Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Tale of the Three Backpacks

Hi all! As I am fighting through Disney depression I figured I would start my TR to see if it helps...:inlove:

Who?
The usual....my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_406381236239.JPG

When?
January 17 - January 21, 2018 - originally it was supposed to be the 18th - 21st but the vacation creep hit us :inlove:

Where?
Originally we planned on staying at Pop Century but my sleep deprived self changed to the Grand Floridian while at the airport going home from our last trip :joyfull: We fell in love with it last trip and I found a decent rate so we switched. Also I am neurotic and was worried about staying at a value with all the kids during the peak of flu season
IMG_5395.JPG

Why?
Some little birdies told me they were going to Disney and it only took one mention on the forum to get me down there :joyfull::joyfull:

Day 1 - January 17, 2018
Our flight wasn't as early as our last trip so we were able to sleep in - only I was wide awake at like 6 am :joyfull:
So we got up and ready and did some last minute packing before heading out
Usual date pictures my Mom makes us take :)
DSC_7597.jpg

DSC_7600.jpg

Anyway we were out the door by 7:20 am and ready for a quick trip the airport. Only, it wasn't. It wasn't supposed to snow this morning so I wasn't even stressed out about it but it was snowing pretty heavily which turned our 15 minute drive into a 45 minute drive. I mean....people were driving like they had never seen snow before which was obnoxious! Thankfully we had TSA precheck (although security was dead anyway) so we got through security in like 2 minutes and we were back on track time wise.
We had some breakfast....our usual bagels!
DSC_7603.jpg
DSC_7608.jpg

My Mom wouldn't take a normal picture :joyfull:
DSC_7611.jpg

After breakfast we had a short wait to board our plane. We boarded quickly but sadly we were stuck de-icing for 20 minutes before we could even leave.
Gangs all here
DSC_7612.jpg

Magic Band twins
DSC_7613.jpg

Our flight was extra long for some reason...usually its like 2 hours and 20 minutes max and this time it was almost 3 hours o_O I'm sure the weather had something to do with it but it was annoying :joyfull: Everything felt like it was in slo-mo this morning which is torture when you just want to be in Disney!
First stop: fonorail!
DSC_7619.jpg

Next up: more airport fun

Doc Disney

Original Poster
The Edison intrigues me. It's a place I'd seek out the next time I get to WDW (Disney Springs, that is).

It is getting mixed reviews about being at Disney Springs. Apparently a lot of people don't feel like its family friendly enough to be at Disney...but I think people need to remember Disney does not own it. Personally I thought it was cool! I have also heard, though, that at night when they have all the live entertainment it can get VERY loud and very rowdy.

We have yet to try Blaze pizza. We have one about 10 min from our house so we really don't have a excuse.
Sprinkles is always on our list to go but for some reason we just never get to it. So much to do not enough time.

Oh my goodness you have to go to Blaze! Its so good! Honestly if it wasn't cold out I dont think we would have made it to Sprinkles either...it was not a priority for us but it was so cold it was better to find some things we could do inside :) (Although we did indeed eat the cupcakes outside in the sun...haha)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
A ton of Edison pictures...
They have cool little crevices with invention finds downstairs
DSC_7767.jpg

You can kind of see from this view that I got the Mickey equivalent of my Mom's Minnie backpack. I realized quickly, especially this trip with carrying around extra clothes, how nice it was to have more room in the backpack...and hey they are super cute! However, this is not the 3rd backpack in terms of the title of the TR....that will have to wait :)
DSC_7768.jpg

DSC_7769.jpg

DSC_7770.jpg

DSC_7772.jpg

Absolutely terrible picture of this cool light but I was trying to get out the door :)
DSC_7774.jpg

Oh, I also tried to take a picture of the giant clock thats there when you walk in but people were standing in front of it and not moving so enjoy this bad picture of it :)
DSC_7776.jpg

Overall The Edison was so cool! They also have an outside area along the water that looks great too but it was too cold for us to go out there. The bartender was telling us to come back in the evening to check out all the entertainment they have (bands that play 20's music or current music in 20's style, aerialists, magicians, etc). We had a good laugh when she said it all started at like 9:45 pm - we pretended we would come back someday well knowing we are usually in bed by then :joyfull::hilarious:
I heard on a podcast that some people do not feel like The Edison belongs (? too edgy or something) in Disney Springs but we thought it was really cool :)
We saw Enzo's as we were leaving :)
DSC_7777.jpg

Hello balloon...apparently it flies in the cold but not the heat :)
DSC_7778.jpg

Next up: a little bit more DS

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
Random fountain pictures
DSC_7780.jpg

DSC_7781.jpg

I stopped in my favorite nonDisney DS store Sugarboo and Co. then we headed back to the GF.
We were walking back to the room when my Mom said "look its a crane" and I was like yea its been there since we got here...but turns out she was talking about the bird (on the Left) not the giant piece of equipment :joyfull::joyfull:
DSC_7783.jpg

That bird probably isn't even a crane - but it was still funny...we could not stop laughing !
Kind of morbid but we think these Mousekeeping carts look like something out of a funeral home
DSC_7785.jpg

Back in the room the gang was watching TV :)
DSC_7787.jpg

I finally took some pictures of the views from out balcony :)
DSC_7789.jpg

DSC_7790.jpg

DSC_7792.jpg

DSC_7793.jpg

For those of you who are wondering if we would match again my Mom and I are indeed wearing the same shirt...just different colors :)
After getting ready we headed to the concierge to get Minnie Van on my Mom's phone. Our last Minnie Van driver told us we could then use it every trip no matter on where we were staying since it was already activated on our phones :) Since our next trip will have 7 people with us and there is one particular instance where I think we will need a Minnie Van we needed two phones to do it. Anyway, eventually we made it to the MK :)
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_408142866509.JPG

Next up: its a parade!

Last edited:

Big Hair

Day 2 continued
Random fountain pictures
View attachment 260645
View attachment 260646
I stopped in my favorite nonDisney DS store Sugarboo and Co. then we headed back to the GF.
We were walking back to the room when my Mom said "look its a crane" and I was like yea its been there since we got here...but turns out she was talking about the bird (on the Left) not the giant piece of equipment :joyfull::joyfull:
View attachment 260647

That bird probably isn't even a crane - but it was still funny...we could not stop laughing !
Kind of morbid but we think these Mousekeeping carts look like something out of a funeral home
View attachment 260648
Back in the room the game was watching TV :)
View attachment 260650
I finally took some pictures of the views from out balcony :)
View attachment 260652
View attachment 260653
View attachment 260654
View attachment 260655
For those of you who are wondering if we would match again my Mom and I are indeed wearing the same shirt...just different colors :)
After getting ready we headed to the concierge to get Minnie Van on my Mom's phone. Our last Minnie Van driver told us we could then use it every trip no matter on where we were staying since it was already activated on our phones :) Since our next trip will have 7 people with us and there is one particular instance where I think we will need a Minnie Van we needed two phones to do it. Anyway, eventually we made it to the MK :)
View attachment 260656

Next up: its a parade!
I asked the front desk for a Minnie Van on the 1st night of our quick trip last week to All Star Sports and was told no. She said the Minnie does not service value resorts. No big deal, the taxi was probably quicker anyways, but I felt kind of slighted. The magic treatment should be the same dollar for dollar no matter where you stay.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I asked the front desk for a Minnie Van on the 1st night of our quick trip last week to All Star Sports and was told no. She said the Minnie does not service value resorts. No big deal, the taxi was probably quicker anyways, but I felt kind of slighted. The magic treatment should be the same dollar for dollar no matter where you stay.

According to our Minnie Van driver it will eventually reach all resorts but it is still in its testing phase which is why only a few resorts have it

LeighM

I'm so excited for the Edison. I've been wanting to go since it was first announced but it took forever for them to open. Got plans to see them in March! And we have a Blaze pizza 20 minutes from us here in Virginia and we love it. Especially since the husband and I never agree on pizza so we have to have our own. Love it!

Lyssa

What a fun trip :) Though I don't quite get the rose gold fad, LOL, it's just not my color ;) I've also heard Blaze is amazing, and we must try it out next time

Heatherbell

I have been using so much hand sanitizer (and used so much in Disney that my hands bled) :joyfull:

Same here!!!!! I am an ER nurse and despite my sanitizer/mask/handwashing efforts I am suffering from Flu A. Gross! I am extremely thankful for trip reports like yours-makes laying on the couch feeling like death a little more bearable, so thank you!

Songbird76

Day 2 continued
It was like 11:00 so seemed like just as good a time as any to eat lunch :)
We had talked about different places we wanted to eat before the trip and while DS has so many new options we wanted to check out Blaze again so we went there. We got there essentially right as it opened so it wasn't very crowded which was nice.
We shared a pizza with spicy red sauce, mozzarella, black olives, pepperoni, and banana peppers - so yum!
View attachment 260377
Coke in a bottle is always a plus :)
View attachment 260382
We were recommended to try Sprinkles by a patient of my Mom's so we headed over there next.
View attachment 260378
My Mom got the salty caramel cupcake (Left) and I got the Sprinkle cupcake (right...obviously)
View attachment 260379
They were good! I'm not a sweets person in general but they were very fresh and tasty cupcakes!
View attachment 260380
View attachment 260381
View attachment 260383
View attachment 260384
More random Disney Springs!
View attachment 260385
View attachment 260386

Next up: more DS
Is your mom a doctor, too? And what kind of doctor are you? You finished school recently, right?
P.S. Those cupcakes look amazing!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Love the rose gold ears pictures on your balcony! Now that’s the real royal treatment! Those views are to die for! You’d have to drag me off that balcony!

Still sad I didn’t make it to Disney Springs! I have still not ever had ghiradhelli!!! Those cupcakes might be on my list first! Looks so good!!!

That balcony was incredible. If it wasn't like 40 degrees I would have lived out there :) My Mom said Ghiradelli > Sprinkles. As a non sweets person I really could take or leave either :)

I'm so excited for the Edison. I've been wanting to go since it was first announced but it took forever for them to open. Got plans to see them in March! And we have a Blaze pizza 20 minutes from us here in Virginia and we love it. Especially since the husband and I never agree on pizza so we have to have our own. Love it!

It was super cool inside! I would like to go back at night and check it out :) We just got a Blaze here...I am so excited!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
What a fun trip :) Though I don't quite get the rose gold fad, LOL, it's just not my color ;) I've also heard Blaze is amazing, and we must try it out next time

You definitely should check it out! Rose Gold isn't for everyone totally get it :) I dont own like a million things in Rose Gold...actually all I own is Disney stuff :joyfull:

Oh no!!!!!! We have had SO much flu in my office we are actually starting to wear masks for sick visits...heal quickly!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Is your mom a doctor, too? And what kind of doctor are you? You finished school recently, right?
P.S. Those cupcakes look amazing!

They were very yummy! She is not a physician. She works in the dental field...along with the rest of my family :)
I am Family Medicine. I finished school 3.5 years ago but just recently finished my residency :happy:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
I realized as were were walking into the park that it was just around 3 pm and there was barely anyone lined up to see Festival of Fantasy so we decided to find a spot along Main Street for it. We have never consciously sat down and watched this parade so I figured it was finally time.
My Mom did a bit of shopping in The Emporium while I waited for the parade and watched the Marching Band walk by
DSC_7799.jpg

My Mom joined me back on the curb just in time for a Photopass picture
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_408143636592.JPG

There was a fair amount of empty space around us which does not explain why a kiddo decided to sit right next to me...and by RIGHT next to me I mean practically on me. I scooted over a bit and she scooted with me and proceeded to ram her elbows into me the entire time. The Mom was totally OK with it :in pain: I mean I'm all for kids seeing the parade but there was plenty of room for this to not happen. When the parade started the kiddo on the other side of us was literally screaming at the top of his lungs every time a new character came around. "BELLLLLLEEEEEE!!!!!!" It was cute (and funny when he called Anna and Elsa the wrong names) but no lie in the end it got old :joyfull: I can't wait to go back and watch my videos because I feel like all I'm going to hear is his voice. :joyfull: Kids aside the parade was great...we just probably won't sit down for it again :)
DSC_7803.jpg
DSC_7805.jpg
DSC_7810.jpg
DSC_7811.jpg
DSC_7817.jpg
DSC_7820.jpg
DSC_7823 (1).jpg
DSC_7824.jpg

Next up: more and more pictures

Doc Disney

Original Poster
30° temps do not belong in Disney World!
It's about 5° here in Chicago, but somehow 30° in Disney sounds colder.

Glad to hear you're a fellow Blaze fan! The blood orange lemonade 😋

I agree! It was too cold for Florida :) I just went to Blaze here at home for dinner :) I never had the blood orange lemonade though!

Those are excellent parade photos, and really fun! Glad you had a nice, sunny day to take your pictures. :happy:

Thank you! Don't let the sun fool you...it was a ripe 30 degrees out :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom