Clues to the Disney's New Fifth Park?

MickeyTigg

LetsGtDangerous said:
So is the STOLport visable then from the EPCOT monorail track? If so, where should one look, at what point?

What's left of it...it's on the east side of the track, right around the main parking lot for Magic Kingdom.

bgraham34

He has a few valid points. I can see Iger definately wanting to make a name for himself. So a fifth park might just be that. But only time can tell.

kaylasmom

FYI Osceola is not entirely a toll. You can hop on it for free near Disney World past the 417 --

That part is true, however:

If you are coming from downtown Kissimmee or the Turnpike, you cannot avoid the toll, so whether or not you can get on the Parkway from I-Drive or the 417 for free doesn't mean that it is any less of a toll road. From Poinciana Blvd on back to Dyer is a minimum of $1.50 to go all the way down the Parkway. And this includes avoiding all the congestion on 192 up to I-Drive, which is the point of the Parkway in the first place. Essentially, if you are staying at the Gaylord, or any of the hotels on 192 near old town, you won't have to pay the toll. However, I don't consider that a significant stretch of toll free highway, it's right around the corner from the start of WDW property!!!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I really feel Kevin Yee is grasping at straws... I think he moved to FL, doesn't know squat about WDW versus DL, has gotten flack that he doesn't write about WDW (miceage gets lots of mail saying "why do you only write about DL?") and now is trying to make something over nothing - kinda like Jim Hill.

I know he has a deadline for publication, but he could try going to WDW more often (It doesnt lend itself to being a mall like DL does though) and come up with stuff worth writing about. There is a lot of real stuff going on.

Steve-B

Source of photo

Off topic, I know, but does anyone know where the satellite photo he used as a "map" came from?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Ok, I don't know about whether or not it's being used, but I just got back last night. During the past week, there have been a lot of cars parked just off of World Drive, near the MK parking lots. And the sign pointing them to this lot? STOLPort.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
HauntedPirate said:
Ok, I don't know about whether or not it's being used, but I just got back last night. During the past week, there have been a lot of cars parked just off of World Drive, near the MK parking lots. And the sign pointing them to this lot? STOLPort.

It's used for bus staging and some special event parking

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Stoloport

They use it for castmember parking when they have the huge warehouse sales. Sometimes you'll see cars parked there.

~heather

TiggerRPh said:
What's left of it...it's on the east side of the track, right around the main parking lot for Magic Kingdom.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Fallen Angel said:
They use it for castmember parking when they have the huge warehouse sales. Sometimes you'll see cars parked there.

~heather

among it's many uses.. lol

sometimes you'll see "my friend" doing donuts in his "automobile" at 4am

cknight66

No new park before 2010

The article was a cool read, but the area in that article isn't for theme park development. Although Disney has already outlined where it will build its 5th park (and possibly a 6th and 7th), they are committed to increasing the density of the current developments on property. However, even though many things are subject to change based on the current business climate (and political), too much has gone into the infrastructure that is already in place.

For a 5th park, I would take a close look at the current Magic Kingdom parking lot. As strange as it may seem, just take a look at disney theme park configurations all over the world, disney's infrastructure on the Florida property, and current and forecasted guest flow patterns.

I invite everyone to check out the Reedy Creek Development's online and offline plans they have posted for the future of Disney World. It's all information that the public can take a look at, digest, and run with!

Rosso11

cknight66 said:
I invite everyone to check out the Reedy Creek Development's online and offline plans they have posted for the future of Disney World. It's all information that the public can take a look at, digest, and run with!

Wow there is some really interesting information on that site. Thanks for the heads up. One queation does anybody know how to get the maps they don't seem to come up for me? They sound like really interesting maps.

degunter

STOLport and New "Western Way" Road

I posted this little map I drew up to locate the STOLport at Disney.

CLICK HERE

I did quite abit of digging when I first found out about the new Access from the west. Here is part of an email I sent out at that time:

Have you guys heard about the new Road they are building to access Disney from the West.

I am not sure it will be beneficial for us, but it is still new news....

Basically, they are building a new toll road that will connect I-4 to The Florida Turnpike and that road will run on the West Side of Disney property. It will connect somewhere near the first Kissimmee exit.... they one before the Mickey power lines where the only thing there right now is a Publix.... it will be somewhere around there and then run north. It will Cross over 192 behind the Publix that is on 192 a couple miles past Splendid China and all that stuff. Then North and West of Animal Kingdom there will be a Reedy Creek interchange on the Toll Road.... you will get off their and take a new Disney road that will snake its way East, just to the North of Animal Kingdom and then eventually head south and snake its way through the woods, cross over Reedy Creek and end up Right next to Coronado Springs by Blizzard Beach on Buena Vista Drive...... I saw them clearing the land on the way home from Night of Joy and got me interested in what they were doing..... I found the attached photos and maps of the area affected.

Western_Way.jpg

map2234.jpg

INTERCHANGE.jpg

I think it will be good for those coming from the North on I-75. It will give them more direct access to Disney. I do not seeing beneficial for anyone else though.

Shaman

cknight66 said:
The article was a cool read, but the area in that article isn't for theme park development. Although Disney has already outlined where it will build its 5th park (and possibly a 6th and 7th), they are committed to increasing the density of the current developments on property. However, even though many things are subject to change based on the current business climate (and political), too much has gone into the infrastructure that is already in place.

For a 5th park, I would take a close look at the current Magic Kingdom parking lot. As strange as it may seem, just take a look at disney theme park configurations all over the world, disney's infrastructure on the Florida property, and current and forecasted guest flow patterns.

Interesting post! :D

I think the MiceAge article is a fun read...and though it makes interesting observations...I'm not buying it...at least not yet.

Someone in this thread already mentioned it...Bob Iger while going back to the basics is also focusing on alternative forms of delivering entertainment. I mean lets face it...we're living in times where theme park is in direct competition with other forms of entertainment (some more cutting edge), most of which people find inside their homes. And looking ahead, more and more will be click away. Disney themselves is looking for ways to deliver their content much quicker to consumers. Just look at the comments Iger has made about movie theaters and DVDs...

So, if they were to invest in yet another park, they would have to come up with something spectacular (and perhaps something expensive) to compete (in the long run) with the changing entertainment business landscape.

I mean, people will always travel. But theme parks have much more competition now than they've ever had...not just from rival parks...but from other forms of entertainment. The Disney big wigs know this, so to say that Disney will open a new park every 8 years is silly....we're talking about a lot of money here...and there are many factors to look at...

I trust Disney put a lot of thought on this road deal that they made...and I'm sure they stand to gain some if not a lot from it...

One thing the MiceAge article does, is point us to one question...what (if anything) will be built?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom