Trip Report *COMPLETE* Remind Me Again Why We Agreed To Do This...Our runDisney 2020 Trip Report

Hello All!

I hope 2020 is starting off well for everyone so far. Kelly and I, along with some friends of ours, just returned from our most recent visit to WDW and I am very excited to share in our different, but amazing, Disney experience.

For those of you who may have been following along with the pre-trip report (feel free to read up on all the planning if you'd like), you will know that this trip was nearly a year in the making and something we had never done before for a couple of different reasons. First, we had never even considered a WDW trip centred around a runDisney event and second, we have never done a WDW trip without the kids since they were born.

So, without further delay, let's get to it!

THE WARM-UP

As I mentioned, the possibility of this type of trip was discussed quite some time ago. I have been running almost obsessively for just over two years now and 2019 was the year in which I finally felt ready to start registering for some races, not just casual runs on my own. With a couple of recent visits to the World in 2017, and a few more in 2018, I really started to take notice of all the dedicated running trails in and around the resorts and learned more and more about the runDisney events and community.

I didn't realize just how big the community really is until I took a deeper dive into a number of blogs, podcasts, websites, and Instagram accounts. I was really intrigued and figured a potential runDisney event would be the perfect way to tie my passion for Disney together with my new found passion for running. Originally, I was thinking maybe 2021 as the point I would commit to my first half marathon but with my progress and after some discussion with Kelly, we decided we might as well see if we could make 2020 work.

With that, in late 2018, we both agreed that we would do everything we could to add the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend in 2020 to our travel schedule. I was beyond pumped and while we couldn't really do much of the planning just yet, I was really starting to kick my training into high gear.

We happened to be having dinner with friends of ours, Mike and Kerri, in January 2019 who are also big Disney fans and have kids a few years younger than Ella and Lennon. I've known my best friend Mike since grade 10 when we first started playing hockey together. We served as the best man at each of our weddings and have been very close for nearly 20 years. When the topic of this trip was brought up, we jokingly said that they should join us and to our shocking surprise, they said they would. While Mike has really committed himself to his health over the last five years, never in a million years would I think he'd agree to run a half marathon.

We left dinner thinking how cool it would be if they did in fact travel with us but in the back of our minds, I don't think we actually thought they would come. Days later they committed to coming so long as the timing worked and it was a suggestion from Kerri that the girls run the 5K which Kelly reluctantly agreed to! Once they made that decision, planning was in full swing!

THE ROSTER

Our roster of runners was now set and with all the planning, ADRs and FP+ bookings in the almost 12 months leading up to the trip, this is how things played out...

WHO: Kelly, Matt, Mike and Kerri
WHERE: Boulder Ridge Villas (deluxe studio) - Matt and Kelly
All-Star Music - Mike and Kerri
WHEN: January 7 - 12, 2020
WHY: Because we are idiots to consider running as a vacation

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Thanks so much for sharing your trip Matt. I always enjoy your general insights and to have the added bonus of yours and Kelly’s race experiences was great 🙂

Thanks very much for the kind words. It was really cool being able to share a new experience at the World with the races. Hopefully it's not the last time we (I, not sure if Kelly would be willing to run again!) get to runDisney!

This was such a fun one to read about! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks for following! Enjoying your Princess recap!

Great trip report! Thank you for sharing, so glad you guys are going back soon!

Thanks very much! We're just as glad. We have much to decide in the coming days but that's just all part of the fun!

Another enjoyable report! Looking forward to the next one!

Thanks a lot! I, too, look forward to sharing the next one, even if it's going to be a daunting trip to report back on. I better start thinking of ways to keep tabs of our days over the two weeks we will be there.

fractal

Awesome Report!

Sorry for being so late to the party - and what a party!

Congrats on Kelly and Kerri on the 5K and you and Mike on the 1/2! Always wanted to do a run at WDW. You are a very blessed man to have someone that you can share all this Disney love with!

Glad everyone liked Carousel of Progress! and Happy belated to Kelly.

Just a fun, fun all adult report. Love the pics and you have some really great ones of you and Kelly.

Thanks for sharing - looking forward to the next!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Thanks for keeping on writing them.. I always enjoy your reports!

Means a lot...thanks for such kind words.

You and Kelly earned your medals for this one! Thanks for sharing.

Kelly earns a medal every day for putting up with me but I was very proud of her accomplishments during this trip. It was truly my pleasure to share our experience.

Awesome Report!

Sorry for being so late to the party - and what a party!

Congrats on Kelly and Kerri on the 5K and you and Mike on the 1/2! Always wanted to do a run at WDW. You are a very blessed man to have someone that you can share all this Disney love with!

Glad everyone liked Carousel of Progress! and Happy belated to Kelly.

Just a fun, fun all adult report. Love the pics and you have some really great ones of you and Kelly.

Thanks for sharing - looking forward to the next!

No need to apologize! Thanks for jumping in...I'm always happy to have you on board!

I am very lucky to have someone that loves Disney just as much, if not more than I do. It's made for a blissful (nearly) 12 years of marriage so far.

It was a lot of fun to pull off this kid-free trip but I know Kelly was wishing they were there with us. Oh well, we will make up for it with this next trip!

Oh, and I'd highly recommend signing up for a run. It was so much fun!

Piglet_the_brave

I’ve really enjoyed following along with your report, it’s fun to read someone else’s perspective of the races.

I’d heard about some of the craziness on the roads on marathon day, I know a lot of people were complaining about arriving late and having to start with a corral later than the one they were assigned. Sounds like you were stuck in some of that.

Did I read that temperature right? -45C!!! How do you run when it’s like that, is it treadmill only? I was moaning about going back home to 0C

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Great report, as always!!!
Ummmm, regarding September😃....
giphy.gif

I will keep a look out 👀

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I’ve really enjoyed following along with your report, it’s fun to read someone else’s perspective of the races.

I’d heard about some of the craziness on the roads on marathon day, I know a lot of people were complaining about arriving late and having to start with a corral later than the one they were assigned. Sounds like you were stuck in some of that.

Did I read that temperature right? -45C!!! How do you run when it’s like that, is it treadmill only? I was moaning about going back home to 0C

Thanks very much for following! I really couldn’t have asked for a better introduction to the runDisney experience. I know Kelly wasn’t as keen on the racing as I was but even she seemed to really enjoy it and definitely got into it once those competitive juices got flowing.

We read a lot about the delays that happened the morning of the marathon while we waited for our first plane. Sounded like it was quite chaotic for a lot of runners just to get to the starting line. Even if we got caught up in a little delay to MCO, we got away unscathed. I woulda been upset as a runner to have everything thrown off like that.

I’ve caught the race bug now, that’s for sure. Officially signed up for my next half in mid-August and awaiting the registration date for a very popular 10k that takes place in July.

and yes, you read that right! We had two solid weeks, almost three, with weather that dipped below -40C everyday. Definitely made it tough to run outside so I resorted to lunch time runs on the treadmill until things got back to our average January temps. Not that it’s all that much warmer!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Great report, as always!!!
Ummmm, regarding September😃....
giphy.gif

I will keep a look out 👀
I really enjoyed reading your TR. glad you had a great experience worth your run, and congrats! Maybe we’ll run into you guys in September!

Thank you both very much! We really appreciate you taking time to follow along.

Our whole family is fired up for September. In fact, the debate on which park to visit first is in full swing.

I, too, hope we can cross paths when we’re there! Always fun to run into people from the WDWMagic family.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
CROSSING THE FINISH LINE WITH SOME FINAL THOUGHTS

I've said it a few times before but I'll say it again, it was so much fun for me to look back on this trip and pull details and talk about memorable moments that seem to fly by in the blink of an eye while we were actually on the trip. Thanks again to everyone who has followed along.

This was the first Disney trip that Kelly and I have taken without the kids and while it was hard not to have them there, it would have been even harder to manage everything if they were along for the ride. Being there on our own made handling the early mornings, the hours on the pavement and everything in between just a little easier.

I know a lot of the time the sentiment after a Disney visit is that you almost need a vacation from the vacation and that has never been truer after experiencing runDisney Marathon Week. I couldn't imagine what those Dopey runners must have felt like after all was said and done.

Because this was our first runDisney event, we really didn't know what to expect. I had read up on it as much as I could but that only gets you so far. Now that it is behind us, I can honestly say it was an absolute blast. I would do it again in a heartbeat and highly recommend it to anyone who is on the fence or debating about potentially signing up. Even if you are not a runner, these events really are the perfect place to join thousands of other Disney fans that want to experience something different. From my standpoint, signing up for the race months in advance provided me with so much motivation to ensure I was prepared as possible. Going to Disney actually helped get me in better shape and developed some routines that have helped me feel as good as I've felt in years. A definite win-win situation.

Plus, the running community, both here at home, online, and at Disney, is so welcoming. If you're thinking about it, go ahead and do it!

I thought all those Dopey runners were out of their minds but that community of runners has inspired me to train for my own Dopey at some point. Right now I'm aiming for 5 years down the road to celebrate my 40th birthday. I'd love to do it sooner but I have so much training to do to get ready for something so grueling and the Dopey Challenge is beyond expensive, especially for us Canadians with the exchange. That said, the internal countdown to 2025 has already started ticking!

From a resort standpoint, I was so pleased to be back at Wilderness Lodge. This will always be my home away from home when it comes to Disney and the additions to the grounds since our last stay have only made it better. I will say, if/when we return for a future runDisney event, I would likely bypass Wilderness Lodge simply for the hiccups with the traffic blockades. Sure, the delays we experienced weren't monumental, but could have been worse and likely would be minimized at a different resort. Aside from that, you just can't beat the entire package that WL has to offer. No better theming in a resort anywhere on the property, at least in my opinion.

From the park standpoint, of course, I would have loved to have more time to experience the parks but the time we did spend enjoying ourselves was time well spent. We had some hiccups right off the bat at EPCOT with attractions not operating at 100% and the construction is definitely making it a little more challenging, even more so these days compared to our January visit, but based on the plans that have been made public and thanks in large part to the EPCOT Experience, I am very excited to see these transformations take shape. We hope to visit during the 50th celebration in a few years and I can't wait to see how things have changes when everything is done.

It was awesome to see so much of the Christmas stuff still up as it added just a little extra magic. Crowds were busy but still manageable for the most part even if we did have to skip out on a few rides we really wanted to experience, HM especially. It did make me realize that we sometimes rely on Ella's guest assistance pass a little too often but at the same time, we also see it as one of the very few perks a life with diabetes has afforded us.

Finally, we really wanted to make sure we did the best job we could showing Mike and Kerri a good time while there were with us. We ate at some great restaurants and made some unreal memories, even if we were trying to squeeze in a little too much in our limited time. They are primarily Disneyland visitors and were planning a family trip to DL in the summer but to my surprise, two days after we returned from WDW, Mike told me they had booked a return trip for a week at the end of August. They loved it there and couldn't wait to take the kids. I guess we did enough to show them a good time! They are booked to head back to All-Star Music, have made their dining reservations, booked Magical Express and are patiently waiting for the 60 day FP window. Sounds like they might even be future DVC members. Now I just have to convince Mike to start training for the 2025 Dopey!

At the end of the day, as crazy as the trip was, it will be one of the Disney visits I'll look back on the most. We had so much fun and can't wait to return in September.

Thanks again for running alongside us throughout this report, even you crop top guy...

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
OMG - crop top guy has made me laugh again! Thanks for sharing 😉
Gotta give props to Crop Top Guy for wearing that in public!

My guy makes me laugh every time. Love that dude! Good on him for pulling it off, it was hot and everyone worked up quite a sweat so I can't blame him there. Certainly not something I'd ever attempt but to each their own!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom