Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Tail of Slinky Dog

Hey everyone!
We have been back for a week now so I suppose it is time to start our TR!

Who
Just my Mom and I :) (Mary and Megan)
This is a picture from our last trip!
IMG_6554.JPG

When?
July 9-July 16 2018

Why?
To celebrate my 30th Birthday :)

Where?
The Grand Floridian :) - thanks to a pretty good bounce back or AP deal (I can't actually remember which one :joyfull: )

The title?
We are obsessed with Slinky Dog Dash - plain and simple :inlove:

Day 1 July 9, 2018
I had to work most of my usual day before we headed to the airport. Why is this day of work always the LONGEST day of work? o_O
My Dad was actually out of town for work so he couldn't drive us to the airport, but my brother in law Nick kindly offered to drive us (thankfully) :)
I was super stressed about leaving on time (I thought our flight was earlier than it was :banghead: ) hence my flushed cheeks :joyfull:
DSC_9825.JPG

Oh hey Nick
DSC_9826.jpg

Of course we made it to the airport, checked our bags and made it through security in little to no time :joyfull:
We decided to eat dinner at our usual airport dinner place - Anchor Bar :)
DSC_9828.JPG

DSC_9830.JPG

DSC_9835.JPG

We shared the appetizer sampler and some fries. Wings, boneless wings, mozzarella sticks :happy::hungry: I realize now this isn't the best of pictures to actually show the food :joyfull:
DSC_9836.JPG

DSC_9837.JPG

After our delicious dinner we headed to the gate to wait to leave.
Petey was ready to go :)
DSC_9840.JPG

Soon enough we were on the plane!
DSC_9842.JPG

Next up: finishing Day 1 (quick day!)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 July 10, 2018
I would like to say we slept in after our late night but we did not :joyfull: I woke up at like 7:15 and my Mom was already ready :joyfull:
We headed to Gasparilla Grill for breakfast. When we went up to the register to pay my Mom's MB said she had reached her credit limit despite not spending any money yet?! My grey MB (aka the one that got "fixed" the previous night) did not even read. Nor did my pink one I also had on. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
I was LIVID. Mostly because this was so embarrassing because we literally had no money on us :eek: Well...that and never mind the fact that I already tried to fix this. Anyway they wrote down our room number for the charge but I don't think they even ended up charging us.
Anyway, shocker of shocker I had tater tots and my Mom had Mickey waffles
DSC_9862.JPG

DSC_9863.JPG

Anyway after eating we headed back the front desk to get some help. I quite literally marched into the lobby trying to not be super angry. The CM who helped us was named Denny and immediately his super pleasant demeanor and apologetic attitude calmed me down. I explained the situation and he took a look. He thought he found the problem and confirmed it with a fellow CM. Turns out there is literally an "activate all Magic Bands" button on the check in window (for that specific reservation) that no one seemed to care enough to press the night before. He apologized and even called IT to make sure all was well and it was! (well....no more MB issues just a charging issue we would discover at the end of the trip). So thank you Denny!
Anyway we headed out of the lobby to the bus stop and the AK bus was right there waiting for us...hooray!
We got there quickly and encountered a HUGE security line. Oddly that was the most crowded we saw AK all day - inside it was dead I think everyone just happened to enter at the same time.
IMG_7495.JPG

After going through security we got in 2 different lines to get our new AP cards - because the one CM wasn't listening to me and told me to "go buy them at the ticket counter" even though I told him multiple times we already did I just needed a new card. :bored:Honestly what the heck was with Disney CMs this first few hours?! Ok I promise I think I'm done complaining :joyfull:
Finally we made it into the park!
DSC_9867.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_412387872015.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_412387872023 (1).JPG

We headed over towards Everest!
DSC_9870.JPG

DSC_9871.JPG

DSC_9872.JPG

DSC_9873.JPG

Next up: Everest

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
Everest still had a short wait so we decided to do it once stand by and the second time with our FP :)
IMG_7498.JPG

We look like we are asleep on both rides :joyfull:
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_412388131838.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_412387999291.jpg

Anyway, after our ride we sat on a bench because we were already hot :happy:
file-72.jpg

Actually in truth we had some very hot days right before our trip so that did help us!
Since we knew we would not be able to spend much time in the park due to the heat we walked over to Kilimanjaro Safaris well before our FP window and it only had a 5 minute wait so we hopped in line!
IMG_7499.JPG

I was hoping that we wouldn't be put in a row with other people since the line was practically empty - but they still put us with another party. Oh well! I was on the right side of the truck and most of the animals seem to be on the left so it actually stopped me from taking a million pictures (just took a half a million ;):p ).
DSC_9878.jpg

I thought this picture was kind of cool :)
DSC_9883.jpg

DSC_9887.jpg

DSC_9896.jpg

DSC_9906.jpg

Next up: more Safari probably

LeighM

hahaha if I could afford furniture maybe I would have room :joyfull:

Funny you should mention furniture. I was telling my husband that pretty much all of our furniture belonged to either my grandma or mom that I inherited when they died. It's not my style but it's free furniture and really good quality. Our living room furniture he bought really cheap from my cousin when she was tired of it and wanted a change. The recliners he got for free from a former coworker when the man's wife wanted them out of the house. I can't figure out why because they're really comfortable LOL. The only thing we've purchased is a mattress, bar stools, bookcases, a dvd tower, and tv stand LOL. The one thing we still need to buy is a dining room table. Because we were too slow to buy my cousin's before she sold it :)

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
Ps. quick life update
I bought a house!
View attachment 297973
So please bear with me since it will probably take me forever to write this TR :)

Congratulations!! Welcome to the home ownership club! Be sure to sweet talk your dad into helping with maintenance like I did. Of course, it doesn’t hurt to have mine next door...

Happy 30th! It just keeps getting better from here.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Congratulations on the new house! (And happy belated birthday!) I’m looking forward to reading another one of your reports! I love your flamingo shirt, by the way :joyfull:

Thank you so much! Funny you say flamingo - I must have stared at that shirt for like 20 minutes trying to figure out what kind of bird that was.

Funny you should mention furniture. I was telling my husband that pretty much all of our furniture belonged to either my grandma or mom that I inherited when they died. It's not my style but it's free furniture and really good quality. Our living room furniture he bought really cheap from my cousin when she was tired of it and wanted a change. The recliners he got for free from a former coworker when the man's wife wanted them out of the house. I can't figure out why because they're really comfortable LOL. The only thing we've purchased is a mattress, bar stools, bookcases, a dvd tower, and tv stand LOL. The one thing we still need to buy is a dining room table. Because we were too slow to buy my cousin's before she sold it :)

haha I hear you. all of the apartments I lived in were furnished off other people's stuff. Now I just want new stuff though because I am Type A and want everything to match :joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Congratulations!! Welcome to the home ownership club! Be sure to sweet talk your dad into helping with maintenance like I did. Of course, it doesn’t hurt to have mine next door...

Happy 30th! It just keeps getting better from here.

Thank you! I am lucky that most of my family is pretty handy not just my Dad :) I did many trips to New Orleans to help rebuild after Katrina and learned a ton of skills myself too which is nice

I'm late, but I'm here! Congrats on the house! Does that mean less Disney trips? :eek:

.....no.....just less furniture in my house :joyfull:

Jedi Stitch

Congrats on the House. I am concerned about the level of experience some of the CM's have. Your story is like many other trip reports I have read. It also is showing a problem the MB has created, when it comes to AP types like you. Their system is designed for the Guest who won't remember or bring a MB from last time or are first time MB user, so Disney has to send new ones. Then this right here is what happens. You have literally dozens of MB. The system can't track them all, as stated in other reports. Then like here you had not one but multiple CM's who did not know what to do, until you have to yet go again, and you find the one CM who knows to push the button. Not only that they do go above and beyond to make sure it is fixed. The level of knowledge each CM has, I spent a few times in an unnecessary que, when I had what I needed, but was directed to get something from one CM, which I already had, and then had to get in the actual line once you have it. It is not KT level, but my professional work ethics scream, when I see a system Dented, not broke but dented, and any savvy professional could easily see the issues and go hey lets fix this. Sorry I rant on your Trip Report, bad me ,bad bad. ooh hey my morning coffee how about I drink it.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
Last safari picture :)
DSC_9913.jpg

Something in me decided to walk through the Gorilla Falls Trail in the heat ...
DSC_9918.jpg

IMG_7503.JPG

DSC_9923.jpg

DSC_9927.jpg

DSC_9930.jpg

DSC_9935.jpg

DSC_9941.jpg

DSC_9945.jpg

Since last summer my Mom and I have been wanting to get henna...we can't ever resit getting a new Disney "check" (aka we did something new). So, we decided to do it at AK since there was no line. We were in a bit of a hurry so barely glanced at the options before both choosing Mickey.
file-73.jpg

Next up: more randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Congrats on the House. I am concerned about the level of experience some of the CM's have. Your story is like many other trip reports I have read. It also is showing a problem the MB has created, when it comes to AP types like you. Their system is designed for the Guest who won't remember or bring a MB from last time or are first time MB user, so Disney has to send new ones. Then this right here is what happens. You have literally dozens of MB. The system can't track them all, as stated in other reports. Then like here you had not one but multiple CM's who did not know what to do, until you have to yet go again, and you find the one CM who knows to push the button. Not only that they do go above and beyond to make sure it is fixed. The level of knowledge each CM has, I spent a few times in an unnecessary que, when I had what I needed, but was directed to get something from one CM, which I already had, and then had to get in the actual line once you have it. It is not KT level, but my professional work ethics scream, when I see a system Dented, not broke but dented, and any savvy professional could easily see the issues and go hey lets fix this. Sorry I rant on your Trip Report, bad me ,bad bad. ooh hey my morning coffee how about I drink it.

Yea but you are right. I'm not sure why one CM knew to press one single button and no one else did? It is concerning. Not to mention I deactivated all but 4 Magic Bands so honestly I feel like 4 should not be that hard to track!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
file-74.jpg

They said it would take about 15 minutes - took about 2
DSC_9946.jpg

DSC_9947.jpg

These pictures are showing the henna before the top layer peeled off.
Cost?: $30 total; Worthwhile?: nope :joyfull: Within a few hours you could barely even see my Moms and mine lasted only a few days! Oh well - at least we got a Disney check!
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_412389307220.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_412389307225.JPG

Our next FP was for Navi River Journey so we headed to Pandora
DSC_9950.JPG

DSC_9951.JPG

A light fixture AND a hidden Mickey ?!
DSC_9954.JPG

DSC_9956.JPG

IMG_7512.JPG

We always say we enjoy the NRJ but would never actually wait in line for it :)

Next up: more AK

LeighM

Thank you so much! Funny you say flamingo - I must have stared at that shirt for like 20 minutes trying to figure out what kind of bird that was.

haha I hear you. all of the apartments I lived in were furnished off other people's stuff. Now I just want new stuff though because I am Type A and want everything to match :joyfull:

I lucked out - my family always got dark wood furniture so everything matches LOL. The problem? I like white furniture :joyfull:

DisneyGigi

So totally know what you mean about the magic bands. Ours would not let us charge or use dining credits and we were starving at DHS... had to go all the way back to the resort to fix it because they couldn’t in the park or on the phone. I was so ticked off!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I know I've mentioned before that your mom looks like a younger version of mine, but I just showed one of your TR pictures to my niece and she asked if it was a picture of her grandmother when she was younger! Congrats on your birthday and your house. Can't wait to read about more of your Disney adventures 😀

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom