Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Tale of the Three Backpacks

Hi all! As I am fighting through Disney depression I figured I would start my TR to see if it helps...:inlove:

Who?
The usual....my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_406381236239.JPG

When?
January 17 - January 21, 2018 - originally it was supposed to be the 18th - 21st but the vacation creep hit us :inlove:

Where?
Originally we planned on staying at Pop Century but my sleep deprived self changed to the Grand Floridian while at the airport going home from our last trip :joyfull: We fell in love with it last trip and I found a decent rate so we switched. Also I am neurotic and was worried about staying at a value with all the kids during the peak of flu season
IMG_5395.JPG

Why?
Some little birdies told me they were going to Disney and it only took one mention on the forum to get me down there :joyfull::joyfull:

Day 1 - January 17, 2018
Our flight wasn't as early as our last trip so we were able to sleep in - only I was wide awake at like 6 am :joyfull:
So we got up and ready and did some last minute packing before heading out
Usual date pictures my Mom makes us take :)
DSC_7597.jpg

DSC_7600.jpg

Anyway we were out the door by 7:20 am and ready for a quick trip the airport. Only, it wasn't. It wasn't supposed to snow this morning so I wasn't even stressed out about it but it was snowing pretty heavily which turned our 15 minute drive into a 45 minute drive. I mean....people were driving like they had never seen snow before which was obnoxious! Thankfully we had TSA precheck (although security was dead anyway) so we got through security in like 2 minutes and we were back on track time wise.
We had some breakfast....our usual bagels!
DSC_7603.jpg
DSC_7608.jpg

My Mom wouldn't take a normal picture :joyfull:
DSC_7611.jpg

After breakfast we had a short wait to board our plane. We boarded quickly but sadly we were stuck de-icing for 20 minutes before we could even leave.
Gangs all here
DSC_7612.jpg

Magic Band twins
DSC_7613.jpg

Our flight was extra long for some reason...usually its like 2 hours and 20 minutes max and this time it was almost 3 hours o_O I'm sure the weather had something to do with it but it was annoying :joyfull: Everything felt like it was in slo-mo this morning which is torture when you just want to be in Disney!
First stop: fonorail!
DSC_7619.jpg

Next up: more airport fun

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I am afraid of any type of monkey, gorilla, ape, whatever. I just can't stand to be around them, so I avoid the gorilla's like the plague. My family thinks it's hilarious and pull "monkey" pranks on me all the time. Don't know why?

I think a lot of the apes have a certain reverence. They're so... human like. The Orangutans at our zoo play peek a boo with us and when you look them in the eyes you can see emotion and understanding. There's something almost spooky about it. But then they also have the speed and strength to catch and crush you and none of the human instincts to keep them from doing just that. I love them so much for it, but I can definitely understand when people don't want to be near them.

LeighM

Looking at your pictures of AK is making me so excited for my upcoming trip. Only 25 more days!! Disney just extended the hours of AK and MK during that week. Our AK day is now opening at 7-8 for EMH and 8-10 for normal operations. I'm going to be so sleep deprived but no way am I missing out on being in the park that early! But I guess it would be wishful thinking to hope that Pandora isn't packed from 7-8 AM LOL. Are the crowds in the rest of the park light with a lot of the crowding being in Pandora?

Kiwiduck

Day 4 continued
Pandora overload
View attachment 263774
I like how the flowers are in different stages of opening...super small detail!
View attachment 263775
View attachment 263776
View attachment 263782

I couldn't get a FP for Flight of Passage so we headed to Navi River Journey for our first FP
View attachment 263777
Enjoy my blurry phone pictures ...
View attachment 263779
View attachment 263780
View attachment 263781
Unpopular opinion but we really enjoy this ride! In my mind its a classic Disney boat ride and those are always great. Certainly its not thrilling but its a nice relaxing ride :) Totally get the argument that its not necessarily worth a long wait though!
More pictures of Pandora
View attachment 263778
View attachment 263783

Next up: more AK!
I share your unpopular opinion about Navi River Journey. I think it is a beautiful and calming experience. Just wish it was longer!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I saw on another vlog where the baby hippo can only be seen on the Safari.

Makes sense! The baby was born like the day before we were there so I don't think it was out anywhere :joyfull:

I am afraid of any type of monkey, gorilla, ape, whatever. I just can't stand to be around them, so I avoid the gorilla's like the plague. My family thinks it's hilarious and pull "monkey" pranks on me all the time. Don't know why?

I feel like thats not uncommon actually! I find them to be fascinating but I wouldn't want to see one in the wild haha
You may want to skip my next post :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
@Doc Disney I felt a little overwhelmed being ten pages behind on your report, but I'm all caught up now!

Glad you could catch up :) thanks for reading !

Looking at your pictures of AK is making me so excited for my upcoming trip. Only 25 more days!! Disney just extended the hours of AK and MK during that week. Our AK day is now opening at 7-8 for EMH and 8-10 for normal operations. I'm going to be so sleep deprived but no way am I missing out on being in the park that early! But I guess it would be wishful thinking to hope that Pandora isn't packed from 7-8 AM LOL. Are the crowds in the rest of the park light with a lot of the crowding being in Pandora?

The crowds were super light in the rest of the park! Like everything else was a walk on! I'm so excited that your trip is so close!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I share your unpopular opinion about Navi River Journey. I think it is a beautiful and calming experience. Just wish it was longer!

I do wish it was longer as well but I agree its very calming!

I share your opinion too. There is so much to look at as you slowly float down the river.

I'm glad I'm not alone :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I also really like Na'vi River Journey. Would I wait an hour for it? No but in all honestly I don't think I'd wait an hour for any ride.

I'm with you...I try not to wait an hour for anything :joyfull:

I was literally at AK the same day LOL and we had similar walking patterns... I bet we passed by each other and didn't even know it :banghead:

Probably because we are destined to meet at Blaze :joyfull::joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
Our next FP was for Kilimanjaro Safaris
I yet again promised myself I wouldn't take any more pictures but I couldn't help myself :joyfull:
DSC_8152.jpg

DSC_8161.jpg

DSC_8174.jpg
DSC_8172.jpg

DSC_8179.jpg

Baby Stella
DSC_8193.jpg

I've never seen this animal before...
DSC_8196.jpg

DSC_8199.jpg

DSC_8204.jpg

Our guide was amazing and there were tons of animals out !

Next up: more AK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
We decided to grab some lunch after this...but first some PP pictures :)
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_408187056060 (1).JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_408187056076.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_408187480147.JPG

We decided on Restaurantosaurus for lunch!
Cool light!
DSC_8206.jpg

For lunch I got chili cheese fries
DSC_8207.jpg

They were super yummy! I just wish there were more..in my mind $5.29 would be a bit bigger but what was I thinking...its Disney :joyfull:
My Mom had chicken nuggets....shocker :joyfull:
DSC_8208.jpg

Our last FP was for Everest so we headed back over there.
Hello buddy!
DSC_8210.jpg

DSC_8212.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_8163777590.jpeg

After our awesome ride we headed out of the park and back to the Grand Floridian ! We were happy to spend some time at AK this trip since we missed it last trip :)

Next up: pool time

riverside

Premium Member
Day 4 continued
Our next FP was for Kilimanjaro Safaris
I yet again promised myself I wouldn't take any more pictures but I couldn't help myself :joyfull:
View attachment 264080
View attachment 264081
View attachment 264083View attachment 264082
View attachment 264084

Baby Stella
View attachment 264085
I've never seen this animal before...
View attachment 264086
View attachment 264087
View attachment 264088
Our guide was amazing and there were tons of animals out !

Next up: more AK
Great safari pictures!! I always tell myself that I’m not going to take anymore either but.....

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Great pictures, I love watching gorilla's it fascinates me how 'human' they are.

Disney or not I would have expected more fries with the chili cheese fries, not chili with a couple of fries thrown on top.

Thank you! Gorillas are super fascinating to me as well :) Yea I agree...at least the chili was really good :)

Great safari pictures!! I always tell myself that I’m not going to take anymore either but.....

Thank you! I know I feel like I must have thousands of animal pictures (no exaggeration) so I try and limit myself haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom