Club 32 Lounge

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My personal thought process was that if Grizzly Peak at HKDLR is popular, probably an American Emphasis would follow suit in Australia.... :bookworm: Plus... I think it could avoid getting into the issues DCA had (California Adventure in California, Australia Attractions in Australia).
That's a fair point, but...that said, I'm not sure "colonial" is the best entrance to a park, as a theme opener...especially as it is rather close to other time periods already represented within the park.

That is what sparked my comment.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I've been thinking about that for the entrance and might want to change that up a bit to be less specific to locations. From the past discussions I remember one thing we wanted to do was not follow the progression of parks like DCA and have it be too tied to its nations park. But if you have any suggestions we're all open to them. The Colonial entrance was one I was tackling so if you have any thoughts on that I'd be glad to hear them on how to improve it!
I don't have a great idea here, so that is the issue. I LIKE the idea, but seems a bit more like shoving Liberty Square to Main St...yaknow? And, I'm not sure it...fits...for what is essentially a Castle Park.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
ENCHANTED TIKI WORLD
Tiki Room dark ride

(Reimagining the Enchanted Tiki Room from an AA show into a trackless dark ride, while maintaining the original's charm. A fairly tentative brainstorming effort.)

View attachment 200336

From the outside, it seems like the classic Tiki Room. A thatched Hawaiian "Tiki Temple" sits beyond the tiki gardens, full of gentle flowing streams. The barker parrot from Disneyland's first few months is reintroduced to draw guests in. They queue past interactive Tangaroa & Friends idols, pulsing into the hut. Guests inside sit in the "theater-in-the-round" setting, in one of four seating sections facing the center, with sleeping animatronic birds above - the same setup as usual. It's all actually a little disappointing so far, since this room only features the central four (Jose, Pierre, Fritz, and Michael). No other animatronics.

Jose et al start their standard show at a cast member's beckoning. After their usual opening dialogue, the "Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room" song begins...and the four seat sections move - each is a trackless vehicle like Tokyo's higher-capacity Beauty & the Beast variety. (This reveal - it's not a show, it's a ride - is meant to be a pleasant show-stopping surprise.) Cars reverse through what was once a wall, and into the larger interior of the Tiki Temple, built into the side of an ocean cliff. It is here where we reveal the massive cast of singing AA birds in a tropical longhouse setting, complete with Adventurer Club details, plus fun elements like a "living" ship in a bottle, lava lamps, bubbling mai tais, etc.

View attachment 200337

(Groups of cars will head out into the ride roughly every minute. I picture we would use two separate theater rooms for the start, so one is loading while the other is performing. Timing should be leisurely, allowing guests enough time in each room to enjoy the songs at an appropriate pace. If each car holds 8 (2 rows of 4), and 4 go out at once, hourly capacity should be 1,920.)

Show scenes become dark ride set pieces. The "glee club" chorus of white cockatiels is set on a spinning Bubsy Berkeley fountain stage (in a room full of aquariums and mermaids) around which cars circle. Cockatiels sing "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing." All throughout the ride, Jose and pals appear, singing and emceeing. Cars spin and they dance tracklessly with the music.

Cars exit the Tiki Temple into the enchanted nighttime jungle, teeming with all manner of exotic bird species. (Easter egg: Up's Kevin). The birds give a Hawaiian luau performance around a fire pit, joined in by animatronic suckling pigs on the serving platters and animatronic fish hooked on lines. Also little animated "dancing hula girl" figurines.

View attachment 200338

Past tiki torches and past waves crashing on the sandy shoreline. The scent of saltwater. Living, singing orchids and birds-of-paradise perform "The Hula Song." Past palm trees carved into idols. Waterways from the inland pineapple plantations sparkle and dance with Bellagio-style fountain effects.

Through a giant Moai's mouth (Easter Island head). Alongside warm glowing lava flows, where crude tiki statues and Moai all sing the "Hawaiian War Chant." A few statues surf the lava. Ritualistic drumming and dancing! Crescendo! The distant volcano erupts (screen effect). Michael: "The gods have been angered by all our celebratin'."

View attachment 200342

Cars retreat for shelter inside a dreamlike glow worm cavern behind a soothing one waterfall. Amidst beached Kon Tiki boats, the cave glistens and the entire cast - one room filled with over 50 animatronic wonders! - sings us out with a rousing climactic medley. (The exit leads to Dole Whips.)

(I'd considered an alternate version which instead explored the backstory of what magic enchants the Tiki Room, but I've opted here instead for something closer to the original show. Much of the artwork credit must go to our collective muse, @TomThordarson.)
@JackWatkinson
Q5NnBt9.png

MonorailRed

Applebees
That's a fair point, but...that said, I'm not sure "colonial" is the best entrance to a park, as a theme opener...especially as it is rather close to other time periods already represented within the park.

That is what sparked my comment.

I think you're totally right on that note then! :D Maybe something different like Shanghai and Tokyo has?

@spacemt354 what do you think about changing Boston since you're the lead? :p

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I don't have a great idea here, so that is the issue. I LIKE the idea, but seems a bit more like shoving Liberty Square to Main St...yaknow? And, I'm not sure it...fits...for what is essentially a Castle Park.
It's a good point -- the castle that @FigmentPigments is designing is based on Fantasia. What do you think of having the entrance be Fantasia Gardens or something similar?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I think you're totally right on that note then! :D Maybe something different like Shanghai and Tokyo has?

@spacemt354 what do you think about changing Boston since you're the lead? :p
Unpopular, but whaling was actually a rather large Australian economy for a while. Not saying you make attractions where people gut whales, but...the time period could be interesting...

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Unpopular, but whaling was actually a rather large Australian economy for a while. Not saying you make attractions where people gut whales, but...the time period could be interesting...
Ooh...that's actually not too bad!

This whole resort was planned to be designed on the water so a harbor type entrance to the park would be pretty unique. @D Hindley thoughts on this?

*I think it would also blend into your Pacific Wharf nicely.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It's a good point -- the castle that @FigmentPigments is designing is based on Fantasia. What do you think of having the entrance be Fantasia Gardens or something similar?
I think that would be unique for a modern park, personally.

The issue with Main St. USA is any other time, trying to be any other thing...carries with it all sorts of not only political issues, but regional ones as well...(or just flat out copying it like some other castle parks have done)...

I'm not proposing the concepts be scrapped...but as an entrance, perhaps it's not the best first experience?

I dunno, I'm just rambling. You know me...

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I think that would be unique for a modern park, personally.

The issue with Main St. USA is any other time, trying to be any other thing...carries with it all sorts of not only political issues, but regional ones as well...(or just flat out copying it like some other castle parks have done)...

I'm not proposing the concepts be scrapped...but as an entrance, perhaps it's not the best first experience?

I dunno, I'm just rambling. You know me...
I'm all for the whaling/harbor entrance now...especially with a few of the lands dealing with water elements.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm all for the whaling/harbor entrance now...especially with a few of the lands dealing with water elements.
I'd avoid whaling mentions, outside of harbor / design influences.

But, yeah, I think you see the idea...?

As Red pointed out, it also makes for an interesting other areas...

Making it obviously whaling, though...is a fail.

Perhaps something more akin to the section of DisneySEA?

D Hulk

Ooh...that's actually not too bad!

This whole resort was planned to be designed on the water so a harbor type entrance to the park would be pretty unique. @D Hindley thoughts on this?

*I think it would also blend into your Pacific Wharf nicely.
Hmm. Interesting turn we've taken. I'd be interested to see some photos of the sort of whaling harbor we have in mind, 'cause it'd be really easy to blur it together too much with Pacific Wharf.

In many ways, Pacific Wharf is like DisneySea's American Waterfront. Could something more like their Mediterranean Harbor entry land work for us too? Not a direct copy, obviously, but something else distinct.

How do the Aussies feel about Old England? That would compliment the U.S. Pacific Wharf and also tie in with the castle.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I'd avoid whaling mentions, outside of harbor / design influences.

But, yeah, I think you see the idea...?

As Red pointed out, it also makes for an interesting other areas...

Making it obviously whaling, though...is a fail.

Perhaps something more akin to the section of DisneySEA?
Just some old photos of Sydney in the early 1900s (which is around the same time period of @D Hindley 's Pacific Wharf (1905)
vintage-glass-plate-images-streets-sydney-city-australia-1900s-xix-century-71.jpg

Sydney_Darling_Harbour_1900.ss.jpg

32206833775_3b661e6b2c_b.jpg

Could basically be both sides of the Pacific -- a Sydney to San Fran transition across the ocean?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
vintage-glass-plate-images-streets-sydney-city-australia-1900s-xix-century-71.jpg

This, I think, could make for a very interesting first entry... Have a very concealed berm that they pass through, and you walk from modern world, into the 1900s busy street...

Not something Disney has really done.

Not sure how to make it transition, but it is more unique than a colonial era (which is Liberty Square) or Frontier Era (which is Red's)....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom