Comparing Disney's Hotels to UNI's latest

DanHat

The thing that simultaneously impresses/saddens me the most about Universal's new hotel is how classy and well-themed it manages to be, while still being the "value" option. At Disney's value resorts, you detect a very dramatic difference in the quality of "theming" (if you can call it that) and immersiveness between the value and moderate options. You can quite visibly sense the monetary difference in what you saved by opting for the cheaper option, and frustratingly, can also sense that Disney is talking down to its more budget-eering guests with a louder, dare I say tackier theme.

Meanwhile, Universal provides several excellent amenities that would make them desirable hotels regardless of price point, and all wrapped up in a true and genuine theme that is all at once stylish, fun, and even lightly lightly sophisticated. There is nothing at all tacky about Universal's value hotel; I would go as far to say it reinforces Universal's presence as a leader in thematic design. I wish Disney's value resorts were equally capable of both maintaining a sense of classiness and fun, while being (necessarily) more gently themed than their more deluxe counterparts.

I really like this and shared it at the bottom of our post (with a link back to the source) http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2013/cabana-bay-beach-resort-at-universal-orlando-details-revealed/.

If that is an issue with anyone, please let me know. Not trying to violate any rules :)

meganw1985

I hope it DOES put some pressure on the Disney hotels/property. The prices are Ri. Dic. U. Lous. $500+ for a STANDARD room is crazy no matter what resort it is. You can stay in Hawaii for cheaper than that! I would definitely consider staying at Uni. However, not for a week. I couldn't fill a whole week with WWOHP lol.

gboiler1

Help me out, perhaps I'm missing something but when I hear UO was adding a value resort I was thinking $85-$125 a night, not $245. In 2012 I wanted to stay at UO resorts, but that didn't work monetarily so we stayed at the Holiday Inn and bought front of line passes and it turned out cheaper than staying on site. Yes, I like staying at the nice places as much as anyone but spend more time in the parks because that's why we are there, so economical makes more sense.
We really enjoyed UO very much and will return when HP 2.0 is completed, but for us it's not the end destination as Disney is.
Make a truly affordable value resort and I'm all in though.

DougK

Completely agree. Poly, Wilderness Lodge, they draw me. Unfortunately the accomodations my family needs and the cost associated with that prevent me from staying at those hotels. Therefore, I settle on the All Stars ( as opposed to being drawn to the All Stars ).

And Disney doesn't care if you are drawn to the All Stars or settle for the All Stars, they only care that you PAY for the All Stars.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
Help me out, perhaps I'm missing something but when I hear UO was adding a value resort I was thinking $85-$125 a night, not $245

You're expecting a suite for $85 a night?

If you look at a STANDARD room (not suite) - from the original article quoted
"Standard rooms in the Tower will start at $164.00 per night in July 2014, but will ultimately drop as low as $119 per night."

Value is a relative term - and these are cheaper than the other hotels on property. It also is positioned higher than a motel you might hope to get offsite for $50-$100

DougK

Disney has been raising hotel prices for years but they used to be somewhat offset by the discounts that were available. Now the discounts are much harder to find and much lower. The $600 plus a night it costs to stay at the Polynesian for example is a bit easier to take when you are using a "Buy Four Get Three Free" promotion or a 45% Annual Passholders discount. Now you sometimes find a 5% (yes FIVE percent!) discount as your Annual Passholder rate. They do this by making the bigger discounts (no longer 40-45% but more like 10-30%) available only at SELECT resorts. For some reason they often don't SELECT the same resort I want to stay at!

I seriously think what they should do is eliminate the discount, eliminate EMH if they must and eliminate Fastpass + and just lower all of their hotel rates 50% permanently. The goodwill they would get, not to mention the occupancy increases (which equate to $$), would be amazing. Now this would only be feasible if their occupancy rates have dropped as much as most of us think they have but let's face it we don't really know the numbers. But Disney does know the statistics and if they thought about this proposal and studied it they might find it would work for them. People would line up to stay at the Polynesian for under $200 a night! Or a value for $39!

But of course I am probably only dreaming.

gboiler1

Thanks flynnibus, I wasn't thinking suite, so standard sounds like a winner!

So true that themeing is much better than the Holiday Inn. I'm hoping that UO will allow some front of the line pass options there too. At $119 I'll likely be a buyer. Shoot if the larger resorts get unlimited front of line then perhaps the value would get at least front of line once per day for all included attractions.

Animaniac93-98

I doubt Disney would ever lower their rates substantially. They proably make more selling $600 rooms at the Poly at 70% occupancy than $200 at 100%.

I understand that as a resort, occupancy means more to Disney as more people translates to additional spending on park tickets, food, merch and ancillary business, but I'm sure the DORM and his/her team know what they are doing, even if it still qualifies as poor value from an honest pricing perspective.

Animaniac93-98

Not how the game is played. People do pay the full rate. It annoys me to no end that everything Disney is some sort of a price game, discount here, discount there, way to much work to figure this all out and at the same time if you don't take the time to figure out the schemes you will be paying much more then others who get the exact same thing.

That's pretty much how the hotel industry works. Blame revenue management, but it has its benefits.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks flynnibus, I wasn't thinking suite, so standard sounds like a winner!

So true that themeing is much better than the Holiday Inn. I'm hoping that UO will allow some front of the line pass options there too. At $119 I'll likely be a buyer. Shoot if the larger resorts get unlimited front of line then perhaps the value would get at least front of line once per day for all included attractions.

Even a holiday Inn is going to cost you $100+ a night most likely. Think Motel 6, red roof, etc if you want sub $80 rates.

Since they've already posted their hotel info - I'd wager the no express pass is already decided :) For the price point I think they are worth it... express pass would be a bonus. For the other properties, the price vs 'need' isn't as balanced I think and express pass is the deal closer.

SecondStarTilMorning

There are plenty of affordable options right on disney property such as wyndham bonnet creek, hilton bonnet creek, and the waldorf. There's every conceivable type of hotel at every price point for those who want to visit Disney. I don't think Universal adding another hotel is going to really hurt Disney, because Disney already offers everything with the help of third parties.

Rhinos Rock!

If Disney World hotels were "stand alone" venues and not attached to theme parks, they'd be vacation spots all by themselves. The pools, restaurants, decor, etc. would qualify them as places people would go to and make a vacation out of.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
If Disney World hotels were "stand alone" venues and not attached to theme parks, they'd be vacation spots all by themselves. The pools, restaurants, decor, etc. would qualify them as places people would go to and make a vacation out of.

I'm not sure a foot court or oversized icons would make one of the Value resorts a destination onto itself....

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster

In 1975.. sure. But it's 2013.. you might want to get out more.

Paging @PhotoDave219 for his recent photo assortment to demonstrate that point :)

Rhinos Rock!

Have any of you ever actually enjoyed going to Disney World? Sadly I think that I've been there at the same time as some of you. You're the ones complaining about the cost of everything, complaining about the wait times, complaining about the transportation system, complaining about the heat and humidity, complaining about the crowds, standing at the Front Desk and in City Hall complaining about the towels and that some Cast Member didn't recognize your "importance" and complaining that Disney doesn't plant magic seeds every night that grow new thrill rides every single day.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Have any of you ever actually enjoyed going to Disney World? Sadly I think that I've been there at the same time as some of you. You're the ones complaining about the cost of everything, complaining about the wait times, complaining about the transportation system, complaining about the heat and humidity, complaining about the crowds, standing at the Front Desk and in City Hall complaining about the towels and that some Cast Member didn't recognize your "importance" and complaining that Disney doesn't plant magic seeds every night that grow new thrill rides every single day.

You're five posts in, and complaining about people having a differing opinion of WDW than you?

And I can't recall having done any of those. But then again, I knew the costs when I bought into DVC. Or when I purchased my Tables in Wonderland Card. Or my Annual Passes. Or.....

Get the picture? Perhaps there are complaints because people have invested much of their time and money into Walt Disney World, and inspect the same from them, outside of wrist bands and data mining.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You're five posts in, and complaining about people having a differing opinion of WDW than you?

And I can't recall having done any of those. But then again, I knew the costs when I bought into DVC. Or when I purchased my Tables in Wonderland Card. Or my Annual Passes. Or.....

Get the picture? Perhaps there are complaints because people have invested much of their time and money into Walt Disney World, and inspect the same from them, outside of wrist bands and data mining.

The best part of this is he has used 2 of those posts to ask the same condescending question.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia

First, welcome to wdwmagic. One of the greatest things about this site is that we talk about the good and the bad. Of course we enjoy WDW or we wouldn't be on here, but that doesn't mean its problems should not be noted and discussed.

@Genie of the Lamp I apologize for temporarily taking your job of welcoming new members. It won't happen again ;)

Rhinos Rock!

Oh me oh my. The "regulars" are upset. I find absolutely nothing about WDW to complain about. Then again, I don't go on vacations looking for reasons to be unhappy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom