CM Conduct

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Merlin said:
That seems pretty low. While I've occasionally made no secret about my opinions toward CMs with poor attitudes (I don't believe they represent the norm), I do believe this forum ought to be a "safe haven" for CMs to express their honest opinions.

It depends - it moreso lower-level managers with something stuck in their tush who try to fire folks over message boards. Aside from divulging confidential info, corporate usually wont touch it with a ten foot pole. Most try to say it's a conflict of interest - but that usually fails.

This comes from one of the few CM's who has ever recieved a formal apology (for the conduct of higher-ranking CM's) from Team Disney. :)

Metallica_Band

mousermerf said:
This comes from one of the few CM's who has ever recieved a formal apology (for the conduct of higher-ranking CM's) from Team Disney. :)
OH MAN!!! I'd have that framed and hung near the front door along with my voided checks! :lol::lol::lol:

SpongeScott

Original Poster
Metallica_Band said:
Ok...you're complaining about a cast member nudging a guest in order to ensure guest safety? Makes perfect sense to me :rolleyes:
Go back and read my first couple of posts. I was not complaining; I was simply looking for clarification on proper conduct of CM's. Guest safety was not an issue because the guest was not standing directly in front of the end of the escalator. It was more a matter of not following the request of the CM and then being nudged.

MagliteL13

Metallica_Band said:
Ok...you're complaining about a cast member nudging a guest in order to ensure guest safety? Makes perfect sense to me :rolleyes:

Not from what *I* was told...according to the Disney rules, you can't touch a guest in ANY a violent way...I'll even throw you a few hypothetical situations:

Let's say a guest starts a fight with a CM/guest. You are NOT allowed to get involved physically. You can NOT protect the CM/guest in any way. You are to tell a manager or Disney Security.

Alright, lets say a CM/guest starts a fight with YOU. You can NOT fight back (well at least with the guest part) to protect yourself. What do you gotta do according to the Disney rules? You gotta sit there getting your a55 kicked hoping for a guest, CM, or police to come to your aid.

Now even worse, let's say you see a girl getting pushed around/hit/physically abused. You can NOT come to her aid. What are you SUPPOSED to do according to Mickey's house rules? You are to go tell a manager or Disney security. And do you know what? THEY are ALSO Disney employees and are bound by Disney's laws. They are to contact the police. Now THEY can actually do something about the incident. If you get involved then you're as good as terminated.

The athorities go over Disney's rules as they are not Disney employees. So while the poor guest/CM is getting abused, a whole process has to occur before in order to get an actual police officer to the scene of the crime.

Now this is what I was told and what I understand about how CM's are to deal with violent situations involving guests or other CM's. Now if someone could clarify this for me, as I have a hard time believing what I just said, then please do. I would like to think that there was SOMETHING we could do to help the innocent guests/CM's.

Heh...Disney barely does ANY screening. Especially CP's. They practically hire you on the spot. Disney NEEDS more employees and they know it thus the vey easy acception.[/quote]

There are two different types of incidents here--safety and aggressive. If it's a safety thing (like pulling a child who was starting to fall in between the dock and the boat at Jungle Cruise or pushing someone back on to the dock because they're running at a moving boat) it's perfectly okay. Safety comes before courtesy and all other things. I'm not so sure about an aggressive incident, because the majority of people who try to get aggressive just want free stuff and it's much better and safer to just reason with them than start a fight. If guests and guests go at it, I'm personally not involved so I'll call Disney Security.

MagliteL13

SpongeScott said:
Go back and read my first couple of posts. I was not complaining; I was simply looking for clarification on proper conduct of CM's. Guest safety was not an issue because the guest was not standing directly in front of the end of the escalator. It was more a matter of not following the request of the CM and then being nudged.

If you're not a CM working in that area, you have no idea whether guest safety was involved. The people that come down to Shrunken Neds (by Jungle Cruise) to smoke have no idea that that's a huge issue. --Not just a courtesy thing.

ssidiouss@mac.c

Again,

This thread seems like a bunch of nonsense to me...

Seems the problems here were with rude guests.. not employees.

I for one am glad that some CMs tried to get the rude guests out of the way so others didnt have to have their magic ruined by them.

If some CM actually got in trouble for this mess it would be a shame... :hammer:

Maybe someone could lock this thread and throw away the key :sohappy:

SpongeScott

Original Poster
ssidiouss@mac.c said:
Again,

well, you're certainly the pot calling the kettle black on this one.

seems the problems here were with rude guests.. not employees.
first instance, no. second instance, sorta.

I for one am glad that some CMs tried to get the rude guests out of the way so others didnt have to have their magic ruined by them.
first instance, guest was not rude, he just didn't respond to the request of the CM, hence the nudge. Second instance, CM was much "ruder" than the guest with the snatching of the ticket and the ensuing conversation.

If some CM actually got in trouble for this mess it would be a shame... :hammer:
hard for you to say since you weren't there and no one will since I gave no specifics of dates and times.

talk to Steve.

robynchic

SpongeScott said:
well, you're certainly the pot calling the kettle black on this one.

first instance, no. second instance, sorta.

first instance, guest was not rude, he just didn't respond to the request of the CM, hence the nudge. Second instance, CM was much "ruder" than the guest with the snatching of the ticket and the ensuing conversation.

hard for you to say since you weren't there and no one will since I gave no specifics of dates and times.

talk to Steve.

Wow, that's a little harsh. And here you are, saying cast members are rude?

tigsmom

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
Again,

Seems the problems here were with rude guests.. not employees.

You have the option to ignore it. If the subject doesn't interest you just skip it, thats what I do.

Solace17

Are CMs aware of the all the security personnel? If I'm not mistaken, there are many that are plainclothed and thus CMs wouldn't know they were there, right? So how does a CM get the nearest available security person?

So is Metallica_Band right in saying that CMs just have to wait until someone with more authority comes to the rescue?

tigsmom

Solace17 said:
Are CMs aware of the all the security personnel? If I'm not mistaken, there are many that are plainclothed and thus CMs wouldn't know they were there, right? So how does a CM get the nearest available security person?

So is Metallica_Band right in saying that CMs just have to wait until someone with more authority comes to the rescue?

CMs cannot strike back or protect themselves even when attacked. They can be terminated if they do so.

robynchic

Solace17 said:

Plainclothes security personnel are not there to assist the kinds of situations that were mentioned. They deal with extreme cases, where they have to shed their cover for people's safety.
For instance, if someone were to maliciously punch a character in the head so hard that it seems that the character was dazed for a moment, then a plainclothed security officer might shed their cover.

Cynderella

I just got back about 2 weeks ago and we had 2 rather non disney like cast member experiences. The first one was while we were on a bus to Magic Kingdom. We were going to hop on the monorail to the Contemporary. Well my sister and 2 cousins had skirts on. We sat all the way in the back and my sister and cousins were facing forward w/ no other seats in front of them. Instead of turning the lights out during the trip like usual, he left the lights on the entire time and did nothing but stare back at them. Total Creep! The second instance came from my cousins who said they were in line for a ride ( I forget which one) and they were talking to one cm. They both like Volkswagons and the CM called them "Jewkillers" because they like a German car. I was definetly more shocked at the lack of "Disney" in the CM's this trip. It is going down hill fast...

Solace17

tigsmom said:
CMs cannot strike back or protect themselves even when attacked. They can be terminated if they do so.

I understand that part very well. I'm just curious about what a CM is allowed to do other than physical contact to a very violent guest while they wait for a security person to arrive. Or can they do nothing at all?

robynchic

Cynderella said:
The second instance came from my cousins who said they were in line for a ride ( I forget which one) and they were talking to one cm. They both like Volkswagons and the CM called them "Jewkillers" because they like a German car. I was definetly more shocked at the lack of "Disney" in the CM's this trip. It is going down hill fast...

How old are your cousins? It could be that they were fabricating that story, because that sounds really far fetched.

As for the skirts thing- how short were the skirts? Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying that they had to have been wearing short skirts, but there's also the question whether there were other circumstances that the lights were on. Also, how can you be sure he was staring at them? Unless he was facing you the entire time, to my recollection, there isn't a rearview mirror for them to be able to look. Going deeper, if my recollection is incorrect, then having people seated waaaay back there, he wouldn't be able to see the back of the bus in the rearview mirror anyway.

robynchic

Solace17 said:
I understand that part very well. I'm just curious about what a CM is allowed to do other than physical contact to a very violent guest while they wait for a security person to arrive. Or can they do nothing at all?
Nothing at all. The point that they strike back to the guest, there is a potential lawsuit (can we say deep pockets?). No one is allowed to retaliate. Safely restraining people is actually something that can be trained (in order to deal with autistic children that have temper tantrums, are head bangers, or otherwise act in a violent manner, in a classroom, the teacher's aide or the teacher has to be trained in restraint). You have the potential of injuring someone if you don't know how to properly restrain them.
The slightest twist of an arm could make a violent person sue. In fact, if the guest is really tense, the slightest twist or pull (no matter how accidental) could cause damage, such as a sprained limb.

Cynderella

robynchic said:
How old are your cousins? It could be that they were fabricating that story, because that sounds really far fetched.

As for the skirts thing- how short were the skirts? Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying that they had to have been wearing short skirts, but there's also the question whether there were other circumstances that the lights were on. Also, how can you be sure he was staring at them? Unless he was facing you the entire time, to my recollection, there isn't a rearview mirror for them to be able to look. Going deeper, if my recollection is incorrect, then having people seated waaaay back there, he wouldn't be able to see the back of the bus in the rearview mirror anyway.

My cousins are 18. Like I said I wasn't there for the "Jewkillers" one but why would they make something like that up? And for the creepy bus driver - there was only about 5 other people on the bus. And there is a rearview mirror because all 5 of us including my boyfriend saw him staring back. That was the only time I was on a bus and they left the lights on the entire time.

ssidiouss@mac.c

LOL>> I think someone is making up stories. :hammer:

This thread is Wakkie Nu Nu.. you got to love it. I think your cousins are a bit full of themselves dont you think.. also.. how did the bus drive not crash if he was staring at your cousins legs the whole time? And whats the big deal if he did take a peek at your cousins legs.. if they were wearing such short skirts.. I dont think they are shy of having someone look at their legs. Also.. about the cm saying jewkillers.. I'm just gonna have to call the nonsense police in on that one!!

robynchic

Cynderella said:
My cousins are 18. Like I said I wasn't there for the "Jewkillers" one but why would they make something like that up? And for the creepy bus driver - there was only about 5 other people on the bus. And there is a rearview mirror because all 5 of us including my boyfriend saw him staring back. That was the only time I was on a bus and they left the lights on the entire time.
I really don't mean to knock you (heck, I'll test the mirror theory when I'm down there starting next week), but you can't be sure he was looking up their skirts. Simple reason using physics.
In dance, in theatre, in any occasion using a stage, the general policy is "If you can see them, they can see you." Using a reflection, if you can see the person's face and eyes and you don't have to adjust your position to be able to see it obviously, then they can see your face, too. The average female torso is about 15" to 17" <a href="http://www.relativeworkshop.com/saldoc_measuring.html#Torso">(Yes, I looked it up)</a>. So unless your cousin was on a really high part of the bus (because there are some buses that slope) and you were on a really low part, making her seat about level to your eyes, then he couldn't see both your face and her...erm...yeah.
That's the basic concept for spy glasses that have mirrors- you can look behind you to see what's in the immediate area. That's also the basic concept for the blind spot rule of thumb with semis (make sure you can see the driver in their sideview mirror, because then they can see your car)

So I'm sorry if what I think may be flawed, but as I said- I'm willing to test out your theory when I get to Florida. I can report back when I get the results.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom