Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Tale of the Three Backpacks

Hi all! As I am fighting through Disney depression I figured I would start my TR to see if it helps...:inlove:

Who?
The usual....my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_406381236239.JPG

When?
January 17 - January 21, 2018 - originally it was supposed to be the 18th - 21st but the vacation creep hit us :inlove:

Where?
Originally we planned on staying at Pop Century but my sleep deprived self changed to the Grand Floridian while at the airport going home from our last trip :joyfull: We fell in love with it last trip and I found a decent rate so we switched. Also I am neurotic and was worried about staying at a value with all the kids during the peak of flu season
IMG_5395.JPG

Why?
Some little birdies told me they were going to Disney and it only took one mention on the forum to get me down there :joyfull::joyfull:

Day 1 - January 17, 2018
Our flight wasn't as early as our last trip so we were able to sleep in - only I was wide awake at like 6 am :joyfull:
So we got up and ready and did some last minute packing before heading out
Usual date pictures my Mom makes us take :)
DSC_7597.jpg

DSC_7600.jpg

Anyway we were out the door by 7:20 am and ready for a quick trip the airport. Only, it wasn't. It wasn't supposed to snow this morning so I wasn't even stressed out about it but it was snowing pretty heavily which turned our 15 minute drive into a 45 minute drive. I mean....people were driving like they had never seen snow before which was obnoxious! Thankfully we had TSA precheck (although security was dead anyway) so we got through security in like 2 minutes and we were back on track time wise.
We had some breakfast....our usual bagels!
DSC_7603.jpg
DSC_7608.jpg

My Mom wouldn't take a normal picture :joyfull:
DSC_7611.jpg

After breakfast we had a short wait to board our plane. We boarded quickly but sadly we were stuck de-icing for 20 minutes before we could even leave.
Gangs all here
DSC_7612.jpg

Magic Band twins
DSC_7613.jpg

Our flight was extra long for some reason...usually its like 2 hours and 20 minutes max and this time it was almost 3 hours o_O I'm sure the weather had something to do with it but it was annoying :joyfull: Everything felt like it was in slo-mo this morning which is torture when you just want to be in Disney!
First stop: fonorail!
DSC_7619.jpg

Next up: more airport fun

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
It was time for dinner so we checked into Mama Melroses!
It was a very short wait and the restaurant was actually pretty dead inside
DSC_7667.jpg

We were seated at a cute little table for two. It was located on Vine Ave according to our waitress...well and the street sign behind us!
Bread to start!
DSC_7669.jpg
DSC_7670.jpg

We got this adorable card welcoming us back. It even has recipes inside from Mama herself :hilarious:
DSC_7671.jpg

DSC_7672.jpg

DSC_7673.jpg

My Mom caught me taking too many pictures :)
file-6.jpg

For dinner I got the charred strip steak....as if that was a surprise
DSC_7674.jpg

It was even better than usual! I dont even know how...
My Mom got spaghetti and meatballs
DSC_7675.jpg

She said her was really good as well! As usual it was two thumbs up for Mama Melrose's from us!
We considered getting a drink at Baseline Tap House but we were super full from dinner so skipped it and decided to save for a future trip.
We weren't going to do our final FP because it was Star Tours and it tends to give me a headache but I did want to see the new scenes from The Last Jedi so we went on!
DSC_7677.jpg

The new scenes were cool and I only got a short term headache so win win :)

Next up: finishing out HS

LisaBelle

Day 1 continued
View attachment 259969
We were seated at a cute little table for two. It was located on Vine Ave according to our waitress...well and the street sign behind us!
Bread to start!
View attachment 259970View attachment 259971
We got this adorable card welcoming us back. It even has recipes inside from Mama herself :hilarious:
View attachment 259972
View attachment 259973
View attachment 259978
View attachment 259979
View attachment 259980
View attachment 259981
She said her was really good as well! As usual it was two thumbs up for Mama Melrose's from us!
We considered getting a drink at Baseline Tap House but we were super full from dinner so skipped it and decided to save for a future trip.
We weren't going to do our final FP because it was Star Tours and it tends to give me a headache but I did want to see the new scenes from The Last Jedi so we went on!
View attachment 259988

Sitting at my daughter’s volleyball tournament drooling over your Mama Melrose steak :joyfull:!

Kiwiduck

Day 1 continued
View attachment 259969
Bread to start!
View attachment 259970View attachment 259971
View attachment 259972
View attachment 259973
View attachment 259978
View attachment 259979
View attachment 259980
View attachment 259981
View attachment 259988

Nice to see that they put it back on the menu just for you!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
Hello Gertie!
DSC_7679.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_408122338178.JPG

Well I didn't listen to my Mom and I was freezing and didn't have a coat (like she told me to bring) so we went into the first gift shop we found so I could buy something warm. I actually really wanted a spirit jersey for like forever anyway so it was a good excuse to buy one. I got the Rose Gold one....sorry to all you Rose Gold haters! I didn't realize how hard they were to come by until later in the week when everyone was talking about it!
The cashier gave my Mom and I the Chistmas passholder magnet :joyfull:
IMG_5954.JPG

Anyway we headed out of the park and to the MK via the bus. Our bus was jam packed full of teenage kiddos who were really into falling all over and stepping on peoples feet. :facepalm:
Thankfully it wasn't too long a ride and soon enough we were at the MK! Random picture...
DSC_7683.jpg

My spirit jersey did NOT match my outfit...haha
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_408123663074.JPG

DSC_7684.jpg

DSC_7685.jpg

We had a FP for Dumbo so we headed there first.
Oh wait, random light photo first :)
DSC_7686.jpg

DSC_7688.jpg

DSC_7689.jpg

Next up: more MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
Dumbo continued
DSC_7690.jpg

Side note Dumbo is not the best ride to go on when its cold out :cyclops:
Next up was the Peoplemover!
DSC_7693.jpg

DSC_7696.jpg

After the people mover we headed back towards the hub to watch the projection show Once Upon a Time. It was actually the first time we watched it so it was cool to see! I have no pictures because it was crowded and I'm short :) We ended up moving out of the crowd to head further back on Main Street to watch Happily Ever After. We witnessed a major stroller fight (apparently it was a guy's fault that the stroller ran INTO him? the owners of the stroller had a few choice words with the guy who legit did nothing wrong). We also saw a scooter driver who was not at all worried about who she would run into as she moved full speed ahead down Main Street. She ran over a young kids foot (and almost mine but thankfully my Mom moved me out of the way) and didn't even apologize when the kid told her she did it! Bizarre. People are so rude around fireworks time!
Anyway we watched HEA (again no pictures) and headed out.
Empty monorail !
IMG_5953.JPG

Home Sweet Home
DSC_7703.jpg

P.S. you now have to call for turn down service if you want it...there was a note in the room. We don't need it so we did not ask for it.
View from our room!
DSC_7705.jpg

Also, a picture of mostly trees but if you look hard enough you can spot the Electrical Water Pageant (my fav!)
DSC_7706.jpg

And off the bed we went!

Next up: Its really cold

LisaBelle

Oh my gosh Lisa is was better than ever! I'm drooling over it too :)
So glad they brought it back :joyfull:!!! I was devastated when I read that it had disappeared from the menu! We are hoping to get back to Disney this summer and after hearing my sister and I rave repeatedly about that meal everyone wanted to go to Mama Melrose! Hopefully it will stay on the menu and we can all enjoy it!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
P.S. you now have to call for turn down service if you want it...there was a note in the room. We don't need it so we did not ask for it.

So, the most expensive, flagship resort on property doesn't offer turn down service anymore, unless the guest makes a phone call and requests it? :facepalm: May seem like a minor detail to some, but for how they tout the first class experience there and the ridiculously high room rates, that would be the last place I'd expect them to implement a decision like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom