Trip Report *COMPLETED* Most Magical 5th Birthday! - Jan '24 at the Poly

I thought I'd do at least one more trip report during our year of having annual passes and work is way more chill in the winter than it will be after our May trip, so here ya go!

DisneyJan2024-25.jpg

Who: LP, me and R.
Why: LP's 5th birthday!
Where: the Poly (plus a day at a random Marriot)
When: Jan 14-18

Flickr (my photo storage site) is giving me fits right now, so once that's solved, I'll report on our adventures.

RememberWhen

LP is so sweet! What a fantastic birthday trip. ❤️ Thank you for sharing with us!

When we let the kids get a balloon (we try to avoid it, but sometimes they make their cute face and we’re suckers) we have them find someone to give it to on our last day. It’s fun to make a little magic for another family and helps the kids feel less sad about leaving it.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
View attachment 767701

The eye roll!! 🤣🤣🤣

Yes, LP was in a much better mood this visit than when I first met her as an infant. (Although technically I first met her in utero at the Beach Club. 😉)

I recognized your room view from Fiji. I stayed in #3311 back in August 2018.

I’m sure this shocks you.

Hahaha doesn't shock me at all!! I loved that room, I'd be thrilled to get it again. The one you were in at the Boardwalk was one floor above where we were. And now I can't recall if we were on the right or left-most room, but same general area! I spent a TON of time on that balcony, it was so perfect. And it smelled good with the bakery below. Not sure that would be the same with it being a deli now :hilarious:

LP is so sweet! What a fantastic birthday trip. ❤️ Thank you for sharing with us!

When we let the kids get a balloon (we try to avoid it, but sometimes they make their cute face and we’re suckers) we have them find someone to give it to on our last day. It’s fun to make a little magic for another family and helps the kids feel less sad about leaving it.

That was my plan! But then the balloon annoyed the ever-loving-crap out of me during the duration of our trip and I didn't want to cause issues if I gave it to someone who hates balloons. I know people could just decline but I am the kind of person who wouldn't decline (especially if my kid had already seen it). Also if someone declined, I would be so embarrassed :hilarious: And this is a very good example of my personality - overthinker. We left it in the room, so maybe mousekeeping got to enjoy it for the day.

donaldtoo

Of course I remember!! I loved that report since we were getting ready to do our own 5th birthday trip. So fun seeing others having the same celebrations!

I noticed her sensitivity to loud sound back a few trips ago. She started covering her ears on rides, and she got actively upset on a few like MMRR and Remy's. Of course we also have to cover her ears in the bathroom and avoid the air dryers like the plague :hilarious: She ended up wearing the ear covers at times when it wasn't really loud, but I think it helped her not be as nervous anticipating the unknown. She doesn't really need them at home (except at the one middle school basketball game we went to!) which is good because I would never be able to keep up with them!

I definitely have some hearing loss from concerts over the years! Between going to concerts a lot in college and standing up by the stage and shooting events for work for 15 years and having to stand inches from the speakers, I've done some damage :in pain:

Back to “ketchupping” ;), so a lot of likes comin’ down the pike…!!! :D

Thanks, I figured you did remember, but, I never assume anything…!!! ;)

As far as the hearing loss goes…
I have some, but, it’s not really bad (as far as I know…?!!!!! :hilarious:).
I went to my first concert back in ‘78 when I was in high school. It was Boston here in Austin. I remember leavin’ it with my ears ringin’, even though we were up in the mezzanine. 🙃
Many concerts since then, but, none in recent years, and most of the last ones were country music concerts like George Strait, Alan Jackson, etc., as my wife is a big country music fan.
Back then, I also had a buddy that had a seriously bad*** stereo in his Trans Am…no distortion, no rattling, etc., but, darn it was loud…!!!!! o_O😅
He played nothin’ but hard-drivin’ rock. I always ended up in the back seat, because another friend always called shotgun, and I always tried to duck my head below the package tray as far as possible, as to not get directly blasted by the rear speakers, but, yes, jingle ears all the way …!!!!! :hilarious:

Anyway, enjoyin’, and goin’ back for more “ketchup”…!!! :)

donaldtoo

Monday 1/15

She said she definitely wanted to meet Mickey, so we decided to hit that up first. The wait was only about 20 minutes, I believe. But we saw someone else meeting on the way in!

Such a cute interaction! I believe they talked about Mushu baking her a cake. Maybe a chocolate one? But we decided he would probably end up eating it all. It was a nice little surprise meeting! I was glad because I knew she wanted to see princesses, but it was crowded and waits were high.

She looks very unenthused. She clams up with characters even though she is SUPER pumped before she goes up to them. She just stares at them and never talks :hilarious:

A lot of the characters and CMs would comment that she was "a whole hand" when we said she was 5. But with Mickey it's more than one hand!

I never look at the right spot. I hate the dang box cameras.

The number 1 thing she wanted out of this trip was a balloon. She's been asking for one every trip for maybe 2 years? I always say no because they're expensive, you can't take them home, they're ANNOYING, and did I mention expensive?

It was absolutely worth it to see her so happy though!

Took this one just to remember this moment walking down Main St. with my happy family but if you zoom in, both of them look SO SOUR :hilarious: They weren't, but I caught a moment.

Up next: More MK

The Mickey needing to use more than 1 hand for 5 part gave me a good chuckle…!!!!! :hilarious:

John Dulmage

Monday 1/15

I'd been wanting to try something at ABC Commissary so we went there for lunch. Our mobile order was ready pretty quickly since they'd just opened.

Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich. YUM. I really enjoyed it and felt it was worth all the hype I've heard. R had port carnitas tacos and he enjoyed them. LP had a ham and cheese, which she actually ate a good bit of! We also got a dessert that I forgot to get a picture of. It was a mint chocolate chip cheesecake. It was decent!

We sat right next to the drink machine, which I enjoyed because I could fill our water cups up 10 times. Gotta stay hydrated!

Headed out of the park after this. I walked through the stores on the left as you head out, and I wanted SEVERAL things, but I kept my cool.

Got coffee with lunch, which was my first coffee of the day at 11:30am :oops: It's a miracle I survived. I felt the headache coming on around 10, but it never got bad.

We made a Publix run and then went to the Poly. We left the luggage in the car and went in to get on the monorail to MK since our room wasn't ready yet.

The cast member gave LP two leis when we walked in, one for her and one for her doll. So sweet!

Bathroom break in the always-crowded hallway

Here we gooooo!

The face I saw during 75% of this trip :hilarious:

We made it! It was about 1:20 at this point. Will I get a normal smiley photo?

Slightly. haha

Up next: MK
So did you get the buffalo chicken grilled cheese based on the recommendation from Mike on the BOGP podcast? He’s always going on and on about it!

donaldtoo

Monday 1/15
7 Dwarfs had been down since we got there (which is why didn't go there first, because if I'm being honest, that's actually LP's fav). We noticed it was back and only 25 minutes!!! LET'S GOOOOO!

It was still 25 when we got in line, but shortly after it jumped to 40, then 50. I believe we ended up waiting an hour.

WORTH IT. She loves it so much, I love hearing her scream and go "woooooooo!!!" the whole time. So stinkin cute!

Ok I lazily "healed" the faces of the other people in Lightroom because the guy beside me was making the absolute dumbest face. It stole attention from my little princess, so I just decapitated him :hilarious:

I could have just used a brush and blurred them now that I'm thinking about it, but the headless bodies kind of crack me up.

After that, R had to visit the restroom and I took LP over to the Carousel. We were actually able to walk right in, but when she went to get on a horse, someone else jumped on it. So we kept walked around and didn't really see any more. We just asked the CM if we could wait for the next ride. LP must have looked sad because he offered for her to be able to ride twice.

Hey I'll take it!

Soon we got on and she wanted me to ride next to her

I felt a little awkward just not getting off after the first ride. I was hoping the CM hadn't forgotten. Eventually the next round loaded up and we were off for round two

Another photo shoot with the balloon

R said he saw the step sisters meeting over by the fountain so we went off that way. Unfortunately their line was closed, so we kept moving.

And got more photos with the balloon...

Our room was ready at this point so we decided to head out.

At some point we'd discussed dinner and I looked through reservations. We decided to go to Kona since we were staying at the Poly. We've only been there for breakfast, which was years ago.

Took the monorail over to the Poly and went to our room to check it out. We were in Fiji. I got worried when I saw it was the building beside the new awful eyesore tower. Thankfully our room faced the marina, so no construction view! At first I thought maybe they weren't filling those rooms, but I definitely heard people behind those doors a few times and saw one guy come out of a room across from us. I would be so upset if I had a view of the construction with Poly prices!

Our lovely travel agent had some sweet cookies delivered for LP's birthday

We had us a little snack! I kind of like doing everything myself, but I have an acquaintance/casual friend who became an agent somewhat recently, and she's honestly so sweet and kind and I just wanted to support her. This was a perfect time to use her services because I used a bounce back offer for this booking. Using an agent meant I didn't have to call or visit the desk to book it. She called a couple days after we got back from our August trip and got us booked.

A couple of bad phone photos of the room for you

Up next: Dinner and end of day 1

Your “decapitation” pics from 7DMT remind me of scenes from “Mars Attacks” and “The Mummy”…!!!!! :hilarious:

donaldtoo

You nailed composition, captured the moment, told the story, and handled anything else in post. I had a conversation recently with an accomplished photojournalist, and their point was that some of their best work was capturing the moment with their phone while being in the moment. I always appreciate your photos, and your daughter is insanely adorable.

Prayers sent for R when she’s old enough to start dating!;)

Yea, I remember when our oldest DD first started dating, and I was very nice, because I trusted her, but, I also had my own thoughts about those suitors.
Fortunately, but, as expected ;), she married a guy that is an unfailingly good husband and father…!!!!! :happy:

Sillysidewalker

Thank you for sharing! I love seeing your food, photos and LP growing up. We need to learn how to do these shorter trips. It seems like you have mastered enjoying your favorites and not feeling rushed to squeeze everything in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom