Trip Report *COMPLETE* Remind Me Again Why We Agreed To Do This...Our runDisney 2020 Trip Report

Hello All!

I hope 2020 is starting off well for everyone so far. Kelly and I, along with some friends of ours, just returned from our most recent visit to WDW and I am very excited to share in our different, but amazing, Disney experience.

For those of you who may have been following along with the pre-trip report (feel free to read up on all the planning if you'd like), you will know that this trip was nearly a year in the making and something we had never done before for a couple of different reasons. First, we had never even considered a WDW trip centred around a runDisney event and second, we have never done a WDW trip without the kids since they were born.

So, without further delay, let's get to it!

THE WARM-UP

As I mentioned, the possibility of this type of trip was discussed quite some time ago. I have been running almost obsessively for just over two years now and 2019 was the year in which I finally felt ready to start registering for some races, not just casual runs on my own. With a couple of recent visits to the World in 2017, and a few more in 2018, I really started to take notice of all the dedicated running trails in and around the resorts and learned more and more about the runDisney events and community.

I didn't realize just how big the community really is until I took a deeper dive into a number of blogs, podcasts, websites, and Instagram accounts. I was really intrigued and figured a potential runDisney event would be the perfect way to tie my passion for Disney together with my new found passion for running. Originally, I was thinking maybe 2021 as the point I would commit to my first half marathon but with my progress and after some discussion with Kelly, we decided we might as well see if we could make 2020 work.

With that, in late 2018, we both agreed that we would do everything we could to add the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend in 2020 to our travel schedule. I was beyond pumped and while we couldn't really do much of the planning just yet, I was really starting to kick my training into high gear.

We happened to be having dinner with friends of ours, Mike and Kerri, in January 2019 who are also big Disney fans and have kids a few years younger than Ella and Lennon. I've known my best friend Mike since grade 10 when we first started playing hockey together. We served as the best man at each of our weddings and have been very close for nearly 20 years. When the topic of this trip was brought up, we jokingly said that they should join us and to our shocking surprise, they said they would. While Mike has really committed himself to his health over the last five years, never in a million years would I think he'd agree to run a half marathon.

We left dinner thinking how cool it would be if they did in fact travel with us but in the back of our minds, I don't think we actually thought they would come. Days later they committed to coming so long as the timing worked and it was a suggestion from Kerri that the girls run the 5K which Kelly reluctantly agreed to! Once they made that decision, planning was in full swing!

THE ROSTER

Our roster of runners was now set and with all the planning, ADRs and FP+ bookings in the almost 12 months leading up to the trip, this is how things played out...

WHO: Kelly, Matt, Mike and Kerri
WHERE: Boulder Ridge Villas (deluxe studio) - Matt and Kelly
All-Star Music - Mike and Kerri
WHEN: January 7 - 12, 2020
WHY: Because we are idiots to consider running as a vacation

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Thank you for sharing an absolutely wonderful TR!! It was so much fun & I'm looking forward to the next one!! Glad to hear you're doing a PRE-TR so soon!!

As for crop top guy----just when I thought I couldn't laugh at that anymore I totally cracked up when I read your comment/saw his pic again!! Thanks for the laugh!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Thank you for the very kind words! It really was a blast to share this trip with everyone. It does kinda feel odd to be done but thankfully I'll get to start up again very soon so stay tuned!

I love that Crop Top Guy has developed a bit of fanfare in this report. I laughed way too hard when I first saw those pics on the app. You never know what random things might create lasting memories!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Crop Top Guy 😂😂. I noticed he’s wearing a Dopey bib. I’d love to know what he wore for the marathon.

As you’re thinking of Dopey for a big birthday, can I suggest an addition to the celebration. The Castaway Cay challenge. The cruise straight after Dopey is so relaxing, and you get an extra 2 medals.

You raise a very good question! Now I am curious as well.

This is a darn good suggestion and one that Kelly might well get on board with. She has been pushing to do a Disney cruise and I would love to earn a few more medals.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I'm sorry it took me so long to read (it was mostly pre-race jitters) but great TR!! Thank you so much for sharing !!!!

No need to apologize! Thanks for reading along and congrats on your race! I know Kelly’s been following your report but I should be able to catch up now that I’ve got some extra time on my hands.

Songbird76

My guy makes me laugh every time. Love that dude! Good on him for pulling it off, it was hot and everyone worked up quite a sweat so I can't blame him there. Certainly not something I'd ever attempt but to each their own!
Crop top man is a bit disturbing, but hey, he ran a half marathon, which is something I'll probably never be able to do with my hip. No judgment here! Wear what makes you comfortable!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Crop top man is a bit disturbing, but hey, he ran a half marathon, which is something I'll probably never be able to do with my hip. No judgment here! Wear what makes you comfortable!

I tend to say more surprising than disturbing but you're 100% correct...that race was no joke! Whatever makes you most comfortable to get across that finish line is fine by me!

Really enjoyed following along! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your pre-trip report. We should be headed there too, but not till November.

Thanks for reading along! We really appreciate it.

I have been holding off on the pre-trip report given the current COVID-19 situation, but we've continued to plan our ADR's with the hopes that the visit will still be made. Certainly hoping that September is far enough out for things to return to "normal" but at this point in time, all we can do is wait and see.

It sounds like our province may be issuing a shelter in place order very soon so I might start on this report next week just to give myself a bit of a pick me up.

Should we get to go back as planned, I hope you guys have a great trip!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Kelly, someone posted this in another thread and I thought of you:

93102F5C-01DD-4BAE-A8E2-17C3365B88B0.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom