Trip Report **COMPLETED!** The Triple Threat Trip Report- Christmas and New Years at the Happiest Place on Earth

Ah, where do I start? It’s hard to believe that three weeks ago my family and I had just started our fantastic Christmas Vacation. Now, I am bracing myself for one of the coldest winters in 30 years. It’s amazing how much a difference of a thousand miles makes! Anyway, on to my trip report!

For a future warning, I apologize for any grammar mistakes, lagging in the report, and so forth. It has been over two years since I have actually written a trip report and quite frankly, I have missed it!

You can read my pre trip report here:http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-triple-threat-pre-trip-report.877490/#post-5824484

Also, if you’d like to know me more, you can read my last trip report, circa summer 2011: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...hot-days-fun-times-and-plenty-of-food.762909/

Let me reintroduce my family and myself:

Top: Left: My sister, Jodi. Right: Me, Jessica
Bottom: My parents

Okay, now that you all know my cast, I'll get this "show" started!

The term triple-threat comes from the fact that our vacation was actually three vacations in one. The plan was to stay in the Sarasota area of Florida for a little over a week, go on a quick, three day, bahamian can cruise, and spend the remaining days (about 12) in Disney.

We left for Florida on Friday, December 13. Just a few days before we left, I came to the realization of the date that we were leaving on! I am a firm believer of this day being unlucky for a number of reason but this belief was proven true on the day we left...

I work at a school for a couple hours a day monitoring students during their lunch and recess periods, so we planned on leaving right after I got out of work. Well, that did not happen. The morning we were to depart, I woke up with, what felt like, a golf ball sized lump in my throat. I almost decided to suck it up and just go to work, but since my job requires me to talk, I made the difficult decision to call off and go to the emergency clinic. I am soooo glad I did! I ended up testing positive for strep throat, and I could have made it worse by going to work and not treating it. This was just my luck with Friday, the 13th. To add to our bad luck, my mom was down with a "bug," too. My sister, Jodi, was getting over being sick, and my dad was coming down with something, as well. This is one of the reasons why I am not fond of traveling in the winter due to everyone being sick and all, but my family is never able to get this kind of time off during any other season.

Anyway, we still ended up leaving on that day. We had no other choice. Since we were driving and pulling a camper, we had to due to a snowstorm that was going to hit our hometwon, Chicago, the next day. But, we still caught the darn thing that day. The snowstorm ended up being an entire front that stretched from northern Florida to Illinois. The snow turned into a down poor as we hit the South. In all, it was on of the worse 'drive-downs' we have ever had. It took us 28 hours to get to Sarasota, FL rather than usually taking 18 hours. Moral of this story: Never start your vacation on Friday, the 13th!

Here are some photos of the day we arrived. I won't bore you all with the first two parts of the vacation since they are not Disney related, but I will show you some of our photos on the way down and such!

On our second day of driving, I was feeling a bit better after loading up on Motrin and taking my required antibiotics. We were extremely hungry after our several hour pit stop at the rest stop, so we ate at a Waffle House somewhere in Georgia. A Waffle House stop is always a must on our way down to Florida since it is one of my favorite:

Mmmmm Waffle House Food

My mom obviously enjoyed her meal, haha

We arrived in Sarasota about 9 at night and stayed at the Myakka State Park for the night. Our campground was booked for the Saturday night, so staying at Myakka was a last minute decision. We then headed over to Fort De Soto Campground, where we stayed until the following Sunday, December 22. That Sunday was crazy! We had to leave the campground and head over to Disney to drop our pets off at Best Friends for the cruise. In addition, Disney was so kind enough to let us park our camper for free in the parking lot at Fort Wilderness until we checked in, which saved us a big chunk of money.

The sign! Jodi and I were kind of bummed that we had to leave Disney, and we weren't even excited to go on the cruise. In all, we had an awesome time on the cruise, and it was extremely relaxing, but we couldn't wait to get back to our animals and spend the rest of our vacation at the happiest place on earth.

Next: Our Disney arrival and my review on Best Friends since it was our first time ever boarding our pets!

prfctlyximprct

I'm so sad your trip report is over!!! I love your family and I don't even know you!! Haha.. But in all seriousness your ending pictures made me teary eyed. I love the balloon pictures, it truly shows what the Disney magic is all about. Deep down inside of everybody is that inner child, Disney just allows us to acknowledge this! Hope you get to go again soon. I loved your report :)

Disneygal1

Original Poster
I'm so sad your trip report is over!!! I love your family and I don't even know you!! Haha.. But in all seriousness your ending pictures made me teary eyed. I love the balloon pictures, it truly shows what the Disney magic is all about. Deep down inside of everybody is that inner child, Disney just allows us to acknowledge this! Hope you get to go again soon. I loved your report :)

Aww, thank you!! You are too kind. :) Isn't Disney magic just the best? Seriously, I can't think of a better place to be with my loved ones. I hope so too about going again! Actually, I'm starting to somewhat plan a college graduation celebration, so I hope it works out!

Thanks so much for reading!

dancingtodisney

Awww, thank you! :)

Don't worry about Whispering Canyon. Like I said, I've been there many times before and never had a problem, so I'm sure to was an off day. I have to keep reminding myself that it was NYE, so I think I will try it again...

Thank you about my pictures! Isn't that spot just ah-mazing? I seriously could hang out there all day and people watch.

Book it! Or at least put it on your must try list! The Wave is good and its food is comparable to The California Grill.

Thanks for reading :)

Ok great I’ll keep it on our list!

It’s such a great spot! You get a great view of main street as well as the castle…. That’s the view that gives me goosebumps!

We’ve got so many places to fit in! We have booked California Grill so we can watch the fireworks from their and sample the food. We don’t plan on having a full meal there as it’s a bit outside of our budget!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Ok great I’ll keep it on our list!

It’s such a great spot! You get a great view of main street as well as the castle…. That’s the view that gives me goosebumps!

We’ve got so many places to fit in! We have booked California Grill so we can watch the fireworks from their and sample the food. We don’t plan on having a full meal there as it’s a bit outside of our budget!

Ahh,we have done the California Grill during the fireworks and let me tell you, you will not be disappointed! Sampling the food will be just like having the entrees but at a deal, which is always good!

acrab3t

Thank you for completing your TR! I had started reading it when you first started and was excited to see you had completed it! I know school gets busy so I hope you are enjoying your summer.

LisaBelle

Loved your trip report! It helped me pass the time while I countdown to our trip. We will be there in just over a month!!! I really want to visit Disney for the holidays. Maybe one day it will happen. Thanks for sharing your fun with all of us!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Thank you for completing your TR! I had started reading it when you first started and was excited to see you had completed it! I know school gets busy so I hope you are enjoying your summer.

You are welcome! ...and thank you for the kind comments and reading it! I was so bummed to put this TR on hold, but I'm happy that it is finally complete :)

Loved your trip report! It helped me pass the time while I countdown to our trip. We will be there in just over a month!!! I really want to visit Disney for the holidays. Maybe one day it will happen. Thanks for sharing your fun with all of us!

Thank you! :) How exciting!! I personally would much rather be in WDW during the summer months. I'm very tolerable of hot weather, and I also love the fact that all of the plants and such are alive. It just seems much more vibrant in the summer if that makes sense, but Disney for the holiday is a must, too! Hopefully, you will be able to experience it! Thanks again for reading!

dancingtodisney

Ahh,we have done the California Grill during the fireworks and let me tell you, you will not be disappointed! Sampling the food will be just like having the entrees but at a deal, which is always good!

Eeeeeek can't wait! I LOVE the sweatshirt you have on in your profile pic...

Disneygal1

Original Poster
We have Forever 21 over here in Ireland but there is always a better selection in America and better prices too! Have you any idea when you'll next be returning to WDW?

Ah, that stinks! Maybe online? I'm hoping for a WDW vacation next summer. I will be graduating college in May, so I'm thinking a graduation celebration... I really hope it works out!

dancingtodisney

Ah, that stinks! Maybe online? I'm hoping for a WDW vacation next summer. I will be graduating college in May, so I'm thinking a graduation celebration... I really hope it works out!

Ye the stores are still pretty decent over here but we’ve noticed a big difference in price. We can’t order from the online US Store we have to order from the European one.

Oh that would be nice, a really good way to celebrate. We weren’t planning on coming back this year at all, it’s our first time to ever do two Disney holidays a year after each other but I really wanted to do a RunDisney event and my sister is 21 this year so we had enough excuses to justify it

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Ye the stores are still pretty decent over here but we’ve noticed a big difference in price. We can’t order from the online US Store we have to order from the European one.

Oh that would be nice, a really good way to celebrate. We weren’t planning on coming back this year at all, it’s our first time to ever do two Disney holidays a year after each other but I really wanted to do a RunDisney event and my sister is 21 this year so we had enough excuses to justify it

That's too bad about the Forever 21 situation. H&M use to be like that for the US, but they've gotten better.

You guys will have a blast again! I'm starting to read your TR, and it's really good. A 21st b-day celebration would be awesome. I would totally hang out at Epcot and try all of the cultural drinks!

dancingtodisney

That's too bad about the Forever 21 situation. H&M use to be like that for the US, but they've gotten better.

You guys will have a blast again! I'm starting to read your TR, and it's really good. A 21st b-day celebration would be awesome. I would totally hang out at Epcot and try all of the cultural drinks!

When Forever 21 came into Ireland original the style that they were selling was absolutely horrible but over the years they've gotten a lot better too!

Eeeeeeek I hope so! Aw thanks! It's taken me AGES I really need to try finish it soon! It'll be nice for my sister to be able to drink for once (legal age over here is 18 so it's weird going away and having her be 'under age') and yes I definitely think Epcot will be a good place to try a few! Any recommendations? I've had the Grand Marnier Slushie, a Kirin in Japan and some orange tequila drink in Mexico so far!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful vacation. I loved your trip report. Makes me so excited to go back and now I can't wait for my upcoming trips there. We're planning our first Christmas vacation there and will be staying at the Fort Wilderness Campground as well.

Disneygal1

Original Poster
When Forever 21 came into Ireland original the style that they were selling was absolutely horrible but over the years they've gotten a lot better too!

Eeeeeeek I hope so! Aw thanks! It's taken me AGES I really need to try finish it soon! It'll be nice for my sister to be able to drink for once (legal age over here is 18 so it's weird going away and having her be 'under age') and yes I definitely think Epcot will be a good place to try a few! Any recommendations? I've had the Grand Marnier Slushie, a Kirin in Japan and some orange tequila drink in Mexico so far!

Ahh, anywhere in Epcot really! I've always wanted to try the pub. Each country has a good selection of beverages that are indigenous to their nationality, which is always fun. I also heard that the Polynesian's bar is really good. You guys must all get the pineapple drinks!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful vacation. I loved your trip report. Makes me so excited to go back and now I can't wait for my upcoming trips there. We're planning our first Christmas vacation there and will be staying at the Fort Wilderness Campground as well.

Thank you for such a kind compliment! How exciting that you're going to FW during Christmastime! I swear, that is one of the best resorts to stay at during that time of the year. Plus, the bugs aren't too bad, either, compared to the other season. You must go "looping" and check out all of the campsites' decorations. You will have a blast!

ArtieJim

Awesome TR, after waiting so long for you to finish it I waited another two weeks to read the last post. Christmas in WDW is the best!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom