Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I still find it hard to believe the jump to incorporate the current hot IP into an attraction that will be around after interest in that IP has waned. Established franchises such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Twighlight Zone, Pixar films, etc. have the ability of span multiple generations. Those like Avatar or GoG while popular do not. Disney is devoting billions to Avatar land for an IP that may be considerably damaged if the next set of movies underperform. (lets face it Cameron makes some blockbuster movies, but is there the anticipation ala Star Wars for the next set of Avatar movies?) GoG is similar but more akin to Frozen. Do you think in 5-10 years that people will really flock to these IPs the way they're doing now, especially if something newer and better comes out? It will be like the Tronorail that overstayed its welcome by 3 years.

DrewmanS

Don't know if any of the OP rumor is true, but here are a few things to consider:
1). DHS is going away (the name at least). We don't know the new name or overall concept of the park. We do know it's getting at least 2 new lands. It's possible that ToT and RnRC will need new theming to fit into the new park concept.
2) Its obvious that Mission:Breakout will be the gateway to a new land (likely Marvels themed) in DCA. It's part of a bigger plan. Changes at WDW are likely also part of a bigger plan.
3). Let's look at a recent change in concept, Disney Springs. There is a backstory, they built infrastructure to support the theme (springs, bridges, elevated tracks) and updated existing structures to fit the new concept.
4) Can we stop using the word "Overlay" for everything. Nightmare Before Christmas or Country Bears Christmas are overlays. Gutting Maelstrom for Frozen is not an overlay. Adding Muppets to Liberty Square, Pizza Planet into Pizza Rizzo, Alien Encounter to Stitch, and Mr. Toad to Pooh are not overlays. While they use some existing infrastructure, they are a re-imagineering of a new ride/experience. Mission:Breakout is not ToT with an "Under new Management" sign out front.

Jess G

Upsetting for sure but does not surprise me at all. Twilight zone is appealing to us but deff not to children anymore. These kids don't know or appreciate twilight zone but they sure do know the guardians. This ride I'm sure will be changed eventually regardless, as each year goes by the younger generation riding TOT understands its theming less and less. Children who never went to wdw are not begging there parents for twilight zone but they are begging for guardians and frozen... Guess its time to accept that disney isn't only for adults lol

RSoxNo1

4) Can we stop using the word "Overlay" for everything. Nightmare Before Christmas or Country Bears Christmas are overlays. Gutting Maelstrom for Frozen is not an overlay. Adding Muppets to Liberty Square, Pizza Planet into Pizza Rizzo, Alien Encounter to Stitch, and Mr. Toad to Pooh are not overlays. While they use some existing infrastructure, they are a re-imagineering of a new ride/experience. Mission:Breakout is not ToT with an "Under new Management" sign out front.
The nomenclature argument aside, shoehorns/overlays are rarely if ever preferred over new builds. In the case of Maelstrom, yes the attraction was mediocre at best and Frozen is a better attraction. But a new build would have allowed for more capacity. That doesn't even address the thematic issues that present themselves with inappropriate IP being shoved down our throats.

Tower in DCA shouldn't be a sacred attraction but it's also not a problem either. It's one of the few attractions that fit the theme of that park and they're removing that theme in favor of a new land that doesn't fit the theme of the park. That's the objection to it.

Tower in DHS is the best version of one of the best attraction concepts Disney has done. It is absolutely sacred and if replaced with a shoehorn/overlay would be infinitely worse than Frozen Ever After from a decision making standpoint. I don't understand the mindset of fixing things that aren't broken when there's so many broken things that need fixing.

montyz81

I am going to get a true digital lashing for this, but I would prefer that they do the overlay of TOT with GotG rather then gut and replace Energy with GoTG. If they do what I think they are going to do to Energy, there is no going back. At least with ToT they could go back to the original IP.

GoTG just does not fit in FW/Epcot. It fits better in Hollywood Studios period!

It will be Horizons (albeit not at the same scale) all over again. We can never go back to an updated version of Horizons. We will never be able to go back and update Energy!

RSoxNo1

I am going to get a true digital lashing for this, but I would prefer that they do the overlay of TOT with GotG rather then gut and replace Energy with GoTG. If they do what I think they are going to do to Energy, there is no going back. At least with ToT they could go back to the original IP.

GoTG just does not fit in FW/Epcot. It fits better in Hollywood Studios period!

It will be Horizons (albeit not at the same scale) all over again. We can never go back to an updated version of Horizons. We will never be able to go back and update Energy!
We're already at the point of no return with Epcot. Theming be damned.

The front half of Hollywood Studios is designed as a build up to Tower of Terror. I would rather have Spaceship Earth gutted and replaced with a Guardians attraction than Tower of Terror.

HauntedMansionFLA

The front half of Hollywood Studios is designed as a build up to Tower of Terror. I would rather have Spaceship Earth gutted and replaced with a Guardians attraction than Tower of Terror.
I always thought Star Wars would take over future world with re-theme of rides. SE might be next in line after UOE.

jaques21

I always figured it was going to be ToT and not Epcots Ellen's Energy Adventure. The concept art for the Guardians of the Galaxy ride looks exactly like the building of ToT. Maybe something new we are not aware of might becoming to replace Ellen at Epcot!

Magenta Panther

I still find it hard to believe the jump to incorporate the current hot IP into an attraction that will be around after interest in that IP has waned. Established franchises such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Twighlight Zone, Pixar films, etc. have the ability of span multiple generations. Those like Avatar or GoG while popular do not. Disney is devoting billions to Avatar land for an IP that may be considerably damaged if the next set of movies underperform. (lets face it Cameron makes some blockbuster movies, but is there the anticipation ala Star Wars for the next set of Avatar movies?) GoG is similar but more akin to Frozen. Do you think in 5-10 years that people will really flock to these IPs the way they're doing now, especially if something newer and better comes out? It will be like the Tronorail that overstayed its welcome by 3 years.

Very good points. And never mind Pixar being underrepresented in favor of flash-in-the-pan IPs - where's The Jungle Book in the parks? Mary Poppins? A Lion King dark ride? Why isn't there a Pride Lands attraction being built in AK instead of Pandora?

montyz81

I do get that old world Hollywood feeling when I get to the end of Sunset Blvd and see Rockin Roller coaster. ToT is far easier to re-theme then SSE. Hollywood studios has absolutely no cohesion anyway so it makes so much more sense even over the outdated themeing of Epcot.

MagicMike

Don't know if any of the OP rumor is true, but here are a few things to consider:
1). DHS is going away (the name at least). We don't know the new name or overall concept of the park. We do know it's getting at least 2 new lands. It's possible that ToT and RnRC will need new theming to fit into the new park concept.

Fit into the new park concept? The one that is building Star Wars on the opposite side of Toy Story with The Muppets in between? I'd say keeping ToT the way it is wouldn't exactly shatter the thematic immersion.

Seabasealpha1

I see no situation where I'd sacrifice ToT for UoE
I see a situation now...

Sacrifice one ride (ToT) in a park that's already ripped to pieces (true pending a "new" path soon) or sacrifice a ride in a park (Epcot) that still mostly has it's crap together...only to result in that park getting ripped to shreds too...

Sorry...I'll save the living. (Though until a certain weatherman and his goons are de-throned, I'm not sure we can stop the spread of the disease just yet...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom