Clues to the Disney's New Fifth Park?

NowInc

Also unlikley but interesting none the less is IF this is the position of a new park, its prime real estate for a monorail expansion.

NowInc

ok..let me clarify that since im sure already there are people getting all worked up over that statement.

If they were to build a new TTC at the north end of that property..they could tack on the existing monorail system to it without much alteration..PLUS make more routes to the other areas of the resort.

Do i think this will happen...nope..but just saying :)

MickeyTigg

Logan5 said:
I know this sounds far fetched, but that would be a perfect spot for an airport.....

Ah disney mysterys

Already been rumored back in 1999.

And technically....WDW already has had one....

STOLport - Former private aircraft landing area on World Drive (located to the right just past the Magic Kingdom Toll Plaza). STOL stands for "Short Take Off & Landing."

ZapperZ

Logan5 said:
i realize its nearby, this is just far fetched dreaming on my part

but wouldnt it be fun to get on your disney flight from your hometown and fly right into the heart of disney, getting of in the beautiful new disney airport with its gift shops and conections to all the fun on property...

Then you will have MCO employees complaining to the state of Florida that Disney is depriving them of their livelyhood by providing their guests with the most convenient means to get to WDW.

[I'm using the DME theme here]

:)

Zz.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
TiggerRPh said:
Already been rumored back in 1999.

And technically....WDW already has had one....

STOLport - Former private aircraft landing area on World Drive (located to the right just past the Magic Kingdom Toll Plaza). STOL stands for "Short Take Off & Landing."

Well, the STOLport was never used. Active runway, yes, but it has never had a plane takeoff/land there.

fillerup

Thrawn said:
Plus, more importantly, it is a toll road. Disney doesn't want its guests getting hit by tolls trying to get to the park. Granted, the toll isn't anywhere near WDW, but if people are coming from up north they would get hit by it.

Disney was more than happy to partner its Reedy Creek Improvement District with Osceola County to build the Osceola Parkway - a toll road.

Disney was instrumental in promoting and partially funding this project. After 10 years, this roadway is only now beginning to pay for itself - as the original ridership projects turned out to be grossly overestimated.

Mecha Figment

I do think the theory that it will be a rival to islands of adventure is actualy a very good theory. it's the only thing out there that disney does not have a rival too. and we know that it wont be an interactive park since that idea floped everywhere except in orlando.

it may be an expansion of animal kingdom
perhaps a marine part. but i doubt it.

my guess is it will be something along the lines of callifornia adventure.

MickeyTigg

Thrawn said:
As far as I remember (haven't driven down in a long time) there are no tolls on I-95/I-4 in Florida.

Thrawn...my man...but you gotta look on a map. The Florida Turnpike connects with I-75 sout of Ocala and goes through Orlando on the way for Fort Pierce and Miami.

Any guest driving from the north on the freeway will have to use it to connect to I-4 and then WDW.

Huge Dreamer

Thrawn said:
As far as I remember (haven't driven down in a long time) there are no tolls on I-95/I-4 in Florida.
If they come from I-75 they have toll roads.
Mortimermouse said:
The route would take visitors driving down the Interstate 75/Florida's Turnpike corridor into Disney from State Road 429, the Western Beltway toll road being built through western Orange County.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
TiggerRPh said:
Thrawn...my man...but you gotta look on a map. The Florida Turnpike connects with I-75 sout of Ocala and goes through Orlando on the way for Fort Pierce and Miami.

Any guest driving from the north on the freeway will have to use it to connect to I-4 and then WDW.

If you are coming from the east coast, "my man", you go I-95 to I-4. Thats it. As I said, I do not remember any tolls on those roads in Florida.

MickeyTigg

Thrawn said:
Well, the STOLport was never used. Active runway, yes, but it has never had a plane takeoff/land there.

I think you're wrong here...

When Walt Disney World opened in 1971, Shawnee Airlines began regular passenger service from Orlando's McCoy Airport directly to Disney World's own STOLport,using 19 seat DeHavilland Twin Otters. The actual flight time was only a few minutes.Shawnee was the only airline ever to fly directly into the Magic Kingdom. Unfortunately for the Disney Airport, in the late 1970s / early 1980s a monorail extension to EPCOT Center was constructed, which placed an elevated monorail track just north of the runway. Therefore by the 1980s Disney no longer allowed anyone to land at the Lake Buena Vista STOLport.

Huge Dreamer

Thrawn said:
If you are coming from the east coast, "my man", you go I-95 to I-4. Thats it. As I said, I do not remember any tolls on those roads in Florida.
The route would take visitors driving down I-75 not I-95.

MickeyTigg

Thrawn said:

Oh of course...and they would be the only people driving to WDW. Let's forget all those coming from Georgia and locations to the north and west.

:rolleyes:

Epcot82Guy

Just a few observations about this (and nothing about MiceAge since this was CLEARLY just presented as general observations and theories which is great).

1. I agree that yellow box is a bit off in that it looks to have completely cut out Downtown Disney. However, that is a bit of a moot point.

2. I think the thrill park concept may have some weight, but it would defeat the purpose to an extent. It seems instead the model is to infuse them into the existing parks (with the exception of MK, perhaps). IOA, while it has done well, has not proven the exceptionally successful Disney competitor it once heralded itself as. It seems to be attracting a different audience. Now, that may be an argument in and of itself in that that might be another audience for Disney to tap into (but we can save that for another time). Therefore, the Big Iron park is HIGHLY unlikely.

3. The concept of Big Iron also seems against what Iger is preaching. Eisner got a lot of flack for turning Disney into "just another park" at times. Therefore, to do a huge step in that direction just seems against some of his current trends for restoring and getting back to more traditional roots (although we will have to see how long that lasts).

4. I also think we might be getting a bit closed-minded about what is being built. Disney is running somewhat on empty when it comes to projects funded by themselves. However, Iger and others have pushed toward "alternative" entertainment venues going in. To see a large mall, a theater and surrounding district, etc. would not be out of the question. Also, to have perhaps a more permanent living area (i.e. condos) would be a possibility as well (since Vegas is apparently going this route). That land will likely become something, and I think the road might be playing to that, but what that entails is still very blue sky and not necessarily heralnding a new park (yet).

Just my thoughts.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
TiggerRPh said:
Oh of course...and they would be the only people driving to WDW. Let's forget all those coming from Georgia and locations to the north and west.

:rolleyes:

The discussion was over people coming from the NORTH.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
TiggerRPh said:
I think you're wrong here...

When Walt Disney World opened in 1971, Shawnee Airlines began regular passenger service from Orlando's McCoy Airport directly to Disney World's own STOLport,using 19 seat DeHavilland Twin Otters. The actual flight time was only a few minutes.Shawnee was the only airline ever to fly directly into the Magic Kingdom. Unfortunately for the Disney Airport, in the late 1970s / early 1980s a monorail extension to EPCOT Center was constructed, which placed an elevated monorail track just north of the runway. Therefore by the 1980s Disney no longer allowed anyone to land at the Lake Buena Vista STOLport.

Every source I've ever seen says it was never used. Even Disney's own information (I believe it was "Since the World Began" but I could be mistaken).

fillerup

Originally Posted by Thrawn

Huge Dreamer said:
The route would take visitors driving down I-75 not I-95.

No - as Thrawn posted, if you're coming from the east coast, it's I-95. I-75 goes south and westerly from north central Florida to Tampa and points south.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Thrawn said:

Just looking at a map wouldn't it be faster from the southeast to pay the toll and use the turnpike? It seems 95 goes way east of where you'd want to end up and then you have to come back west whereas the turnpike semi-beelines towards Orlando.

Huge Dreamer

fillerup said:
No - as Thrawn posted, if you're coming from the east coast, it's I-95. I-75 goes south and westerly from north central Florida to Tampa and points south.
Thrawn didn't say from the East Coast or North East, he said from the North as in the direction. I live Northern Florida have to take I-75 south.

edit: The route is ment for the people comeing off the Turnpike.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom