News Coco scene coming to Mickey’s PhilharMagic in Disney World

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Video up on YouTube of the new scene from DCA, looks great.

(can’t share the source).
You can definitely see that it is newer and more advanced in terms of animation, but it isn’t distractingly different. This is a improvement to an already great show. My only question is, since DCA has the smaller screen for the video, do you think they are putting the touches on the larger display at MK, or just putting it off for the sake of the 50th?

Surferboy567

You can definitely see that it is newer and more advanced in terms of animation, but it isn’t distractingly different. This is a improvement to an already great show. My only question is, since DCA has the smaller screen for the video, do you think they are putting the touches on the larger display at MK, or just putting it off for the sake of the 50th?
Probably a bit of both

Disney Analyst

I do wonder if the base scene was done so they pushed that out, but still need to animate the extended screens?

Who knows. Maybe it’s all done but they are still trying to pad the 50th.

rio

I’m glad we’re getting a new scene! I’ve long thought that Maui’s “You’re Welcome” would be a fantastic replacement for “Be Our Guest”, but this works just as well!

Tom Morrow

I don't like it at all. There are so many more deserving songs and sequences, and the visuals don't seem to fit stylistically with the rest. All the original segments are either heavily stylized and/or animated in a way that puts the audience in the scene. This just looks like a scene lifted straight from the movie. Don't forget that the entire point of the attraction is to be a celebration of the most beloved Disney songs. Using a song that wasn't even one of the best songs from Coco makes no sense. But it was probably chosen because of
Inclusion.

Note: I loved the movie.

I’m glad we’re getting a new scene! I’ve long thought that Maui’s “You’re Welcome” would be a fantastic replacement for “Be Our Guest”, but this works just as well!

Absolutely! If they wanted a newer Disney hit that has no theme park representation, this seems like it should have been a no brainer! And, while a lot of people don't like this song and I would never expect it to make it in, you can't deny it would make a fun and flashy sequence:

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

It was all but inevitable that someone would turn this fun new addition into an excuse for a reactionary jab.

Explain how it makes sense to add in a song nobody cares about in an attraction specifically about the most beloved Disney songs. There are two possible explanations: either laziness, or to make a statement. I also addressed why I think it's a bad addition even ignoring the fact that it's a song no one cares about.

I'm not against inclusion of course, but making sure the parks are inclusive doesn't have to mean that new additions are void of consistency.

Be Our Guest
The Sorcerer's Apprentice/Fantasia
Part of Your World
I Just Can't Wait to Be King
You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!
A Whole New World

All songs that are synonymous with Disney, instantly recognizable, everyone knows them. Literally just reading the title you have the melody in your head.

Un Poco Loco

Uh... what was that from again?

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

IMO, it's far more likely that they wanted a permanent year-round Coco addition to DCA with the popularity of the Coco Halloween show and Phillarmagic fit that bill without being expensive like a new ride and they could easily add it into the other park's version of the show. Might be why DCA was the first to open.

Again I don't know and I'm just speculating here, but there's definitely more than two possible explanations for why they chose Coco over anything else.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Explain how it makes sense to add in a song nobody cares
Coco is the number one movie in Mexico of all time. It did very well in the rest of the world. It deserves inclusion because it's good and very popular. Mariachi Cobre uses that song as part of their repertoire.

Now, you explain how it is known that nobody cares about it.

Epcot82Guy

Overall I think it's nice and a great addition (at least in concept). I do agree the styling is quite different, putting you basically into the film observing a scene vs audience-focus. So I do see why people could say it feels weird or out of place.

I also like the song, though I think I would have chosen Mi Corazon personally. And it would have given the chance to visit both the world of the living and the dead. But mostly because I think it's more of an ear worm than Poco Loco.

dreday3

Explain how it makes sense to add in a song nobody cares about in an attraction specifically about the most beloved Disney songs. There are two possible explanations: either laziness, or to make a statement. I also addressed why I think it's a bad addition even ignoring the fact that it's a song no one cares about.

I'm not against inclusion of course, but making sure the parks are inclusive doesn't have to mean that new additions are void of consistency.

Be Our Guest
The Sorcerer's Apprentice/Fantasia
Part of Your World
I Just Can't Wait to Be King
You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!
A Whole New World

All songs that are synonymous with Disney, instantly recognizable, everyone knows them. Literally just reading the title you have the melody in your head.

Un Poco Loco

Uh... what was that from again?

Um, it's my ringtone...

I can tell you in my area we hear the Coco soundtrack being played in a lot of backyard summer BBQ's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom