Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Princess 10K (and other adventures) !

Hello everyone! We got back from Disney World yesterday and it is very cold here (and slightly depressing) so I am going to start my trip report right away!

Who?
The usuals - my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan) - some people refer to us as the M and M's :)

Where?
Wilderness Lodge :)

When?
February 22 - 27, 2019

Why?
Well - as the title implies we went down for the Princess 10K! It was originally supposed to be both of my sisters and us but for various reasons it ended up being just the two of us :)

Day 1 February 22, 2019
Since our flight was scheduled for very early in the morning my Mom and I decided to stay at a hotel across the street from the airport. We did this once before thinking it was a good idea and again it was not. Any sleep we hoped to save by staying closer was lost due to horrible beds and loud other guests :oops:
In any case, we dragged ourselves out of bed at 3:30 AM and got ready for the airport. The breakfast at the hotel did open at 4 AM so we checked it out but there was nothing good so decided to just head on over to the airport.
We look super duper awake...

Anyway, at the airport we had some bagels then headed to our gate.
(oops sorry accidentally hit post before finishing this post)

About 10 minutes before we were supposed to board we noticed that the time for our departure changed by like 15 minutes. I did not think much of it until they made an announcement that all the computers systemwide at Southwest went down and they could not tell us when we would actually leave and could not board because they could not get a accurate weight of the plane without the computer.

I was beyond frustrated at this point as we have had many issues in the last several months with Southwest and delayed flights. Overall we were only delayed by an hour but it was still pretty annoying. This is also like the third time in two months that Southwest's computers went down . It actually happened the night before too and they canceled over 400 flights due to this and/or weather. The flight attendants more than made up for it though with their charm and witty jokes (one especially good one about Tom Brady which naturally an entire plane of Buffalo people loved).
Anyway, our flight was fairly fast which was good. I think we watched a bit of Netflix :)

FONORAIL!

Then, the usual picture...(don't worry we did not travel from freezing Buffalo in shorts we changed in the airport to help save some/aka make up some time).

Next up: some Expo fun

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
My sister asked for a picture of what we were doing so we sent her this

BTW that cake was fantastic! I intended on getting it again that evening and I forgot but I hope its back next year!
Next up was what I had been waiting all year for - a Deconstructed Reuben (Shredded Corned Beef, Thousand Island Dressing, Pickled Red Cabbage and a Rye Curl) - from the deconstructed dish obviously.
I actually got the last one ! It was just as delicious as I remembered from last year (although the beef did seem a bit overcooked but the majority of it was still good).

I actually only ate about half until a bug accidentally flew into it :hungover:
We debated about doing the scavenger map but decided against it and just walked around instead.
We got some photos along the way

I was pretty full already (this is also why we don't do super great with festivals because we can not eat a ton at one time) but I really wanted to try at least one more thing so I went with the Mosaic Canteen (Morocco).
I chose the Mediterranean Flatbread with Zaatar, Olive Oil Artichoke, Olives, Mozzarella and Feta Cheese

I could not eat a ton of it but it was delicious!

Next up: more Epcot

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
It was getting pretty hot out and our legs were pretty tired so we decided to make our way out
Of course this included some PP pictures

I mean.....can you walk by Germany and not get something ?
Sea salt caramel for my Mom and caramel popcorn for me. Usually that popcorn is really good but this time it was beyond stale and melted but I was full anyway so I really did not need it :hilarious:

Some pretty chalk art !

Next up: pool time

StitchSNK

Day 4 continued

Our first stop was Pop Arts
Here we got the Almond Frangipane Cake layered with Raspberry Jam and Callebaut Belgian Chocolate
View attachment 357684
This is how my Mom wanted to pose for this photo :happy:
View attachment 357686

I am still dreaming of that cake. I had it on my most recent trip and seriously wish I could find a recipe!! I am loving your TR!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
One of my favorite Disney foods! whatever cheese they use is sooo good.

Yes! I wish I knew what kind of cheese it is !

I am still dreaming of that cake. I had it on my most recent trip and seriously wish I could find a recipe!! I am loving your TR!

Thank you - and if you find it let me know ! I wish I had it again before we left! I may have to run a princess race again next year just to get the cake again :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
I had a bit of stuff to do for work so I did that quickly then we headed down to the Boulder Ridge pool.
We like to play a little game at the pool where we see if the waiter/waitress notices us and asks us if we want a drink. This turned into a thing after a trip several years ago when the waitress at the Grand Floridan pool (seemingly) purposely ignored us even after handing us menus. The day before at the Boulder Ridge pool the waiter again walked by us without even a glance in our direction. Obviously we could just ask for a drink but this is why we consider it a game :hilarious:. Anyway, the waiter immediately asked us if we wanted a drink today - winner! Of course this was the worst day to have one since I had a migraine but if it's offered we take it :joyfull:
My Mom had a Pina Colava and I had a Huckleberry Punch

We finally got hot enough to go into the pool. The zero entry pools are my favorite!

After our pool time we got dressed and headed to the bus so we could get back to Epcot.
My Mom and I were the only two on the bus so we spread out :hilarious:

Back to Epcot!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
Test Track was open so we headed over there to use a bonus FP

It was a slow pass again I think we waited 30 minutes

Oh I should mention I also got a pretty bad case of vertigo before Test Track but thankfully it went away fairly quickly. My brain was suffering today :joyfull: Again another reason I probably should have just declined the drink at the pool. :hilarious:
Another beautiful sunset!

Mexican Donald had a short wait so we stopped to meet him

We wandered our way over to Italy for dinner

When we were training for the 10K I would occasionally put on sorcerer radio. Well the day we ran 7 miles (better to over train than under) a bunch of songs came on from the Italy pavilion. We both said --- ohhhh Via Napoli we must eat there (wishing we could eat there right that minute) so I booked this reservation that day :) Italian dinner number 2 in a row :)

Next up: more VN

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued

Our view

Bread to start

Something in me felt the need to order an appetizer since we were just sharing an individual pizza so we got the caprese

Then we shared an individual pepperoni pizza

Ok...you guys know I am always going against everyone who hates Via Napoli as I am strongly in the love catrogory of this restaurant. However, this trip was not good. The caprese was not very good, the pizza was just OK and it was loud in there - like way more than usual. I'm sure some of it had to do with this table across from us who could not control (or didn't even try) their children. Usually I wouldn't comment but honestly they were screaming about everything, running around, touching other people's tables and leaning over to the table next to them while they were eating. It was nuts!
Anyway, we were pretty disappointed this trip and we will likely take a break before going back.
After our dinner we headed out towards the exit.

Next up: finishing the day

blreinsel

Ohhhhh---- cool!!!!! I've seen them use regular boats for the Pirates Pals Cruise before too! On a side note have you guys ever done a private fireworks cruise?

As Jeff said, the Illuminations cruise was incredible! I’m doing the HEA cruise in May for my bachelorette party and I’m super excited! There’s 10 of us going and I think it was like $359 or something like that? So with a bunch of people, the price is actually very reasonable. 😊

We had done an Illuminations Fireworks cruise last year. I would definitely recommend it. I actually want to do a MK fireworks cruise next. They provide snacks and sodas (or pops for you western NYers), and have blankets on board. You can place an order for real food and beverages if you want. The boats leave from the Yacht Club and cruise down to DHS and back before heading to Epcot. There they tie all the cruise boats together for the show. That part isn't that great as the show isn't really that "private". The best part is that it's one price for the boat, so you can have as many as 16 (I think) people. When we did our cruise, it was just my wife and me and my aunt. Since we had more room, we had @blgauger and Dylan join us. Had a great time!!!
A great time indeed! 🤗 We’re forever grateful for the invitation!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
As Jeff said, the Illuminations cruise was incredible! I’m doing the HEA cruise in May for my bachelorette party and I’m super excited! There’s 10 of us going and I think it was like $359 or something like that? So with a bunch of people, the price is actually very reasonable. 😊

A great time indeed! 🤗 We’re forever grateful for the invitation!

hmmm.....maybe I should invite you guys for my Mom's B.Day one :hilarious:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
February 26, 2019 Day 5
We got up around 7, got ready and headed down to Roaring Fork for breakfast
I got a kids meal waffles which came with a drink and a side. So much food with kids meals!

My Mom got the adult waffles just so she could get the strawberries and whipped cream

We headed to the bus and soon enough we were at the AK!

Oh hey ... this is new

We decided to see if we could rope drop Navi River Journey. It was listed as a 20 minute wait but we only waited 9 :)
Lots of lights along the way

I actually like Navi River Journey I find it to be pretty relaxing!
Then we wandered around Pandora

Next up: more AK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
After our fantastic ride we spent a bit more time in Pandora

The guy with the suit was out

Oh...my Mom and I finally tried a Night Blossom

Yum! Not sure why it took us so long to try one!
After this we finally left Pandora :)
We got a PP picture with the new Lion King thing

Then we headed towards Everest

Next up: more AK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom