Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Tale of the Three Backpacks

Hi all! As I am fighting through Disney depression I figured I would start my TR to see if it helps...:inlove:

Who?
The usual....my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_406381236239.JPG

When?
January 17 - January 21, 2018 - originally it was supposed to be the 18th - 21st but the vacation creep hit us :inlove:

Where?
Originally we planned on staying at Pop Century but my sleep deprived self changed to the Grand Floridian while at the airport going home from our last trip :joyfull: We fell in love with it last trip and I found a decent rate so we switched. Also I am neurotic and was worried about staying at a value with all the kids during the peak of flu season
IMG_5395.JPG

Why?
Some little birdies told me they were going to Disney and it only took one mention on the forum to get me down there :joyfull::joyfull:

Day 1 - January 17, 2018
Our flight wasn't as early as our last trip so we were able to sleep in - only I was wide awake at like 6 am :joyfull:
So we got up and ready and did some last minute packing before heading out
Usual date pictures my Mom makes us take :)
DSC_7597.jpg

DSC_7600.jpg

Anyway we were out the door by 7:20 am and ready for a quick trip the airport. Only, it wasn't. It wasn't supposed to snow this morning so I wasn't even stressed out about it but it was snowing pretty heavily which turned our 15 minute drive into a 45 minute drive. I mean....people were driving like they had never seen snow before which was obnoxious! Thankfully we had TSA precheck (although security was dead anyway) so we got through security in like 2 minutes and we were back on track time wise.
We had some breakfast....our usual bagels!
DSC_7603.jpg
DSC_7608.jpg

My Mom wouldn't take a normal picture :joyfull:
DSC_7611.jpg

After breakfast we had a short wait to board our plane. We boarded quickly but sadly we were stuck de-icing for 20 minutes before we could even leave.
Gangs all here
DSC_7612.jpg

Magic Band twins
DSC_7613.jpg

Our flight was extra long for some reason...usually its like 2 hours and 20 minutes max and this time it was almost 3 hours o_O I'm sure the weather had something to do with it but it was annoying :joyfull: Everything felt like it was in slo-mo this morning which is torture when you just want to be in Disney!
First stop: fonorail!
DSC_7619.jpg

Next up: more airport fun

amjt660

Premium Member
So, the most expensive, flagship resort on property doesn't offer turn down service anymore, unless the guest makes a phone call and requests it? :facepalm: May seem like a minor detail to some, but for how they tout the first class experience there and the ridiculously high room rates, that would be the last place I'd expect them to implement a decision like that.

Makes you wonder if they can still call themselves Deluxe?
What star level are they at?? 4??

Max

Doc Disney

Original Poster
So you're saying there's a chance... :p I love that your response was "it may have to be a weekend thing" and not "dang I'd love to but I'm out of vacation time!" :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

You know I barely need a reason :joyfull:

So glad they brought it back :joyfull:!!! I was devastated when I read that it had disappeared from the menu! We are hoping to get back to Disney this summer and after hearing my sister and I rave repeatedly about that meal everyone wanted to go to Mama Melrose! Hopefully it will stay on the menu and we can all enjoy it!

A summer trip?!?! That would be great!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
So, the most expensive, flagship resort on property doesn't offer turn down service anymore, unless the guest makes a phone call and requests it? :facepalm: May seem like a minor detail to some, but for how they tout the first class experience there and the ridiculously high room rates, that would be the last place I'd expect them to implement a decision like that.

I didnt want to sound bratty saying it so I kept my opinion out but totally agree! I thought it was ridiculous - like they keep cutting more and more corners and this particular thing just seems silly

I got the mint one (but I wanted all the colors)! They are so cute!!

I love them all too! I always had my eye on the black but the Rose Gold seemed to pop more!

Makes you wonder if they can still call themselves Deluxe?
What star level are they at?? 4??

Max

I have no idea...but turn down is a simple thing that they probably don't realize makes as big of a difference as it does

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 January 18, 2018
On a day we planned on sleeping in my Mom's phone woke us up (someone texted her and she sleeps with the sound on) before 7 am. Oh well, best laid plans :joyfull:
Since this was originally our arrival day we had no FPs planned until the afternoon so we had a relaxed morning planned.
We started off at Gasparilla Grill
I had Tator Tots and strawberries
DSC_7709.jpg

I was hopeful the strawberries would cancel out the Tator Tots :joyfull:
DSC_7711.jpg

My Mom had waffles and bacon and grapes
DSC_7712.jpg

We made a plan to hop on the monorail to head to the Contemporary to check out Bay View Gifts. Only, it was cold out...like 30 degrees cold....so we had to go put on more layers before we left. We should have paid attention to the warning signs (ie ALL the flowers on property were covered for frost) but this level of cold was a bit jarring even for us Buffalonians. Oh well nothing a few more layers couldn't fix :)
The whole point of going to BVG was to look for a luggage tag (Grumpy 'til I get there) but they sadly stopped selling it so we wandered around instead
Is it a trip to the Contemporary without ear pictures?
DSC_7716.jpg

DSC_7720.jpg

DSC_7723.jpg

I'm sure I have said in another TR that this circle of chairs cracks me up...it looks like they are trying to worship the tree
DSC_7724.jpg

I wanted to take a picture of the ancient appearing running path sign and my Mom decided to demonstrate
DSC_7725.jpg

DSC_7726.jpg

We eventually made our way over to the bus stop and we noticed the new bus screens...very nice!
DSC_7727.jpg

Next up: more wandering

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
Our actual destination for the morning was DS so we hopped on a bus and headed there. We got there a little before the shops opened so we took a whole ton of random photos
IMG_5958.JPG

Did I mention it was cold?
IMG_5960.JPG

DSC_7731.jpg

DSC_7732.jpg

DSC_7737.jpg

It was Winnie the Pooh day so we stopped by Plastic Pooh to say hi :joyfull:
IMG_5962.JPG

We did a bit of Christmas shop shopping then headed on our way to our next stop.
Oh but hey, a (hidden?) Mickey
DSC_7740.jpg

Our next goal of the morning was to find the Millenial pink Magic Bands. My sister Jill and I both really wanted them and my Mom brought up the point that they would be great for our next trip to celebrate her cancer free anniversary. I walked into the pin traders and there they were! I yet again had no idea how hard they were to come by! We had several CMs comment on them the rest of the trip and ask where we found them because they were sold out!
I wasn't sure they would let me buy all 4 so I got 2 and my Mom attempted to get 2 but her wallet was stuck in her backpack because the zipper was stuck. Instead of the CM helping out and saying I can get all 4 she watched us struggle. Eventually (outside the shop) we got it open so my Mom went and got the other 2. The CM who we JUST saw asked her if she was looking for Birthday pins. She like no...the pink Magic Bands.... :facepalm:
IMG_5963.JPG

After our find we made our way to the World of Disney and looked around a bit. They rearranged some of the store so it was even more confusing than usual.
This shirt was made for me! I think everyone else groans every time I ask to stay for fireworks :joyfull:
IMG_5964.JPG

Next up: lunch time!

prfctlyximprct

Oh my gosh a breakfast after my own heart! Tater tots and strawberries! They look so good!

And I love the rose gold spirit jersey! I ended up getting black, I wanted the red one with polka dots but I knew I'd wear the black the most. I'm so sad because when I took the tag off here at home, there's a slight hole where the pricetag went! Idk if I should bother sending it back, I still keep wearing it. Maybe I should just order more :p

Your report is making me miss DHS... wish I went this trip :(

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Oh my gosh a breakfast after my own heart! Tater tots and strawberries! They look so good!

And I love the rose gold spirit jersey! I ended up getting black, I wanted the red one with polka dots but I knew I'd wear the black the most. I'm so sad because when I took the tag off here at home, there's a slight hole where the pricetag went! Idk if I should bother sending it back, I still keep wearing it. Maybe I should just order more :p

Your report is making me miss DHS... wish I went this trip :(

The tator tots were delish but the strawberries had no flavor....I still ate them to get the nutrition :joyfull:
I would definitely send it back! You don't want it to rip more! The black is super cute too that was always going to be my choice until the Rose Gold came out.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
It was like 11:00 so seemed like just as good a time as any to eat lunch :)
We had talked about different places we wanted to eat before the trip and while DS has so many new options we wanted to check out Blaze again so we went there. We got there essentially right as it opened so it wasn't very crowded which was nice.
We shared a pizza with spicy red sauce, mozzarella, black olives, pepperoni, and banana peppers - so yum!
DSC_7745.jpg

Coke in a bottle is always a plus :)
file-5.jpg

We were recommended to try Sprinkles by a patient of my Mom's so we headed over there next.
DSC_7747.jpg

My Mom got the salty caramel cupcake (Left) and I got the Sprinkle cupcake (right...obviously)
DSC_7749.jpg

They were good! I'm not a sweets person in general but they were very fresh and tasty cupcakes!
DSC_7751.jpg

DSC_7753.jpg

DSC_7754.jpg

DSC_7755.jpg

More random Disney Springs!
DSC_7757.jpg

DSC_7758.jpg

Next up: more DS

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
After Sprinkles we headed to the next stop on my list of things to check out....The Edison!
DSC_7759.jpg

I didn't really know what to expect in The Edison but it was so cool inside!!!
DSC_7760.jpg

I was kind of hoping to just look around but we were immediately greeted by one of the "inventors" there who showed us the top floor and encouraged us to go downstairs. The inventors are cool - they are all dressed up and carry around little inventions with them to show off. At one point she asked me about my camera and treated it like it was an invention to her - kind of cheesy but a nice touch! I overhead one of the managers saying he didn't think the inventors would last long but people really liked them so they kept them!
So many cool lights!
DSC_7761.jpg

Since it was cold out and we had nowhere to be we ended up sitting at the bar for a drink!
IMG_5968.JPG

So pretty!
IMG_5969.JPG

My Mom had the Samantha Sterling
DSC_7762.jpg

And I had the City of Light
DSC_7765.jpg

They were both really great!
IMG_5974.JPG

IMG_5975.JPG

IMG_5977.JPG

Next up: more Edison

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Day 2 continued
After Sprinkles we headed to the next stop on my list of things to check out....The Edison!
View attachment 260387
I didn't really know what to expect in The Edison but it was so cool inside!!!
View attachment 260388
I was kind of hoping to just look around but we were immediately greeted by one of the "inventors" there who showed us the top floor and encouraged us to go downstairs. The inventors are cool - they are all dressed up and carry around little inventions with them to show off. At one point she asked me about my camera and treated it like it was an invention to her - kind of cheesy but a nice touch! I overhead one of the managers saying he didn't think the inventors would last long but people really liked them so they kept them!
So many cool lights!
View attachment 260389
Since it was cold out and we had nowhere to be we ended up sitting at the bar for a drink!
View attachment 260391
So pretty!
View attachment 260392
My Mom had the Samantha Sterling
View attachment 260390
And I had the City of Light
View attachment 260393
They were both really great!
View attachment 260394
View attachment 260395
View attachment 260396

Next up: more Edison

The Edison intrigues me. It's a place I'd seek out the next time I get to WDW (Disney Springs, that is).

Matt and Kelly

We have yet to try Blaze pizza. We have one about 10 min from our house so we really don't have a excuse.
Sprinkles is always on our list to go but for some reason we just never get to it. So much to do not enough time.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I'm bummed we didn't make it over to Disney Springs this time around (the last time I was at WDW it was still DTD...but really, it will always be DTD)! Glad you got to check out the Edison. It looks awesome!

For some reason my family is really into DS so we always try to go there unless its a very short trip :) The Edison is very cool!!

Doc,

You always have the cure for the Disney Blues. Following.

Aww thanks :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Omg that day (Thursday) was SO COLD!!! And we both know cold by now (Um hello Buffalo I'm looking at you today... 16 degrees....).
Spoiler alert, Daniel and I had to buy fleeces!!

My Mom and I kept saying our backs hurt because of cold it was! Like, obviously its cold here at home but I'm not outside all day haha

Definitely getting something from The Edison next time! We walked through there and listened to some of the entertainment while we were there. It's a beautiful place! Didn't see any inventors, but it was pretty crowded, so I bet we just didn't notice them.

I'm not sure they have the Inventors out at night because of the bands and other entertainment they have at night...at least I think that's what I heard. I just listened to a podcast that said the food is pretty good there so I would def like to try that

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom