CM Conduct

celestia

Number_6 said:
Not entirely accurate based on the training I received working in two separate areas of the WDW Resort. Yes, if you are working attractions you may come into some form of contact with the guests if it is to assist them in some way, such as a guest with a disability that wants the assistance and like you said, offer your arm in that sort of instance. What I had been told during my training was that I could not do something like the first CM mentioned had done, and physically move them, no matter how gently I did it. As far as protecting your physical safety, when I was at the Boardwalk working as Resort Dispatch, I had an airport shuttle driver decide he wanted to start something with me in front of guests because I wouldn't let him pull up where the valet parking cars are supposed to go. I made him go where Mears is contracted to park out in front of the resort. He even insinuated that he was willing to let it come to physical violence against me. After he left, I informed my manager and asked him if I had been assaulted, what would have happened if I defended myself. My manager's response, and this was the nice manager mind you, is that I would have been terminated on the spot since we are not allowed to touch the guests. My responsibility would be to get clear of the situation.

Thats how I was trained as well.
In attractions we may offer a hand during evacuations and such- for safety. We may not physically move someone as far as I know. Situation #1 definately sounds like it could have been handled differently.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
At certain attractions you also have top assist in loading/unloading (Jungle Cruise for example) or exitting during an evac (SSE) by "touching" a guest. So, depending on your specific area - tiki room vs. test track - you're instructed on what to do and when.

Standing directly infront of a guest and smiling is the easiest way to get them to move, btw.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Also, i'm seeing this event as a gentle thing, not any sort of grab/take movement.

Like, if you put you arm up to block someone from going forward but sorta in reverse - if that makes any sense.

Grabbing the kid by the shoulders or arm and moving them would be unacceptable unless in the most dire circumstances.

robynchic

CMs are allowed to touch guests if they need assistance with something (for instance, help in and out of the boat in the Jungle Cruise).

But all are trained HOW to touch someone. And it was reinforced after an incident in 2004...

Thelazer

The real question is, what's worse. Being fired because you touched a guest or being sued because you let that little kid get run over by the float.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I have one huge praise for the area supervisor and staff of DAK-Harambe Wildlife Safari. While on the safari, our son fell asleep (actually did it three out of the four times we rode this attraction) and was laying on top of my lanyard with our 3 AP's, room key with $1500 charging limit activation, Disney Dining Experience card, and Photo Pass. Well, during all the jarring, etc, the little plastic sleeve ripped from the lanyard and I noticed it missing about ten minutes after leaving the area. I went back to the stroller area backtracking to see if I could find it. One of the CM's called over the attraction supervisor (I am guessing) whose name was Jorge. He took me to both exit stations and checked to see if it had been turned in. Then he called ( I am assuming the area supervisor) whose name was Anthony (if I remember correctly) who imeadiatley called guest relations at the front, reported the items missing and advised me to check back at the exits in about 45 minutes, which I did. After no luck, I went up to guest relations expecting to have to have the APs replaced, room key voided, etc..etc...and they actually had the items that had been lost in the plastic sleeve. They advised that five minutes after the call a park CM found it and turned it in. I was so relieved.

This and our experiences with the CMs at Saratoga Springs were great. Our experiences at All Star Movies with package pick up was horrid. For the most part, I do not think the gift shop or the food court was sufficiently staffed as wait times to get packages were sometimes 30 minutes and 10 to 15 minutes to get breakfast items....

We had a bus driver that had a strong Latino accent and she was trying to tell us too much instead of driving. She hit the breaks constantly for no reason...would pump her breaks five or six times coming to each stop, and was giving out incorrect park information.

Prof Ecks

Am I the only one who thinks it is a bit ironic that a person writing about the poor English skills of some CM's cannot spell 'their' correctly? Or maybe they can but were too lazy to check their post before submitting it. :)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Prof Ecks said:
Am I the only one who thinks it is a bit ironic that a person writing about the poor English skills of some CM's cannot spell 'their' correctly? Or maybe they can but were too lazy to check their post before submitting it. :)

Pretty much....yes.

joshwill

TiggerRPh said:
No one's health was in danger. No where in Scott's post does it say that any of the mentioned kids were infectious or needed to quaranteed.

Now....it was a safety danger and something needed to be done. I'm not sure "pushing" was in order though, no matter how gentle is was. A redirection would probably been more appropriate.

perhaps heath is the wrong word, but standing at the exit of a moving walkway or escaltor is most definatly a safty risk. i work at a local sports arena and we always have that problem of moving people from the end of the escaltors before there is a hazard of those still on it not being able to get off. it can be very dangerous, people can get crushed, tramples and posibly caught in the escalator mechanism.

a gentle prodding was, imo, certainly in order if the guest was puposly ignoring the cm. if there was an imediate hazard, well, maybe stronger actions would be needed.

i think its utterly ridiculous the way some people act to a tap on the shoulder, a guiding arm or hand. ive seen people people threaten to sue because an usher tapped them on the should in order to ask them something.

get over it and move on.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
joshwill said:
perhaps heath is the wrong word, but standing at the exit of a moving walkway or escaltor is most definatly a safty risk. i work at a local sports arena and we always have that problem of moving people from the end of the escaltors before there is a hazard of those still on it not being able to get off. it can be very dangerous, people can get crushed, tramples and posibly caught in the escalator mechanism.

a gentle prodding was, imo, certainly in order if the guest was puposly ignoring the cm. if there was an imediate hazard, well, maybe stronger actions would be needed.

i think its utterly ridiculous the way some people act to a tap on the shoulder, a guiding arm or hand. ive seen people people threaten to sue because an usher tapped them on the should in order to ask them something.

get over it and move on.

For the most part, I find that alot of people totally lose all sense of who is around them and how their actions affect others when in the parks. A herd of people walking/saundering down main street six and seven wide, just decide to stop and gauk at something, then get upset when they get hit by strollers and people get frustrated walking around them. People that have issues at the turnstiles and dont step off to the side to let others pass through. Alot of little punk kids not being supervised making every one around them miserable. Exiting the bus and stopping to light a cigarette is one of my biggies....not to mention smoking in non smoking areas....

Five Claps for Common Sense!!!

DisneyInsider said:
As far as the incidents go, who knows where the complaints could have gone with that. Disney employs nearly 60,000 people. Among those there are bound to be a few bad apples, you can't make everyone perfect and they can't screen for everything in the interviews. If these were issues of true concern, I am sure that they were reported by the respective guests and everything was taken care of.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

I wish more people shared that point of view instead of damning the company every time that witness an ounce of un-Magic. (Regardless if the un-Magic was justified or not).

-Billy

adjonline

On the issue of language... I was an International CP CM the past summer. I'm from the UK, so language clearly wasn't a problem for me, but it was for some CMs from other countries. Many people were doing the ICP program in order to improve their English skills, so this isn't necessarily surprising. I agree it's not ideal, but given the cast shortage, help was badly needed. Any suggestion that "most CM's don't speak English" is frankly absurd.

On the issue of 'laziness'... It is inevitable that some CMs are not going to create manage and do it as a 'job'. CPs do among some have a bad reputation, but I think it's generally undeserved. I believe I'm quoting Lee Cockerell, Executive VP for Operations, in saying that it's inveitable that some of the best and some of the worst CMs were CPs - and the same is true for every 'type' of CM. There were some International CPs who, frankly, did not enjoy their experience. They had travelled primarily for a 'summer in the sun', they did not have a particular attraction to the Walt Disney World and this did show to guests. But equally, there were many ICPs creating magic on a regular basis and who it was a pleasure to know - and a valuable addition to the Resort. The most important point: despite the cast shortage, the company was not, from what I could see, retaining CMs who weren't properly performing. Of six people who were in my apartment on a three-month program, three were terminated before it concluded. The problem, naturally, is that it takes bad guest experiences before the CMs can be removed. This leads to the complaints we see, yet is inevitable. The real reason for concern would be where we see the same CMs acting wrongly over and over again.

And on the issue of CMs touching guests (as opposed to guests touching CMs, which is of course totally different)... It is generally completely unacceptable, but with certain exceptions where safety is at real risk. As I was lifeguarding at Blizzard Beach, I found myself touching guests on a regular basis, preventing them from drowning - it's the opposite of the normal legal basis, where CMs could be sued for not touching the guest!

fkflintstone

Ok ,Ok maybe I should'nt have used the word most.I did'nt mean to imply all CM's are lazy,its just when you see somthing like this in Disneyworld it stands out in contrast to everything else around you that seems so unlike the real world. I am not telling stories I saw a young CM standing in a store and his supervisor came over and asked what are you doing? he replied [cleaning]then the supervisor said[ how can you be cleaning with nothing in your hands?]he says [no i am working] she says well you've been standing here for a long time ,you need to go out back with me!I think they are rushing in the holiday help ,it was really busy last week. I made the comment about speaking with the CM's becouse it was something I really enjoyed in the past but I gave up after the sixth or seventh try [ asking is there a big crowd expected at MVMCP tonight and getting the reply ,no refills here sir]. Please forgive any spelling mistakes, I would'nt want to offend any one with a word spelled wrong.Even with these two small things my trip was still exellent and I would go back in a heartbeat,they were just comments about CM's

robynchic

fkflintstone said:
they were just comments about CM's
There are a lot of CMs on this forum, myself included. Saying "They were just comments about CMs" dismisses your actions as though they have no impact. Did you know that if you had said precisely where you were when you saw it happen, you could have gotten someone terminated? There are managers that read these boards. That's why some CMs on here refuse to make specific comments about their jobs.
Don't dismiss things like that so lightly. You could have had a major impact on someone's present and future.

Tom

Beta Return
Number_6 said:
Not entirely accurate based on the training I received working in two separate areas of the WDW Resort. Yes, if you are working attractions you may come into some form of contact with the guests if it is to assist them in some way, such as a guest with a disability that wants the assistance and like you said, offer your arm in that sort of instance. What I had been told during my training was that I could not do something like the first CM mentioned had done, and physically move them, no matter how gently I did it. As far as protecting your physical safety, when I was at the Boardwalk working as Resort Dispatch, I had an airport shuttle driver decide he wanted to start something with me in front of guests because I wouldn't let him pull up where the valet parking cars are supposed to go. I made him go where Mears is contracted to park out in front of the resort. He even insinuated that he was willing to let it come to physical violence against me. After he left, I informed my manager and asked him if I had been assaulted, what would have happened if I defended myself. My manager's response, and this was the nice manager mind you, is that I would have been terminated on the spot since we are not allowed to touch the guests. My responsibility would be to get clear of the situation.

I see a couple flaws in this story, not that I doubt the manager said it. First, the Mears bus driver was not a guest, technically, so the "rule" shouldn't apply. And secondly, you can't be terminated for defending yourself if you were cordial with the person/customer/coworker/guest and did nothing to provoke the incident, unless you literally and obviously FIGHT back (ie. throwing punches when you could easily slip away or subdue the instigator). You can defend yourself from injury by restraining, and there is NO justification in firing someone for that.

The "no touch" rule must be a Disney thing, for liability. I work at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as a "Yellow Shirt" (Safety Employee) for the Indy 500, Brickyard 400 and F1. I specifically work in Gasoline Alley, where the main pedestrian sidewalk runs behind the Pagoda and Main Inside Stands, and intersects with the driveway from the Garages to the Pits. We were specifically instructed to touch people in an effort to protect them. We stand guard at fences and let the pedestrians pass through, until the Pit or Garage Attendant blows a whistle, meaning a race car, golf cart, tire cart or other vehicle is speeding to/from the garage and pits. We have to hold up our arms and literally push the wall of people back. If a person, especially a child, escapes and ends up in the driveway or tries to cross, we are to grab them and pull them back to the side - to keep them from getting run over. I guess there is WAY more liability in having someone get run over, than by slightly injuring them by moving them quickly. Of course, it's the only street in the country where the pedestrians DO NOT have the right-of-way! If a race car needs to get to the pits, they don't stop - period :)

Merlin

Account Suspended
robynchic said:
There are a lot of CMs on this forum, myself included. Saying "They were just comments about CMs" dismisses your actions as though they have no impact. Did you know that if you had said precisely where you were when you saw it happen, you could have gotten someone terminated? There are managers that read these boards. That's why some CMs on here refuse to make specific comments about their jobs.
Don't dismiss things like that so lightly. You could have had a major impact on someone's present and future.

Are you saying Disney management will discipline CMs based on things they've read on this message board?

robynchic

Merlin said:
Are you saying Disney management will discipline CMs based on things they've read on this message board?
Yes. Cast Members have been terminated for what is said on this- and other- boards.

Metallica_Band

SpongeScott said:
Upon the third time asking, the CM gently pushed him out of the way, forcing him back. It took two or three little nudges to get him to move. Are CM's allowed to touch guests like this?
Ok...you're complaining about a cast member nudging a guest in order to ensure guest safety? Makes perfect sense to me :rolleyes:

Number_6 said:
And secondly, you can't be terminated for defending yourself if you were cordial with the person/customer/coworker/guest and did nothing to provoke the incident
Not from what *I* was told...according to the Disney rules, you can't touch a guest in ANY a violent way...I'll even throw you a few hypothetical situations:

Let's say a guest starts a fight with a CM/guest. You are NOT allowed to get involved physically. You can NOT protect the CM/guest in any way. You are to tell a manager or Disney Security.

Alright, lets say a CM/guest starts a fight with YOU. You can NOT fight back (well at least with the guest part) to protect yourself. What do you gotta do according to the Disney rules? You gotta sit there getting your a55 kicked hoping for a guest, CM, or police to come to your aid.

Now even worse, let's say you see a girl getting pushed around/hit/physically abused. You can NOT come to her aid. What are you SUPPOSED to do according to Mickey's house rules? You are to go tell a manager or Disney security. And do you know what? THEY are ALSO Disney employees and are bound by Disney's laws. They are to contact the police. Now THEY can actually do something about the incident. If you get involved then you're as good as terminated.

The athorities go over Disney's rules as they are not Disney employees. So while the poor guest/CM is getting abused, a whole process has to occur before in order to get an actual police officer to the scene of the crime.

Now this is what I was told and what I understand about how CM's are to deal with violent situations involving guests or other CM's. Now if someone could clarify this for me, as I have a hard time believing what I just said, then please do. I would like to think that there was SOMETHING we could do to help the innocent guests/CM's.

DisneyInsider said:
they can't screen for everything in the interviews.
Heh...Disney barely does ANY screening. Especially CP's. They practically hire you on the spot. Disney NEEDS more employees and they know it thus the vey easy acception.

Merlin

Account Suspended
robynchic said:
Yes. Cast Members have been terminated for what is said on this- and other- boards.

That seems pretty low. While I've occasionally made no secret about my opinions toward CMs with poor attitudes (I don't believe they represent the norm), I do believe this forum ought to be a "safe haven" for CMs to express their honest opinions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom