Trip Report *COMPLETED* Most Magical 5th Birthday! - Jan '24 at the Poly

I thought I'd do at least one more trip report during our year of having annual passes and work is way more chill in the winter than it will be after our May trip, so here ya go!

DisneyJan2024-25.jpg

Who: LP, me and R.
Why: LP's 5th birthday!
Where: the Poly (plus a day at a random Marriot)
When: Jan 14-18

Flickr (my photo storage site) is giving me fits right now, so once that's solved, I'll report on our adventures.

Minnie1986

Monday 1/15

First photo as a 5 year old! She was up nice and early, which is typical. As usual, R and I slept terribly, but we were excited to celebrate LP's birthday!

She had chosen Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom for the places she wanted to go. I think she wanted MK first, but I didn't want to deal with parking and stuff so HS was much easier to start with. Plus I wanted to take her on Rise of the Resistance for the first time!

Walking in at 8:12am. There weren't very many cars in the parking lot yet, so that was promising. We moved through bag check and tapstiles and by 8:21am we were here -

Early entry officially started at 8:30, and we started making our way back to Galaxy's Edge.

Want to guess what happened next :rolleyes: Rise was down. I knew this was probably the only shot we had this trip as the line would be way too long once it came back up (I was right), so we sadly had to just give up on riding it this trip. Maybe next time. I think it came back online about an hour after park opening, but I never saw the wait less than an hour, which is about my threshold for waiting.

We kept walking and entered Toy Story Land.

So our first ride of the day was the saucers!

LP really enjoys this one, I think it's pretty fun too!

We tried talking her into Slinky Dog Dash, but she didn't want to do it. We did it in May but she said it's too tall, so we may try again in a few more trips.

Toy Story Mania was I think a 25 minute wait, but only took us 15. The park was opening as we were getting on.

She likes to ride most things with R.

Ok now I don't know if R was pulling my leg or what (he tends to do that) but he said he had the exact same score as me! Because he told me he got best in vehicle, and I argued that I had best in vehicle. He of course doesn't have photo proof because the man has taken a grand total of 6 pictures in his whole life :facepalm:

Hopped in line for MMRR because I figured that was the last ride we'd do there. The line was long, I think maybe 40 minutes? But I had a little bag of goodies for LP to open. She seemed to only care about the toy I put in there this trip. Each day, she barely acknowledged the snacks.

We did wait about 40 minutes, but soon were ready to board!

Brought her ear covers for a few things, including MMRR. This ride is very loud! Maybe it's not noticeable to most, but she seems sensitive to that, and I also noticed last time that it's much louder than other rides. The ear covers helped a lot!

I think we did Muppet Vision 3D next, which would explain why I have this picture. R doesn't care for that show, but I had to introduce LP to it! She liked it.

R went off to get the stroller. Since she's getting bigger, we would bring it and park it somewhere but often went from place to place without it. It was nice to have for when she started getting tired though. It's a lot of walking for little legs!

LP had been begging all morning to get a toy. She got $100 for Christmas and it was burning a hole in her pocket! We headed to the shops and she picked out an Asha doll. Has she seen the movie? Nope? Doesn't matter, haha.

We also got her birthday button and the CM gave me an "I'm celebrating" one too. I very very lazily cloned (in lightroom so it doesn't work that well) out her name on our buttons, so if they look weird, that's why.

Up next - lunch
She got to celebrate her golden birthday in Disney; how cool!!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Tuesday 1/16

We woke up around 7 and got ready. I had bought a bottle of iced coffee and oat pods for my morning (and sometimes afternoon) coffee, so I pitter-pattered down to the ice machine to get ice and prepare my coffee. I used to always use the in-room coffee maker, but I've seen enough people talk about how gross they are that I skip them now.

I enjoyed my coffee on the balcony and read a little of my book while LP ate breakfast and watched a little Bluey. Eventually we were all ready and headed out the door. I can't recall the time, but we walked to the TTC to get on the monorail there instead of riding all the way around the resort line.

On the monorail to Epcot, the family with us was chit chatting with each other and the mom was explaining that there were two rides inside "the ball." A fast one and a slow one. Either she was confusing it with mission space or she thought they'd added Guardians of the Galaxy to Spaceship Earth? I don't know, I just grinned to myself.

We barely made it in during early entry, but we ended up here at Frozen Ever After a couple minutes before 9.

Wearing her crown today. We only waited about 25 minutes, so not terrible!

She wore her ear covers even though I assured her it wasn't a loud ride. Me and R got wet butts on this one! Which was no fun since it wasn't hot out and it took forever to dry.

I felt really bad because LP had specifically mentioned wanting to meet Anna and Elsa but the line was close to an hour every time we were in the area! And I'm sorry, but no. We've met them and that line moves excruciatingly slow. I just couldn't do it this time.

Instead we backtracked to Mexico.

We rode Gran Fiesta Tour, a family fav, and stopped by the kidcot table. I'm not entirely clear on how that works...we just got a bag with something in it, maybe a little thing to color? But that's the only time we stopped at one so I never figured out what we were supposed to do.

As we were headed back to the front of the park (LP had been asking to ride SE since we walked in) we saw Asha meeting. Since LP was still walking around with her Asha doll, she wanted to stop and meet her. We barely made it, they closed the line after us. Whew!

I got into a conversation with the family in front of us and they were super nice! We got to talking about logistics of them getting to the Contemporary. They thought their travel agent booked them an in-park meal each day, but that day their meal was at Chef Mickey's. After explaining how to monorail there, I thought to ask if they have a car, and they did :facepalm: So I insisted they drive there. Much quicker!

Asha was so sweet! She chatted with her for quite a bit. After that, we made our way to SE.

There was a little bit of a wait, like 15 minutes, but I think it was posted 25. I don't typically like to wait for this one, but LP insisted.

We enjoyed it as usual! It stopped several times, longer than a normal stoppage for assisting people on and off, so not sure what was up.

Next we stumbled upon Pluto. Again we were the last to get to meet him, this time because it started raining.

Up next: Festival of the Arts

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Tuesday 1/16

What great timing that we were headed to enjoy some Festival of the Arts food right as it started raining :rolleyes:

We grabbed a Figment scavenger hunt too so we could look for the paintings along the way. We headed off toward Canada and stopped at that booth.

• Roasted Bone Marrow with onion marmalade, pickled mushrooms, and petite lettuce — $10.50
  • Wild Mushroom Risotto with truffle shavings and zinfandel reduction (Plant-based Item) — $9.75
  • Whole Hog Brewery Raspberry Chéret Double Radler – 6 oz $5.75 / 12 oz $9.75
The bone marrow was interesting. I don't love the texture, but the taste of the marmalade was great. The risotto was nice! And the double radler was pretty good.

I didn't get a picture but we got the brie bread bowl in France, which was DELICIOUS! LP even ate some of that one. She also enjoyed some of the dessert we got: Molten Valrhona chocolate cake, hazelnut crunch, and mango-raspberry coulis.

Next was the item I was most excited about! It was at Vibrante and Vividi

Chorizo and Potato Empanada with turmeric aïoli and annatto aïoli. It was so good! Great flavor, plus it was nice and fresh for us.

I wish Jasmine had been meeting when we were walking around Morocco looking for the Figment art. We didn't get to meet as many characters as I was hoping to, but I didn't really plan that well.

In Japan we got the Wagyu Bun (Steamed bun filled with American wagyu beef served with green shiso sauce) and Ichigo Mochi – Daifuku (Daifuku mochi filled with fresh strawberry, sweet azuki bean paste, and white chocolate served with strawberry cream)

I loved the Waygu bun!! R did as well. The mochi I got mainly out of curiosity, and I didn't hate it, but I don't think it's something I'd get again. I like the flavors quite a bit, but the mochi texture wasn't my favorite. I like doughy stuff normally, but not so much with this. I love mochi ice cream, so I'm glad I tried it!

It was still raining on and off. Makes it tough to enjoy the festival food.

We spent some time inside Mitsukoshi. Is it just me or has that store gotten more expensive?! Has it always been like that? Me and R noticed it in November. A tiny little Pokemon stuffy for like $40. Insane!

Anyway, we didn't buy any stuffies, but we finally did Pick a Pearl! LP seemed to enjoy it and I thought it was such a cute show and LP picked out the $6 bottle of purple sand to put her pearl in instead of a $50 necklace, so I was happy.

When we reached America, it was really starting to come down more. R got in line for some food and I grabbed us a table. We ended up sharing our table with a few different people since the rain drove more folks under cover.

• Duck and Dumplings: Smoked duck breast, ricotta dumplings, baby vegetables, and duck jus – $7.25
  • Hummingbird Cake: Banana and pecan cake dipped in cream cheese icing with caramel sauce and warm pineapple compote – $4.75
Both were great! We also got the Brew Hub Jazzberry Wheat Jam Ale.

We headed the rest of the way around WS but we took a break from the scavenger hunt and snacking. I thought we'd come back later and finish, but we never did. Thankfully I'd gotten the prize when we bought it!

I'd gotten a VQ for Guardians, but R said he didn't care to ride because he didn't want to mess with rider switch. I was determined to ride, I love it! So we were going that way.

Caught the Jammitors!

I went off to ride and R took LP over to ride Nemo. I waited probably 45 minutes in the VQ and I got Disco Inferno for my song. I never get my photo on this one, and I didn't ask for it. Photopass is good about finding them though, if you're ever in that situation!

They had a good time on Nemo and in the aquarium! I should have told him to take her through Journey of Water, but we never took her through there. Thankfully we'll be back again soonish! And it'll be warmer then.

We did some shopping and LP picked out some ears she'd been eyeing and a Minnie Mouse plush. I think it might be one of those weighted ones.

We left after that.

Up next: Poly time!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Tuesday 1/16

I forgot if I mentioned we had a Garden Grill reservation this evening. As we were leaving Epcot, we were discussing the rest of the day and LP seemed really interested in swimming. So we decided to cancel GG and figure out dinner later.

Me and LP got in our suits and headed down to the pool. It was too chilly for my liking, but the things we do for the little ones!

We got in the main pool first and floated around. I never could convince her to do the slide. She did the one at Wilderness Lodge, but we had a friend with us then, so I was able to walk her up the first time to get her over her nervousness. Someone has to be at the bottom to catch her so I couldn't go up with her. She's a great swimmer, but I'm not comfy letting her slide without me at the bottom quite yet since she doesn't wear floatation devices.

We did the splash pad for a bit and I sat with two towels covering me up, haha

Went back and forth a couple of times and eventually R came down to sit with me.

Discovered I might need to get a magic band if we're going to swim on all our trips because I had to depend on a nice CM to open the gate for me since the room key on my phone doesn't work for that. At the very least I need to get a room key card from the desk.

LP did the slides on the splash pad a ton, and eventually we had to drag her out of there. She was shivering but having so much fun!! We looked and there were Garden Grill reservations still (it's not popular at all, it seems) so we thought what the heck. Let's go back to Epcot.

LP's new ears came with us. I hate them, sorry. They're just not my particular style...but she loves them!

I had the bright idea to try riding Soarin' before dinner. It was going to be a tight squeeze on time, but I figured given how many reservations were available, it would be fine to be a little late. We ended up waiting about 20 minutes, and LP was a little nervous. She was so brave though! I was glad we were able to do this as a new ride for the trip since we didn't get to do Big Thunder or Rise.

She kept leaning forward to look around and I was trying not to freak out. She was loving it! It was more fun watching her than watching the ride.

We were a few minutes late, but not too bad. We got seated quickly and our server came around and explained the family style meal to us. The characters started coming by soon and we got our cornbread and salad. I forgot to take any food photos!!

All four characters came by twice while we were eating and we weren't even there that long! We made one rotation around. LP thought it was so cool that it "spins." The food was fine, nothing to write home about. We had plenty and only ordered more of one thing (steak of course). I was THRILLED when I noticed the server didn't charge us for LP. He could see that all she ate was some mac n cheese haha. They brought her a little cupcake, which was nice. We didn't end up eating it, but we took it with us so they wouldn't know :joyfull:

We moseyed on out of Epcot after dinner and got to bed when we got back to the Poly.

Up next: MK day

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Wednesday 1/17

We were up at our customary 6:50ish

The sunrise was lovely!

This was a cold day! I can't remember how cold it was first thing, but the high was in the 50s. We bundled up as best we could. I don't know why, but I don't know how to act when it's chilly at Disney World! If it's not 98 degrees, I don't know what to do.

I don't recall what time we go in, but I could tell it would be a busy day. I'd debated getting Genie+ and ultimately went for it, plus I got a LL for 7 Dwarfs so it was an expensive morning! Tell me why I bought G+ and then hopped in the shower?! It was 7:15 before I made a LL and Peter Pan was booked way out by then, so we decided to rope drop that.

It was about 9:15 before we got on (40ish minute wait, I think). It's not one we do normally, but LP likes it and rope drop is about the only time we can handle the wait time, so it's worth it!

Our first LL was to meet some princesses, so we did that next.

Rapunzel talked to her about those wild ears :hilarious:

Can I take a second to whine about my little princess not wanting to wear princess dresses anymore?! I didn't know what to do with her when she was super girly, but now I miss that phase.

After this we hit up the carousel. R hit up the restroom!

As we were getting off the carousel, we saw the step sisters about to get on and ride with a sweet little girl in a wheelchair. They were really giving her a ton of attention and it was the sweetest thing!! LP wanted to watch them ride the carousel so we stood there and watched. R was confused about where we were, but we found each other.

After the carousel we decided to do Philharmagic, which LP had never seen.

I noticed after I took this picture that those girls have the cutest outfits! That blue sweater is super cute.

LP enjoyed the show, as did I. After we got out, we headed over to Adventureland

Up next: more MK

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Wednesday 1/17

Got stopped by a cavalcade

We were pretty far back, but LP was waving at every character. I know I'm biased, but she's the cutest :inlove:

We had booked a Pirates LL. I was being polite and letting the family in front of us figure out how to scan and another family pushed past us and used the second tap station (even though this family in front of us had just realized they could use both :banghead:) I get it, you want to be efficient, but pushing through people is not a good look. The cast members usually help guide people to the second tap-in, but whatever. It bugged me and then we had to be behind those people in the line.

I guess we didn't get a photo. Anyway after that we were hungry and Tortuga Tavern was the only close thing we could agree on. We got a hot dog for LP and a slaw dog for me and R to share.

I had to take a photo of my expression as I was looking around at all the people. MK was very people-y this day!

Next we had to do one of my favorite shows for the last time. First and last for LP :arghh:

Tried to take a cute picture of LP with the sign but she wouldn't cooperate. She had no problem photo-bombing mine though.

RIP

Next we had a LL for Haunted Mansion

Another camera fail

Right before we hopped on the ride, @Tuvalu and @riverside let me know they'd be outside CHH when we got done!

We chatted for a few minutes until LP was whispering "can we go?" to me :hilarious: 5 year olds don't get chick chatting! It was so nice to see some forum friends! This wasn't my first time meeting either of them, and it felt like seeing some long-time friends :inlove: I think the last time Tuvalu saw LP was when she was an infant and basically screamed for the whole trip. So I was glad she got to see her happy side!

Our next LL was for Little Mermaid

Had to do the Woody wave!

Up next: More MK

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Wednesday 1/17
Next was our LL for 7 Dwarfs. The line for the LL was super long. I think we waited over 20 minutes, even for that! Hate to think how long the regular line waited, I can't remember the wait time. LP rode with me this time.

I don't know why I don't have the other photo. I just love how excited she gets on this ride! It's so stinking adorable.

After this we decided R would hop over to Epcot to try a few more Festival of the Arts offerings while me and LP rode some more rides. I've been to Festival of the Arts several times, but I wanted R to enjoy all that it had to offer. I was planning for me and LP to meet him over there later, but spoiler alert, that didn't happen.

Me, LP, and Minnie Mouse rode Dumbo.

Next we headed to the Teacups. I was basically just getting whatever I could with Genie+ with a quick return time.

Don't tell R, but I really enjoy our time just the two of us :inlove:

After Teacups, we grabbed a snack at Cheshire Cafe

An unbirthday cupcake

Cheshire Cat Tail (one of my favs!)

And hot coffee. How often is it that you can get hot coffee at WDW without being miserable?

We crossed the park back over to Fantasyland. Hit up the Tangled Toilets first.

Up next: Finishing Up MK

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Wednesday 1/17

I'm pretty sure we rode It's a Small World. I can't think of another reason we would have gone back over to Fantasyland, and I know for sure we rode it. I just have no pictures! I do remember when we were about to board, I was looking for another LL and as we moved up to be next for the boat, I reached out and made sure LP knew to stop. The man next to me said something like "I was about to stop her" ...like she wasn't going to stop? She knew to stop. I don't know, something about the way he said it rubbed me the wrong way. I know I was looking at my phone, which I HATE, but tis the way of things with Genie+. But I was also paying attention to what we were doing. Anyway, I wanted to just say "mind ya bizness!" but I chuckled and said "it's ok, she knows how this works!"

We headed over to Tomorrowland next for a crowd fav. I made the mistake of going through the castle to the hub and ran smack into a WALL OF HUMANS. When I first rounded the corner past the stage, it felt apocalyptic. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on, but it dawned on me that the parade was coming soon. It was shoulder to shoulder, no pathway. Eventually a cast member was able to get people through one-way, but there were also people coming the other way. It was an absolute nightmare. I was very thankful for the stroller, even though it was a hinderance. If LP has been trying to walk with me through that, I would have been a nervous wreck.

As I finally broke through the other side, I hollered over my shoulder "y'all the parade is cute, but it ain't THAT cute!" :hilarious: Like WHYYYY. Watch it on youtube! Nothing is worth that nonsense.

Happiness!

Silly faces galore!

Oh hello wall of people that almost gave me a panic attack!

Up next: Actually the last of MK

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Wednesday 1/17

Next up was another first for LP

And because she's my child, she enjoyed it :inlove:

To my dismay, LP had noticed the Speedway during our Peoplemover ride and requested that we ride. This would be both of our first time!

Lucky R got out of it by being on his Epcot outing :rolleyes:

Driving is serious business!

Oh man, she LOVED it. The fumes make me nauseous, but it's worth it to make this cute one happy.

Headed out!

Ok I didn't know this would be the last bit of park time we had this trip, but it was. We decided to just have dinner at the Poly and watch fireworks from there. I thought about going to Epcot solo, but it just didn't seem worth it.

We met up with R at the TTC and walked over to the Poly. In our room we ordered dinner at Capn Cooks and headed over. It took FOREVER!!! I think I remember this happening before, we need to just avoid mobile order here from now on, I think.

I love the pulled pork nachos there though. R got some kind of noodles and LP had chicken noodle soup.

After dinner me and R got drinks at Tambu Lounge and chilled in the lobby.

like daughter...

like father...

Well we know where she gets it!!

\

This is what I get when LP gets a hold of my phone...

About 10 minutes until 8, we headed down to the beach. There were a couple of beach chairs next to a nice couple. They were not saving them, so we pulled them up by the water and sat down to watch the show.

It was sooooo cold. We brought the blanket from the room down with us, thankfully, and it helped! LP didn't need the ear covers, but they made her comfy, so I was more than happy for her to wear them. I loved watching HEA like this! The music is the part I love so much, and they play it there on the beach, so it was just so magical. The perfect way to end our trip!

Up next: headed home

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Thursday 1/18

We slept in just a tad this day, but not much! We just took it easy and ate breakfast in the room. Enjoyed the balcony as much as possible.

We got all packed up and said goodbye to our beloved balloon

And our beloved room :cry:

That's the last picture I have!! We loaded up the car and drove to the airport. Stopped at a WaWa to fill up, and had no issues with getting through security or to our gate.

When we got back to Memphis it was sleeting. After all the snow Sunday, it had been below freezing every day, then the ice on top of that just made it worse. I was VERY worried about getting home. It was super cold when we got to my car and thankfully it started up. R drove us home and just took it very slow on the road to our neighborhood. Got us into our neighborhood and in our driveway. We luckily had no damage from the freeze! We'd drained the pipes when we left, and when we turned our well back on, all was...well :hilarious:

Unfortunately that didn't last! We just had a toilet leak last weekend that had apparently been going on for a while and we had our entire guest bathroom demoed today. So that's been interesting.

But aside from that, life is good and we can't wait for our next WDW trip!! Thank you all for following along :inlove:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@sheriffwoody -- what can I say? Thank you, for another outstanding TR!!! 🥰

Your amazing photographic skills added additional interest, to your daily impressions of the parks, family, friends, food, etc. Glad that LP had a fun 5th birthday in the happiest place on earth, and that the entire family had an enjoyable vacation!

Captain Barbossa

I can add LP turning 5 to the very short list of things that genuinely make me feel old lol. Like others have mentioned, it feels like it was just yesterday when you posted your ultrasound picture in TSL! And now she’s 5?! 🤯 Glad y’all had a good time! LP is beyond adorable, and while I’m sure it drove you crazy, I loved her photo antics. :hilarious: She also seemed to enjoy every attraction y’all did, which is great. Thanks for sharing this one!

fractal

Wednesday 1/17
Next was our LL for 7 Dwarfs. The line for the LL was super long. I think we waited over 20 minutes, even for that! Hate to think how long the regular line waited, I can't remember the wait time. LP rode with me this time.

I don't know why I don't have the other photo. I just love how excited she gets on this ride! It's so stinking adorable.

After this we decided R would hop over to Epcot to try a few more Festival of the Arts offerings while me and LP rode some more rides. I've been to Festival of the Arts several times, but I wanted R to enjoy all that it had to offer. I was planning for me and LP to meet him over there later, but spoiler alert, that didn't happen.

Me, LP, and Minnie Mouse rode Dumbo.

Next we headed to the Teacups. I was basically just getting whatever I could with Genie+ with a quick return time.

Don't tell R, but I really enjoy our time just the two of us :inlove:

After Teacups, we grabbed a snack at Cheshire Cafe

An unbirthday cupcake

Cheshire Cat Tail (one of my favs!)

And hot coffee. How often is it that you can get hot coffee at WDW without being miserable?

We crossed the park back over to Fantasyland. Hit up the Tangled Toilets first.

Up next: Finishing Up MK

What a cutie patootie!

You ended getting some great photos that I'm sure you'll be looking back at for many years. I think some core memories were made here.

thanks for the report!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom