Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Princess 10K (and other adventures) !

Hello everyone! We got back from Disney World yesterday and it is very cold here (and slightly depressing) so I am going to start my trip report right away!

Who?
The usuals - my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan) - some people refer to us as the M and M's :)

Where?
Wilderness Lodge :)

When?
February 22 - 27, 2019

Why?
Well - as the title implies we went down for the Princess 10K! It was originally supposed to be both of my sisters and us but for various reasons it ended up being just the two of us :)

Day 1 February 22, 2019
Since our flight was scheduled for very early in the morning my Mom and I decided to stay at a hotel across the street from the airport. We did this once before thinking it was a good idea and again it was not. Any sleep we hoped to save by staying closer was lost due to horrible beds and loud other guests :oops:
In any case, we dragged ourselves out of bed at 3:30 AM and got ready for the airport. The breakfast at the hotel did open at 4 AM so we checked it out but there was nothing good so decided to just head on over to the airport.
We look super duper awake...

Anyway, at the airport we had some bagels then headed to our gate.
(oops sorry accidentally hit post before finishing this post)

About 10 minutes before we were supposed to board we noticed that the time for our departure changed by like 15 minutes. I did not think much of it until they made an announcement that all the computers systemwide at Southwest went down and they could not tell us when we would actually leave and could not board because they could not get a accurate weight of the plane without the computer.

I was beyond frustrated at this point as we have had many issues in the last several months with Southwest and delayed flights. Overall we were only delayed by an hour but it was still pretty annoying. This is also like the third time in two months that Southwest's computers went down . It actually happened the night before too and they canceled over 400 flights due to this and/or weather. The flight attendants more than made up for it though with their charm and witty jokes (one especially good one about Tom Brady which naturally an entire plane of Buffalo people loved).
Anyway, our flight was fairly fast which was good. I think we watched a bit of Netflix :)

FONORAIL!

Then, the usual picture...(don't worry we did not travel from freezing Buffalo in shorts we changed in the airport to help save some/aka make up some time).

Next up: some Expo fun

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Day 2 continued
Since we were bored we headed over towards the corrals around 4:30 am
View attachment 354276
View attachment 354277

At least you can sit in the corrals to rest your legs until closer to the start !
View attachment 354278
At some point I got up to go to the bathroom and my Mom had to leave our spot to find me because I missed the everyone stand up and move forward moment. It was annoying because we dropped back a bit in the corral (and it was totally my fault) but we did get a PP picture out of it :hilarious:
View attachment 354279
Around 5:10 they started bringing people on the race start stage to entertain us. These photos are awful but they include Miss America and Mulan.
View attachment 354282
View attachment 354281
View attachment 354280
It got a bit chaotic in our corral as something happened and we kept having to yell back for a medic. I am actually not sure what ever happened to that person because no one went out on a stretcher or anything.
They also played this really sweet video about the Children's Miracle Network which made my Mom and I cry ....so many emotions so early in the AM!
This is what the crowd looked like in front of us
View attachment 354283
They set off wheelchairs around 5:28 am the the elite runners at 5:30 am. We thought we would be starting pretty close to 5:30 due to the lack of corrals but each corral had like 10 subdivisions just based on where you were standing :hilarious:
This is much different than the half marathons where the entire corral goes at once.
Race stage and starting area
View attachment 354284
View attachment 354285

Next up: maybe some actual running

Not only were we in the same resort, but the same corral. Yeah, that was kinda scary how long it took for medics to show up. From what I gathered, the runner was at the front of the corral - I'm surprised people didn't flag down the volunteers who are there just outside the fencing.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Day 2 continued
More Epcot photos
View attachment 354402
View attachment 354403
View attachment 354404
View attachment 354405
View attachment 354406
View attachment 354407

The we made our way over towards the Boardwalk (via the International Gateway)
View attachment 354408
View attachment 354409
The Boardwalk was so cool to run around too because there were a ton of people out and about and cheering us on. At this point, though, it was really difficult to run due to a. the heat and b. the amount of other runners crowding the walkway and walking. We did not mind walking here and there but at times it does get frustrating when you can't really get around people.
We finally found mile 5!
View attachment 354411

Next up - more....running

Be grateful the Boardwalk was dry - usually it's slippery that early in the AM.

if you thought that was crowded, try the path from DHS over to Epcot. Which I get to do in less than 2 weeks for Star Wars....

Was this your 1st 10K? How did you like the Disney hill?

LAKid53

Premium Member
I kept looking in your race photos to see if we were in your background at all! I didn't spot us though! Glad you had a good race. It was a fun one. We haven't made the leap to the half yet, but we always talk about it!

The Half is a lot of road running. Run from Epcot parking lot - after you've walked a mile to the starting corrals - to MK and back to Epcot. But it's cool run by down Main Street - just you and 25,000 other runners! 😄

LAKid53

Premium Member

LAKid53

Premium Member
Glad you and your mom had another wonderful mother daughter trip! And you looked so cute in your matching running outfits. Keep trying to convince my daughter to do the Princess 5K with me. She'd rather sleep in.

LAKid53

Premium Member
For those who hate the standing around in a corral waiting to start or sitting on the ground, I got this tip from another runner. Child size inner tube. Makes it much easier - and comfortable - to sit and stretch. Just toss when it's time to stand up for the line-up to start.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
You can never have too many giraffe pics!! And that Flame Tree Barbecue food looks delicious!

It was so good ....I wish I had some now :p

@krisri18 and @amjt660 are correct. That’s Koda from Brother Bear. About 10 years ago, you could meet him and Kenai at Camp Minnie-Mickey and at the Canada Pavilion at Epcot. Sure is rare to see him nowadays.

I guess I did not realize how old that movie was!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
We found the pulled pork fries were a meal in themselves. We only get them now for lunch as we have wasted so much food previously.

Yes!!! So filling! I really liked them but I am not a huge pulled pork fan so I am not sure I will get them again anyway

loving your TR :) those cabins look beautiful I would love to stay there one day i just need to win the lottery!

Same! I need some serious cashflow to stay in those :hilarious:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Not only were we in the same resort, but the same corral. Yeah, that was kinda scary how long it took for medics to show up. From what I gathered, the runner was at the front of the corral - I'm surprised people didn't flag down the volunteers who are there just outside the fencing.

Wow really?! Thats nuts! Yea the runner was up front. I considered going up to see what was going on but I missed part of it when I went to the bathroom and my Mom said a bunch of doctors and nurses already ran by

Be grateful the Boardwalk was dry - usually it's slippery that early in the AM.

if you thought that was crowded, try the path from DHS over to Epcot. Which I get to do in less than 2 weeks for Star Wars....

Was this your 1st 10K? How did you like the Disney hill?

Oh I know - we experienced that many times when staying on the Boardwalk!
We are running the Wine and Dine 10K - at least last year that was the same course as Star Wars (from what I can tell from old maps) maybe I will experience it then?
We liked the 10 K distance! The hill was fine we train on hills so it did not bother us. I feel like we ran part of that hill in the half marathons I have run there?

I own at CC also. I'll have to see if I can get a tour of the cabins. Wasn't available for tour when I bought back in 2017.

See if you can!

Glad you and your mom had another wonderful mother daughter trip! And you looked so cute in your matching running outfits. Keep trying to convince my daughter to do the Princess 5K with me. She'd rather sleep in.

Run Disney >> Sleeping in :joyfull:

For those who hate the standing around in a corral waiting to start or sitting on the ground, I got this tip from another runner. Child size inner tube. Makes it much easier - and comfortable - to sit and stretch. Just toss when it's time to stand up for the line-up to start.

oh!!! Smart!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Oh I know - we experienced that many times when staying on the boardwalk!
We are running the Wine and Dine 10K - at least last year that was the same course at Star Wars maybe I will experience then?
We liked the 10 K distance! The hill was fine we train on hills so it did not bother us. I feel like we ran part of that hill in the half marathons I have run there?

You are? You'll have to let me know which resort y'all will be in, maybe we can meet for a chat and coffee.

There's been talk over in the Wine & Dine thread if the 10K and Half courses will change because Galaxy's Edge will be open.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
The first thing we did at the MK was get a PP Picture (of course)

Then we headed over to POTC to use our next bonus FP

We ran into Captain Jack Sparrow in the hall - it was so awesome! He was trying to take money from these kids :hilarious:

I like how these photos kind of turned out creepy

Continuing along the trend of the day we got no ride photo on POTC either.

Next up: more MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
You are? You'll have to let me know which resort y'all will be in, maybe we can meet for a chat and coffee.

There's been talk over in the Wine & Dine thread if the 10K and Half courses will change because Galaxy's Edge will be open.

Hm...I wonder what it would be then!
We are staying at Wilderness Lodge - creatures of habit :) Very short trip though we are essentially going down to run and coming back

LAKid53

Premium Member
Hm...I wonder what it would be then!
We are staying at Wilderness Lodge - creatures of habit :) Very short trip though we are essentially going down to run and coming back

Oh, lots of speculation and wishful thinking.....

Saving those points for a longer trip, right? I'll be at Boulder Ridge. Usually Wednesday to Wednesday, as I'm a glutton for punishment and run all three.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom