Trip Report **COMPLETED!** The Triple Threat Trip Report- Christmas and New Years at the Happiest Place on Earth

Ah, where do I start? It’s hard to believe that three weeks ago my family and I had just started our fantastic Christmas Vacation. Now, I am bracing myself for one of the coldest winters in 30 years. It’s amazing how much a difference of a thousand miles makes! Anyway, on to my trip report!

For a future warning, I apologize for any grammar mistakes, lagging in the report, and so forth. It has been over two years since I have actually written a trip report and quite frankly, I have missed it!

You can read my pre trip report here:http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-triple-threat-pre-trip-report.877490/#post-5824484

Also, if you’d like to know me more, you can read my last trip report, circa summer 2011: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...hot-days-fun-times-and-plenty-of-food.762909/

Let me reintroduce my family and myself:

Top: Left: My sister, Jodi. Right: Me, Jessica
Bottom: My parents

Okay, now that you all know my cast, I'll get this "show" started!

The term triple-threat comes from the fact that our vacation was actually three vacations in one. The plan was to stay in the Sarasota area of Florida for a little over a week, go on a quick, three day, bahamian can cruise, and spend the remaining days (about 12) in Disney.

We left for Florida on Friday, December 13. Just a few days before we left, I came to the realization of the date that we were leaving on! I am a firm believer of this day being unlucky for a number of reason but this belief was proven true on the day we left...

I work at a school for a couple hours a day monitoring students during their lunch and recess periods, so we planned on leaving right after I got out of work. Well, that did not happen. The morning we were to depart, I woke up with, what felt like, a golf ball sized lump in my throat. I almost decided to suck it up and just go to work, but since my job requires me to talk, I made the difficult decision to call off and go to the emergency clinic. I am soooo glad I did! I ended up testing positive for strep throat, and I could have made it worse by going to work and not treating it. This was just my luck with Friday, the 13th. To add to our bad luck, my mom was down with a "bug," too. My sister, Jodi, was getting over being sick, and my dad was coming down with something, as well. This is one of the reasons why I am not fond of traveling in the winter due to everyone being sick and all, but my family is never able to get this kind of time off during any other season.

Anyway, we still ended up leaving on that day. We had no other choice. Since we were driving and pulling a camper, we had to due to a snowstorm that was going to hit our hometwon, Chicago, the next day. But, we still caught the darn thing that day. The snowstorm ended up being an entire front that stretched from northern Florida to Illinois. The snow turned into a down poor as we hit the South. In all, it was on of the worse 'drive-downs' we have ever had. It took us 28 hours to get to Sarasota, FL rather than usually taking 18 hours. Moral of this story: Never start your vacation on Friday, the 13th!

Here are some photos of the day we arrived. I won't bore you all with the first two parts of the vacation since they are not Disney related, but I will show you some of our photos on the way down and such!

On our second day of driving, I was feeling a bit better after loading up on Motrin and taking my required antibiotics. We were extremely hungry after our several hour pit stop at the rest stop, so we ate at a Waffle House somewhere in Georgia. A Waffle House stop is always a must on our way down to Florida since it is one of my favorite:

Mmmmm Waffle House Food

My mom obviously enjoyed her meal, haha

We arrived in Sarasota about 9 at night and stayed at the Myakka State Park for the night. Our campground was booked for the Saturday night, so staying at Myakka was a last minute decision. We then headed over to Fort De Soto Campground, where we stayed until the following Sunday, December 22. That Sunday was crazy! We had to leave the campground and head over to Disney to drop our pets off at Best Friends for the cruise. In addition, Disney was so kind enough to let us park our camper for free in the parking lot at Fort Wilderness until we checked in, which saved us a big chunk of money.

The sign! Jodi and I were kind of bummed that we had to leave Disney, and we weren't even excited to go on the cruise. In all, we had an awesome time on the cruise, and it was extremely relaxing, but we couldn't wait to get back to our animals and spend the rest of our vacation at the happiest place on earth.

Next: Our Disney arrival and my review on Best Friends since it was our first time ever boarding our pets!

tor29c

Which non-disney phone apps do you recommend for checking wait times? Thaks for this great report! We're going to be there at the next crazy busy time (the week before Easter) so I'm finding this report most helpful!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Sitting under a bunch of blankets and sipping on some hot cocoa and then, I read that it's going to be 84 degrees on Friday at the world. Does anyone know where I am getting with this? I am homesick!

Day 4, Dec. 26: A 'chill' day at Downtown Disney

I don't know if it was because I was still getting over strep throat or the fact that I had been doing so much, but I slept in... again. Heyyyy, I'm on vacation, though! So, I guess I have an excuse.

Well, I guess I don't have much to say about day 4. We ended up going to Sam's Club, and my dad treated us to lunch there because that's his favorite place to eat. I mean, he thinks Sam's club is a great place to go on a date with my mom. Go grocery shopping and eat a slice of pizza, sooooo romantic. I hope you all are sensing my sarcasm.

After Sam's, my dad dropped us off at Downtown Disney, but he couldn't find anywhere to pull in and drop us off because of the construction. Well, I just said, "What the heck, let's jump out of the truck at one of the intersections!" My mom was entirely against this because she's like an extremely protective mom, but Jodi and I did it anyway because we did not want to waist our day trying to avoid the construction. I ended up jumping out and I guess because I was sitting on my leg, it fell asleep. Well, I didn't notice this until I jumped out of the truck and practically collapsed because my entire leg was numb! It was hilarious because I just kept limping, but we made it to Downtown Disney, and my leg "woke up"

I took all of the picture with my iPone because I forgot my fancy DSLR because of the Sam's Club visit.
IMG_5159.jpg

I got extremely excited about find out how DTD will be recieving TWO Starbucks. I can get a coffee when I get to DTD and on my way out.:D:D
IMG_5162.JPG

IMG_5165.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

I'm surprised they still have this sign.
IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_5186.JPG

So, this was my first time actually experiencing the West Side. I've only been there once, which is really weird, but I liked it! Loved the shops, and Jodi bought some cute clothes and Wet Seal. I'll be sure to visit it more often.

This was basically our day in a nutshell, which isn't quite exciting, but it is a day in Disney.

We took a break on eating out and just ate at our campsite and chilled.

Next up: A day at the Magic Kingdom, and are we desperate enough to wait two hours to dine at Chef Mickey's...

Disneygal1

Original Poster
You make me wanna go to Trails End.. right now!! Mmmmmmmm

Ahh, yes! One of my favorite restaurants. Their buffet is sold and never disappoints.

Which non-disney phone apps do you recommend for checking wait times? Thaks for this great report! We're going to be there at the next crazy busy time (the week before Easter) so I'm finding this report most helpful!

Ooo, great question! I've used several of the same apps for five years, and they are still great apps. My Disney Experience is a good app, but it still has several issues, such as lagging and whatnot. I found myself getting frustrated when trying to find out wait times on it, so I just used an app called, "WDW Waits." This one isn't as accurate as My Disney Experience, but it loads much faster, and is relatively close to the actual wait times. I also like one that's called, "Park Hours." I don't know why it doesn't having WDW in the title, but it is strictly for WDW, and it loads real fast. Plus, it's user friendly. For dining, I use "WDW Dining." This app loads fast and is really easy to use. Also, it has the menu of all of the restaurants at the world and prices, which I have found to be extremely helpful. Lastly, I love "WDW Secrets." This app is great for just running around the parks and resorts to look for some classic Disney quirks, such as the hidden phones, hidden mickeys, etc.

I loved My Disney Experience, but it's not as user friendly as these apps, but it has great potential. I think it's going to take Disney some time to perfect it.

And you are welcome, thank you for reading! Easter is just about as crazy as Christmas, so I have heard. I'm trying to go around that time, though, to visit my friend while they are doing the college program. I'm glad this report is helpful for you!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Day 5, Dec. 27: A Day at the Magic Kingdom

We woke a bit early for MK since we had to re-check in due to the whole 8 reservations combined into one vacation situation, but it didn't take long at all.

DSC_0346.JPG

Jodi and my dad were racing to get into the lobby
DSC_0348.JPG

While we were checking in, I took some pictures of FW's lobby because it's adorable, and I love it during Christmastime.
DSC_0350.JPG

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0353.JPG

DSC_0361.JPG

DSC_0362.JPG

After I was done with my photo shoot, I looked up, and my family WAS GONE. It was pretty awkward, and I found them outside where we parked our golf cart. Like, way to go, guys. They get so impatient while I take pictures and never wait up for me that I may just abandon them... Lol, just kidding but really...

We drove our golf cart to FW's dock and hopped on the boat, which takes you directly to MK.
DSC_0368.JPG

On our way to MK, the castle began to show up in sight, and I turned around to look at my mom...
DSC_0372.JPG

Crying. She is so emotional and Disney obsessed! I mean, I'm Disney obsessed too, but I don't cry. My dad, sister, and I were all laughing. It was pretty funny.

She got more emotional once we entered the park...
DSC_0381.JPG

Disneygal1

Original Poster
As we got into the park, I ran into a friend of mine. I knew that she would be in Disney while I was, but I was so surprised to see her since the park was extremely crowded. What a coincidence!

I decided I wanted a picture of our family in front of the castle, so I asked a cast member to take a picture of us. He was so awkward about it because my mom was crying tears of joy. It was hilarious. He even took a magical picture of my mom having Tinker Bell in her hands. I haven't bought the picture, yet...
DSC_0384.JPG

DSC_0386.JPG

DSC_0392.JPG

We decided to head over to the new Fantasyland since we had never been there before.
DSC_0396.JPG

For some reason, my dad wanted a picture in front of the concept art for the Mine Train ride...
DSC_0398.JPG

Ariel's Undersea Adventure was only a 20 minute wait, so we went on it. As we were entering the line, the cast member directed us to go in the line that a large family was entering in front of us. I think he thought we were part of the family because the line ended up being the fastpass line, which we had no idea it was. The cast member would not let us go on it and made us turn around! It was really odd, but I guess it made sense but then again, this was not our fault.
DSC_0401.JPG

I ended up loving the ride, though! It reminded me of how the old-time rides were, such as the missed Snow White's Adventure.

Jodi and my dad had fast pass reservations for Splash Mountain, so my mom and I headed over to get a Starbucks, at Disney, for the first time.
DSC_0405.JPG

DSC_0406.JPG

DSC_0411.JPG

Right when we got our drinks, Jodi and my Dad met us at Starbucks.
DSC_0416.JPG

PartOfYourWorld

Tuned in for this one! Plus you have an awesome name ;) because we share it!

Your pets are adorable :) And I mean come on they get to go to Disney!

I have never read a trip report where someone was staying in a camper at Fort Wilderness! Seems like it would be really fun! And to have your own golf cart to drive around tooo!!!!!

I love how you disneyfied your camper too!

I think it's so cute that your mom teared up seeing the castle! I always do for the first time walking up Main Street each trip! So she isn't the only one!

Isn't starbucks in the parks awesome? I love it too!!

Can't wait to read more!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Tuned in for this one! Plus you have an awesome name ;) because we share it!

Your pets are adorable :) And I mean come on they get to go to Disney!

I have never read a trip report where someone was staying in a camper at Fort Wilderness! Seems like it would be really fun! And to have your own golf cart to drive around tooo!!!!!

I love how you disneyfied your camper too!

I think it's so cute that your mom teared up seeing the castle! I always do for the first time walking up Main Street each trip! So she isn't the only one!

Isn't starbucks in the parks awesome? I love it too!!

Can't wait to read more!

Hello there, fellow Jessica!

Thank you! We are so lucky that we can bring them on vacation with us. Plus, they surprisingly love to travel.

Ooo, I am so glad you found this report! Camping at Fort Wilderness is a blast. It's a great alternative for those who want to stay in Disney, but not pay Disney hotel prices. You can basically tent there for around 50 bucks a night. Stay tuned for more pics of the campground!

Haha, yes! She does this about every time we get to MK. While I do think she can be wacky, her crying is just a mere piece of evidence as to how much the Disney magic can "move" adults!

I'm addicted to Disney Starbucks. I mean, I don't think I can go to any other Starbucks other than one in Disney now...

Thanks for reading!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
I'm baaaack... after a grueling week of college coursework, I might as well take a break.

You can never have too many Starbucks pictures.
DSC_0418.JPG

My dad insisted on heading over to the Haunted Mansion since the line is never long. My mom, Jodi, and I made my dad go through the "interactive" part of the line since he had never seen it.

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0421.JPG

DSC_0423.JPG

DSC_0425.JPG

My dad's only commentary about the queue was how all of the interactive "things" were full of germs... He's so positive. It doesn't even bother me, especially since I work in a school with hundreds of children, so I'm pretty much exposed to more germs on a daily basis than the average person.

DSC_0432.JPG

After the Haunted Mansion, we split up because Jodi and my Dad had FastPass+ for Space Mountain and unfortunately, my mom can't go on it because she has a bad back. But... I kind of like this since I'm not a roller coaster fan so-to-speak.

DSC_0438.JPG

We walked around and then headed over to the Ye Old Christmas Shop to do some shopping...
DSC_0442.JPG

I'm kind of mad that I didn't buy this ornament.
DSC_0443.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0441.JPG
    DSC_0441.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Great report so far! I saw that ornament online and was trying to decide if I liked it. I think, after seeing it close up like that, that I may have to get one in June! Is that a Chamilia bracelet I see? My mom got me the Minnie Mouse toggle bracelet for Christmas and I love it! I can't wait to get one (or more) of the DCL charms in June! Can't wait to read more!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
While we were browsing, Jodi and my dad ended up comping back over to the Liberty Square to meet up with us.

DSC_0444.jpg

Before we left the shop, a cast member congratulated my mom for her anniversary since we were somewhat celebrating it. We really weren't, but it was a couple weeks prior and we decided to put it on our reservations, and my parents both got pins for it.

The cast member offered to make it 'special,' so she of course said yes!

Here is the final project. She absolutely loved it!
DSC_0450.JPG

We then went over to Pirates. I'm not sure if we had a fast pass, but I'm pretty sure we did...

DSC_0454.JPG

I never realized how creepy the shadows are!
DSC_0459.JPG

Pirate always seems to get back up at the end. I'm not sure if it was because of the season, but we were on there for a good extra 10 minutes. But hey, it's Disney, so I guess I really didn't mind.

We then messed around in the store for a while. This is my dad's favorite store. Can't you tell?
DSC_0460.JPG

Okay, so there is a little story behind this picture. For some reason, the flash reflected off of my tongue in way that it made me look like I had a tongue ring. We could not stop laughing when we were looking at this picture.
DSC_0462.JPG

I got into the pirate "spirit."
DSC_0463.jpg

This is how we feel about each other. We're a pretty messed up family...
DSC_0467.jpg

Soon after, my parents were starving, so we headed over to their favorite quick service restaurant, Peco Bill's.

Jodi and I shared a taco salad because we were secretly planning on going to Chef Mickey's for dinner.
DSC_0468.JPG

Food makes him tired.
DSC_0470.JPG

jlsHouston

dsc_0398-jpg.43048

I'm wondering about these shoes your mom is wearing in this pic....you got a close up pic of these shoes ? I think I want a pair.

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Ohhh, and I have a funny story. So, as we were waiting for our food at the counter, I guess my mom was like STARVING because she saw someone's food being placed next to our tray, and she TOOK a fry! I did not witness this happen, but like the guy totally caught her, and I guess it was hilarious because he was like, "Hey, you owe me a fry!" Long story short, when we were taking our food to the table, we passed the guy, and he took a couple of our fries and was like, "Now we're even." It was hilarious, and he was pretty cool about it, but my sister and I we're mind boggled that she did this, regardless. I mean, excuse my french but damn, she must have been real hungry, haha.

She looks extremely happy...
DSC_0472.JPG

DSC_0471.JPG

DSC_0477.JPG

We walked around a bit and then went on the Carousal of Progress. After the ride, for some reason, I was extremely tired and so was my dad. My dad planned on leaving early anyway because he wanted to walk the dog, so I went back to the campsite with him to rest, get changed, and meet back up with my mom and Jodi.

DSC_0489.JPG

I only hung around the camper for an hour or so, but I ended up getting back to MK two hours later because the boats were extremely backed up. I think they only had two running. It was insane!

Once I got back to MK, Jodi and my mom were waiting up for me on Main Street. Jodi was feeling like I did earlier, so she went back to the campsite to change into something warmer since it was getting cooler.

DSC_0491.JPG

DSC_0495 - Version 2.JPG

My mom and I did some shopping, as usual. We went to the Emporium, which was insanely crowded and led us to the bakery.

The bakery is sooooooo tempting that I wanted to buy this...
DSC_0496.JPG

Ohh, and my mom wanted this hat.
DSC_0499.jpg

I, of course, had to find the Gossip Phone! My mom caught me off guard, and I look pretty out of it.
DSC_0501.jpg

DSC_0505.JPG

Last edited:

Disneygal1

Original Poster
dsc_0398-jpg.43048

I'm wondering about these shoes your mom is wearing in this pic....you got a close up pic of these shoes ? I think I want a pair.

Best. Shoes. Ever. They are the Mickey Crocs! They are so comfy that we all have a pair, except for my dad, haha.

You can find these all over WDW. The Grand Floridian's "fancy" shop probably has the biggest stock of them.

jlsHouston

Best. Shoes. Ever. They are the Mickey Crocs! They are so comfy that we all have a pair, except for my dad, haha.

You can find these all over WDW. The Grand Floridian's "fancy" shop probably has the biggest stock of them.

ahhh I can't believe I missed them !! I've got to get a couple of pairs with the mickey on it!!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Great report so far! I saw that ornament online and was trying to decide if I liked it. I think, after seeing it close up like that, that I may have to get one in June! Is that a Chamilia bracelet I see? My mom got me the Minnie Mouse toggle bracelet for Christmas and I love it! I can't wait to get one (or more) of the DCL charms in June! Can't wait to read more!

I was like that, too! I really regret not buying it. I'm totally digging its retro "vibe." Oh, and yes, that is a Chamilia bracelet! My mom became OBSESSED with buying charms once she bought it. She likes it better than Pandora since its Disney and made in the US. Disney has the most adorable charms for it. I wonder if DCL has any indigenous charms... Thanks for reading!

TheMouseFan

I was like that, too! I really regret not buying it. I'm totally digging its retro "vibe." Oh, and yes, that is a Chamilia bracelet! My mom became OBSESSED with buying charms once she bought it. She likes it better than Pandora since its Disney and made in the US. Disney has the most adorable charms for it. I wonder if DCL has any indigenous charms... Thanks for reading!
I have seen two different official DCL charms online. I really don't need to spend that much money on charms, buuuut, we all know how that goes!! I'm sure I will end up with both of they have them!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom