Trip Report *COMPLETED* Most Magical 5th Birthday! - Jan '24 at the Poly

I thought I'd do at least one more trip report during our year of having annual passes and work is way more chill in the winter than it will be after our May trip, so here ya go!

DisneyJan2024-25.jpg

Who: LP, me and R.
Why: LP's 5th birthday!
Where: the Poly (plus a day at a random Marriot)
When: Jan 14-18

Flickr (my photo storage site) is giving me fits right now, so once that's solved, I'll report on our adventures.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Monday 1/15

First photo as a 5 year old! She was up nice and early, which is typical. As usual, R and I slept terribly, but we were excited to celebrate LP's birthday!

She had chosen Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom for the places she wanted to go. I think she wanted MK first, but I didn't want to deal with parking and stuff so HS was much easier to start with. Plus I wanted to take her on Rise of the Resistance for the first time!

Walking in at 8:12am. There weren't very many cars in the parking lot yet, so that was promising. We moved through bag check and tapstiles and by 8:21am we were here -

Early entry officially started at 8:30, and we started making our way back to Galaxy's Edge.

Want to guess what happened next :rolleyes: Rise was down. I knew this was probably the only shot we had this trip as the line would be way too long once it came back up (I was right), so we sadly had to just give up on riding it this trip. Maybe next time. I think it came back online about an hour after park opening, but I never saw the wait less than an hour, which is about my threshold for waiting.

We kept walking and entered Toy Story Land.

So our first ride of the day was the saucers!

LP really enjoys this one, I think it's pretty fun too!

We tried talking her into Slinky Dog Dash, but she didn't want to do it. We did it in May but she said it's too tall, so we may try again in a few more trips.

Toy Story Mania was I think a 25 minute wait, but only took us 15. The park was opening as we were getting on.

She likes to ride most things with R.

Ok now I don't know if R was pulling my leg or what (he tends to do that) but he said he had the exact same score as me! Because he told me he got best in vehicle, and I argued that I had best in vehicle. He of course doesn't have photo proof because the man has taken a grand total of 6 pictures in his whole life :facepalm:

Hopped in line for MMRR because I figured that was the last ride we'd do there. The line was long, I think maybe 40 minutes? But I had a little bag of goodies for LP to open. She seemed to only care about the toy I put in there this trip. Each day, she barely acknowledged the snacks.

We did wait about 40 minutes, but soon were ready to board!

Brought her ear covers for a few things, including MMRR. This ride is very loud! Maybe it's not noticeable to most, but she seems sensitive to that, and I also noticed last time that it's much louder than other rides. The ear covers helped a lot!

I think we did Muppet Vision 3D next, which would explain why I have this picture. R doesn't care for that show, but I had to introduce LP to it! She liked it.

R went off to get the stroller. Since she's getting bigger, we would bring it and park it somewhere but often went from place to place without it. It was nice to have for when she started getting tired though. It's a lot of walking for little legs!

LP had been begging all morning to get a toy. She got $100 for Christmas and it was burning a hole in her pocket! We headed to the shops and she picked out an Asha doll. Has she seen the movie? Nope? Doesn't matter, haha.

We also got her birthday button and the CM gave me an "I'm celebrating" one too. I very very lazily cloned (in lightroom so it doesn't work that well) out her name on our buttons, so if they look weird, that's why.

Up next - lunch

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Monday 1/15

I'd been wanting to try something at ABC Commissary so we went there for lunch. Our mobile order was ready pretty quickly since they'd just opened.

Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich. YUM. I really enjoyed it and felt it was worth all the hype I've heard. R had port carnitas tacos and he enjoyed them. LP had a ham and cheese, which she actually ate a good bit of! We also got a dessert that I forgot to get a picture of. It was a mint chocolate chip cheesecake. It was decent!

We sat right next to the drink machine, which I enjoyed because I could fill our water cups up 10 times. Gotta stay hydrated!

Headed out of the park after this. I walked through the stores on the left as you head out, and I wanted SEVERAL things, but I kept my cool.

Got coffee with lunch, which was my first coffee of the day at 11:30am :oops: It's a miracle I survived. I felt the headache coming on around 10, but it never got bad.

We made a Publix run and then went to the Poly. We left the luggage in the car and went in to get on the monorail to MK since our room wasn't ready yet.

The cast member gave LP two leis when we walked in, one for her and one for her doll. So sweet!

Bathroom break in the always-crowded hallway

Here we gooooo!

The face I saw during 75% of this trip :hilarious:

We made it! It was about 1:20 at this point. Will I get a normal smiley photo?

Slightly. haha

Up next: MK

donaldtoo

Alright got Flickr sorted, so let's go! I'm with you all, I can't believe it's been 5 years already :cry:

Some pre-trip info:

We had planned to leave Monday, Jan 15, which is LP's birthday. Well about a week before the trip, I happened to notice there was snow in the forecast for Monday. Now sometimes that means nothing, but I was a bit worried since Tennessee doesn't handle snow well. They do a pretty good job with the interstate, but the neighborhood and the road we take to the highway takes forever to clear. I didn't want to get stuck!

Months before Southwest had altered the times for our flight, so I was able to move us to a Sunday flight without paying the difference. Yay! I also found a night at a Courtyard Marriott near Disney Springs for $50 + 13000 points. I happened to have just the right amount of Marriott points already! For those who care, I did NOT transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Marriott as I've been told that's a horrible redemption :hilarious: But I had points from previous cash stays.

We also decided to cancel Mears Connect and rent a car as I didn't want to deal with ride share and moving hotels.

Sunday 1/14

We packed up, turned our well off and drained the pipes (because it was going to be below 20 degrees basically the entire time we were gone!) Despite that precaution, I was worried about our house the whole time we were gone 😣

We hit the road about 9am and made good time to the airport. It was already very cold out, and they had the top level of the parking garage closed. Thankfully I found a spot on one of the middle levels.

My big girl with her suitcase :cry:

We decided to bring our car seat and that thing is HEAVY. I carried it like a backpack and once we checked it and I put my regular backpack on, I felt like I was going to fly away it was so light.

Unfortunately our flight was delayed about an hour because it was coming from Chicago which had some rough weather. We also couldn't get Chickfila (basically the only decent food at the airport, even though it's a brand new terminal) because it was Sunday. But there's a little play area that kept LP busy for a bit.

The first of many....unique....expressions you will see from my child.

Took off around 1pm and it was starting to snow as we taxied down the runway!

The pilot was giving out little wings pins (stickers?) and a little coloring activity booklet as we boarded so she enjoyed doing that for a while. It's nice now that she's older, I can actually read on the plane again instead of tending to her the whole time. She still wants to switch activities every 5 minutes, but it's better than it used to be for sure!

Made it!

There was this other family on our plane that I'd chatted with at the play area in the airport. They were also going to Disney and ended up sitting next to us on the plane. We weren't like chatting a ton or anything, just pleasantries. When we were getting our car seat and stroller from the oversized bag area, I asked the wife if I could make sure the one she grabbed was hers because our bag looked the same. And I noticed their last name is my maiden name! So weird! It's not a super common name either. She didn't really react so of course I was like dang this woman probably thinks I'm an insane person just making up commonalities to relate...I don't know, my brain always tells me people think I'm a weirdo :hilarious:🤪

We got a Hyundai Santa Fe. I liked it! Other than the push button gear shift. Gross. It just didn't feel right.

Made it to our hotel with plenty of traffic. Dropped our things off and thankfully my mobile key worked so I didn't have to go to the desk. We packed what we needed for that night in our backpacks so we didn't have to drag our big bag up. We quickly got back in the car and headed to Disney Springs for some food.

It was chilly!

Our child takes after me and gets hangry. She was past the point of no return and I'm not proud of how mean we got with her when she refused to eat because she didn't like where we went. If I remember right, that was the only time we had any issues! She is quite an agreeable kid but can be very whiny. The whiny kid + hangry parents was a bad combo. But we got her to eat her chicken nuggets and fries and everyone cheered up.

We ate at D-Luxe burger and both got a bacon cheeseburger (I think?). I thought it was pretty good. R said it was just ok, so I guess he's pickier than me. I really wanted to walk around some, maybe get a sweet treat, but LP was done after a travel day and late-ish dinner. So we headed right on back.

I had to make a trip down to the car when I realized her pjs were in the big suitcase, and thankfully I thought to stop at the desk and see if I needed a parking pass. I did! So I hung that on the rearview mirror and we didn't get towed.

Last photo as a 4 year old :cry:

Up next: My baby is 5!!

Yep, they grow so fast…it happened with our 3 kiddos (@wdisney9000 😁), and now our 2 granddaughters…don’t blink…!!! 😉

I remember back in the day when we used to fly, they gave me actual metal wings that I pinned to my Navy Blue blazer…no TSSFF (T-shirts, shorts and flip flops 😉) on flights back then…!!!!! :hilarious:

My Moms maiden name and our last name are extremely uncommon Czech names, so I would be that “weirdo” too, if I ever saw them on someone else’s luggage or heard them brought up in a conversation…!!!!! 😂

donaldtoo

Monday 1/15

First photo as a 5 year old! She was up nice and early, which is typical. As usual, R and I slept terribly, but we were excited to celebrate LP's birthday!

She had chosen Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom for the places she wanted to go. I think she wanted MK first, but I didn't want to deal with parking and stuff so HS was much easier to start with. Plus I wanted to take her on Rise of the Resistance for the first time!

Walking in at 8:12am. There weren't very many cars in the parking lot yet, so that was promising. We moved through bag check and tapstiles and by 8:21am we were here -

Early entry officially started at 8:30, and we started making our way back to Galaxy's Edge.

Want to guess what happened next :rolleyes: Rise was down. I knew this was probably the only shot we had this trip as the line would be way too long once it came back up (I was right), so we sadly had to just give up on riding it this trip. Maybe next time. I think it came back online about an hour after park opening, but I never saw the wait less than an hour, which is about my threshold for waiting.

We kept walking and entered Toy Story Land.

So our first ride of the day was the saucers!

LP really enjoys this one, I think it's pretty fun too!

We tried talking her into Slinky Dog Dash, but she didn't want to do it. We did it in May but she said it's too tall, so we may try again in a few more trips.

Toy Story Mania was I think a 25 minute wait, but only took us 15. The park was opening as we were getting on.

She likes to ride most things with R.

Ok now I don't know if R was pulling my leg or what (he tends to do that) but he said he had the exact same score as me! Because he told me he got best in vehicle, and I argued that I had best in vehicle. He of course doesn't have photo proof because the man has taken a grand total of 6 pictures in his whole life :facepalm:

Hopped in line for MMRR because I figured that was the last ride we'd do there. The line was long, I think maybe 40 minutes? But I had a little bag of goodies for LP to open. She seemed to only care about the toy I put in there this trip. Each day, she barely acknowledged the snacks.

We did wait about 40 minutes, but soon were ready to board!

Brought her ear covers for a few things, including MMRR. This ride is very loud! Maybe it's not noticeable to most, but she seems sensitive to that, and I also noticed last time that it's much louder than other rides. The ear covers helped a lot!

I think we did Muppet Vision 3D next, which would explain why I have this picture. R doesn't care for that show, but I had to introduce LP to it! She liked it.

R went off to get the stroller. Since she's getting bigger, we would bring it and park it somewhere but often went from place to place without it. It was nice to have for when she started getting tired though. It's a lot of walking for little legs!

LP had been begging all morning to get a toy. She got $100 for Christmas and it was burning a hole in her pocket! We headed to the shops and she picked out an Asha doll. Has she seen the movie? Nope? Doesn't matter, haha.

We also got her birthday button and the CM gave me an "I'm celebrating" one too. I very very lazily cloned (in lightroom so it doesn't work that well) out her name on our buttons, so if they look weird, that's why.

Up next - lunch

Yay for 5…!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Happy belated birthday to LP…!!! 🎂:)

Sorry about Rise, but, glad y’all got to enjoy the Saucers…!!! :)

The part about “…the man has taken a grand total of 6 pictures in his whole life” cracked me up…!!!!! :hilarious:

Megan and Daniel brought ear covers for Emmy and Audrey on our trip, but, I only recall them wearing them for MK fireworks the night of Emmy’s 5th birthday.
I remember thinkin’ “WTH…?!?!?! The fireworks noise is half the fun…!!!!!” Again, I thought it, but, I didn’t say it…Megan and Daniel are their parents, not us, and we’re not “those” grandparents…!!! ;)
Also, I thought of my Pops hearing loss over the years from using so many power tools without ear protection…although, he is also 91+ years old now, so there’s that…!!!!! :hilarious:

donaldtoo

I’ve been a lurker for years and I can’t believe she is 5! She is so adorable!!!

Thanks for sharing your trip!!! We’re planning our little one’s 5th bday trip for December so I’m so excited to see how things went for you guys and get some ideas as well!

I hope y’all have an awesome time for y’all’s little ones 5th birthday trip, as well…!!! :)

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member

Oh lil BES and DH definitely noticed it. I’ll have to look into ear covers for next trip.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
I’ve been a lurker for years and I can’t believe she is 5! She is so adorable!!!

Thanks for sharing your trip!!! We’re planning our little one’s 5th bday trip for December so I’m so excited to see how things went for you guys and get some ideas as well!

Have so much fun!!

A little late to the party, but, in and following…! 🙂
You might recall, we’re the family that celebrated our granddaughter Emory’s (Emmy) 5th birthday at WDW back in October…!!! ☺️
Goin’ back to “ketchup” now, and lookin’ forward to the rest…!!! 🙂

Of course I remember!! I loved that report since we were getting ready to do our own 5th birthday trip. So fun seeing others having the same celebrations!

What a cutie you've got!
Get used to weird photo faces. That doesn't get better 🤣

This report is bringing back sweet memories of my first trip to Disney when my daughter was 5. 😭

Looking forward to more!

Hahah yeah I don't see the silliness changing at any point. R and I are EXTREMELY silly at home so she gets it honest. We act right in public at least :hilarious:

Yay for 5…!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Happy belated birthday to LP…!!! 🎂:)

Sorry about Rise, but, glad y’all got to enjoy the Saucers…!!! :)

The part about “…the man has taken a grand total of 6 pictures in his whole life” cracked me up…!!!!! :hilarious:

Megan and Daniel brought ear covers for Emmy and Audrey on our trip, but, I only recall them wearing them for MK fireworks the night of Emmy’s 5th birthday.
I remember thinkin’ “WTH…?!?!?! The fireworks noise is half the fun…!!!!!” Again, I thought it, but, I didn’t say it…Megan and Daniel are their parents, not us, and we’re not “those” grandparents…!!! ;)
Also, I thought of my Pops hearing loss over the years from using so many power tools without ear protection…although, he is also 91+ years old now, so there’s that…!!!!! :hilarious:

I noticed her sensitivity to loud sound back a few trips ago. She started covering her ears on rides, and she got actively upset on a few like MMRR and Remy's. Of course we also have to cover her ears in the bathroom and avoid the air dryers like the plague :hilarious: She ended up wearing the ear covers at times when it wasn't really loud, but I think it helped her not be as nervous anticipating the unknown. She doesn't really need them at home (except at the one middle school basketball game we went to!) which is good because I would never be able to keep up with them!

I definitely have some hearing loss from concerts over the years! Between going to concerts a lot in college and standing up by the stage and shooting events for work for 15 years and having to stand inches from the speakers, I've done some damage :in pain:

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Monday 1/15

She said she definitely wanted to meet Mickey, so we decided to hit that up first. The wait was only about 20 minutes, I believe. But we saw someone else meeting on the way in!

Such a cute interaction! I believe they talked about Mushu baking her a cake. Maybe a chocolate one? But we decided he would probably end up eating it all. It was a nice little surprise meeting! I was glad because I knew she wanted to see princesses, but it was crowded and waits were high.

She looks very unenthused. She clams up with characters even though she is SUPER pumped before she goes up to them. She just stares at them and never talks :hilarious:

A lot of the characters and CMs would comment that she was "a whole hand" when we said she was 5. But with Mickey it's more than one hand!

I never look at the right spot. I hate the dang box cameras.

The number 1 thing she wanted out of this trip was a balloon. She's been asking for one every trip for maybe 2 years? I always say no because they're expensive, you can't take them home, they're ANNOYING, and did I mention expensive?

It was absolutely worth it to see her so happy though!

Took this one just to remember this moment walking down Main St. with my happy family but if you zoom in, both of them look SO SOUR :hilarious: They weren't, but I caught a moment.

Up next: More MK

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Monday 1/15

We did a little solo shoot with the balloon. I did kind of wish I'd brought my camera at this point, but oh well.

Not sure why I even attempted a selfie with this goofball

A little more normal but of course portrait mode didn't work on that one, ha!

We asked LP to take a picture of me and R "in front of the castle." She took that a bit too literally...

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Our objective was Haunted Mansion because my kid is cool like me and knows which rides are the best. On the way over, the Friendship Faire show was starting. We stopped over to the left of the castle (at that rope they have up) and watched it. I LOVE that show, so it was fun watching it with her.

"Will you take a picture with me?" Proceeds to try to eat my face. That tracks.

Again wishing I had my camera! I have taken some pretty good shots of this show. Back in my pre-kid days when I always had my camera and a couple of lenses.

I think the HM line was 40 minutes, which I hate, but I'd missed in on our last trip and I was dying (hehe) to ride again. It started raining while we were queueing up. We had jackets and we donned them for the wait. Once we got under the awning we were able to take them off.

Once I realized Big Thunder was down a couple days later, I was sad we didn't ride it this day, but then I remembered this is what it looked like 🌧️

There was this couple behind us that kind of scooted up next to us to get away from the edge where it was dripping. He made a comment that they weren't trying to cut...then proceeded to get in front of us :facepalm: Whatever it's just two people. He did eventually notice and told us to get back in front of them.

I always fail trying to find the camera. I tell myself "look further left than you think" then proceed to look further right. Every time.

Up next: More MK

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Monday 1/15
7 Dwarfs had been down since we got there (which is why didn't go there first, because if I'm being honest, that's actually LP's fav). We noticed it was back and only 25 minutes!!! LET'S GOOOOO!

It was still 25 when we got in line, but shortly after it jumped to 40, then 50. I believe we ended up waiting an hour.

WORTH IT. She loves it so much, I love hearing her scream and go "woooooooo!!!" the whole time. So stinkin cute!

Ok I lazily "healed" the faces of the other people in Lightroom because the guy beside me was making the absolute dumbest face. It stole attention from my little princess, so I just decapitated him :hilarious:

I could have just used a brush and blurred them now that I'm thinking about it, but the headless bodies kind of crack me up.

After that, R had to visit the restroom and I took LP over to the Carousel. We were actually able to walk right in, but when she went to get on a horse, someone else jumped on it. So we kept walked around and didn't really see any more. We just asked the CM if we could wait for the next ride. LP must have looked sad because he offered for her to be able to ride twice.

Hey I'll take it!

Soon we got on and she wanted me to ride next to her

I felt a little awkward just not getting off after the first ride. I was hoping the CM hadn't forgotten. Eventually the next round loaded up and we were off for round two

Another photo shoot with the balloon

R said he saw the step sisters meeting over by the fountain so we went off that way. Unfortunately their line was closed, so we kept moving.

And got more photos with the balloon...

Our room was ready at this point so we decided to head out.

At some point we'd discussed dinner and I looked through reservations. We decided to go to Kona since we were staying at the Poly. We've only been there for breakfast, which was years ago.

Took the monorail over to the Poly and went to our room to check it out. We were in Fiji. I got worried when I saw it was the building beside the new awful eyesore tower. Thankfully our room faced the marina, so no construction view! At first I thought maybe they weren't filling those rooms, but I definitely heard people behind those doors a few times and saw one guy come out of a room across from us. I would be so upset if I had a view of the construction with Poly prices!

Our lovely travel agent had some sweet cookies delivered for LP's birthday

We had us a little snack! I kind of like doing everything myself, but I have an acquaintance/casual friend who became an agent somewhat recently, and she's honestly so sweet and kind and I just wanted to support her. This was a perfect time to use her services because I used a bounce back offer for this booking. Using an agent meant I didn't have to call or visit the desk to book it. She called a couple days after we got back from our August trip and got us booked.

A couple of bad phone photos of the room for you

Up next: Dinner and end of day 1

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Monday 1/15
I went down to the car and got as much of the luggage/groceries as I could. I got A LOT and I got myself a little workout dragging it all to the room. I think all I couldn't get was the waters and R's backpack. I do wish I could have done this without going through the main building but a CM told me there wasn't a way to bypass it so I took her word for it. It seemed like there might have been a path, but it could have put me on the road, who knows.

While R went back for the rest, me and LP enjoyed the sunset.

Soon we headed over to our dinner reservation.

I can't remember if this was the spicy tuna or hamachi tuna. I am leaning toward hamachi. Either way, it was good. Way too expensive, but it's Disney.

I didn't take pictures but me and R got drinks. He got a Hawaiian mule and I got a sunset margarita.

I had a turkey banh mi. It was good but needed more of the mayo. It was dryyyyy. I mean it's turkey...give me all the sauce!

R's rainbow poke. The intention was to split these. So I ate half my sandwich, him half his bowl, then we switched. We could have shared one entree I think.

LP had mac n cheese...a staple in her diet.

Our server was...ok. I think she must have been distracted. She did seem more attentive toward the end of the meal, so I figure she was overloaded or just had a tough table in the beginning.

Oh related to that, it was weird being asked if we were on the dining plan again! Feels like the good ole days, a little bit.

We headed back to the room and got LP ready for bed. I thought me or R might go to a park, I think Epcot had evening hours, but neither of us felt like it. We just went to bed early with LP. I am never sad about that, I love an early bedtime!

Up next: Epcot

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Again wishing I had my camera! I have taken some pretty good shots of this show. Back in my pre-kid days when I always had my camera and a couple of lenses.

You nailed composition, captured the moment, told the story, and handled anything else in post. I had a conversation recently with an accomplished photojournalist, and their point was that some of their best work was capturing the moment with their phone while being in the moment. I always appreciate your photos, and your daughter is insanely adorable.

Prayers sent for R when she’s old enough to start dating!;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom