Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Winter Slump Cure

Hey everyone
We just got back from a very last minute trip to Walt Disney World so I decided to write a trip report because I took enough photos :hilarious:

Who?
Just my Mom and I (Mary and Megan)
560137393.jpeg

When?
A very quick trip - January 23-26, 2020

Why?
A few weeks ago my Mom and I were staring out the window at a restaurant and it was so grey and depressing. All I could think about was sunshine so I convinced my Mom to go down to Florida for a weekend to get some sun :) Our winter so far has not been bad in terms of snow (yet...hopefully not at all) but the lack of sun every single day can get old (the winter slump).

Where?
Not many options when booking very last minute, but we ended up at the Yacht Club again which was great!
z5wrRTCIQu2zL8d0xvT+4Q.jpg

January 23, 2020
My Mom and I both had to work so we had an 8 pm flight. I was very lucky that I got out a little early because there was a major accident on the way home and it took me almost an hour with some weird back roads to get home. Thankfully the airport from where we live is the other direction on the thruway (but not thankfully for my Dad who had to drive back home in it after dropping us off). Anyway - we got to the airport around 6 pm and checked our luggage. There was a guy next to us who was about to pay $75 because his luggage was too heavy. The Southwest employees offered him a duffel bag for $25 which he could check for free. I thought that was nice!
Anyway - thanks to TSA precheck we made it through security in about a minute. The airport was literally dead. They actually had to start running the belt again because they shut it down :hilarious:
We stopped for some dinner at the Anchor Bar
We shared the appetizer sampler - wings, boneless wings, mozzarellas sticks, and fries :)
Zey4Oun3TSqDQ9G0BQBRDw.jpg

kqQ5EgqcQ3avZ31ZqMDybQ.jpg

Then we headed to the gate
DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

We actually boarded our plane on time which never happens when we have an evening flight.
We were seated in row 2!
gXNIBO9uRtOU1QjwcTOANA.jpg

New Grumpy Magic Bands
IMG_1550.JPG

Next up: more travel day

Last edited:

Deborah Proctor

Day 2 continued
My first order of business was to check essentially all the shops that could possibly have the Space Mt Minnie Mouse ears (there were none :cry: ). I'm so bummed that they sold out - I really wanted some!
After all that shopping and not buying anything we decided to wait in line for Dumbo. I think we waited 15 minutes so lots of time for photos.
View attachment 445611
View attachment 445612
View attachment 445613
View attachment 445614
View attachment 445615
View attachment 445616
View attachment 445617
View attachment 445618
View attachment 445619
View attachment 445620

Next up: more MK
I love your reviews! I actually bought a Space Mtn Minnie Magic Band and don't like it. If you are interested, you can message me. dlp62569@comcast.net. If this is not allowed, please let me know. I've never posted on this Board before!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
LOL
, I have to laugh at your Buzz pictures. Did you know that your Mom has that exact same look on all the trip report pictures on Buzz?????
Also, you must know the secrets to Buzz to get that high of a score. I did it once, but don't know how :rolleyes:

HAHA yes I do know she makes the same face. She is always concentrating so hard! I have figured out most of the targets but it also depends on if the gun is working or not :hilarious:

I feel bad for all my friends up north this time of year!
View attachment 446222
Sunny and 72 degrees with no humidity. It’s a hard life down here in February 🤣

:bored: Lucky

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Short trips to get out of the grey are just necessary sometimes! I do love how my hometown of Seattle came in 2nd on the Depressing Winters list. I don't feel depressed there in the Winter, but so many people I know there have Seasonal Affective (sp?) Disorder. It is pretty grey for a VERY long time up there (think, Nov-March).

When we arrive late, we do the same thing. Or go down to the desk after a super-long day in the parks just to ask something/pay off the balance without a giant line. Of course, one year we did this and one time, my hubby's credit card had some random issue and Disney may have accidentally charged it twice (I don't remember, it was 2014), but we were at the desk more than an hour while we called the bank. I think it was after 2 am when we got to bed!

My justifications can be "Stretch" like this, too; but hey, they work!! :geek::geek:

I LOVE Cosmic Rays!! I love dipping my fries in plastic cheese and staring at the Castle--especially when the icicle lights are up!

That takes practice!

It looks like it may be sprinkling/raining because your table is all wet.....the drink and the cake sound AMAZING! I hope you get to HS on time! Yes, I know you have two hours but: crowds and slooooooowww gondolas!

My justifications for trips are always a stretch. My Dad always laughs because my Mom and I will always say "so here's the thing" and he knows we planned a trip and need a ride to the airport :joyfull: We always invite him but he doesn't usually go!
Yes plastic cheese, castle and fries...its a perfect combo!
It was pouring for a few minutes before we got to the Festival that day

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I love your reviews! I actually bought a Space Mtn Minnie Magic Band and don't like it. If you are interested, you can message me. dlp62569@comcast.net. If this is not allowed, please let me know. I've never posted on this Board before!

Thank you ! Thats so sweet of you but my sister got me a Space Mt one :)
Welcome to posting on the boards !!

I love your reports, can't wait to hear the rest, don't you have a YouTube channel?

Yes I do ! It's youtube.com/dodisney

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
We made it to Hollywood Studios and headed right to Galaxy's Edge!
We also headed right to Rise. I am not putting the que photos in the spoiler alert this trip report because there is a fun story involved :)
IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

We knew we were in for a bit of a wait because the line was outside. The last time we were in line we started a few rooms into the que.
IMG_1678D.JPG

IMG_1679D.JPG

A light for you ....
IMG_1681D.JPG

IMG_1682D.JPG

IMG_1683D.JPG

At some point we stopped moving completely. There was really no announcement, but you could tell something was off. Maybe like 10 minutes into us not moving someone said the ride was temporarily down.
So...we all sat down and waited.
IMG_1685.JPG

Then....some CMs came by with snacks. SNACKS!!!! :joyfull: It was hilarious. I was like ahh --- how long are we going to be stuck for?
We got chips, but they were also handing out popcorn and bananas.
IMG_1688.JPG

My guess is that it is easier to hand out snacks than fast passes for a return. While we were in line I realized that we were in the second to last boarding group of the day (they only went up to 142).

Next up: Rise continued

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
We also got water :hilarious:
IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

We Facetimed my sister Jill while we were waiting and she was in hysterics !
I took some poor quality photos while we waited.
DSC_0242.JPG

DSC_0245.JPG

In the end we only waited 30 minutes and we were pretty close to the start of the ride.
I did not take a ton of photos this time around, but I will still put them in a spoiler.

Pre show area:
IMG_1698D.JPG

IMG_1701D.JPG

Since you go outside it really felt like a whole different experience at night!
IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

Next up: more Rise

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued

Some more pre-show/start of the ride:
IMG_1708D.JPG

IMG_1711D.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

DSC_0250.JPG

DSC_0255.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

We loved the attraction again! There were a lot more details that we did not see the last time we were on it! This time, too, the Cast Members inside must have had to delay because they spent a lot of time with us and they were SO in character. It was amazing !

Next up: more HS

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
We got in line just in time because it got super crowded, but we only waited 10 minutes
DSC_0262.JPG

After this we headed over to our dinner at ... Mama Melrose's! We were originally supposed to have dinner in Epcot but thankfully canceled this. Since we were stuck in Rise we would have missed it anyway! Our reservation at Mama's was for 7:45 and we were starving....so naturally we waited 15 minutes to be seated :)
IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

Bread to start
IMG_1743D.JPG

IMG_1744D.JPG

I felt bad for our waitress because the table next to use was really tough. They had a lot of questions, requests, complaints :bored:
Anyway...my Mom ordered the spaghetti and one meatball. She asked for one meatball since she only eats one and they gave her a hard time about it. The waitress was like "You will have to still pay the same price" and my Mom was like thats fine I just don't want to waste food. :facepalm:
IMG_1745D.JPG

And I of course had the strip steak with the Mac and cheese :)
IMG_1746D.JPG

YUM! Everything was great! We usually don't eat this late, but it was nice to relax after a very fun filled day!
The park closed at 8 so we were looking forward to a nice quiet stroll out.
IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

And we did have a quiet walk out ....UNTIL we ran into the Fantasmic mass exodus :hilarious:
Anyway - we decided to walk home to walk off some of the calories!
IMG_1753.JPG

Then it was off to bed!

Next up: Day 3

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I totally get your mom’s take on not wasting food - I often do the same and get the same sort of answer. I’m surprised that restaurants staff don’t feel guilty about the quantity of uneaten food. It’s one thing if you are at a restaurant where you live and can take it home, but when you are on vacation that isn‘t always practical. I am pleased to see more and more buffets with warnings that you will be charged for taking more food than you can eat.

Matt and Kelly

We were also stuck in the line when Rise broke down. I think we waited from start to finish about 2 hours. They weren’t letting people out of the line once you were inside. We were over a hour late for our dinner reservation 😥

slipperalwaysfits

We also got water
I love how they do the products tailored to a specific land! :jawdrop:

We loved the attraction again! There were a lot more details that we did not see the last time we were on it! This time, too, the Cast Members inside must have had to delay because they spent a lot of time with us and they were SO in character. It was amazing !

There are so many details on rides that are easy to miss when you're so excited to ride the first or second time. That's why it's always fun to go back, enjoy the ride experience and really take in what you are seeing! Sorry about the wait, but glad the CMs were so helpful and friendly. YAY SNACKS!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop:

...UNTIL we ran into the Fantasmic mass exodus
See, I would complain about this, too but half the time, I'm part of that mass exodus problem...

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I totally get your mom’s take on not wasting food - I often do the same and get the same sort of answer. I’m surprised that restaurants staff don’t feel guilty about the quantity of uneaten food. It’s one thing if you are at a restaurant where you live and can take it home, but when you are on vacation that isn‘t always practical. I am pleased to see more and more buffets with warnings that you will be charged for taking more food than you can eat.

We always feel so bad about wasting food - thats why we usually share! You would think the would feel bad too

We were also stuck in the line when Rise broke down. I think we waited from start to finish about 2 hours. They weren’t letting people out of the line once you were inside. We were over a hour late for our dinner reservation 😥

I am not sure if we would have been able to leave because thankfully we were not in there that long. Thats a very long time!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I love how they do the products tailored to a specific land! :jawdrop:

There are so many details on rides that are easy to miss when you're so excited to ride the first or second time. That's why it's always fun to go back, enjoy the ride experience and really take in what you are seeing! Sorry about the wait, but glad the CMs were so helpful and friendly. YAY SNACKS!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop:

See, I would complain about this, too but half the time, I'm part of that mass exodus problem...

Thankfully we were walking home otherwise I would have been more upset about the exodus :hilarious:. I think its cool how they tailor the products too!

Mmmm that frangipane cake 😍 I forgot how good that was!!

SOOO good. You will have to get some!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
January 25, 2020 Day 3
We were originally planning on getting up early to get a Rise Boarding Pass, but since we we got on it the night before we were happy to sleep in a little. So...we got up at 7:30, got ready then headed to The Market for some breakfast.
My Mom had a chocolate twist again so I did not take another picture.
I had a chocolate chip muffin
IMG_1756D.JPG

We originally had FPs at Hollywood Studios, but I was able to change them to Epcot instead.
We strolled over to Epcot after breakfast and we made it in time for RD.
DSC_0264.JPG

They had us all the way up in Canada instead of at the bridge so that was nice.
DSC_0266.JPG

We planned on Rope Dropping Test Track, but I forgot it was closed for refurb so we figured we might as well do Frozen.
DSC_0268.JPG

DSC_0275.JPG

You can not see me, but you can see my Mom :joyfull:
624313096.jpeg

We waited about 5 minutes, but when we got off the line was well over an hour :oops:
Anyway, after this we headed over towards Spaceship Earth. We walked by Minnie on the way with a very short wait so why not say hi?
624318094.jpeg

Cute little Festival of the Arts sign
IMG_1764.JPG

Then we walked and walked and walked around walls to get to Spaceship Earth :hilarious:
IMG_1767D.JPG

If you can't tell from our hair it was super windy this day.
IMG_1768.JPG

Next up: more Epcot

PacNWTigger

Well Megan, I beat you by 1 rank in the dreariest winter city in the US.

View attachment 445512

6. Grand Rapids, Michigan

Grand Rapids owes its high placement on this list to the proximity of Lake Michigan, which lies about 30 miles to the west. Lake-effect clouds keep the Furniture City gray during the winter, contributing to its measly 29% sunshine rate from November to February. That’s the second-lowest rate of any city in our study, tied with Portland, Oregon.

7. Buffalo, New York

The gloomiest winters on the East Coast are in Buffalo. Like Grand Rapids, Buffalo suffers from lake-effect cloud cover and lake-effect snow off of a Great Lake—in this case, Lake Erie. Occasionally winds off of Lake Erie can dump several feet of snow on Buffalo over the course of just days, as happened most recently in November 2014.
Now I'm sad...my city is #3 on the list. :oops: Technically I live right between #2 & #3, so maybe I'm at #2.5?
giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom