

The film was really cute (and sad at times)! I would recommend checking it out.
After this we made our way back over to World Showcase.
Some Festival fun along the way
624411085.jpeg

IMG_1800.JPG

Next up: World Showcase

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
I am surprised by how long the chalk art lasts - the day before it was pouring and it still lasted!
IMG_1801.JPG

We eat lunch at the same spots all the time I swear so naturally we headed back to La Cantina.
I had the beef nachos and my Mom had the kids cheese empanadas (as usual). And of course it was delicious.
IMG_1802.JPG

IMG_1803.JPG

Yum 😋
Lunch views
IMG_1804.JPG

After this we headed to get a few more Festival treats.
We had the almond cake again because it is that delicious.
IMG_1806.JPG

We also had the Blue Sky Black Cherry Boba Freeze
IMG_1805.JPG

This boba drink was much better than the one we had the day before! I wish I had some of that cake and drink right now!
Then we took some photos in the sun
IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

Next up: more Epcot

Last edited:

slipperalwaysfits

Awesome Planet !
We had never seen anything in this theater before (we never saw the old Circle of Life film) and I was surprised by how many stairs there were. It was also huge in there

Ohhhhhhh, I'd love to see this film! We always seem to pass by, maybe this year we will actually make time for it!

Yes, I would have the same treat again if I had the opportunity! In Disney, you just have to take advantage!

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
After our treats we wandered around World Showcase with some fun along the way
624493698.jpeg

624493818.jpeg

624493866.jpeg

I got a Rossini (Prosecco Mousse with Strawberry Sauce) in Italy
IMG_1818.JPG

It was SO good! And it was super nice to sit in the sun and drink it :)
IMG_1828.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

One more PP picture on the way out
624510273.jpeg

Then we walked back to the Yacht Club.
It was actually temperature wise colder than the day before, but the sun felt more intense and actually warm so we decided to relax by the pool for awhile.
IMG_1839.JPG

They were playing trivia which is my favorite pool game to listen to (and pipe in some answers - at least to myself :joyfull: )
IMG_1840.JPG

My Mom insisted we go down the slide because "how often can we swim in January"
It was freezing but we did it!
IMG_1845.JPG

Next up: MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
We never got Mousekeeping this day despite being out of the room until about 4 pm. Oh well - we did at least ask for fresh towels!
We got ready for the evening and hopped on a bus to MK.
I have no idea why, but this whole weekend was packed crowd wise! We especially noticed it this evening in MK. We had to really fight the crowds to get to Fantasyland.
IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

I was able to pick up a FP for IASW so we headed there.
IMG_1854.JPG

DSC_0318.JPG

DSC_0323.JPG

I took this photo to send to my nephew Max because he insists these are not penguins :facepalm::joyfull:. He likes to argue with me in general so that is probably why :hilarious: For example: when I was on FaceTime with him yesterday I said Max you have Steamboat Willie on your shirt. He said NO I DON'T IT'S Mickey MICKEY MOUSE and it kept up for like 5 minutes :joyfull:
fullsizeoutput_4fd7.jpeg

DSC_0330.JPG

DSC_0331.JPG

The dolls at the end were missing again.
DSC_0333.JPG

Next up: more ISAW

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
DSC_0335.JPG

Hey, that's me !
DSC_0338.JPG

It was slim pickings for Fast Passes after this, so we got one for Philharmagic. Boy, was it needed. Every seat in the theatre was filled - I've never seen that before!
IMG_1858.JPG

After this we sat in Liberty Square and people watched until it was our dinner reservation time.
There was someone famous there - we kept seeing people ask for his photo, but my Mom and I had no clue who it was. My guess was a soccer player since he looked like an athlete, but was definitely not big enough to be a pro-bowl NFL player. He looked to be built more like a soccer player :hilarious:
Then we checked in for dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern!
We were told they were running behind, but we got called right away and we were seated at our usual table for two which we totally predicted we would be at!
IMG_1865D.JPG

IMG_1866D.JPG

We were in the John Paul Jones room. All I can think of now when I hear John Paul Jones is the one guy who was on last season of The Bachelorette :joyfull:
IMG_1868D.JPG

Salad and rolls to start
IMG_1869D.JPG

IMG_1870D.JPG

We each got our own plate of food which is what happened last time we sat at a table for two. It is nice and definitely less food wasted this way! Turkey, stuffing, green beans, pork (we skipped this one we never eat that), cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and pot roast.
IMG_1871D.JPG

The Mac and cheese came in a separate bowl.
IMG_1872D.JPG

Next up: more LTT

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
The gravy was on the side as well
IMG_1873D.JPG

I also asked for more pot roast that I definitely did not need, but I am obsessed with it.
IMG_1875D.JPG

Then it was ooey gooey toffee cake time 😋
fullsizeoutput_4fd8.jpeg

Everything was so good!! We love it there!
After this we decided to head out of MK since we had an early DME pickup the next day
IMG_1878.JPG

Bye MK :(
IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1882D.JPG

We did walk around the Boardwalk when we got back to walk off some calories, but I did not take any photos. Sometimes I like to just take it all in. I especially love walking around the Boardwalk at night. We do it often when staying at a Boardwalk resort :)

Day 4 January 26 2020
Not much to say here. We got up at 4:30 am and got ready to head home. We were able to check our luggage which was nice. For some reason my Mom and I sat on opposite sides of the lobby entrance while waiting for the bus :joyfull:
IMG_1887D.JPG

All aboard the Tragical Express
eZ2ylXHYSvqRWyeAyjcqyA.jpg

But we come back in 4 weeks! (not sure what numbers we were trying to make here - I think 27 days :hilarious: )
dEXqZXYMQMOvMtDoIWo0Ug.jpg

voabrxFWTUuwKwuLKUYWtQ.jpg

Thank you for reading! We had a wonderful last minute trip. It also kept our Disney every month streak going too :joyfull: This was our 7th month in a row of going to Disney. This month will be our 8th and sadly the streak will then come to an end!

slipperalwaysfits

There was someone famous there - we kept seeing people ask for his photo, but my Mom and I had no clue who it was. My guess was a soccer player since he looked like an athlete, but was definitely not big enough to be a pro-bowl NFL player. He looked to be built more like a soccer player

It's so hard to figure out who everybody is ooogling. I got lucky and recognized Busy Phillips as she walked by with her VIP guide one day at the Animal Kingdom.

We were in the John Paul Jones room. All I can think of now when I hear John Paul Jones is the one guy who was on last season of The Bachelorette

I watch that show, he was entertaining, to say the least!

Then it was ooey gooey toffee cake time

YUM YUM YUM!!!!!!!!!!!1

We had a wonderful last minute trip. It also kept our Disney every month streak going too :joyfull: This was our 7th month in a row of going to Disney. This month will be our 8th and sadly the streak will then come to an end!

YOU SHOULD make 2021 the year of a Disney trip a month!!

MeeskaMooska0714

There was someone famous there - we kept seeing people ask for his photo, but my Mom and I had no clue who it was. My guess was a soccer player since he looked like an athlete, but was definitely not big enough to be a pro-bowl NFL player. He looked to be built more like a soccer player :hilarious:
I actually think this might have been Kirk Cousins - he's the quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings! My dad sent me a video of him walking down Main Street, and that was on 1/25! :happy:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
HAHAHA!!!! Glad I'm not the only one! :hilarious:

I actually think this might have been Kirk Cousins - he's the quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings! My dad sent me a video of him walking down Main Street, and that was on 1/25! :happy:

I'm also glad that I am not the only one!!!
It was definitely not Kirk Cousins unfortunately. This kid was hispanic and about 5'5" :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom